Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you change degree focus once you started. From security to regular. I.T. For example.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yes

i had to ... lets just say me and microsoft didn't quite see eye to eye
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Did they reevaluate your credits and did you have to pay extra?what did you end up changing too?
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For the individuals who have taken the 3 programming courses (KET1, KFT1, DJV1), how difficult are they for someone without programming experience?

How long did it take you to complete them?
  • VisionITTechVisionITTech Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lots of information here...Thx!
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    Is there a thread already that recommends certain books,videos, etc for the non general ED classes? I have seem some here and there throughout WGU threads but forgot to document it as I was going through.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    For the individuals who have taken the 3 programming courses (KET1, KFT1, DJV1), how difficult are they for someone without programming experience?

How long did it take you to complete them?

For KET1 and KFT1 it has taken about a month each. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with the etext they give you. There are better books out there. The programming courses are in need of revisions and the school has even stated so a few times.

What course is DJV1?
    WGU grad
  • snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long does it typically take to get the assessment results back? I took the assessment tests last night, but still have not heard anything.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    @Drover - I documented everything I could think of in my thread: The WGU Challenge. It's pretty long but has lots of good info about every class. PM me if you have any questions about anything I put in there.

@jmasterj206 - DJV1 is Web Dev Fundamentals. That course sucks.It was my first MTA exam and I thought it was fairly comperable to their professional level exams like 70-680. The rest of the MTA exams were cake.

Correction: DFV1 was Web Dev. DJV1 is Software Dev Fund. Much easier. After passing DFV1, all the other MTAs are a walk in the park. It is programming heavy, but the test isn't as difficult and the textbook is better.
    snapdad wrote: »
    How long does it typically take to get the assessment results back? I took the assessment tests last night, but still have not heard anything.

You should get them rather quickly. I would think later today or tomorrow based on my experience.
    swild wrote: »
    @Drover - I documented everything I could think of in my thread: The WGU Challenge. It's pretty long but has lots of good info about every class. PM me if you have any questions about anything I put in there.

Thanks, I have been lurking your thread and remember you did mention some Java books I will check it out when the time comes. Definitely some useful information in your thread!
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    swild wrote: »

@jmasterj206 - DJV1 is Web Dev Fundamentals. That course sucks.It was my first MTA exam and I thought it was fairly comperable to their professional level exams like 70-680. The rest of the MTA exams were cake.

swild, you're thinking of DFV1.

DJV1 is Software Development Fundamentals
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    you are right, I corrected it. All this ICND2 studying is taking it's toll.
    does the diploma state the concentration or just bs in IT?
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    does the diploma state the concentration or just bs in IT?

From what I have read on here, it is just BS in IT no matter which IT degree.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I know i've spoken in PM with Excellent1 and have looked through Foxxer's thread on the subject. However I wanted to see if I could get any more input from the folks who have done a BS at WGU and are in the process of a MS, more specifically the MS:ISA. I've looked over some of the COS' and tasks for task stream and they don't seem out of the realm of my ability. Just wanted to hear other folks experience with the program and potential roadblocks and also words of encouragement.

Just spoke with my mentor last night about it, and I was thinking about doing the continuing enrollment into the MSISA program this August or September. I am just as nervous as you may be, and I expect to take up two years to finish this since I am a slow worker, and I like to absorb the material as much as possible. I have almost no real world experience yet, and now that I think of it, I must be psyching myself. Oh well, the daunting adventure awaits me.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you, however I tend to work a bit quicker through things. I did speak with one of the MS mentors who was referred to me by my current mentor. I may actually request him as my mentor, that way I know since they have spoken about me in the past, i'll have no issues with the getting to know you period. I'm 99% certain at this point that i'm going to do it, just need to get over this last test and i'll be golden. It does seem to be a lot of writing, however some of the tasks I looked over, don't appear out of scope for what I do regularly at work, just with more of a security slant to them.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • syxxsyxx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I should be restarting next month at WGU after a little over five years away, but I had a few questions that the enrollment counselor could not answer for me. Maybe someone here has an answer or two?

