Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I know this program has been discussed on this forum before. I am also aware that it is a new program at WGU. I am considering signing up for and completing this program and would like to get some feedback from students in the program regarding their experiences and thoughts regarding the program.

I already hold an MBA with a concentration in Information Assurance & Security Management from an AACSB-accrediated university and have earned the CNSS 4011 & 4012 certifications since my MBA program is also a DHS Center of Academic Excellence. I plan on getting a Doctorate in Business Administration in about 3-5 years after I build up the required management experience to get into a good and repuatable DBA program. In the meantime, while my wife is working on her MBA, I'd like to get a second Masters degree in the IT Management to build up my resume / vita as a means to open more doors in my career in IT Mangement and make me a more marketable adjunct professor.

WGU's MS ITNM progam looks very appealing for several reasons. It is inexpensive, I can easily complete it in less than one year, and WGU is regionally accrediated. I understand the degree won't hold as much weight as a B&M degree like my current MBA - but I feel it is worth the small $6k investment to add another Masters degree to my resume to differentiate me from future competitors as I look to move up in my career.

Any comments or information on WGU's new program would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    im in that program right now, i wouldnt say its easy but id say its about middle of the rode as far as difficulity

however in your situation id say skip it and get a few higher end certs or just move on to phd, it wont add that much value on return for you
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my tech paper back today. Passed! 3 classes left to go. Should have Ket1 done in the next week or two...hopefully.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KET1 task 2 completed so that class is in the books.

On to KFT1...

Actually looked at the UML stuff over the weekend. Used VP for practice. Interesting stuff. Not looking forward to task 4 at all.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Passed the BNC1 pre-assessment with a 76. Debating on whether I should go the webcam route or test center for the exam.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With a 76, you should be good to go. The hardest thing for me with the webcam was sitting still. I tend to talk to myself when working out problems and that's a big no-no with Kyterion.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @DPG - you're doing great! Watch the webinars in the BNC1 Learning community and study these flashcards: BNC1 Organization Behavior and Leadership flashcards | Quizlet
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • cbolarcbolar Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I finally finished my intake interview. I am more or less counting the days until I can start on January first! I am somewhat anxious so I have already started studying just to get started. :)
    @cbolar - that's the right attitude - you'll hit the ground running come January, for sure! icon_thumright.gif
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I just want to say that is awesome. You are doing fantastic. Congrats! 28 CUs already. You sir are not messing around. :)
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Finally packed away my webcam - the only objective assessments I have left are with Prometric/Pearson Vue. Online proctoring was an interesting experience, to say the least, decorated with choice expletives aimed at Kryterion, WGU, Clear Wireless and the Ogdru Jahad. Not sure what the role the latter played in my trials and tribulations, but I added them for good measure.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
    @Krones - thanks - I did all the easy stuff first - going to slow down now with Project+ and the JavaScript exam
    @Krones - thanks - I did all the easy stuff first - going to slow down now with Project+ and the JavaScript exam

for when ya start project+

Read-Only Flashcard Set
    Thanks for that info @demonfurbie! icon_thumright.gif

Any tips for the JavaScript course?
    Thanks for that info @demonfurbie! icon_thumright.gif

Any tips for the JavaScript course?

CIW JavaScript Study Notes and Tutorial
    Thanks @demonfurbie. Someone gave me this earlier, which might be useful to folks doing the JavaScript course: List of Videos for Beginner JavaScript
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Has anyone else noticed the huge wait on task stream assignments being graded and grades from proctored tests taking for ever now? I've been waiting on a few assignments for two weeks now and my stupid mta exam from last month still showing scheduled.

It's confusing my mentor as she thinks they are still open classes.... just venting.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, everything seems to be very slow right now. Maybe this is being caused by Ivanjam blowing through all of his classes. icon_lol.gif
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I was actually coming here to post that it's taking forever for my failed cert score to update so I can get another voucher. My mentor said it's been taking 10 to 14 days.... weak
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    DPG wrote: »
    Maybe this is being caused by Ivanjam blowing through all of his classes. icon_lol.gif

Hey, hey, hey! @DPG - nosoup4u is doing the same thing!
    I submitted KET1 task 2 on Sunday night, received the grade on Tuesday. Not bad.

IWT1 was a different story. Took almost a week to get the grade for those 2 tasks.
    I am taking a break from Taskscream after INT1 - I will now try to knock out the CIW, MTA and CompTIA material - after that, I'll return to the eternal clicking on "Scores/Results".
    I am taking a break from Taskscream after INT1 - I will now try to knock out the CIW, MTA and CompTIA material - after that, I'll return to the eternal clicking on "Scores/Results".

