Options

Which is better for the MCITP:EA? CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Coach Culbertson is the original guy for 640, 643 and 647 videos. Some other dude did the 642 and although hes pretty bland, it was informative.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Testouts fact sheets are like notes and I don't remember notes as well unless I either write or type them. They were great for the Net+ and Sec+ but for the higher MS certs I need to get the info in my brain so that I can use it. Learning by doing puts the information in several different areas of your brain which makes more avenues of access. This goes for labbing as well as taking notes and making your own flashcards. I'm not going through all the studying, labbing, and notetaking just to pass a test. I could probably pass the test just using the testout fact sheets but I would not actually "know" anything well enough to use it later.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    staggerlee wrote: »
    Who did the new Vids, i cant remember the name of the guy who did the video i have (there at home to check), the scenario was based on some hill billy company. This the new or old.. I really hope the old..
    The new guy is Ed Liberman
    Here's one of his videos Windows Server HQ by Train Signal.com How to Setup & Utilize Remote Administration on Server 2008 Server Core none of the sample videos actually show him though. He's just explaining what he's doing while doing stuff on server core.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using the Trainsignal MCITP videos and I really like them. They might not go quite deep enough on some topics but that's why they include Transcender with them. I really like them more as a real world reference tool. I've only used the 70-640 and 70-642 videos but IMO, the videos alone are not enough to pass the test. You have to thoroughly use the Transcender exam prep as well.

I did struggle with the 70-642 (but passed) and I actually took that exam first after learning of all the 83-640 problems. I was also able to take and pass the 70-640 just two days ago and did much better on that one. Trainsignal also sent out a revised 70-643 video and it looks like it includes much more content then their original.

I have not tried CBT Nuggets so I can't speak for those but will check them out. I've already spent my money on TS and I got a some nice discounts so I feel pretty good about them. Their support has also been pretty good and I can get someone on the phone as soon as I call in which is always nice.

As far as video training goes, are TS and CBT Nuggets the best available?
  • Options
    Zillatech wrote: »
    As far as video training goes, are TS and CBT Nuggets the best available?
    Yeah, most people on TE would say those are the best. Testout/Labsim is pretty good for some things like for the Net+ and Security+.
    I'm going to get the Trainsignal videos for 70-643 and 70-647. I'm not planning to just use those but study from the MS Press Training Kit book as well and do plenty of labbing on my VMs.

You mentioned discounts..how did you get discounts?
  • Options
    I called them up (ordered by phone) and asked them what kind of discounts they could do. I think 10% is an automatic if you ask but I bought my MCITP EA kit for $997.00 last November when they were running a promo. It also came with the "R2" training for free and I know they will be releasing Windows 7 training next month and that will come automatically if you by the EA Kit. as well. They told me they are giving everyone that bought the EA Kit this year a free upgrade to the Windows 7 training, even if they got Vista as part of the pack.

I think you just have to haggle with them a little and they knock some off the price. I would ask them why their training is better than CBT Nuggets and work that angle if it were me :)
  • Options
    I ordered the 643 and 647 Trainsignals today and got a 15% discount for ordering more than one. Thanks to one of our regulars here, trainsignaleric (I think). The regular customer service people I'd spoken to earlier said there was no discount for students or for ordering anything but the whole MCITP:EA pack. I'll still get the extra R2 training but wont get the Windows 7 when it comes out.
    I'll be glad to have the audio I can burn to CD and listen to in the car on some of my long trips.
  • Options
    DeepBlue99DeepBlue99 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for CBT.

Not a huge fan of instructors, but they get the job done. Coverage is good.

Hint. - Use the fast playback feature to avoid falling asleep.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DeepBlue99 wrote: »
    +1 for CBT.

Depends on the instructor. Some are better than others. The last couple I have watched by James Conrad are good. He moves quickly, and does all of the stupid stuff so that he doesn't waste your time.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    DeepBlue99 wrote: »
    +1 for CBT.

i use this product and watch the videos at over 3 times the normal speed: Change Playback Speed - Variable Speed - Time Scale Modification of Audio - Enounce, Incorporated - Enounce
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    I would have to disagree I have used trainsignal, cbt nuggets and testout videos for my MCITP EA and I think trainsignal is the worst.They cover the material to extent but I feel they don't give enough info.The best I think is cbt nuggets with testout not very far behind.I'm basing this on James Conrads teaching not the other guys from CBT.This is my opinion of course.If I had to choose one I would pick cbt.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    As good as I'm sure Trainsignal may be. My bias has always been with CBT. I have always thought the video's content/instructors to be excellent.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Made a post in the sql section but properly better to ask here.. Anyone tried the SQL vids for either CBT or TS?

From the few i have seen from TS they always lack a lot of info compared to CBT. wondered if that crossed over to the SQL courses as well. But it has been said that the CBT for SQL arent to hot.. Any views?
  • Options
    So far I'm not really pleased with the content of the Train Signal for the 70-643. A lot of content seems to be getting left out (Important content, I might add) and the instructor, Ed Liberman, has a tendency to repeat a lot of really unimportant things which just makes the video drag.

Do most people find these videos better watching before doing the reading or after? I've tried both ways and watching them first leaves me with a lot of unexplained questions and watching them after has me bored and anxious while watching.
  • Options
    You might be right about Trainsignal leaving out some things & if you are watching the "Ed Liberman" Video than you have the revised TS Video. I don't think "Ed" being the instructor is the problem, I think TS does not map their course close enough to the MS Objectives for the exam (although I have not watched the 70-643 Video yet).

