Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Have you had your transcripts reviewed? I'm curious if they would wave the MCITP:SA courses for you b/c of your MCSE & MCSA:Security. If not, you could take the upgrade exam before enrollment, then you would only have the 70-646 exam to deal with.

With your AAS and those certs, you could probably finish in one term. Best of luck to you!

Psoasman, in addition to Nobyl's advice, the one thing I would strongly advise you to do is to have a good talking to your enrollment counselor about what classes you would get a "Requirement Met" for your general education courses. You seem like you would probably want to do a Masters (whether you want to right now or not) after WGU.

If you have the opportunity to take those general ed courses, I would highly suggest that you do it. Many of your AAS brethren have done the GEs within 1-3 terms and those classes are not impossible for someone like you to do. Of course, they had to do it before WGU changed it's policy, but in my most humble opinion, your brethren are much better off and prepared for a Masters if they should want to pursue one. (Even if it's at WGU.)

You do not strike me as someone who would run away from a challenge if it was properly presented. Just because WGU says it's ok, doesn't mean that it is, in this instance of their AAS policy. Just consider it and then weigh your choices before you enroll.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just set up a WGU blog this morning to post tips and as a self-motivating tool for my progress:

WGU Course Reviews and Progress Report

I have a lot more to post there but I need to take a break to get some studying in today :)
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Psoasman, in addition to Nobyl's advice, the one thing I would strongly advise you to do is to have a good talking to your enrollment counselor about what classes you would get a "Requirement Met" for your general education courses. You seem like you would probably want to do a Masters (whether you want to right now or not) after WGU.

If you have the opportunity to take those general ed courses, I would highly suggest that you do it. Many of your AAS brethren have done the GEs within 1-3 terms and those classes are not impossible for someone like you to do. Of course, they had to do it before WGU changed it's policy, but in my most humble opinion, your brethren are much better off and prepared for a Masters if they should want to pursue one. (Even if it's at WGU.)

You do not strike me as someone who would run away from a challenge if it was properly presented. Just because WGU says it's ok, doesn't mean that it is, in this instance of their AAS policy. Just consider it and then weigh your choices before you enroll.

Good advice from both of you. I plan to do just that. I am working on the 640 and 642 now. I am not a huge fan of upgrade exams. Working on the 640 R2 material, there are a lot of changes from Server 2003. I want to get these out of the way - and learn it thoroughly - before I start WGU. I understand your point about the AAS transferring in a lot of courses, if I can clear some English, I will be happy. I had started a general AA a few years ago, with some English and Science courses, which may clear some of the writing courses.
    Reading through these threads has given me some "insider" information icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I understand your point about the AAS transferring in a lot of courses, if I can clear some English, I will be happy. I had started a general AA a few years ago, with some English and Science courses, which may clear some of the writing courses.
    Reading through these threads has given me some "insider" information icon_wink.gif

That would certainly count as "Transferred" instead of "Requirement Met."

I would actually be ok with the current AAS policy if it was open to all students at all schools in WGU (e.g. Teachers College, Nursing, Business.) However, this policy is ONLY for IT students. To me, that translates into "we, at WGU, think you IT students too f---ing stupid to do real classes and just want to do some tech...so we will dumb down what's already a doable program into something that's even more easy...." I refuse to believe that; all of those GE courses are doable if you spend your 20 hours a week working on them, plus dedicate some weekends.I only transferred 28 CUs...minus A+/Net+ that means I only had 22 CUs from college...22 out of ~60 CUs for the GE requirement. It took me seven months to complete the GE requirement at WGU--but I did it and I'm not a friggin genius. :)
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well I failed the 70-642 for the second time. This time by 2 questions. It is kinda embarrassing actually since I administer and set up an entire 2008 r2 ad domain in the last year or so at work. I'm just at a loss on what to do. I have been through the MS press 2nd edition book 5-6 times and have done the labs and more labbing on my own. I have been through Labsim 3 times. I bought the Kaplan selftest software and am getting no less than 85% on any test I take. It seems that every question I see the book or labsim never even came close to covering. Maybe I just need to walk away from it and take the 70-640.

