Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    Let me know how BOV1 is, think I am going to wait until next term to knock that one out.

Trying to get as much done on MCITP:SA path done as I am looking for a job and think this will be the most impressive on a resume.

I had my mentor unlock the learning resources for it before adding it to my AAV so I could skim the material and see if it was something I could finish in the timeframe I wanted. I started a couple of days ago and I am on Chapter 3 right now. Most of what I read has just been a recap from when I took C++ a few years back.

My bf is interested in a programming degree at WGU. Because this would be a required class for him anyways and he needs a cert to qualify for admission, he is also studying for this exam. He doesn't have experience with the subject matter so when we have both finished the exam, I should be able to post some tips from both skill level perspectives.

It's a multiple choice exam though and CIW questions are pretty straight forward. I have a goal of finishing this within a month. My current pace is a chapter a day but I may knock out as much as possible this weekend. I want to also be able to do MGC1 and ORC1 by the end of Nov.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I had my mentor unlock the learning resources for it before adding it to my AAV so I could skim the material and see if it was something I could finish in the timeframe I wanted. I started a couple of days ago and I am on Chapter 3 right now. Most of what I read has just been a recap from when I took C++ a few years back.

My bf is interested in a programming degree at WGU. Because this would be a required class for him anyways and he needs a cert to qualify for admission, he is also studying for this exam. He doesn't have experience with the subject matter so when we have both finished the exam, I should be able to post some tips from both skill level perspectives.

It's a multiple choice exam though and CIW questions are pretty straight forward. I have a goal of finishing this within a month. My current pace is a chapter a day but I may knock out as much as possible this weekend. I want to also be able to do MGC1 and ORC1 by the end of Nov.

From what I understand, BOV1 (635) is a lot easier than AKV1 (435). However, I felt more comfortable with AKV1 as there were more study materials available and I wasn't waiting around for WGU to get it's act together. I spent maybe 2-3 weeks cramming for it, and the materials I used for javascript, which I posted a while back, were helpful in making sure I didn't fail the exam. If I had spent more time on it, I would have aced it, but instead I literally passed by the skin of my teeth.

This should be fine for you and you shouldn't have to spend months studying for this exam...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm certain they are not. There was an article from Times that talked about growing number of graders at WGU and where they are from. I cannot seem to find it, but it never mentioned overseas.

I was wrong, it's not TIME magazine:

https://chronicle.com/article/To-Justify-Every-A-Some/128528/
    The best way to eliminate grade inflation is to take professors out of the grading process: Replace them with professional evaluators who never meet the students, and who don't worry that students will punish harsh grades with poor reviews. That's the argument made by leaders of Western Governors University, which has hired 300 adjunct professors who do nothing but grade student work.
  • Options
    polysaturatepolysaturate Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well gents(and any ladies I suppose)...I took the dive and signed up after speaking with my counselor last night. Took the assessments after I got home from my current school last night(at 11PM) and aced them. I suppose at this time it is more so a matter of time and getting all my ducks in a row.

Any suggestions or advice when being at this stage?
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Try not to get too frustrated by the enrollment process, which is usually where most of the issues/complaints about the school come from. Once you're in and start classes it's much better.
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    Try not to get too frustrated by the enrollment process, which is usually where most of the issues/complaints about the school come from. Once you're in and start classes it's much better.

Well, the good news is that I haven't been frustrated yet. It's been really straight forward in my opinion. However, the fact that I am already enrolled(yet willing to withdraw) in a comm college and accepted financial aid may be a slight PITA.

Any suggestions on anything I might want to study, look into, learn while I am waiting through the enrollment process? If it helps, my background is 3 yrs programming(PHP, MySQL, front end(html, css, js, etc)) and 5-6 years in general web/internet. No certs, just experience. My plan is to accelerate my degree as much as possible, so any help with what I can brush up on or look into while I wait to start classes would be a tremendous help.
  • Options
    Any suggestions on anything I might want to study, look into, learn while I am waiting through the enrollment process? If it helps, my background is 3 yrs programming(PHP, MySQL, front end(html, css, js, etc)) and 5-6 years in general web/internet. No certs, just experience. My plan is to accelerate my degree as much as possible, so any help with what I can brush up on or look into while I wait to start classes would be a tremendous help.

