Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i think ya guys are correct my topic is to broad, i picked setting up a new small network

i think ill ask if i can switch to something more narrow like network topology types and the benifits and downfalls of each
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    i think ya guys are correct my topic is to broad, i picked setting up a new small network

i think ill ask if i can switch to something more narrow like network topology types and the benifits and downfalls of each

I think you're going the wrong direction on this. Setting up a small network is fine. You need to go into details, this is a project you will/should complete. Describe the existing network, what the desired outcome is, how will you reach that outcome, what is your time frame.

I.e.

My project is to set up a new network for ABC corporation. They have 10 computers currently and no real network set up. As of right now they are sharing the internet on a Cisco 800 connect to a Comcast cable modem. In order to make the transition easier, I has a meeting with ABC about what their goals were and what they would like to see from the new network.

Continue on to go into the goals, how will you reach these goals (what hardware, why that hardware?, how will you complete the project). Find some books on may be cabling if new network cable is needed, if they want wireless may be the CCNA Wireless book. Discuss how their goals for a secure and fast wireless portion can be obtained using a Cisco wireless router and AP. How AES is stronger than WEP encryption.

There is a lot of stuff to discuss there. I think you're trying to rush it too much.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was booked to take GAC1 Sunday evening but I just had to cancel due to an unexpected visitor coming to town named Irene...

The Web proctors can be really strict when they see background movement. If the neighbors mailbox flew through the window, they might freeze my test. So it's probably best that I just reschedule. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    The Web proctors can be really strict when they see background movement. If the neighbors mailbox flew through the window, they might freeze my test. So it's probably best that I just reschedule. icon_rolleyes.gif

Makes me wonder what they would do if you sat in front of a green screen.

Proctor: "Nobylspoon, it is against testing rules to take an exam on the Moon, in a live volcano, or while riding a roller coaster.

Best of luck with Irene, stay safe.
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Ugh. Waiting on Taskstream. Trying to get LET1 knocked out, but want to make sure the first paper passes before I submit #2. This term is going slow for me, tough to get motivated to do this course and the two science courses. Once I slug through them, it is back to the cool stuff :)
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    Ugh. Waiting on Taskstream. Trying to get LET1 knocked out, but want to make sure the first paper passes before I submit #2. This term is going slow for me, tough to get motivated to do this course and the two science courses. Once I slug through them, it is back to the cool stuff :)

Don't bother about waiting for a paper to evaluate before sending another. They are very backed up now and prioritizing grading papers for people who's term ends this month I hear.

I've submitted LET1 Task 4 days ago and with my term ending this month I'm still having to wait some time. No point in holding off when the papers don't even build on each other, just keep shot gunning them in.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Pishof wrote: »
    Don't bother about waiting for a paper to evaluate before sending another. They are very backed up now and prioritizing grading papers for people who's term ends this month I hear.

I've submitted LET1 Task 4 days ago and with my term ending this month I'm still having to wait some time. No point in holding off when the papers don't even build on each other, just keep shot gunning them in.

I am waiting since this is my first submission to taskstream for this course. Since there is a limit to the number of times one can submit a paper, I want to see one graded to give me a sense of, if anything, I need to tweek and change in terms of my writing style, etc. to insure the maximum potential for success.

Isn't it always the end of the term for someone? You would think they would a bit quicker...oh well. Four days and counting.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    I am waiting since this is my first submission to taskstream for this course. Since there is a limit to the number of times one can submit a paper, I want to see one graded to give me a sense of, if anything, I need to tweek and change in terms of my writing style, etc. to insure the maximum potential for success.

Isn't it always the end of the term for someone? You would think they would a bit quicker...oh well. Four days and counting.

Well the big thing right now is that they are switching from contractors grading to in house. So they are really backed up trying to make the switch. Once complete grading should be a lot quicker and more constant with the rubics.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Moving into to high gear with AIV1 starting tomorrow. It will be nice to be pursuing something IT related again :D
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Well the big thing right now is that they are switching from contractors grading to in house. So they are really backed up trying to make the switch. Once complete grading should be a lot quicker and more constant with the rubics.

