Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• polysaturatepolysaturate Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question for those of you who have transferred credits in. The wording on much of the transfer guide PDF we get seems all over the place(at least to me). Can one course I currently have, satisfy multiple courses through WGU. Such as my Linux OS course, take care of all courses that have teh requirement " One course in Operating Systems"?

Unfortunately, I got of "I don't know's" and "Let me check" from my enrollment guy.

Also, if I transfer in credits for a particular course that is passed by getting a certification, do I lose out on that cert? or can I still test for it with a voucher?
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    So I've been trying to get set up to start the Masters program in November. No enrollment person will call me back. My ex-mentor has tried getting me in touch with a few people has failed. I've even turned in the application on the main website. I guess they don't want me to continue my education with them.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Question for those of you who have transferred credits in. The wording on much of the transfer guide PDF we get seems all over the place(at least to me). Can one course I currently have, satisfy multiple courses through WGU. Such as my Linux OS course, take care of all courses that have teh requirement " One course in Operating Systems"?

Unfortunately, I got of "I don't know's" and "Let me check" from my enrollment guy.

Also, if I transfer in credits for a particular course that is passed by getting a certification, do I lose out on that cert? or can I still test for it with a voucher?

How's about a "It depends"...

I remember ONE course counting for two classes...that was BAC1 and QMC1...it was a general math course that I took that wasn't a college algebra course, but would have counted as a math requirement at the school I went to. It covered probability and stats but also general algebra. But I didn't have to take BAC1 at WGU though...

You're gonna have to wait for your evaluation to be over and then see if it makes sense to you or not.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    How's about a "It depends"...

I remember ONE course counting for two classes...that was BAC1 and QMC1...it was a general math course that I took that wasn't a college algebra course, but would have counted as a math requirement at the school I went to. It covered probability and stats but also general algebra. But I didn't have to take BAC1 at WGU though...

You're gonna have to wait for your evaluation to be over and then see if it makes sense to you or not.

Interesting, at comm college, I tested into and passed coll. algebra, yet the enrollment guy said it would only go towards BAC1 and no other math courses. That I needed to take one more above coll algebra to clear all math. Unfortunately, it costs me $5 every time i need to send an official transcript off. Lame Sauce.
    If you are sure that the the math course you took was College Algebra and it was a 100-level course (meaning it wasn't Pre-Algebra (0XX) or anything like that, then I would for sure appeal it. You have until you enroll and pay to do any of that. Oh...and of course it has to be at least a C.

I know that the math is different now than when I had to take it. (GAC1 and HHT1) but something has to take, for sure. Keep in mind, I don't really know...I just understood my situation and I am not an enrollment counselor (no one else is here either...to my knowledge...) But I do know you can appeal something if you have a legitimate issue.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you are sure that the the math course you took was College Algebra and it was a 100-level course (meaning it wasn't Pre-Algebra (0XX) or anything like that, then I would for sure appeal it. You have until you enroll and pay to do any of that. Oh...and of course it has to be at least a C.

I know that the math is different now than when I had to take it. (GAC1 and HHT1) but something has to take, for sure. Keep in mind, I don't really know...I just understood my situation and I am not an enrollment counselor (no one else is here either...to my knowledge...) But I do know you can appeal something if you have a legitimate issue.

It was level MAT152, which, i know can vary between colleges, so the number doesn't "match". I may just bite the bullet and send a transcript *now*(it's only five dollars), just to get an official evaluation of courses. I guess this is why everyone here stresses patience with enrollment...heh.

As always, thanks for your response.

PS - Any one have any experience with testing out of Critical Thinking requirements in your school's entrance aptitude testing?
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Well I got my diploma in the mail. Still hasn't hit me that I have a Bachelors degree. Would of been nice if they would of sent a cover or something. Nope just an envelope.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Well I got my diploma in the mail. Still hasn't hit me that I have a Bachelors degree. Would of been nice if they would of sent a cover or something. Nope just an envelope.

A great feeling of accomplishment even though the presentation of the goal was a little lackluster. If you have your diploma now what is presented to you at the graduation ceremony?

I'm through the CCNAS book and Skillport. Now doing the practice testing. Not much in the way of commands, mostly rehashing Security+.

Congratulations again. Well deserved.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

That bites. Even Excelsior was nice enough to put theirs in a fake leather cover.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

That doesn't surprise me much. My community college wasn't any better.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    petedude wrote: »
    That bites. Even Excelsior was nice enough to put theirs in a fake leather cover.

It's better than an email with a PDF version I guess.

I guess it will sink home soon for you.