Supposedly the 70-642 is the easier one. I wonder what I am in store for the rest of the wayicon_sad.gif. Next time I may get away from the moderate, 1-2 years thing, because it isn't working for me.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Well I failed the 70-642 for the second time. This time by 2 questions. It is kinda embarrassing actually since I administer and set up an entire 2008 r2 ad domain in the last year or so at work. I'm just at a loss on what to do. I have been through the MS press 2nd edition book 5-6 times and have done the labs and more labbing on my own. I have been through Labsim 3 times. I bought the Kaplan selftest software and am getting no less than 85% on any test I take. It seems that every question I see the book or labsim never even came close to covering. Maybe I just need to walk away from it and take the 70-640.

Supposedly the 70-642 is the easier one. I wonder what I am in store for the rest of the wayicon_sad.gif. Next time I may get away from the moderate, 1-2 years thing, because it isn't working for me.

I think that's what did it for me. A lot of the same type of questions that were on the 70-642 were on the 70-640....there was tremendous overlap. I think if you switch gears and take the 70-640 and then pass that, you'll be able to take the 70-642 within the next couple of days.

Were you skipping questions you weren't sure of first though or were you just answering as you were going along? Skipping questions until the bitter end for sure helped me pass these exams.

Three times will definitely be a charm. :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Have you contacted Jason Jia? He provided some very helpful tips for studying. I would call him if I were you.
  • Options
    Have you contacted Jason Jia? He provided some very helpful tips for studying. I would call him if I were you.

I have veritas. He gave me some suggestions, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Thanks for the tips ERP!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    That would certainly count as "Transferred" instead of "Requirement Met."

I would actually be ok with the current AAS policy if it was open to all students at all schools in WGU (e.g. Teachers College, Nursing, Business.) However, this policy is ONLY for IT students. To me, that translates into "we, at WGU, think you IT students too f---ing stupid to do real classes and just want to do some tech...so we will dumb down what's already a doable program into something that's even more easy...." I refuse to believe that; all of those GE courses are doable if you spend your 20 hours a week working on them, plus dedicate some weekends.I only transferred 28 CUs...minus A+/Net+ that means I only had 22 CUs from college...22 out of ~60 CUs for the GE requirement. It took me seven months to complete the GE requirement at WGU--but I did it and I'm not a friggin genius. :)

I'll admit I was surprised to see the AAS option for IT only. I think the full program is doable. In finishing my AAS, I was able to complete most of the coursework in 6-7 / 11 weeks allotted. I worked graves at the time and had tons of downtime at work for it.
  • Options

Sorry to hear you didn't pass.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have veritas. He gave me some suggestions, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Thanks for the tips ERP!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that! I just bought the R2 version of the MS Press book and I'm considering getting the Kaplan or Transcender for 642. I'm not sure if it's worth it though.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A bit off topic but since everyone on this thread has Books24x7 access, the new Metasploit book is now available on there. I just bought it on Amazon a week ago. I should have held out just a little longer, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hypothetically speaking, let's say someone wants to change emphasis solely because she can take advantage of every certifications she is interested in on their dime. She could have finish her degree in one term she's currently in, but decided to extend it to the next term, which is already paid for free. The only problem here is that she may get herself stuck into two or more additional terms if those certification studies ended up taking more time than she initially thought. Would you advise against it?

I have a feeling this is such a bad idea, but it can be very tempting to go after all those certifications. Especially when you are unemployed, broke and don't have any luck on job search or you wanted to expand your horizons.
  • Options
    That really is a tough call hidden. If it were me I would just get the degree done which may help with your job search. I can also understand about getting more certification as well. If you go an extra semester beyond the free one will that cost you money?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That really is a tough call hidden. If it were me I would just get the degree done which may help with your job search. I can also understand about getting more certification as well. If you go an extra semester beyond the free one will that cost you money?

I was just speaking hypothetically, because I don't recall many WGU students here at TE doing it. I mean who would pass up free certs. So I was curious to see what you guys would have done. I would not do it, because of the time restraint, and I'm not a quick learner. But I know some of you are quick with your studies that probably can do this, but I want to hear what you guys have to say. I might do a master at WGU after I finish.
  • Options
    I was just speaking hypothetically, because I don't recall many WGU students here at TE doing it. I mean who would pass up free certs. So I was curious to see what you guys would have done. I would not do it, because of the time restraint, and I'm not a quick learner. But I know some of you are quick with your studies that probably can do this, but I want to hear what you guys have to say. I might do a master at WGU after I finish.