Did they explain why? I always got this notion from them that Taskstream is of value because it's an impartial grading system external to the school.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    My understanding is that some of the graders were overseas and I wonder if that was causing problems. That would be my biggest complaint about WGU is Taskstream grading. I don't have any more TS classes left, but I got tired of the cryptic revision requests and things that they just missed. One example was that I had two parts to a task. It was on 2 pages they didn't look at the second page and sent it back for revisions setting me back 10 days total. I get the feeling that mentors aren't too fond of TS either.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Should be interesting to see how the new graders are. Hopefully there is more consistency with the new crew.

On a side note, did anyone happen to actually do the programming exercise P6.6 in GUT/KET1? I'm interested to see what solutions anyone might have come up with. I can easily get the result using a hash set or sorting the array or using an array list, but doing it as its described in the exercise is eluding me. Not that it matters, but thought I'd ask. Still enjoying it, crazy as it sounds.
  • Options
    Finally submitted my paper for HHT1. Hopefully it's accepted on the first try, though that would be a first for me. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My term ends October 31, 2011.

I have three classes left before graduation. BOV1, TWA1, CPW3.

When is the last day I can turn in my two performance assessments (TWA1, CPW3)?

I know last day for objective assessments (BOV1) is on the 15th day of your sixth month.

I'm aiming to finish everything before 10/31. Is it possible? Or am I way in over my head?

Please advise. :)
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Shecky wrote: »
    My term ends October 31, 2011.

I have three classes left before graduation. BOV1, TWA1, CPW3.

When is the last day I can turn in my two performance assessments (TWA1, CPW3)?

I know last day for objective assessments (BOV1) is on the 15th day of your sixth month.

I'm aiming to finish everything before 10/31. Is it possible? Or am I way in over my head?

Please advise. :)

Not at all. I completed the TWA1 and CPW4 in three weeks, so I think 4 weeks is ample time to finish these two classes if you put in the time. Complete the BOV1 first and then finish the other two. I believe the latest to turn in an objective is the 25th of the month but ask your mentor.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Term 2 starts Thursday. Already have my plan of attack for this term. Looking to knock out AIV1, AHV1, AJV1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, BOV1, in that order. When my AAV is approved for this term I plan on immediately requesting my AIV1 (70-642) voucher and setting my test date 2 weeks out. Halfway through labsim and 1/3 the way through the MS press book. Should finish the book this week, labsim next, and be knee deep in some serious lab time.

This will give me 32 CU for the term, which puts my in line with my goal of a Aug/Sept 2012 finish date. I feel the MS tests will take up at least half of my time this term, but I knew that ahead of time. Have taken the last few weeks of time to relax and enjoy spending time with my wife. I now am refreshed and anxious to get back on the horse.

Update: now over halfway through the book lol.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Term 2 starts Thursday. Already have my plan of attack for this term. Looking to knock out AIV1, AHV1, AJV1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, BOV1, in that order. When my AAV is approved for this term I plan on immediately requesting my AIV1 (70-642) voucher and setting my test date 2 weeks out. Halfway through labsim and 1/3 the way through the MS press book. Should finish the book this week, labsim next, and be knee deep in some serious lab time.

This will give me 32 CU for the term, which puts my in line with my goal of a Aug/Sept 2012 finish date. I feel the MS tests will take up at least half of my time this term, but I knew that ahead of time. Have taken the last few weeks of time to relax and enjoy spending time with my wife. I now am refreshed and anxious to get back on the horse.

I'm in the same boat, starting Term 2 on Thur. Plan on studying hard and knocking out AHV1, AIV1, AJV1, in that order one exam a month.

That leaves me with only Tech Writing/Capstone after the MCITP:SA trio completion. (IWT1 tossed in the mix too sometime)

I've been too busy with work these last couple months and haven't had much time for studying but with the new term I plan on getting back in the habit.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Has anyone working with the 70-642 been taking the Ucertify practice tests? I notice the practice test have a lot of questions on the MBSA (MS Baseline Security Analyzer), but it isn't covered in Labsim or the MS press book. I took a brief look through the objectives and didn't see it listed their either. I liked Ucertify for the 70-680 and CIW javascript, but I am not too sure on this one. I guess I will find out in a week when I take the test.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Has anyone working with the 70-642 been taking the Ucertify practice tests? I notice the practice test have a lot of questions on the MBSA (MS Baseline Security Analyzer), but it isn't covered in Labsim or the MS press book. I took a brief look through the objectives and didn't see it listed their either. I liked Ucertify for the 70-680 and CIW javascript, but I am not too sure on this one. I guess I will find out in a week when I take the test.