On the envelope, does it at least say "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" or anything like that? Only reason is I know I'm getting two copies and both are going to PO Boxes (mine and my parents). I was initially just going to get one and just have the degree sent to my parents but then I realized that I want to hang up my degree as well...gives me something to motivate me everyday for grad school.

Congrats once again.
    It was level MAT152, which, i know can vary between colleges, so the number doesn't "match". I may just bite the bullet and send a transcript *now*(it's only five dollars), just to get an official evaluation of courses. I guess this is why everyone here stresses patience with enrollment...heh.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to end up paying $5 again to WGU to send my transcripts to the one school I applied to myself. I could have either waited until I graduated, OR send one now then send another one later.

I'm not exactly crying over $5 though.....if anyone has any graduate school aspirations, they should send official transcripts if they know they are gonna graduate soon. (Before the degree is conferred.) This way one is ahead of the game.

The only transcript they're gonna be waiting on is the one from my community college (they're not part of the clearinghouse program one can do online). I have to send officials of every school that comprised my degree. But I don't feel comfortable mailing it, so I'll go there in person.
  • DatacomGuyDatacomGuy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I've been trying to get set up to start the Masters program in November. No enrollment person will call me back. My ex-mentor has tried getting me in touch with a few people has failed. I've even turned in the application on the main website. I guess they don't want me to continue my education with them.

Wow. I can't get them to STOP calling me. LOL
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just tried to submit my capstone and received an error indicating that a grader has not been assigned to me in the system therefore I cannot submit. I have contacted my mentor but he has not provided me with an update.

I am curious to see if anyone else has had this happen before.......

I'm a little bummed as I stayed up super late to finish it only for the system to tell me I could not submit!
    Seemed to be some type of glitch. I just submitted my capstone!
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□

good luck ... i hope you have no more issues
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Thanks. All is well. Perfect timing to enjoy this weekend!
  • rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finally got my transcripts evaluated a couple days ago. Overall, I'm ecstatic at the result. I was able to have a lot more transfer than I thought I would, even CIWv5. If I am able to really push myself like some of you here are, I might be able to finish in two terms. icon_cheers.gif

If anyone wants to know what transferred for what, in order to get a better idea at might transfer for you, just shoot me a pm.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    It's nice that you get to transfer in more classes than you have left to take. EWB2, MGC1, ORC1, LET1, and WSV1 are all pretty damn easy. KFT1 is tough if you don't like programming, but I see you transferred in the other java class so it might not be too bad for you.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just finished my BOV1 exam (51/55). I am shooting for taking the Project+ exam next weekend. I just finished reading the Sybex book, now reviewing the book recommended in COS along with uCertify material.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Well, as I posted in my EA thread, AIV1 (642) is done and over with. Got a 780, and all that...it just keeps getting to be the longest wait ever.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/58118-erpadmins-mcitp-ea-experiences-3.html#post566679

What was interesting was I noticed a young central Asian lady taking the 70-640 and a gentleman that seemed IT... (he got seated before me) taking Security+ (2008, so it was 201). I took it as a good sign that I would most likely pass.

After I'm done with Capstone (I'll work on it tomorrow, as I actually have work to do tonight....), I'll finish updating my master post that I wrote some time ago (I gotta find it...I know it's here somewhere... :) ) That's gonna be my new signature when this is all over.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Congrats on passing the 70-642. It was harder than I expected. Hence having to take it again in a week.icon_wink.gif
    WGU grad
    Congrats on passing the 70-642. It was harder than I expected. Hence having to take it again in a week.icon_wink.gif

You know I can relate as I had my failure with 640.

What I have been doing since that failure was skipping questions I wasn't 100% sure of and doing them after I got to the end of the exam. That seems to have really helped me out. If I was sure of a question, I answered it. As opposed to the first time I took a MS exam and just treated it as any other exam......

I don't doubt you will pass your other exams...I look forward to getting that Win7 you got though. ;)
    Taskstream has been really fast lately... turned in the last java task last night at 2am and it was graded within 12 hours.

Now to finish up tech writing and capstone by the end of the month somehow.
    Well, I have officially been accepted for admittance through an approved resume. One more thing knocked out of the way. >_<

Now, to see where the transfer credits take me...heh
    My technical writing was graded within a day of turning it in. I submitted my capstone on Friday and have been so anxious to find out if I passed. I've been checking TS and my email every 5-10 mins!
    Set it and forget it, man.....

I have TS notification email sent to both my smart and dumb phone.....I'm not even going to sweat Capstone when it's finally turned in.
    So does tech writing/capstone have to be a real project or can it be theoretical? I see if you use something from work they have to sign an authorization form, not sure mine would do that so that messes up my plan.
    I thought I would just be able to set it and forget it but now that I actually turned it in, I am freaking out! So anxious to hear back.