I am using the "TS" Server Admin video now before I move on to the CBT Nuggets 70-646 Video. I went ahead and purchased the 70-646 from CBT because I wanted to see the difference so after I complete both of them, I'll post back my findings. CBT Nuggets definitely seems to map the exam better and the only thing I might be able to knock on them so far is that the Audio/Video presentation might not be quite as polished as Trainsignal but that is really splitting hairs.

One thing you might consider that I just discovered is that you can "Stream" the CBT Nugget Videos from the website for 30 Days for $199.00 (their entire Catalog)

You can access anything you want as much as you want for 30 Days so if you work hard you can study for (2) Exams for about $100.00 each icon_thumright.gif

Make sure you use the Transcender Questions and Flash Cards to fill in where the Trainsignal video may have fallen short
  • Options
    I returned the 70-643 TrainSignal Video. They were actually pretty good about it. I had already registered my Transcender vouchers so I got to keep the Transcender test. I had gotten a discount for buying 2 videos (643 and 647) and they refunded half the purchase price. That was really cool. It would have been better if I had felt that the video was going to do me some good cause I would have kept it. It's not like I'm getting the money back, it was paid for by the VA (Chap 31) as a school related expense so the money just goes back to my VA coordinators account.
    I watched a little of the 647 video and it looks good so far.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Just to confirm, I'm a DeVry University student and I just talked with the people at TestOut and it's $89 for any exam with student verification. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I've been looking for MCITP stuff and I might just buy this stuff from these guys. At least take a chance on the 70-640 and see if they're going to be worth it.
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    Just to confirm, I'm a DeVry University student and I just talked with the people at TestOut and it's $89 for any exam with student verification. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I've been looking for MCITP stuff and I might just buy this stuff from these guys. At least take a chance on the 70-640 and see if they're going to be worth it.
    I used the 83-640 Testout and it was ok at best.

I've watched a little of the 70-647 Train Signal video so far. The Hyper-v and the Terminal services sections and they are very good. Coach Culbertson is a very good instructor. I'm still studying for the 70-643 but decided to have a "lookahead" at the 647 videos related to what I am studying right now.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I used the 83-640 Testout and it was ok at best.

I've watched a little of the 70-647 Train Signal video so far. The Hyper-v and the Terminal services sections and they are very good. Coach Culbertson is a very good instructor. I'm still studying for the 70-643 but decided to have a "lookahead" at the 647 videos related to what I am studying right now.

Other than reading the book and watching the video are there any other materials you think that would supplement to help overall or would those two pretty much set me up for a solid shot at a pass? Obviously you don't know my study habits so just shoot from the hip. :p
  • Options
    One thing I will recommend for the 70-640 is to read the DNS chapter from the 70-642 textbook as it'll help. Use Claymoores links at http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html for extra study.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Yup going through Claymores stuff as well. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only thought I knew DNS well until I went over the material in the 642. Now I feel very comfortable with DNS as as whole. I think studying topics as they are covered in other MS exams is a great idea.

Back to the OP question, I've only had experience with CBT Nuggets. Our district bought a single streaming subscricption for $1,500. So far our department has passed 5 exams using the material. I've only used Jeremy Ciarra for Cisco and James Conrad for the MCITP. I frankly found James' presentation style to be a total turnoff at first. Fortunately, I've finally learned to tolerate and even appreciate some of his quirks. Ciarra will occasionally use personal examples in an analogy, but they are rare and they work. How many people remember James' analogy about users/groups in which he explains how he's not a "people person"? LOL
  • Options
    I'm currently studying for the 70-643 but I'm finding that doing some forward reading in my books for the 70-647 is helping. After I complete an area in the 643 book I'll check out that area of 1 or more of my 647 texts. I've also already watched a couple of the Train Signal 70-647 videos like this as well.
    I'm finding that I like the instructor for the 647 videos a lot better. Less irritating tendencies. Coach Culbertson is definitely an instructor I personally like more than Ed Liberman. I've heard others who liked Ed's teaching style in some of his earlier videos but I lack patience while watching a video and don't like fast forwarding as I may miss something.
  • Options
    NvrGvUpNvrGvUp Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    One thing I will recommend for the 70-640 is to read the DNS chapter from the 70-642 textbook as it'll help. Use Claymoores links at http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html for extra study.
    Good luck!
    Hi,

I'm about to start studying for the 3 MCITP SA exams. After reading your comment above, would it be OK to study and take the 70-642 exam first? And then, 70-640 and 70-646, respectively? Has anyone studied and taken the exams in this order?
  • Options
    Several people have recently. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/55804-more-easier-70-640-70-642-a.html and there were a few others but can't find the threads.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    NvrGvUp wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm about to start studying for the 3 MCITP SA exams. After reading your comment above, would it be OK to study and take the 70-642 exam first? And then, 70-640 and 70-646, respectively? Has anyone studied and taken the exams in this order?

I'm going to do 642 first. Many others have done it this way also. I'm very lucky in that I will starting a 9 month full time network infrastructure course (university level) next week so I'll get to use servers day in and day out.

Currently studying both 640 and 642 as to me it seems the topics are in many ways tied together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, guys!

I have another question... Since I don't have any prior server and network experience at all, don't I need to know how to configure Active Directory first for me to study configuring Network Infrastructure? Or is it irrelevant?
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Thanks for the info, guys!

I have another question... Since I don't have any prior server and network experience at all, don't I need to know how to configure Active Directory first for me to study configuring Network Infrastructure? Or is it irrelevant?

A good working knowledge of AD is important (IMHO).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

I've taken 642 first i have 640 next week and I think I made the right choice.
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    I've taken 642 first i have 640 next week and I think I made the right choice.
    But, I suppose you already have server and networking experience before you took the 70-642 exam(?) (As I mentioned, I don't have any prior experience at all.)
This discussion has been closed.