CIW stuff is pretty easy. You'll knock those out in no time.
    Reseven wrote: »
    CIW stuff is pretty easy. You'll knock those out in no time.

I hope so - the ones I have done previously seemed relatively straightforward, but I am less familiar with JavaScript and databases. On a side note, I recently filled out a job questionnaire that asked about "Certified Internet Webmaster" qualifications and, of course, I selected "No" only to find out that they were talking about CIW.
  • sethmosethmo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be finishing up my Associates of Arts at my CC next fall. I studied for 1 year at Iowa State University for Computer Engineering, 1 year at Vatterott College(tech, not accredited), and "had" my CCNA. My CCNA expired in April of this year, will they still accept it for credits? I will be enrolling at WGU for BS:IT or BS:IT Software for the January '14 term if I finish out my Associates. I have a few questions about my current schooling and transfer cert credits:

1) Are there any other recommended certifications for either of those degrees I should get beforehand? I was an IT Consultant for a local IT Firm for ~7 years, and currently hold a Sys Admin title at a foundry for the past 3 years. I never took any of the CompTia certs, but could probably pass them pretty easily if they would count for credits.

2) Would it make sense to get my Associates first or enroll sooner? After the Spring '13 semester at my CC, I am left with 3 distributed credits and 14 elective credits remaining for my Associates, so I have completed the majority of my Gen Ed classes. If I continue with my Associates, I will be taking Pre-Calc in the summer along with an elective, and Calc I along with another elective in the Fall.
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    So, I got my official degree in the mail yesterday. Very cool, 19years in the making...

However, to be honest I was a little disappointed. I would've thought they would've had it in some kind of binder, like when I received my High School Diploma...

I don't want to "frame" it, but I don't want to throw it in a drawer either... Any suggestions?
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    kgb wrote: »
    I don't want to "frame" it, but I don't want to throw it in a drawer either... Any suggestions?

you could put in in a scrap book/portfoilio

ive seen that done with alot of printed certs/degrees
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    The diploma cover is much cheaper then a frame but still costs some money.

WGU Alumni Community - Alumni
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have any of you tried the proctoring with Windows 8? I'm laptop shopping, and the one I like has Windows 8 preloaded. I'm pretty sure it comes with downgrade rights, but I'm just curious if any of you have tried it with WGU yet. My counselor told me they only officially support Windows 7 & OS X Lion at the moment.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That camera pisses me off. I had the guy shut mine down like 4 times because of the angle, every time. I'm never taking a test with that webcam again, unless I need to get a test out of the way ASAP.

On a good note, I have a great mentor. He really pushed for my second attempt before my jobs deadline for college reimbursement on the 17th. Took me roughly 6 days from the day I submitted my first attempt at the 70-680 exam to get everything handed in and another test scheduled.
  • geekoncallgeekoncall Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Need advise from seniors. I got my evaluation of previous credits, I got 58 transferred towards Bachelor of Business. By looking at evaluation, I need to take following courses:

LAE1: Language and Communication: Essay
    QBT1: Language and Communication: Research
    LUT1: Language and Communication: Presentation
    IWC1: Literature, Arts and the Humanities
    IWT1: Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation
    INT1: Integrated Natural Sciences Applications
    CLC1: Reasoning and Problem Solving
    LWC1: Fundamentals of Business Law and Ethics
    BNC1: Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    EGC1: Fundamentals of Economics, Global Business and Quantitative Analysis
    TPV1: Project Management

I am wondering if its possible to complete all above courses in one term (6 months) ? I don't have much writing experience plus I am away from studied since period of 6 years but I have full time for my degree and want to complete as soon as I can. Any advise , what is level of difficulty for above remaining courses?
    WGU BSB-IT Progress: Date Started: 2013/03/01
    Working ON: Completed Bachelor :). Thinking for MBA
    Project+, CIW Web Associate, MTA Network Associate
    Transferred/Completed: AGC1, BBC1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, INC1, BVC1, LIT1, EST1, FNT1, MKC1, MKT1, MGC1, QAT1, EGT1,LAE1, LUT1, BNC1, LWC1, INT1, QBT1, EGC1, FNC1, CLC1, IWC1, RWT1, BDC1, IWT1, TPV1, CWV1, WFV1, QFT1, PFIT