Since I'm somewhat convinced that this "friend" isn't you, here's my take on this:

A WGU student should obtain a degree that is inline with his/her goals...not because a cert is "free" (and it's not "free" btw, but that's neither here nor there.)

I had my options to get any IT emphasis degree I wanted. I ruled out Security because I didn't want to spend time getting a CCNA I'm not going to use (I want to do it one day for enjoyment...not to put on my resume). I didn't want Databases because I didn't want to spend time with Oracle (while that may have helped me for an Oracle shop down the road, I am sure I can learn Oracle at an Oracle shop if and when it is appropriate.) Even when that emphasis changed to Microsoft, that was more geared toward development, as opposed to administration. So my only choices were Network Administration, regular IT, and IT: Business and NDM. If I didn't do NDM, I would have done Business...however, not many (if at all) were doing IT: Business...so I went with NDM so that I can get my MCSE-like certs AND get a degree. It fit my goals....I didn't want to learn something new...WGU isn't a good school for learning new things....it's to see how competent you already are. Otherwise, I would have spent many terms finishing a degree.

I found it acceptable to do three terms. I didn't need to kill myself doing everything in one term; three was pretty much acceptable.

I'm not a sprinter when it came to finishing CUs....I'm more of a marathon runner. It was more important to finish at a respectable pace.
  • Options
    SheckyShecky Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My term ends October 31, 2011.

I have two classes left before graduation. TWA1 and CPW3.

When is the last day I can turn in my two performance assessments (TWA1, CPW3)? Is today my last day? icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Shecky wrote: »

When is the last day I can turn in my two performance assessments (TWA1, CPW3)? Is today my last day? icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

talk to your mentor tell them you only need a month and they will most likely pro-rate it, if its only a month
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options

Realistically....you want to be done with BOTH by October 15th. Any later and you run the risk of having taskstream graders sit on it for awhile...especially if you want to graduate at the end of this term.

If you need sample papers, PM me your email address...I'll send you the same sample papers I used for my own project. Get in contact with that DH guy (course mentor for both classes) NOW to have him approve your idea paper. That guy loves making students wait on his own time...

Having both classes done in a month is doable....but you are cutting it close.
  • Options

i feel ya in the exact situation, i just dont know what to do next, maybe ill do windows 7
  • Options
    maybe ill do windows 7

I just spoke to my mentor about this....we're both in agreement that I should work on 70-680 for October. I already installed Windows 7 Enterprise N 64-bit courtesy of my job [I love VLS!] (apparently, the "N" means no Media Center, but that can be downloaded here after SP1 is installed...other than that, it's the same as Ultimate.)

Between Professor Messer, MS Press guide and a little labsim (plus some very light 685/686 reading), I'll feel ready by end of October...then we'll finish off the server exams.

I want to give myself time to pass this exam in case I fail the first time. I'm pretty confident with the other two....
  • Options
    I just spoke to my mentor about this....we're both in agreement that I should work on 70-680 for October. I already installed Windows 7 Enterprise N 64-bit courtesy of my job [I love VLS!] (apparently, the "N" means no Media Center, but that can be downloaded here after SP1 is installed...other than that, it's the same as Ultimate.)

Between Professor Messer, MS Press guide and a little labsim (plus some very light 685/686 reading), I'll feel ready by end of October...then we'll finish off the server exams.

I want to give myself time to pass this exam in case I fail the first time. I'm pretty confident with the other two....

lol after i typed that i got an email about labsim for windows 7

ive had windows 7 32 bit pro it should be plenty to do some labs from
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201

My term ends today and I turned in tech writing on 9/24 and it was graded (and passed) on 9/27.

Now I'm waiting to be enrolled in capstone and my 30 day extension to be setup.