Sounds like you would do well in the Software or Database emphasis. In your case you can't go wrong with either.

You want to take a degree that will highlight the experience you already have...not reinvent your wheel. That is the best way for you to graduate as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Sounds like you would do well in the Software or Database emphasis. In your case you can't go wrong with either.

You want to take a degree that will highlight the experience you already have...not reinvent your wheel. That is the best way for you to graduate as quickly as possible.
    Exactly, my current selection is the software emphasis. However, I never even noticed the database emphasis one. Do you think one would be more beneficial then the other to myself with the current experience with the future in mind as well?
  • Options
    Exactly, my current selection is the software emphasis. However, I never even noticed the database emphasis one. Do you think one would be more beneficial then the other to myself with the current experience with the future in mind as well?

Both are development emphasi.

One just gears more toward programmin in a OOL. The other more toward database development, with a front end...which is why there are development courses that are part of Database emphasis.

I'm a DBA in my real life. The only reason why I didn't go for the Database emphasis is because at the time, it was focused on developing Oracle Databases. Then they dropped Oracle and switched to the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer cert. I am not interested in developing...just administration. (and management... :) )

SQL Developers are very much in demand though...especially in the ERP space (SAP, Oracle/PeopleSoft, etc.) That much I can tell you.
  • Options
    Both are development emphasi.

One just gears more toward programmin in a OOL. The other more toward database development, with a front end...which is why there are development courses that are part of Database emphasis.

I'm a DBA in my real life. The only reason why I didn't go for the Database emphasis is because at the time, it was focused on developing Oracle Databases. Then they dropped Oracle and switched to the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer cert. I am not interested in developing...just administration. (and management... :) )

SQL Developers are very much in demand though...especially in the ERP space (SAP, Oracle/PeopleSoft, etc.) That much I can tell you.

Thanks.

I am actually thinking of switching to the database emphasis now. It still provides what appears to be significant OOP based programming courses, yet adds more db courses. I think, the differences in what certs you get also seem to be more marketable post school.

Even personally, I think that it may be more beneficial to enrich myself in an area I can learn a little bit more, then get a degree in something I have more knowledge in. In essence, fill in more gaps to my existing experience and knowledge.

Maybe i'm way off, but it seems the more logical way to go about this.
  • Options
    Even personally, I think that it may be more beneficial to enrich myself in an area I can learn a little bit more, then get a degree in something I have more knowledge in. In essence, fill in more gaps to my existing experience and knowledge.

I'm saving that little biddy for my Masters. You don't get much "enrichment" at the undergraduate level; unless your degree is in liberal arts or perhaps basketweaving.

90% of us want a degree from WGU to deal with that effing check box. For a multitude of reasons, we never finished college in the first place when we started in the first place. Somewhere along the way we got jobs. I at least want a undergrad "degree" that was defined by my career (as oppose to the reverse). My Masters can be in Business Administration, as I don't have a MBA background...

So if your goal is to be done with the undergrad degree as quickly as possible, it would behoove you to take stuff that's already in your background....in theory you'd be knocking out certs/classes quickly. That's why I suggested database or software for you.
  • Options
    I'm saving that little biddy for my Masters. You don't get much "enrichment" at the undergraduate level; unless your degree is in liberal arts or perhaps basketweaving.

90% of us want a degree from WGU to deal with that effing check box. For a multitude of reasons, we never finished college in the first place when we started in the first place. Somewhere along the way we got jobs. I at least want a undergrad "degree" that was defined by my career (as oppose to the reverse). My Masters can be in Business Administration, as I don't have a MBA background...

So if your goal is to be done with the undergrad degree as quickly as possible, it would behoove you to take stuff that's already in your background....in theory you'd be knocking out certs/classes quickly. That's why I suggested database or software for you.

Right, I have the same plan for a Masters as well. I already have a pretty decent understanding of databases, so I really don't think it would put me that far off compared to a straight software emphasis. Overall, I think i'll plow through them at a pretty good clip.

With that being said, I very much value and appreciate your opinion. Can't wait to actually start getting into some classes.

Any suggestions from experience on what few courses I should set my sights on first?
  • Options
    What classes are you transferring in?
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471

That is probably true veritas. I was just going by that someone had mentioned sometime back in this thread.