1. Are the MTA exams only given at Certipoint locations? If so that would severely make me reconsider as the straight BSIT track has like 7 of those and the closest Certipoint location is close to 3 hours away.

2. I got my MCITP: server admin and MCITP: enterprise desktop admin last year. When evaluating transcripts it lists the server admin cert as transferring in lieu of network+, MTA Servers and MTA networking, is it a straight 1:1 replacement or would say 70-640 only replace MTA networks, but I would be left with retaking network+ (as I took it in 2005.)

Thanks.
    I can answer the first one. Yes, all MTA exams must be taken at Certipoint.

I didn't have either of those certs so I didnt look at what they transferred in for. Once you get your official transfer evaluation, you can challenge any additional courses that you think should be covered.
  • syxxsyxx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply swild, even though that is NOT what I wanted to hear... at least I got an answer.
  • dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am enrolled in WGU for BSIT-Network Admin. The following are the courses I need to complete. I have put them in the order that I felt might be best. I am also going for speed however I am not worried about completing everything in one Term. I wanted to save the what I see as the hardest for last. Can anyone suggest a better order ? I have been in IT for more then 12 years. I feel I can pass the A+
    without studying which is why its first. I also wanted to try and group some things together so I am not shifting gears to much.. Although I really dont care as long as I get it out of the way.

BNC1 Organizational Behavior
    AXV1 A+ Essentials
    CPV1 A+
    DHV1 98-349
    DEV1 98-367
    WFV1 Ciw Foundations 510
    BOV1 CIW Javascript 635
    CUV1 CIW Site Designer 520
    DFv1 98-363
    CSV1 70-680
    TPV1 Project +
    CTV1 Security +
    CWV1 98-366
    COV1 CCENT
    CQV1 CCNA
    AIV1 70-642
    AHV1 70-640
    AJV1 70-646
    SBT1
    RBT1
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm only in my first term, so likely other responses will help you more, but what I decided to do is mix up my terms with a combo of hard AND easy courses. That way I'd have more time to focus on the courses that are more challenging for me since the easy ones will require little or no studying.
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    natv wrote: »
    I'm only in my first term, so likely other responses will help you more, but what I decided to do is mix up my terms with a combo of hard AND easy courses. That way I'd have more time to focus on the courses that are more challenging for me since the easy ones will require little or no studying.

That is always an option. I think I was more trying to give myself a path to see where the end might be sooner.. My other thought is if I can't get it all done.. Then I may be able to give myself a break in between semesters and then go full tilt leaving myself the time at the end. Something to think about.
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    Just wrapped up Database 1 and Intro to programing. I have 6 courses left to finish and my term ends 8/31/12. i'm hoping to be done by then.
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
    @usagent27 - for DFV1, pay close attention to some of the recent community forum posts for some guidelines on studying for that.
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »
    Just wrapped up Database 1 and Intro to programing. I have 6 courses left to finish and my term ends 8/31/12. i'm hoping to be done by then.

was the database class the ciw one?

how was the test im set to take it on the 20th
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    was the database class the ciw one?

how was the test im set to take it on the 20th

i saw the change in materials for the DFV1...gotta say thats pretty crappy that they did that.

as far as the database test. ucertify was pretty useless. read the course materials and understand the basics of how a database works and you shld be fine.

on a side note. how is KFT1? how is it working with a partner?
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • ajayi1987ajayi1987 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there any way I can get a special affiliate code so it can waive the application fee?
    Yes, PM me and we'll do a referral which will waive your application fee, and I think WGU also sends me a thank you mug or something too.
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:

• ajayi1987ajayi1987 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It wont let me send a PM...it says i dont have access to that...Do I have to do something to get access to the PM's?
    Make sure you have all the PM options enabled in your profile settings. I wasn't able to PM you directly either so I think it's that you haven't enabled those options.
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU: