Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The pre-assessment is similar to the exam. I took it 3 times before the real thing. Anything in bold, key terms, or defined is good to know.

I wrote a long post in the Humanities forum for the paper and powerpoint project, too.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch sir^
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm in the final stretch. I got a 4.0/4.0 on my Tech Writing and a 3.92/4 on Capstone (I half arssed this one). I just have to pass DFV1. The only issue I'm running into besides getting the motivation to delve into web design again is finding a testing center. The exam is through Certiport and there aren't too many testing centers in the Tampa area. My mentor is kind of stressing me out about taking the exam soon, so if I fail I have enough time for a second attempt.
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'm in the final stretch. I got a 4.0/4.0 on my Tech Writing and a 3.92/4 on Capstone (I half arssed this one). I just have to pass DFV1. The only issue I'm running into besides getting the motivation to delve into web design again is finding a testing center. The exam is through Certiport and there aren't too many testing centers in the Tampa area. My mentor is kind of stressing me out about taking the exam soon, so if I fail I have enough time for a second attempt.

Get MeasureUp for DFV1. If you know the information and pass their exams, I don't see how you could fail.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Passed my Capstone today as well.

Awesome!! Congrats!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    Jack2 wrote: »
    All congrats on passing the capstones! I turned in my TEch paper on Wednesday morning and still no response! How long did your taskstream take? did they still do a "turnitin" score?

Took about 2 days for mine to come back.

WGU -

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    finished my last test for my bs:it from wgu

im am soo glad, i think the hardest part of this was the vendor tests
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Congrats Demon!
    finished my last test for my bs:it from wgu

im am soo glad, i think the hardest part of this was the vendor tests

Congrats!!
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on the pass!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For those that had to take WFV1(IT Fundamentals I), how long did it take you to go through the course and then pass the exam?
    The course has a ton of information since it is for a composite of 3 exams.
    Awesome, congrats!!icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

DPG wrote: »
    For those that had to take WFV1(IT Fundamentals I), how long did it take you to go through the course and then pass the exam?
    The course has a ton of information since it is for a composite of 3 exams.

7-10 days

It covers a wide range, but never gets into any kind of depth. The materials provided are excellent in my mind and prepare you for the exam.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    First time back in this thread in a long while. Congrats to everyone making progress and good luck to those getting ready to start.

I completed the Bachelor program (security emphasis) earlier this year. Had pretty good progress (72 CU's completed first term, finished entirely in less than 3 terms), then started the MSISA program 6 months ago. I made an observation a long time ago in this thread that people often compare themselves unrealistically to those that are making huge progress. They read about people completing 60+ CU's in a term and think, "man I must suck". My observation at the time was simply that the success stories are always going to be overrepresented simply because people do not, for the most part, post failure stories.

That said, time to communicate a nice, resounding failure story. I finished the last term at 50% SAP. What happened? Well, the first part of the term, I was slow out of the gate. I attribute that to residual burn out from finishing the last program, but the truth is that I just wasn't motivated at all. Then, shortly into the term, my daughter was born. That's been a great experience, but has taken a large amount of time away from my studies. Not a big deal, life goes on--still plenty of time to make the term a success, if not accelerate the way I was hoping for.

Well, long story short, a couple of months ago, I found out that I had two family members diagnosed with lung cancer. One of them, my brother, had one of the most aggressive forms of the disease it is possible to have. He passed a couple of weeks ago. I spent pretty much a month straight at his bedside and helping take care of him. I'm very thankful for that time we had to talk, catch up, and basically renew that relationship that we both had neglected since becoming adults. That said, it was very, very hard to watch someone in that kind of pain, especially when it's someone you love.

I guess the reason that I'm posting this is twofold: First, life is more than CU's and degrees and whatever plans we have going on at the moment. Take a look at your priorities right now. If you don't have time right now in your life to spend quality time with the people you love, you need to re-evaluate. If I could go back, of course I would have spent more time with my brother before he was sick. There are no do-overs, though. We get one shot at this thing, so don't leave any regrets behind.

The other reason I'm posting is to show that sometimes things don't always work out. You won't always get massive CU's done in a term, and you might not always be able to hang on to that perfect SAP record you've had since you started. That's ok. Just keep in mind that you're not the only one and that you don't have to feel like a failure. That perspective is important to balance the crazy high expectations many of us set for ourselves vs the reality of life.

Anyway, not fishing for sympathy and not trying to preach, just trying to communicate something I've said before on these boards--make the most of those relationships in your life and don't take them for granted. Good luck to all.
    I am sorry for your loss. Excellent post, puts things in perspective.
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry for your loss as well. Great post.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Very sorry for your loss and thanks very much for the post.
    Capstone just passed! :)

Just have 2 classes left:

- KFT1 Task 4
    - ANV1
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »

- KFT1 Task 4
    - ANV1

congrats, all i can say about task 4 is try netbeans/mysql in linux it seamed to work better (for me) than windows
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    congrats, all i can say about task 4 is try netbeans/mysql in linux it seamed to work better (for me) than windows

Thanks!

I don't use linux so I think I'm going to stick with windows, hehe. I've already made some good progress on it. I went ahead and did a GUI for it. Definitely learning a lot. Want to try to finish this week. Won't be a tragedy if I don't though. I just would like to be totally finished with my degree by Thanksgiving..would be a nice 4 day weekend of total relaxation...These last 6.5months have been brutal.
    I requested the voucher for WFV1 on Friday morning but still nothing yet. I don't know why it takes so long considering that I have to schedule the 3rd party exams myself.
    I normally get my vouchers in 2-3 days and with today being a holiday, you'll probably get it tomorrow.
    kgb wrote: »

- KFT1 Task 4
    - ANV1

Very nice, congrats!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent1, thank you for posting that. My term has been unremarkable by some standard. Normally, I'm pretty voracious and motivated but when I started my term in June my daughter was admitted to the hospital due to heart failure. Since then, she's been waiting for a heart transplant. I also transferred to a new base and have been coming to grips with my new job.

I only have one more class left before my term is done at the end of this month. Honestly, I'm ready for it to be over, as it's really cut into my family time. And I'd much rather be spending it with my precious daughter.

I'm sorry for your loss and appreciate your honesty. Family comes first. And as long as there is a tomorrow, there's an opportunity for you to finish that masters.
    I scheduled the WFV1(IT Fundamentals I) exam for tomorrow.
    Good luck. Don't sweat it, it's not hard.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DPG - good luck on the WFV1, it should be a breeze for you. I have AGC1 and BVC1 one scheduled for this Friday afternoon.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm back from a semi-long hiatus. I find myself a little behind in my studies. Tasks 1 and 3, for VUT2, were completed a little while ago. I just submitted Task 2 this morning. Since I spent a lot of time on it, I'm confident this course will be marked as completed in short order.

That still leaves me with LOT2 and my retake for COV2 to be completed by the end of the month. I've made some progression in the study material for LOT2. I'm looking to complete Tasks 1 and 2 by this weekend and Task 3 by next weekend. I'm not worried about LOT2.

COV2 is a different story. I put in the time for this exam, but came up short by 5 points the first time out. My original plan was to retake the exam a couple of weeks from the original, leaving me with a 3rd try should I fail again. However, that idea quickly fell by the wayside. As a result, my second attempt is scheduled for next week. The sim and simlet questions doomed me on my first try. Unfortunately, they are still giving me grief on the practice exams. I may push the exam past the 25th of this month and have my mentor request the result be added to this term. That will give me a little room to still concentrate on one course at a time. I'm sure learning the hard way about the lack of forgiveness (regarding time) for failing an exam...

I have to research how anything less than 100% SAP affects my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Here's to hoping I don't have to worry about that in the end.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    First time back in this thread in a long while. Congrats to everyone making progress and good luck to those getting ready to start.

I completed the Bachelor program (security emphasis) earlier this year. Had pretty good progress (72 CU's completed first term, finished entirely in less than 3 terms), then started the MSISA program 6 months ago. I made an observation a long time ago in this thread that people often compare themselves unrealistically to those that are making huge progress. They read about people completing 60+ CU's in a term and think, "man I must suck". My observation at the time was simply that the success stories are always going to be overrepresented simply because people do not, for the most part, post failure stories.

That said, time to communicate a nice, resounding failure story. I finished the last term at 50% SAP. What happened? Well, the first part of the term, I was slow out of the gate. I attribute that to residual burn out from finishing the last program, but the truth is that I just wasn't motivated at all. Then, shortly into the term, my daughter was born. That's been a great experience, but has taken a large amount of time away from my studies. Not a big deal, life goes on--still plenty of time to make the term a success, if not accelerate the way I was hoping for.

Well, long story short, a couple of months ago, I found out that I had two family members diagnosed with lung cancer. One of them, my brother, had one of the most aggressive forms of the disease it is possible to have. He passed a couple of weeks ago. I spent pretty much a month straight at his bedside and helping take care of him. I'm very thankful for that time we had to talk, catch up, and basically renew that relationship that we both had neglected since becoming adults. That said, it was very, very hard to watch someone in that kind of pain, especially when it's someone you love.

I guess the reason that I'm posting this is twofold: First, life is more than CU's and degrees and whatever plans we have going on at the moment. Take a look at your priorities right now. If you don't have time right now in your life to spend quality time with the people you love, you need to re-evaluate. If I could go back, of course I would have spent more time with my brother before he was sick. There are no do-overs, though. We get one shot at this thing, so don't leave any regrets behind.

The other reason I'm posting is to show that sometimes things don't always work out. You won't always get massive CU's done in a term, and you might not always be able to hang on to that perfect SAP record you've had since you started. That's ok. Just keep in mind that you're not the only one and that you don't have to feel like a failure. That perspective is important to balance the crazy high expectations many of us set for ourselves vs the reality of life.

Anyway, not fishing for sympathy and not trying to preach, just trying to communicate something I've said before on these boards--make the most of those relationships in your life and don't take them for granted. Good luck to all.

I'm at 50% SAP right now, with my term ending this month. So, I'm crunching to finish at 100%. Time hasn't been kind to my school schedule. Putting in work hours is a given. However, I've had to spend more time than usual on family problems. With that said, I didn't go through what you went through during my first term at WGU.

First and foremost, I'm truly sorry for your loss. I don't even want to imagine the pain of losing a brother. I have 3 siblings of my own: 2 younger brothers and a younger sister. Many problems have occurred for them during my first term. As a result, more of my time than usual has gone to helping them out however I can. With that said, they're still alive and well. If something were to happen to them or my mom, then school would be the last thing on my mind.

It's good to know your experiences this past term weren't all bad. Just as losing life is a sad occasion, bringing life is a joyous one. Congratulations on the arrival of your baby daughter!
    icon_cheers.gif

With all that happened, you were still able to make progress toward your master's degree. As far as I'm concerned, your last term was NOT a failure!
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • TooflesscrackheadTooflesscrackhead Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting the B.S.I.T. program next month and I'd like a referral if anyone wants to help. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks