Options

Which is better for the MCITP:EA? CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal?

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Which is better for the MCITP:EA, CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal?

I really like the fact that TrainSignal throws in extra stuff like Transcender tests, and audio copies of videos.

Comments

• Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268

I really like the fact that TrainSignal throws in extra stuff like Transcender tests, and audio copies of videos.

I used both and found the cbtnugget videos to be far superior. I was very dissapointed with the trainsignal stuff mainly because exam topics were skipped over, there were basic errors (the 70-643 video series has to be the worst videos i have ever seen) and overall it just made you feel like they were teaching beginners with some of the oversimplified explanations.
    CBTNuggets was very exam specific plus you learn as well and you felt the instructor knows what he is on about.
    Having said all that, i was impressed by Testout. Good videos, good exercises and very concise notes

by the way, cbtnuggets has audio downloads as well now. Plus when you look at the costs:

CBTNuggets - 70-642 = $299 + $69 for a selftest exam which is 90% the transcender exam
    Trainsginal - 70-642 = $397
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good timing. I have the TrainSignal videos for the MCITP upgrade. This will be my first time using their training. If it has as much steak as it does sizzle, it will work out well.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I like the TS videos for CCNA, more than the CBTN on many subjects. It was the opposite for me, less info in the CBTN than the TS.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd listen to samples of each and go with the instructor you like best. I wouldn't base this solely on an economical decision and includes extras like Transcender (although that can turn the tables in a case of a draw).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alokin123 wrote: »
    I was very dissapointed with the trainsignal stuff mainly because exam topics were skipped over, there were basic errors (the 70-643 video series has to be the worst videos i have ever seen) and overall it just made you feel like they were teaching beginners with some of the oversimplified explanations
    The Train Signal for 70-643 was the only CBT I tried to use while going through the EA. I literally couldn't watch it without falling asleep within minutes! icon_lol.gif I thought it might be because I was watching it mainly as review (I had already gone through the Sybex book), but maybe not!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Microsoft Trainsignal discs are way too shallow in my opinion for passing these exams.
  • Options
    I just listened to a preview from CBT Nuggets and I really enjoyed it. Sounds like most of you really didn't think much of the TrainSignal for the MCITP track. I guess my biggest fear is wasting money on the videos.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Why not Testout? If you are a college student Testout is the way to go, when choosing CBT video training. I don’t have any experience using train signal, or CBT Nuggets, but I can tell you that you can get Testout videos at a highly reduced rate if you’re a college student. I think all you need is a college transcript, or some other type of proof of enrollment, and they give you a promo code upon check out. Currently, I’m using the A+ 701 and I like the training, because it uses labs and tests after each video. Also, I like the fact that before each video they ask you questions to think about before hand, and they give you a summary of things covered. So far I have been a happy customer. :)
    LabSim - MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) for Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator Certification Training
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Why not Testout? If you are a college student Testout is the way to go, when choosing CBT video training. I don’t have any experience using train signal, or CBT Nuggets, but I can tell you that you can get Testout videos at a highly reduced rate if you’re a college student. I think all you need is a college transcript, or some other type of proof of enrollment, and they give you a promo code upon check out. Currently, I’m using the A+ 701 and I like the training, because it uses labs and tests after each video. Also, I like the fact that before each video they ask you questions to think about before hand, and they give you a summary of things covered. So far I have been a happy customer. :)
    LabSim - MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) for Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator Certification Training

I already mentioned testout in my post but i will second the above. The instructors are direct and straight to the point. They don't spend time trying to be your best friend but at the same time they are not dull and boring. I used testout for 83-640, 70-643 and 70-647 and wouldn't have passed without them. Even if you are not a college student you can get a coupon discount on their website which halves the price of an individual cert which is more cost efficient than TS and CBT Nuggets when you consider you get videos, exam questions, simulations and very well written summary notes which for people like me who is to lazy to write my own notes is perfect.
  • Options
    DeepBlue99DeepBlue99 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I notice that Testout does not offer a 70-649 package.

Would you mind telling us what the final purchase price was for you with the student discount applied?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm a WGU student and my price was $89.00 for the 83-640 Labsim/testout. Note that labsim has practice exams included.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DeepBlue99DeepBlue99 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm a WGU student and my price was $89.00 for the 83-640 Labsim/testout. Note that labsim has practice exams included.

Very nice. Looks like an 80% discount of their posted price.

Too bad I'll have to get the 640, 642, 643 modules to cover the 649 exam.
  • Options
    ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT all the way. Transignal is boring and the videos are needlessly long imo. Plus, you can watch CBT on fast speed. i passed all my exams using cbt exclusively but i have a lot of experience too.
  • Options
    The 83-640 Labsim was very light on the videos. More fact sheets, labs, and practice test questions. Not a lot of actual video training.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 for the CBT nugget videos.

I'm using them for the MCTIP:SA track and the MCSA. I found that Trainsignal doesnt go deep enough into topics, James Conrad who does the server exams for CBT is awesome. He refrences points that are in the exam requirements 'things you should know for the exam' and cracks me up when he goes on about his wife or how 'we' in video land should send him on a holdiay. :D
  • Options
    St3yrSt3yr Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pespi_man wrote: »
    +1 for the CBT nugget videos.

I'm using them for the MCTIP:SA track and the MCSA. I found that Trainsignal doesnt go deep enough into topics, James Conrad who does the server exams for CBT is awesome. He refrences points that are in the exam requirements 'things you should know for the exam' and cracks me up when he goes on about his wife or how 'we' in video land should send him on a holdiay. :D

Well I'll have to disagree with ya Pepsi_man - James makes me 'cringe' with every dumb joke he's got! Mind you, I owe the man my MCSE :).

I liked Jeremy from the CCNA he was a good trainer without TOO many nerdy jokes. And the chap that does the 649 nuggets wasn't half bad either.

So having done the 649, 646 and 680 - is the 647 that much harder?
    WIP: VCP vSphere 4.0
  • Options
    pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do know what you mean St3yr, when i 1st started watching CBT his jokes were out there. Now i guess i'm just use to them lol.
  • Options
    I'm revisting this as I got approved to get some additional video training from my VA guy. I'm leaning towards CBT Nuggets but still need to listen to samples of the instructors. What throws me about the Trainsignal is that they appear to be using Server 2k8 R2 and I'm concerned with how that may affect the training I get. I'm not getting the whole package, just for the 70-643 and 70-647.
    Any input about how much of the training Trainsignal applies toward R2 and the differences between R2 and regular Server 2008 would be welcome.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    As a whole package? CBT nuggets. Its just more indepth.

I prefer the voice and the pace of Trainsignal, but they simply dont cover as much.

The trainsignal for 643 shouldnt have ever even been sold, that video BLEW.
  • Options
    I'm revisting this as I got approved to get some additional video training from my VA guy. I'm leaning towards CBT Nuggets but still need to listen to samples of the instructors. What throws me about the Trainsignal is that they appear to be using Server 2k8 R2 and I'm concerned with how that may affect the training I get. I'm not getting the whole package, just for the 70-643 and 70-647.
    Any input about how much of the training Trainsignal applies toward R2 and the differences between R2 and regular Server 2008 would be welcome.

The trainsignal videos I watched were all simply 2008. They recently released a supplmental "whats new in R2" video for the 2008 R2 stuff.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    The trainsignal videos I watched were all simply 2008. They recently released a supplmental "whats new in R2" video for the 2008 R2 stuff.

Just called them and the new R2 comes free with any purchases for a limited time... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    As a whole package? CBT nuggets. Its just more indepth.

I prefer the voice and the pace of Trainsignal, but they simply dont cover as much.

The trainsignal for 643 shouldnt have ever even been sold, that video BLEW.
    How as the video for the 647? I'm just getting the 2
  • Options
    @Hyper-Me: Do you get media with CBT Nuggets, or is all online videos?
  • Options
    staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently studying for the 70-643 and thought i would try train signal for it.. since it was a lot of stuff ive never done before (clustering, iis, terminal server)... thought it was great for a quick this is what you can do.. but for the exam.. yee gods... im now having to use it as quick intro to these roles and go to cbt nuggets for the real exam depth thats needed.

