Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you to Demonfurbie and Psoasman for giving me advice on how to tackle the program. It is much appreciated.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    well wgu does indeed work

less than a month after finishing i have an interview for a high level IT job.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well wgu does indeed work

less than a month after finishing i have an interview for a high level IT job.

Nice!

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I finished up my requirements last week, just waiting for my BIV1 score to post. Meanwhile, my mentor supplied me with the graduation application, and that supposedly takes 5-10 business days. So glad this is finally wrapping up - this was way better than a normal college experience, but it's nice to have the no degree monkey off my back.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • andrala11222andrala11222 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How many of you have found employment with your degree? especially for those of you that were not actually working in the field?
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    I have been provissionally accepted as a student in the BS:IT program!!! I am targeting a Jan1 date. I have to say that i was expecting the transcript review to take longer but it took about 3 days to go through each of my three transcripts. I did the math and 48/110 CUs qualified through the transfers. I am really excited to get started on this.

So i wanted to give a quick update that i just had my intake interview and am officially starting on Jan1 providing my financial aide comes back with something i can manage. I also applied for the new IT scholarship and am hoping to get that situated by end of next week as i had my interview with them this morning.

I am goign to try to update my signature as many of you have with my class stats. :)
  • cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I figured that I'd finally sign up and join the site after reading through the last 213 pages. I ended up finding this forum just days after filling out the enrollment forms on WGU's site and I missed out on the chance to get the referal request, but after seeing the wealth of information, depth of community support, I am really looking forward to getting started in January. The only thing I haven't liked thus far though is that my enrollment counciler always seems to be in a rush and isn't really familiar with how the classes work. But aside from that I just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys are providing and that I hope to be contributing soon. Ill check back in after my intake interview tomorrow morning. icon_thumright.gif
    cbolar wrote: »
    I figured that I'd finally sign up and join the site after reading through the last 213 pages. I ended up finding this forum just days after filling out the enrollment forms on WGU's site and I missed out on the chance to get the referal request, but after seeing the wealth of information, depth of community support, I am really looking forward to getting started in January. The only thing I haven't liked thus far though is that my enrollment counciler always seems to be in a rush and isn't really familiar with how the classes work. But aside from that I just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys are providing and that I hope to be contributing soon. Ill check back in after my intake interview tomorrow morning. icon_thumright.gif

wow i havent even read it all, welcome to the fray
  • phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    I have the best mentor of all time and would like to thank her here for keeping me on track.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got my transfer evaluation back a short while ago, and I got a lot more transferred in than I was expecting! 83 CU's to graduate, I think I can do that in two terms, barring any setbacks.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats @ arwes! - good to see another TE veteran taking the plunge. icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Passed AXV1 (CompTIA A+ Essentials) today! I also have CPV1 scheduled for early next week.

Next up will be BNC1 (Organizational Behavior and Leadership) which looks BORING!
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed Project+ myself today. Down to a pair of tests and my capstone to finish in a single term.

DPG: Take the pre-assessment. If you get more than 55-60% I would say go ahead and schedule the test. BNC1 and MGC1 are both pretty easy.
    They changed the cut score to 61% as of tomorrow and my mentor wants to see 71% on the pre-assessment before referring me to the exam.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah, I didn't know they had changed it. Either way, 71 on the pre-assessment shouldn't be much trouble for you.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DPG wrote: »
    They changed the cut score to 61% as of tomorrow and my mentor wants to see 71% on the pre-assessment before referring me to the exam.

Hmm. Up from 51%. Either way, it's not a hard exam. I read through the book. I'd advise starting at chapter 1 and work your way through. They way they have you skip around in the COS didn't work for me. Some material that is referenced, may not be in assigned chapter reading. The coaching report should give you a good idea of where to focus. Once you are at 80% on all sections you are good to go. You can have your mentor unlock the other pre-assessments early, so you can take them when you choose.
    is any one here in the masters of networking

it looks like wgu finally got a decent book for SJT2 - Advanced Networking
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    is any one here in the masters of networking

it looks like wgu finally got a decent book for SJT2 - Advanced Networking
    Have they made changes to the program? I remember one TE complaining about the program having very limited technical material and being more risk/ORA.
  • CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the Course Mastery required? Doesn't seem that difficult, and I'm flying by through a lot of them.
    Have they made changes to the program? I remember one TE complaining about the program having very limited technical material and being more risk/ORA.

not sure if it has changed but the books is more of a pleasant read than others that ive dealt with at wgu
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Has anyone taken a cert exam in the last 2 weeks and have had it posted complete on their degree plan?

I've been waiting since Nov. 19th to have my final exam posted...I received the darn official certification from Oracle already... I've submitted it twice now, sent emails, no responses.

I can't graduate until it's posted. Needless to say I'm extremely irritated.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    Same issue here. My mentor said this is happening to everyone. I think it is due to them not being able to keep up with growth.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Yes avg of about 2 weeks for cert related classes to post.
    see what ya need to do is cc it to the real persons email not just scores
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I don't know who the real person is. All 17 of my previous exams were inputted within hours to max of a 1day. The automated email response says 5 days. If it's indeed taking longer, they need to stop being lazy and update it and communicate.

I've always just emailed Scores and cc'ed my mentor.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    i always cced my mentor, coarse mentor, there bosses, and scores
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OK. My first term ended this past Friday.

The good news: I passed LOT2 just in the nick of time.
    The bad news: I failed ICND1 by 5 points... again!

I achieved 75% SAP for my first term. Obviously, I wanted 100%; but it is what it is. I will progress as originally planned and revisit COV2 later.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone have efficiency advice for BVC1? I can't seem to pull up any good results.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Does anyone have efficiency advice for BVC1? I can't seem to pull up any good results.

It seems like the book and online study it provides is pretty good
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    It seems like the book and online study it provides is pretty good
    Thank you sir!
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)