Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    Thank you. It feels so good to be done though.
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    just got my eval complete email ... done with kft1 ... wow that class needs a total rework
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just got my eval complete email ... done with kft1 ... wow that class needs a total rework
    Is it still that student database with MySQL?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    yep thats the one
    yep thats the one
    Yeah that one is pretty significant. If you don't mind me asking, how was dealing with UML diagrams and what not? Did you use any particular software?
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Itching for taskstream to be open to me. I've got a few tasks to submit already. Currently working LKT2, LOT2, TFT2, and VUT2. Depending on how I feel once i've submitted all 3 tasks for LKT2 and i'm waiting on grades I may dive headlong into VUT2. The social engineering aspects of task 1 fascinates me, I wish the topic were covered more in depth in a class on its own.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Yeah that one is pretty significant. If you don't mind me asking, how was dealing with UML diagrams and what not? Did you use any particular software?
    visual paradime (sp) and publisher

tbh the paperwork was more than the code
  • leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Thanks TLe!

I appreciate the gratz. The program is not easy at all and with my current position it has been a challenge. Infact I am not sure when I will start up on the other course to be honest. This new position is grooming me for an engagement manager which requires a lot of long hours and major deliverables.

I haven't even been able to post much on here lately. Back to creating training documentation and process and procedure documentation.

***What's scary is I am getting just as good with Visio as I am with Excel, Access, and Word.

What do you think of the MBA program so far? What classes have been the biggest challenge? I'm looking to do a Masters next, but haven't decided which one just yet.
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

• amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Itching for taskstream to be open to me. I've got a few tasks to submit already. Currently working LKT2, LOT2, TFT2, and VUT2. Depending on how I feel once i've submitted all 3 tasks for LKT2 and i'm waiting on grades I may dive headlong into VUT2. The social engineering aspects of task 1 fascinates me, I wish the topic were covered more in depth in a class on its own.

I'm already finding VUT2 to be more enjoyable than LKT2. Social engineering indeed warrants its own class.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    visual paradime (sp) and publisher

tbh the paperwork was more than the code
    Thanks. And yeah, I believe it.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow this is one long Tread. What this also means is that there are going to be a lot of people with the same certs and degree out in the job market. So glad I have another degree and Military to help me stand out in this crowd of WGU alumni. Wish I knew what I know now about WGU. But I don't have the time to sit in a big university's class room and listen to tired old professors trying to tell me how they thing the world is. Almost all of them haven't a clue. I will listen to the ones that come out and say they don't know everything and just want to see their students achieve their dream of getting a piece of paper that pretty much is worthless without real world experience. Degree's are great, but real world experience with a Degree is more ideal. So that's where WGU comes in as a better options for non-traditional students.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    Wow this is one long Tread. What this also means is that there are going to be a lot of people with the same certs and degree out in the job market. So glad I have another degree and Military to help me stand out in this crowd of WGU alumni. Wish I knew what I know now about WGU.

I served 6 years in the Army National Guard, including 1 tour in Iraq during all of 2005. After my return from Iraq, I earned my bachelor's degree (not at WGU). While doing this, I did a 1 1/2 year stint in the federal work-study program (performing system and network support). I also completed an 8 month internship as a Software Developer. All of this, of course, was before I completed my bachelor program.

I've since completed a 6 month contract for computer roll outs. I now work as a software consultant (something I've done since February 2011). I also earned all of my current certifications outside of WGU. CCENT will be the first (of 4) I earn from the MSISA program at WGU.

None of my experience registers a 10.0 on the Richter scale. With that said, we all have redeemable qualities which make us stand out amongst others. It's just a matter of marketing said qualities.
    But I don't have the time to sit in a big university's class room and listen to tired old professors trying to tell me how they thing the world is. Almost all of them haven't a clue. I will listen to the ones that come out and say they don't know everything and just want to see their students achieve their dream of getting a piece of paper that pretty much is worthless without real world experience. Degree's are great, but real world experience with a Degree is more ideal. So that's where WGU comes in as a better options for non-traditional students.

I agree with this.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you switch mentors? Mine is inconsistent.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What this also means is that there are going to be a lot of people with the same certs and degree out in the job market.

Not necessarily true. Many alumni just get the degree to have the degree, or have it as a checkbox so that they can qualify for a promotion in their current organization. Others are also using the degree as a requirement for graduate school (like me.) Still though, while my name is erpadmin, MCITP:EA, Security+, Project+, blah, blah, blah...I'm not going for the same job you are. My career focus is Enterprise Resource Planning (PeopleSoft) systems, which requires a skillset IN ADDITION to a regular IT skillset. Project Management comes to mind, but also technical issues that are unique to the ERP space (but that requires knowledge and skillsets from a regular technical background.)

Remember, WGU alumni/students may have degrees/experience, but no two students/alumni are alike (even if they were/are identical twins.) My background/experience is different from yours (not better, not worst, but different.)
    But I don't have the time to sit in a big university's class room and listen to tired old professors trying to tell me how they thing the world is. Almost all of them haven't a clue. I will listen to the ones that come out and say they don't know everything and just want to see their students achieve their dream of getting a piece of paper that pretty much is worthless without real world experience. Degree's are great, but real world experience with a Degree is more ideal.

As a guy who does hold experience higher than certs and degrees (as well as having all three), I agree with that in the sense that depending on the job; experience is certainly important to getting a job. However, that's where that ends; experience by itself may not get you the job. Especially if the job is a job in management. In which case, WGU does a great job in providing a checkbox for meeting the degree requirement. It also allows an individual such as myself to obtain a MS/MBA at a brick and mortars school. Right now, I have a class that's using a required book on Leadership that was written in 2002. To give you an idea of how long ago 10 years really is, Apple was considered a failing company. iPods, iPhones, iPads didn't exist then. And this is Masters level course....however, in order to further compete in the job market and be a huge differentiator from the competition that may not have a graduate-level degree, sometimes you have to suck things up and barrel through it without complaining. WGU did a great job in preparing me for that kind of endeavor.
  • ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. Many alumni just get the degree to have the degree, or have it as a checkbox so that they can qualify for a promotion in their current organization. Others are also using the degree as a requirement for graduate school (like me.) Still though, while my name is erpadmin, MCITP:EA, Security+, Project+, blah, blah, blah...I'm not going for the same job you are. My career focus is Enterprise Resource Planning (PeopleSoft) systems, which requires a skillset IN ADDITION to a regular IT skillset. Project Management comes to mind, but also technical issues that are unique to the ERP space (but that requires knowledge and skillsets from a regular technical background.)

Remember, WGU alumni/students may have degrees/experience, but no two students/alumni are alike (even if they were/are identical twins.) My background/experience is different from yours (not better, not worst, but different.)

As a guy who does hold experience higher than certs and degrees (as well as having all three), I agree with that in the sense that depending on the job; experience is certainly important to getting a job. However, that's where that ends; experience by itself may not get you the job. Especially if the job is a job in management. In which case, WGU does a great job in providing a checkbox for meeting the degree requirement. It also allows an individual such as myself to obtain a MS/MBA at a brick and mortars school. Right now, I have a class that's using a required book on Leadership that was written in 2002. To give you an idea of how long ago 10 years really is, Apple was considered a failing company. iPods, iPhones, iPads didn't exist then. And this is Masters level course....however, in order to further compete in the job market and be a huge differentiator from the competition that may not have a graduate-level degree, sometimes you have to suck things up and barrel through it without complaining. WGU did a great job in preparing me for that kind of endeavor.

Are there many people on here that have gone onto a MS program with simply the WGU degree? That is my biggest concern and why I am thinking of doing Dakota State University (online program) instead. DSU also seems to have more substance in a more solid education when comparing the curriculum. My goal is to get into Rochester Institute Technology after I complete my B.S. Someone suggested it doesn't matter what route you take as long as its cheap, but what happens if no MS programs accept transfer from WGU degree only?
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a (non-exhaustive) list on WGU's website of schools that have accepted WGU degrees as pre-requisite for a masters.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Can you switch mentors? Mine is inconsistent.

Yes, you can. Do you have one of those mentors who doesn't return calls or emails?
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if you can request specific mentors or not, but mine is really great. Always on time with phone calls and responds to my e-mails sometimes even on his days off (I got several e-mails from him over this last holiday weekend). If you want his name, send me a PM.
    You are able to request specific mentors, I requested one for my MS as my BS mentor does not do MS mentoring unfortunately. I can suggest a BS mentor if you'd like, just PM and let me know.
    Passed the BOV1 (JavaScript) exam this morning. Going to start on CJV1 tonight. 5 classes to go!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How was the Javascript test?
    As someone who has done that test, if you have any previous coding experience it should be a breeze. Keep in mind it is a CIW test, the difficulty level is going to be on the low side, even for someone with no previous experience.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh ok thanks for answering my question. How are the leadership and principals of management classes do you have to write a few papers then take a test?
    I did RIT1 in 2 days. This class is simply writing 4 papers. Principles of Management in a week, mostly due to the 5-day waiting period to schedule the proctored exam with the web cam. This class was basically read the book and take a test. Make sure you do the pre-assessment for these classes. You'll get a breakdown of the strong / weak areas.
    Task 2 for LKT2 came back with a pass. You can really tell the difference between the level of complexity between the undergrad and the graduate programs. My task 3 is getting close to the size of my undergrad capstone at this point. icon_lol.gif
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Task 2 for LKT2 came back with a pass. You can really tell the difference between the level of complexity between the undergrad and the graduate programs. My task 3 is getting close to the size of my undergrad capstone at this point. icon_lol.gif

Very true! My manual was 18 pages long. My undergrad capstone was only few pages less. I find this kind of assignment more enjoyable than Task 1. I'm taking a break for a while since I really want to get my RHCSA sooner. By the way, how did you do on Task 1? I plan to tackle it again after I finish reviewing the UNIX book.
    Have you done one of the chat sessions with the mentor? She has a document that outlines pretty much everything you need. She suggests, and I agree with, writing a full paper and then extrapolating the important information into your slides and presenter notes. Ended up passing that one just fine as well.

The only reason I hadn't finished task 3, I had a ton of questions to ask the mentor about the level of freedom we have to improvise in our network merge and security policies. Just wondering what you chose your five biggest security threats as, I had four of them immediately given the physical makeup of the network but the fifth took me a little time.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You just made me realized I missed the chat session again this morning. I definitely got carried away with the study, and as you can see, I must have been losing motivation already as I was frustrated with the task. icon_rolleyes.gif I just set the reminder on my phone this time, so I don't forget. I emailed the mentor, but her response wasn't enough. Maybe she divulges more details in the chat session, but I thought the same thing too like you said. Just write a paper then put the summaries on the slides. I will get back to it once I boost my self-esteem back to where it should be after completing my RHCSA milestone.

Task 3 seems straightforward, but I know I will have to do a lot of reading, so I can be sure I don't miss anything. It will definitely take me a while to finish it.
    Ah, yeah I just finished up the last of my Visio and submitted the task. Now to take the rest of the evening off and enjoy tomorrow at the botanical gardens. When I get home, on to VUT2 task 1, been thinking about that one ever since I read it, so excited to do it.
  • CBaerCBaer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats usagent27!! Well done.