Are all the train signal vids so bad? i really like the idea of the scenario based learning, but if its all like that all they can possibly used for is intro to subject matter..

I was actually going to post about it since i was so shocked at the TS vids.. seems im not alone..

anyone have insight to there 70-647? only other exam i need is 70-680 i dont think either do vids for that so ive been putting it off till they did :/
  • Options
    @Hyper-Me: Do you get media with CBT Nuggets, or is all online videos?

Not sure. I borrowed those from a friend since I had purchased Trainsignal. Didnt wanna buy dos sets.
  • Options
    staggerlee wrote: »
    Currently studying for the 70-643 and thought i would try train signal for it.. since it was a lot of stuff ive never done before (clustering, iis, terminal server)... thought it was great for a quick this is what you can do.. but for the exam.. yee gods... im now having to use it as quick intro to these roles and go to cbt nuggets for the real exam depth thats needed.

Are all the train signal vids so bad? i really like the idea of the scenario based learning, but if its all like that all they can possibly used for is intro to subject matter..

I was actually going to post about it since i was so shocked at the TS vids.. seems im not alone..

anyone have insight to there 70-647? only other exam i need is 70-680 i dont think either do vids for that so ive been putting it off till they did :/

There are some very good trainsignal videos out there. Don't let the 643 video ruin you on them. I'm not sure why that one came out so bad. Its like the guy came to work with a bad hangover or something.
  • Options
    OK, the original TS vids for 70-643 were absolutely terrible. The same instructor did the 70-640 vids and the hyper-v vids for TS and the AD vids needed to be updated and there are errors in the hyper-v videos that someone posted on the TS forums on basic hyper-v concepts...

I sent TS a pretty angry email with the errors in the 70-643 video series late last yr and they have re-released the videos with a different instructor and called it an update to cover for the fact that the original was bad. If you bought the original, TS will send you the new one for free.
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Training, MCITP 70-643 Exam | Train Signal

Enough about that. With the cbtnuggets, you can either buy a streaming subscription, or you can buy a video exam pack and download it or have them mail out the media to you.

For 70-643 i would highly recommend testout and for 70-647 as well.
  • Options
    alokin123 wrote: »
    OK, the original TS vids for 70-643 were absolutely terrible. The same instructor did the 70-640 vids and the hyper-v vids for TS and the AD vids needed to be updated and there are errors in the hyper-v videos that someone posted on the TS forums on basic hyper-v concepts...

I sent TS a pretty angry email with the errors in the 70-643 video series late last yr and they have re-released the videos with a different instructor and called it an update to cover for the fact that the original was bad. If you bought the original, TS will send you the new one for free.
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Training, MCITP 70-643 Exam | Train Signal

You had me at re-released the videos with a different instructor. I think I'm going with Trainsignal. Testout was, at best, ok for the 83-640 which I used. Not very much video and a whole lot of those blasted fact sheets. I already have a book to read, why pay to get to print out another book? Also I didn't think the test questions with testout were very good.
    I think since trainsignal redid the 70-643 AND I get the free R2 video AND Transcender (which is just the beefier version of selftest) AND I've heard good things about the 70-647 vids I'll go with Trainsignal.
  • Options
    You had me at re-released the videos with a different instructor. I think I'm going with Trainsignal. Testout was, at best, ok for the 83-640 which I used. Not very much video and a whole lot of those blasted fact sheets. I already have a book to read, why pay to get to print out another book? Also I didn't think the test questions with testout were very good.
    I think since trainsignal redid the 70-643 AND I get the free R2 video AND Transcender (which is just the beefier version of selftest) AND I've heard good things about the 70-647 vids I'll go with Trainsignal.

I agree that testout's 83-640 videos were not great, but their fact sheets are generally well written and cut out a lot of the guff you find in text books. I thought their videos and notes for 70-643 were top notch and i wouldnt have passed if i hadnt used them.
  • Options
    staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Who did the new Vids, i cant remember the name of the guy who did the video i have (there at home to check), the scenario was based on some hill billy company. This the new or old.. I really hope the old..
This discussion has been closed.