They'll give you the 30 days if capstone is your only class left. So as long as you get tech writing passed before the end of next month, you can have november as well to do capstone if you want.
  • Options
    You shouldn't have too much trouble with the Win7 erp and demon. It is tougher for a client exam no doubt. I passed it on the first try with a 900. Lab the heck out of deployment and understand what tools work best for what scenario. Unlike the server exams I found that Ucertify was helpful for the exam. Having the 642 under your belt you will already have an understanding of branchcache and direct access. Now if I could just get passed the %$#@ 70-642!

demonfurbie,
    I have another chat with Jason Jia on Monday about where to go. I will let you know what his thoughts are.

Just remember there is the right way, the wrong way, and then there is the Microsoft way!
    WGU grad
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Talked to my mentor yesterday and he stated that I could not have access to any LR's for the MS Server exams. The powers that be said that while they encourage graduates to continue their education these LR's are not part of my degree plan and therefore I could not have access to them. When I asked about the remaining 4 months of my term, he explained that the tuition is for the minimum 12 CU's. Any more credits earned during that term is based solely on the students achievement goals. Really disappointed knowing that these LR's are available but out of reach. Guess I got a mentor that abides by the rules.
  • Options
    You shouldn't have too much trouble with the Win7 erp and demon. It is tougher for a client exam no doubt. I passed it on the first try with a 900. Lab the heck out of deployment and understand what tools work best for what scenario. Unlike the server exams I found that Ucertify was helpful for the exam. Having the 642 under your belt you will already have an understanding of branchcache and direct access. Now if I could just get passed the %$#@ 70-642!

demonfurbie,
    I have another chat with Jason Jia on Monday about where to go. I will let you know what his thoughts are.

Just remember there is the right way, the wrong way, and then there is the Microsoft way!

thanks im already waiting on labsim for windows 7 in the mean time
  • Options
    ssgmun5000ssgmun5000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I have been looking into getting my online degree and seems like WGU is very popular. I have a question about the coursework. I was intially looking into Colorado Tech and they have a class structure with a syllabus and each week you read/write, post on various assignments. They have a website you login to that provides all this information. Now from skimming the posts on here I am picking up that WGU has a different structure. Can anyone provide me more detail on this?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ssgmun5000 wrote: »
    Now from skimming the posts on here I am picking up that WGU has a different structure. Can anyone provide me more detail on this?

The basic idea behind WGU is that you have to demonstrate competency in various knowledge areas to earn your degree. So rather than sitting through tons of lectures and doing busy work every week, you hand in a few larger assignments or take an exam after studying to become "competent" in the subject area. You're given a Course of Study which outlines the resources, information and concepts you should be studying to prepare for the competency assessment (tasks or exams), and will tell you what your reading should be in the assigned text(s) or other Learning Resources.

Rather than spending time in front of a professor, a mentor signs you up for the competency assessments you are scheduled to complete, and checks in on you to see how you're doing. There are also course mentors for the various competency areas, whom you may consult about the material you're studying.

It's basically self-paced, although WGU will ask you for a commitment of 20 hours per week at the outset.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    ssgmun5000ssgmun5000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response petedude. I think I will be going this route.
  • Options
    ssgmun5000 wrote: »
    So I have been looking into getting my online degree and seems like WGU is very popular. I have a question about the coursework. I was intially looking into Colorado Tech and they have a class structure with a syllabus and each week you read/write, post on various assignments. They have a website you login to that provides all this information. Now from skimming the posts on here I am picking up that WGU has a different structure. Can anyone provide me more detail on this?

I was going to answer this same post in the Q&A thread, but since my very good friend Pete answered your inquiry here, I will add to his response.

Your mentor is the same as an Academic Advisor. He/She will be the person that guides you from beginning to end (provided of course, that this person doesn't get promoted...that has happened.) Your course mentors are like professors.

WGU is NOT a place I would recommend anyone who has not done college before. I don't even count having prior certifications, I mean actual college. While someone who has done certs on his own would be more geared towards completing a program at WGU because of self-study, if you're uncomfortable with writing papers or even the simplest of algebra problems, it will be very difficult. Not impossible, but WGU's 22% graduation rate is very telling.

The graduation rate is misleading toward all students because it only accounts for first time students with NO college background. That rate doesn't include transfer students like many of us who are on these threads (those with a prior college background.)

My best advice for students who want the WGU experience, but do not have prior college would be do to www.straighterline.com