Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU are truly generous with their transfer credits. I was expecting only 32 CU's from my certifications however, my transfer evaluation actually showed 38.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed my first class today (BNC1)!

Just wanted to give a heads up on those who are using the camera and doing the exams at home... dual monitors are a no go. I logged in and started the exam and it booted me because of my dual monitor setup. I had to remove one and it's a bit tricky for me to do with the way my setup is. Wish I would have known before hand so I could have taken care of that. Definitely stressed me out a bit considering this was my first exam but I passed anyway! :)
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Reseven wrote: »

Just wanted to give a heads up on those who are using the camera and doing the exams at home... dual monitors are a no go. I logged in and started the exam and it booted me because of my dual monitor setup. I had to remove one and it's a bit tricky for me to do with the way my setup is. Wish I would have known before hand so I could have taken care of that. Definitely stressed me out a bit considering this was my first exam but I passed anyway! :)

Congrats on the pass.

Ya, I learned that the hard way too, lol. Before the new system (that's in place now) I would start a test and without fail, they'd kick me out and tell me to call them...The proctor would make me move my camera around to verify that the 2nd monitor was indeed turned off. This new system works a lot better.

I just completed my last proctored test last night though:)
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    My enrollment consular sent an appeal to admissions, and found out Friday that I was accepted. Weird school.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • natvnatv Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question about term breaks.. I believe we can do a 3 month (maybe with extension a 4 month break)

Does anyone know the process if you need to take a longer amount of time off (like 6 months to a year). How does it work when you want to come back?

Thanks
    Currently Working on: HHT1
    Courses
    Transferred/
    Completed at WGU:
    AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, BVC1, BNC1, DHV1, CSV1, DFV1, WFV1, BOV1, AXV1, CPV1, GAC1
    Courses Left to complete: B.S. IT,Security.
    QBT1, HHT1, INC1, INT1, CLC1, RIT1, DJV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, CTV1, CVV1, CJV1, CUV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, MGC1, RGT1

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm trying to update the table of contents on Technical Writing and it seems to be inaccurate with the page numbers. I'm afraid of manually doing it but if I submit it as a PDF, it's not like they'll be able to click the hyperlink (hopefully).
    Reseven, congrats on your first pass! icon_thumright.gif

vanquish23, the same thing has happened to a few people - there seems to be some kind of disconnect in the Enrollment Department - good luck on your course of study!
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TFT2 is done, task 4 is pretty rough. May hold off on VUT2 for right now even though I have task 1 completed. Going to jump directly to FNV2 and knock out the CEH, could use the resume boost.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Technical Writing submitted!!icon_thumright.gif
    Ready to get this degree behind me.

Technical Writing complete, no revisions necessary.icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    Guys,

Quick question. Is the Capstone just simply putting your Technical Writing into past tense format? Basically how the project turned out?

WGU -

Reseven wrote: »

Congrats on the pass!! I learned the hard way as well.

WGU -

• nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Still waiting for my mentor to contact me to start on the 1st, I know it's early but I am ready!
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Still waiting for my mentor to contact me to start on the 1st, I know it's early but I am ready!

Welcome to WGU!! Best of luck in your studies!

WGU -

Another question....

If I start a new term only needing 3 units to graduate, is the tuition for that term pro-rated?

WGU -

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another question....

If I start a new term only needing 3 units to graduate, is the tuition for that term pro-rated?

My enrollment counselor said no. Others here have said yes.

The whole lack of consistency with WGU's policies has me worried as I am scheduled to begin on the 1st.
    DPG wrote: »

The whole lack of consistency with WGU's policies has me worried as I am scheduled to begin on the 1st.

I have also read or heard that they can extend a term by a month in that kind of instance
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another question....

Yes, the tuition is pro-rated for you, though I'd check with them about a 1-month extension.

The problem is the enrollment counselors. I'm not saying mentors and others are perfect, but it would be insulting to mentors and other faculty to be labeled the same as the enrollment counselors.

Talk to your mentor. If it's under 12credits, it is pro-rated at I believe like $255 a credit hour. Something like that.

I was hoping it was a time thing with the prorate versus a credit number since I'm going to have 21 left to complete, but I know I can do them in 1 month...So, I have to pay for an entire 6 months and only really utilize like 1month. Well, now that I know it's not prorated for my case I'm not going to kill myself and finish up in 1-2 months instead.
    kgb - interestingly, if you withdraw from the college before 60% of the term has passed, you are eligible for a refund:

"The percentage calculation for eligibility for refund is the number of calendar days enrolled (start of term to withdrawal date) divided by the total number of calendar days in the term. If the percentage is less than or equal to 60% of the term, the student is eligible for a refund. The refund amount is calculated by multiplying the tuition by the percentage of days remaining in the term after the withdrawal date, assuming the student has completed 60% or less of the term." - excerpted from the WGU Student Handbook.

So, failure is rewarded while success is penalized..
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    kgb - interestingly, if you withdraw from the college before 60% of the term has passed, you are eligible for a refund:

"The percentage calculation for eligibility for refund is the number of calendar days enrolled (start of term to withdrawal date) divided by the total number of calendar days in the term. If the percentage is less than or equal to 60% of the term, the student is eligible for a refund. The refund amount is calculated by multiplying the tuition by the percentage of days remaining in the term after the withdrawal date, assuming the student has completed 60% or less of the term." - excerpted from the WGU Student Handbook.

So, failure is rewarded while success is penalized..

That is interesting. They state 12credit hours are all that's needed for a term though. So, if you completed at least 7 credits (60% of 12) you wouldn't be eligible for the refund. (I might be reading that wrong... probably am) The more I think about it, I think that's a nice policy. It pretty much covers someone if they run into some really bad times and can't do any school work.

From what I've been told, all of us here on these forums that accelerate pretty hard are not the norm. The majority of the students don't accelerate that much. It could seem like I'm getting the short end of the stick, but I'm part of the few that are an extreme case. But, when you think about the majority of the students, my issue will never be an issue for them.

I've wrestled with my situation, because you are allowed to roll into another degree (BS or MS) with your remaining time. They don't offer any MS degree that would benefit me though. I shouldn't look at it as I'm paying for 6 months and only using 1-2. Rather I should say, I'm graduating early and now I can move forward with my goals.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just submitted SBT1/Technical Writing. My proposal ended up being 34 pages. Hopefully, I don't get it back. My term ends Nov 30. My mentor is kind of stressing me out, since I have only DFV1 and Capstone left. And I'm glad you guys are discussing refunds.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Yes, the tuition is pro-rated for you, though I'd check with them about a 1-month extension.

Thanks! I am eligible for Pell Grant, so I think it may be in my best financial interest to start the new term. 255 x 3 = 785.

2750 - 785 = 1965 in my pocket to be used for educational expenses. icon_thumright.gif

I just finished my Capstone so I will get it submitted this week.

WGU -

Just submitted SBT1/Technical Writing. My proposal ended up being 34 pages. Hopefully, I don't get it back. My term ends Nov 30. My mentor is kind of stressing me out, since I have only DFV1 and Capstone left. And I'm glad you guys are discussing refunds.

Hopefully you'll pass it with no revisions necessary. 34 pages is hefty. Mine was only 19 :D

WGU -

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Working on Decision Analysis and Strategic Management at the sametime. Once those are completed I have Leadership, Finance, and then the Capstone. (MBA)
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »

Can you post a link to the policy that covers this?
    Starting EWB tomorrow (Mon, Oct 15) - haven't been this excited about school since bell-bottoms were in fashion!

Good luck to nosoup4u and 101010 who both start on Nov 1 as well! icon_thumright.gif
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Starting EWB tomorrow (Mon, Oct 15) - haven't been this excited about school since bell-bottoms were in fashion!

Good luck to nosoup4u and 101010 who both start on Nov 1 as well! icon_thumright.gif

Awesome man, good luck!

How did you get them to open it up so early?
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    How did you get them to open it up so early?

EWB is supposed to open up on the 15th of the month prior to entry.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you post a link to the policy that covers this?

I will look for one. My information is based on what my mentor and a person in finance told me.
    EWB is now open just as they said at WGU - on the 15th of the month prior to entry.