I did have to chuckle at the article though..."Evaluators are required to write extensive comments on each task, explaining why the student passed or failed to prove competence in the requisite skill"

When does that happen?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    sheckler wrote: »
    What classes are you transferring in?
    I have taken all of my gen eds(or tested out of) sans a science and a humanities. I also finished web dev I, basic CIS105 level course, and a Linux OS course(which I already don't expect to count towards anything). My enrollment guy said I should pretty much have all the applicale courses transfer in. *should* being the word i'm personally highlighting.

Basically, I'm hoping almost everything transfers in from that list. It's a partnered community college too.
  • Options
    KingSpadeKingSpade Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey I was curious if Canadians can enroll in WGU and also if WGU is accredited.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    KingSpade wrote: »
    Hey I was curious if Canadians can enroll in WGU and also if WGU is accredited.

Thanks in advance.

This is straight from WGU's QA found on the bottom of their Admission Requirement webpage.
    Will you admit students living outside the U.S.?
    At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

Unfortunately, we have discovered we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these problems will be solved in future years. An Enrollment Counselor has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.

To answer your question regarding accreditation, here's your answer below. Again, this comes straight from WGU's website. Mind you but please do more research next time.
    Western Governors University is nationally accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). WGU is also regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of the major accrediting commissions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
  • Options
    KingSpadeKingSpade Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    Right, I have the same plan for a Masters as well. I already have a pretty decent understanding of databases, so I really don't think it would put me that far off compared to a straight software emphasis. Overall, I think i'll plow through them at a pretty good clip.

With that being said, I very much value and appreciate your opinion. Can't wait to actually start getting into some classes.

Any suggestions from experience on what few courses I should set my sights on first?

Totally...my concern for you would have been doing an emphasis just because a majority of others are doing it. I would have liked to do Security myself, but I don't want to deal with getting a CCNA at this point in my career (I don't need it...)

I had to weigh carefully what emphasis I wanted. I narrowed it down between IT Business and NDM. I went with NDM because I wanted to get an MCSE-like cert (the MCITP:EA) as I have been working with servers for years. I always wanted an MCSE but was too lazy to bother with it.

In truth, had I gone with IT Business, I wouldn't have to take foundations courses for an MBA....so it adds an additional year. But hey, it's all good...as long as my MBA has an IT emphasis, I'll be all right.

As to what courses you should take....if a lot of your GEs are done, then start with LET1/ORC1/MGC1....you can use my signature for a guide too. The software classes, I can't help you with (even BOV1....i took the older Javascript exam). But alot of us are doing them....
  • Options
    KingSpade wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

Give WGU a call. I believe there are Canadians enrolled in WGU.
  • Options
    Halfway through my first term I have completed the 14 CUs I originally registered for. I had my mentor add BOV1, MGC1 and ORC1. At my current pace, I am expecting to have those complete with a full month still remaining on my term. I have the following courses left:

LAT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, IWT1, TPV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1, CPW3

Would any of those be fairly easy to knock out in the final month or would it be cutting things too close? My ultimate goal is to finish in 2 more terms (not a strict goal since GI Bill will cover tuition either way).

My current plan is:

Term 2 (First half) - LAT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, IWT1
    Term 2 (Second Half) - AHV1, TPV1 (and AIH1 if time allows)
    Term 3 - Complete MCITP:EA, TWA1 and CPW3.

It may be a bit over ambitious but that is my current plan for completion. If I can fit another one of those courses into Term 1, it will make that goal a bit easier to achieve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Halfway through my first term I have completed the 14 CUs I originally registered for. I had my mentor add BOV1, MGC1 and ORC1. At my current pace, I am expecting to have those complete with a full month still remaining on my term. I have the following courses left:

LAT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, IWT1, TPV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1, CPW3

Would any of those be fairly easy to knock out in the final month or would it be cutting things too close? My ultimate goal is to finish in 2 more terms (not a strict goal since GI Bill will cover tuition either way).

My current plan is:

Term 2 (First half) - LAT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, IWT1
    Term 2 (Second Half) - AHV1, TPV1 (and AIH1 if time allows)
    Term 3 - Complete MCITP:EA, TWA1 and CPW3.

