Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lelei wrote: »
    I would try to knock out TWA1 and your capstone first, while working on LET1 and INC1. Write the papers and while they are pending in Taskstream, study the materials for the other two classes. Also, if you get stuck while writing and need to take a break, you can switch to studying for the other classes as well. I think a system like that is your best bet for knocking out as much as possible before the end of your term.

INT1 was a monster of an exam. It covered a very wide range of subject matter and was the toughest out of the classes I took due to amount of material it covered. Its not deep, but its very wide.

That was my first idea, but I still cannot get in contact with the TWA1 course mentors to ask them some questions. I believe I'm going to start with INT1 since I still have science fresh in my mind (I hope). Really, INC1 was a monster....I'm glad that was my last objective exam, no more sitting like a mummy for 2 hours.....

Any other comment, advice.....I'm all ears....I'm just having a hard time getting started and deciding what to do for my next class???????? Writing is not my thing.....or maybe I'm lacking motivation....

Thank you for your post.
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

• DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I haven't needed my mentor for much but it is so awkward to talk to him every week. He doesn't say all that much so I feel like I need to carry a conversation but I really just want to get off the phone! Definitely not a "people person" but I'll admit I am not one either. To me it just feels like a waste of time since I'm not getting anything out of it. I guess its not that big of a deal when it comes to my courses, maybe I just wanted to have a mini rant. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    You have to think about it as being in contact with your mentor is like attendance. My calls are usually 5-10 minutes every other week and consist of me telling him how my classes are going and him telling me any new school procedures. He always ends the phone call asking if there is anything I need him to do and what my goals are for our next phone call and I use that as motovation.
    I understand that it is required and our conversation is somewhat along those lines but usually only last about 2-4 minutes. My point is that I would have liked someone easier to converse with who doesn't talk in monotone lol.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @Drovor you can request a different mentor if you don't like the one you have. Similar issues have been suggested by other folks on these forums a few times. I can PM you the name of my Mentor if you like(just lemme know, I'm under the impression you can request specific individuals) sometimes the conversations we have range from 15minutes to 30minutes (the guy likes to talk lol).
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • galedgaled Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the opposite problem. Mine is really a people person and hard to get off the phone. Calls last between 30 minutes to and hour usually.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think he's saying he doesn't want or need to talk to his mentor.

I speak to my mentor every Thursday. Yesterday I had nothing new to report but he still felt obliged to call. I don't mind it shows a commitment from the school to make sure student's needs are addressed and provide motivation. I do wish my mentor had more in common career wise.

I'd like to become a mentor and get all drill sergeant on my students.
    @Paul - Thanks, I think I will give it some time and see how it goes. I actually don't mind the short conversions it is just never a smooth one. I guess that it something positive I can take out of it!

@Spiderjericho - I don't mind talking to a mentor once a week. It seems awkward for the most part with my particular mentor though.
  • leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first mentor I did not get along with very well. I emailed student services and they assigned me to an awesome mentor that really helped me knock out the degree quickly.

Personality conflicts happen, just email student services and be honest about the situation. Getting switched to a new mentor is not a big deal and it can drastically change your student experience for the better.
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think he's saying he doesn't want or need to talk to his mentor.

I speak to my mentor every Thursday. Yesterday I had nothing new to report but he still felt obliged to call. I don't mind it shows a commitment from the school to make sure student's needs are addressed and provide motivation. I do wish my mentor had more in common career wise.

I'd like to become a mentor and get all drill sergeant on my students.

I wrote a post about this sometime after I graduated, but mentors aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Long and short of it, they have to call you so that WGU can have some contact with the student so that WGU can still qualify for financial aid funding. Without the mentor, WGU would not really be talking to students because WGU doesn't "teach" in the traditional sense.

There is nothing wrong with that, but just know that mentors calling students weekly is not altruistic; they have to keep in touch with students since there isn't a professor doing it (which is why other online schools do not have mentors....you are dealing with a professor through a learning management system and email, etc.)
  • a735263a735263 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I know there is a sticky for this, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any current students able to help me out with a referral code to WGU? Ty if you can!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    a735263 wrote: »
    So I know there is a sticky for this, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any current students able to help me out with a referral code to WGU? Ty if you can!

I just sent you a PM.
  • a735263a735263 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My start date was today and it all seemed like a whirlwind of information and things to do before getting started and now that I have buckled up and started the coursework for wfv1 i'm starting to get that focus that I need to absorb this information. I plan on completing BNC1, WFV1, AGC1, and CLC1 all withing these next two months, and ultimately scoring 36 CUs or more this first term. Now my mentor seems very busy and detached but that is fine with me lol as long as I can get her approval for assessments and such I will be content. The experience so far is what I expected, a bunch of resources organized efficiently in the form of videos, PDFs,contacts for particular courses, and even offsite resources, I mean they really set you up for success, and i'm ready for it!
  • Divine KismetDivine Kismet Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My start date was yesterday. For my first term I am taking AXV1, CPV1, AGC1, and BBC1, but I plan on accelerating, hopefully completing at least 30 CUs per term. I'm not a huge fan of my mentor as she comes off quite...condescending. I'm going to give our relationship some time to grow though before I decide whether or not to request a mentor change. Anyway, I am very excited to be working my way towards my Bachelor's.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I just got my start date and intake interview done. Looking forward to starting!
  • hostingbadgerhostingbadger Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the input. I have attended several other Universities and am definitely going to finish here. It sounds like the potential personality conflicts with the mentor(s) is good conflict resolution education.
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    After completing the application, they assigned me an "automated enrollment counselor" it seems. I relied to the generated email when they asked when the best time to contact you is. I responded with after 4 pm. One hour later I got a voice mail on my phone and an email saying we tried to call you. I hope after getting through the enrollment process it will be much better experience, but I cant complain when its free education.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah enrollment is normally the hangup for a lot of people. It goes much more smoothly after enrollment. Good luck in your endeavors!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Princessh1977Princessh1977 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everyone I have spoken to thus far has been extremely helpful. They are all so willing to help in any way possible.
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    AXV1 and CPV1 finished! Feels great. 822/830 were my official scores. The Labsim content and Meyers material were more than enough to adequately prepare me for the test. I was thinking about pursuing the Network + while working on the Security + at the same time. It is not required of my program, also I am in no rush, but it would not hurt either way and might tie in real nicely to the Security + since I am not well versed with networking.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • egakegak Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, I was wondering how hard it is to get accepted into the IT BS program? I'd be transferring in with an Associate of Science (General, not in IT) and plan on getting however many certs are necessary to be qualified to apply, I think about 2? Probably A+ and Network+. I've never worked in IT, but I have a love for technology and know basic hardware stuff like in the A+, and a little webdesign, etc... took a few courses for my associates in this stuff. I get my associates after this term, just finishing up my last math course :D.
    I'm just wondering if I will get rejected because I'm "new" to IT and just really like the idea of WGU's online, 6 month term, competency program and not an IT professional already. Also wondering, what type of Math courses will I be required to take? I'm in Math 111 now, trig/precalc.

Hope this is the right place to post... Thanks!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These are the requirements for admission:

Special requirements for WGU’s B.S. IT programs

Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    Demonstrate IT experience either through:
    An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
    High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
    Two or more upper-level networking courses; OR
    Two or more upper-level object-oriented programming courses (Java, C#, etc.); OR
    One or more upper-level operating systems courses; OR
    One or more upper-level information security and assurance courses.
    Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years. Click here to see what IT certifications may transfer to WGU.
    Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.

I'd check with the enrollment counselor. If your A.S. is not in IT, but you've taken an operating systems course for example, you should be able to get in. If not, then I'd get the CIW:Foundations cert. Its probably the easiest one to get.
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got my transfer results. Ten courses transferred. I have one issue though. MGC1 (principles of management) doesn't appear on the list at all. I took a course in College named the same thingicon_lol.gif Does WGU still require MGC1 or has it been eliminated?
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the guide for the BS-IT program, under the Organizational Behavior and Management Domain, it states: "Prior coursework does not
    transfer to meet the requirements of this domain."

There are other courses that you can't transfer in. I suggest comparing your program guide to your transfer evaluation for a full list of courses you have left to take.
  • fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I know this is the wrong thread to post this kind of stuff, but could you guys please send a referral link? and by the way, I plan on transferring to WGU from a CC and my question is: how many classes will i eliminate with a CCNA cert and a degree in Network Administrator and Support? Thanks a lot!!!
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA counts for two classes completed. For your degree it depends. Your degree might knock out most of the general education and some lower end classes.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
    I got denied to WGU because I am a full time working adult, said I could spend 21+ hours doing school work. I passed my entrance exams. Oh well, there are better online schools out there.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Vanquish23,

Just curious, did they give you a reason? I, along with many other people, are WGU students and meet the standards you mentioned.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    I got this email from my "Automated Enrollment Consular:"
    Our analysis indicates you will have difficulty with college studies at WGU, and we cannot offer you admission at this time.

The following criteria are considered by WGU when making an admission decision:

* Your interview(s) with a WGU Enrollment Counselor
    * Your prior college experience and work experience
    * Your results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment
    * The time commitment you can make to your studies