I haven't touched ucertify yet, from what i've seen of their stuff they tend to throw stuff that isn't covered on the exam in their tests. Saw some of that on the CCENT ones and kinda gave up on them.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

ive noticed it isnt very helpful

what ive done is ripped all the labsim r2 videos to mp3 and listen to them in the car and printed out all the notes sections and read them in a study lab with no computers around ... i get distracted
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Starting on the 2nd programming class, the last task looks brutal. Any tips?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    sheckler wrote: »
    Starting on the 2nd programming class, the last task looks brutal. Any tips?

Starting on that course myself. Task 4 does indeed look brutal. I'm going to have to zoom through the first three tasks to stay on schedule, which means I'm going to slog my way through Task 4 as I won't have learned everything it asks for when I'm starting on it.

If you can take the course slowly, work through EVERYTHING in the COS and make sure you absolutely know OOP inside and out, I doubt Task 4 is that bad (more long than anything).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ArabicMarinex23ArabicMarinex23 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I start WGU In OCT. My first term schedule is EWB2, CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, and HHT1. I am pretty smart and do IT for a living. Math has always came pretty easy to me. Could anyone tell me how hard these classes are?

WGU Start date: OCT 2011 Degree: Networks Design Management
    WGU Transfered: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1,LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1

Remaining: EWB2,CLC1, WFV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, BOV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIVI, CPW3
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Wow....I'm very disappointed by the email I got from WGU this morning....
    Good evening. We are still hoping that you plan to continue your education at Western Governors University; but according to our records as of Friday, August 26th, 2011 you did not satisfy your tuition and/or transcript obligation. Unfortunately, as a consequence, you have been withdrawn from the September starting class. The deadline for receipt of tuition and transcripts was officially 12:00pm MT on Friday, August 26th, 2011.

The thing is, I've met their financial aid requirements and had all of my transcripts turned in!
    ಠ_ಠ

I'm not sure if I want to go there now or not. Pissed off that they jerked my chain like this.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Wow....I'm very disappointed by the email I got from WGU this morning....

The thing is, I've met their financial aid requirements and had all of my transcripts turned in!
    ಠ_ಠ

I'm not sure if I want to go there now or not. Pissed off that they jerked my chain like this.

This happens to me every semester. Call the financial aid and jerk their chain a little. If you need any help send me a PM and I'll see if I can do anything. I know someone who might be able to help.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This happens to me every semester.

You have to be kidding me. icon_eek.gif I can't believe they would do this such thing to students. Now that you guys mentioned it, I take it as a lesson learned. I guess would have to nag them on the 15th of the sixth month to make sure they are 100% ready for me on my next term.

Sorry about that ehnde. I hope this turns out to be a big misunderstanding and everything works out for you.
  • Options
    You have to be kidding me. icon_eek.gif I can't believe they would do this such thing to students. Now that you guys mentioned it, I take it as a lesson learned. I guess would have to nag them on the 15th of the sixth month to make sure they are 100% ready for me on my next term.

Sorry about that ehnde. I hope this turns out to be a big misunderstanding and everything works out for you.

Believe it or not I have had similar problems with my community college. I guess it doesn't surprise me and more. In my experience financial aid is the only group I have had problems with so far at WGU. My community college financial aid problem would send shivers up your spine. On top of the college's mistakes the Feds lost my data do a server crash. It took them months into the semester to correct everything icon_rolleyes.gif

I should also note that I'm no longer receiving financial aid, but they can't seem to note that and so it sometimes slows things down. Crazy? Yes. I do want to say that I'm seeing WGU's processes and online tools getting better every year. It's an on going process and I can forgive them since it does keep getting better.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Thanks for the support guys. If they change their minds and let me start Sept 1st, that's great - but otherwise I'll just use September to prep for Security+ and CCNA:Security...both of which I'm ready to take right now.

Hope your studies are going well!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Thanks for the support guys. If they change their minds and let me start Sept 1st, that's great - but otherwise I'll just use September to prep for Security+ and CCNA:Security...both of which I'm ready to take right now.

Hope your studies are going well!

Not a bad idea. The more you can get done before the better. I try to study for classes/certifications before hand so I can move through them as quick as possible.
  • Options

Yeah I made sure to start bugging them around that time. I didn't know any of this ahead of time, I just know how financial aid can be sometimes. Gotta keep on top of it.