It may be a bit over ambitious but that is my current plan for completion. If I can fit another one of those courses into Term 1, it will make that goal a bit easier to achieve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The final month is a little tricky. First of all, they stop handing out vouchers halfway through the last month and test scores need to be submitted a week before the last month ends. I passed my last exam for my last term a week into the last month of that term. What you should do after that is, ask your mentor to unlock materials for a course that is tough but do not add it to your AAV. Then you use that month to study for that last course and immediately add it the first day of your next term and request a voucher.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    drew726 wrote: »
    The final month is a little tricky. First of all, they stop handing out vouchers halfway through the last month and test scores need to be submitted a week before the last month ends. I passed my last exam for my last term a week into the last month of that term. What you should do after that is, ask your mentor to unlock materials for a course that is tough but do not add it to your AAV. Then you use that month to study for that last course and immediately add it the first day of your next term and request a voucher.

That's a good idea. The 70-640 will take me at least a month to read and do labs. Knocking out 6 CUs during the first week of the term would be a great way to start off Term 2. :D

Thanks.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Finally made it to my capstone project! Can't wait to finish up my degree. :D
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

congrats im gonna be pushing it to get done this term so i can walk in feb
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    gratz, you should be finished by the time I start >_<
  • Options
    So close to getting task 4 of the 2nd java class done. Still have to do all the documentation. I hope this passes on the first try, can't wait to start on tech writing.
  • Options
    That's a good idea. The 70-640 will take me at least a month to read and do labs. Knocking out 6 CUs during the first week of the term would be a great way to start off Term 2. :D

Thanks.

Don't underestimate LAT1.....that course is arguably the hardest writing class in WGU (2CUs my --- and yes harder than Tech Writing and Capstone....at least with the latter, you are writing about something you are familiar with. LAT1 OTOH has to be a general-NON IT topic that requires the use of various methods of research, such as books, journals, periodicals, etc.) You will be using the WGU library for that one. You also WILL be spending a good amount of time to knock that out.

Your math seems strong though, so I would work on QLT1 in conjunction to LAT1, but don't assume LAT1 will be done in a couple of days cause it's 2 CUs....it's a big PITA.

Funny though...LAE1 was done within a couple of days.....LAT1 almost several weeks.

Finally when you get to the sciences, you will simply be more annoyed than anything else. The WGU science classes are, IMO, the most useless classes ever. If I wanted to do 5th grade science, I'd have gone back to grammar school. I didn't learn anything "new..." the scientific method was introduced to me, literally in the 5th grade. And your experiment that you will need to do will be one that any 10 year old can do. I seriously don't know how those science classes count for college....I'd have been better off going to community college and taking a science lab course.

Finally, spend a good time reading the PK0-003. I guess you transferred LET1 in so you are already familiar with at least some of the topics discussed for Project+. Try to shoot for that exam before your ORC1 and MGC1 and after passing, gun for both of them after (take the preassessment to see how well you do.)

Sounds like you'll do well and be on your way.
  • Options
    flash23flash23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got 92 on the WFV1 real easy test now to knockout the comptia A+ did anyone pass just using learnkey I've been reading through the all in one book but wondering if there was a better one I don't really wanna read 1000 pages
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I am actually thinking of switching to the database emphasis now. It still provides what appears to be significant OOP based programming courses, yet adds more db courses. I think, the differences in what certs you get also seem to be more marketable post school.

I have to agree with you on this. Currently, I am trying(TRYING being the key word) to enroll for the database emphasis. During completion of my AAS I studied a lot of Cisco networking, some Microsoft Administration and a little Linux. Since I did not learn anything about databases or programming, I chose to go towards that direction in order to just fill in the gaps. Its my thinking that I could fairly easy switch over to getting MS certs or more Cisco certs if I chose to go that direction later. Having more areas of knowledge just feels like it would be beneficial to me as I currently only have help desk experience and am undecided which direction in IT to go.

That being said, I was wondering how long it took everyone else to get their transcripts evaluated? Currently WGU has had my transcripts for three weeks going on four now. I talked to my enrollment counselor twice, and he said he talked to them about it. I wanted to start in October, but if they are going to take forever with my transcripts, I may not make the October deadline. icon_sad.gif
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking