Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just submitted KFT1 Task 3, now for the wait...
    Task 4 is coming along slowly....
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    you can do it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Just submitted KFT1 Task 3, now for the wait...
    Task 4 is coming along slowly....

Are you creating a GUI or sticking to command line? I personally found creating a GUI to be easier. I think it was a little more work, but I enjoyed going that little "extra" mile for the assignment.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    I am going to try the GUI. I've been using:

YouTube videos

Using the Java For Beginners - Contents Page site - this one really helps with the tutorials on using a GUI with a database. I followed the tutorial and was able to make - for me at least - a pretty nice program.
    Java APIs

Google for stuff I don't understand.

I started out with all my boxes, fields, etc on one screen, but it's too crowded, so I created my main GUI with a JFrame and am playing with a JDialog box for the other part. The buttons are going to take some time, but I am only 1 month into my 3rd term, so I have plenty of time.....

EDIT: just got Task 2 back, so it's 2 tasks left until graduation!
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @kgb - after completing KET1 and KFT1, do you think it makes any sense pursuing the Oracle Java certification, while doing other WGU (non-software track) stuff? I just don't like the idea of spending so much time on one course and not having a cert to show for it.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    i go the command line stuff done, then i tried to do a gui and said screw it if they will take command they will get command and moved on ... mostly because i hate java and was burnt out
  • Options
    @Ivan - you could save all your programs you create in a portfolio to show to employers. I've got all mine saved.

@DF - I've somehow got a second wind going here...probably due to finally being almost done. I wish I had started with the B.S. in IT at first, I would have been done by Thanksgiving and saved a 3rd term.
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @kgb - after completing KET1 and KFT1, do you think it makes any sense pursuing the Oracle Java certification, while doing other WGU (non-software track) stuff? I just don't like the idea of spending so much time on one course and not having a cert to show for it.

My opinion is the $300 price tag for the exam isn't worth it unless you are planning on doing development. I don't think those 2 courses alone prepared me for the exam. I had previous java experience and then spent quite some time doing tutorials/etc before I even started WGU. Disclaimer: I didn't go through the learning resources though, I leaned on my previous knowledge and just really worked through the assignments.

The senior developers/directors of engineering that I personally know put very little value on programming certifications. I was planning on getting the Java Certification myself, before I discovered WGU because I figured having that would look better than having no degree and no certification. With the degree now in hand, I'm not concerned with the certification. However, the Java certification is one of the handful of the 17certifications I got during my time at WGU that will actually be listed on my resume.

Just my 2cents, but if I was doing networking/security I think I'd focus my energy on scripting languages(Python seems to be big in that arena) than Java.

TLDR: I'd just get through the KET/KFT as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »

TLDR: I'd just get through the KET/KFT as quickly as possible.

yep, hince the reason if i didnt have to have a gui i didnt
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    ...I wish I had started with the B.S. in IT at first, I would have been done by Thanksgiving and saved a 3rd term.

That darn hindsight attacks again!

I totally relate. I finished 3 weeks into my 2nd term to complete my degree... If I had planned on from the beginning to finish in 1 term, I probably could have since I took several weeks off during my 1st term... But, flip-side is I put enough pressure on myself to just keep forward progress that it might have been too much pressure if that was my original goal.
  • Options
    @kgb - thanks for the advice re: KET/KFT - I won't spend any more time on those 2 than necessary! :)
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »
    That darn hindsight attacks again!

I totally relate. I finished 3 weeks into my 2nd term to complete my degree... If I had planned on from the beginning to finish in 1 term, I probably could have since I took several weeks off during my 1st term... But, flip-side is I put enough pressure on myself to just keep forward progress that it might have been too much pressure if that was my original goal.

I know! I originally chose the Network Admin emphasis, as that lines up with I currently do. I hit a brick wall with the 642 exam, so I switched to the regular IT degree. While Java has turned out to be hard for me to learn, I do see how it's useful and there is a certain amount of satisfaction to seeing the code run cleanly after spending weeks on it.

I am hoping to be done with Task 4 by the end of the month...we'll see though. That UML stuff looks like it won't be much fun.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, as soon as I made my last post here, I quickly realized that it would not be possible for me to continue the MSISA program. My situation at home was getting worse, which would become a problem for me. Mind you, I live with my mother who became unemployed almost exactly last year, but because of the lack of communication within my immediate family, I just found out two weeks ago that we're going to lose this apartment we live in for about 20 years. I'm not the head of the household, but none of us have a stable source of income to keep this place afloat. Although, I was pretty relieved that we're finally getting out of this horrible neighborhood. It has gotten worse when I moved back home from college about a year and half ago. Now the hard part is that I would have to find another place to stay until I can get back on my feet. I have been unemployed since last March.

Financial aid was also the reason I had to put school on hold. It seemed to me that the Financial Aid office was having a hard time repackaging my financial aid package on time, because I just officially completed my undergrad last November. I figured a new financial aid year would make things easier for us, so I would have to wait until July.

I'm also expecting a surgery on the 28th, which is the reason why I have been unemployed so long. I thought enrolling in WGU would be a good idea to cover the unemployment gap on my resume while I wait. I'm looking forward to become employed again soon.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Passes my Capstone last night with a 3.84/4!! Happy to have that out of the way!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
  • Options
    Richards90Richards90 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed my first class with WGU and dang does it feel good. BNC1 is complete now, must say that sitting in front of a camera knowing someone is watching got me a little nervous.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It is a little nerve wracking, always was worried I would do something embarrassing.
    Grats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    @hiddenknight821 - sorry to hear about the health situation and your overall job/home situation. I am glad you are getting surgery soon - good luck on the 28th! You have made impressive progress on the education and certification front in spite of your problems, so I am confident that you have a bright future ahead of you. 2013 will be your year - keep your head up high, my brother! icon_thumright.gif

@Jack2 - congrats on knocking out that Capstone - good luck on the remaining courses!

@Richards90 - congrats on passing your first course at WGU! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Interesting to see Hypntick, nosoup4u and myself posting together on the same page. Hypntick was the one who recommended my WGU mentor to me and I recommended her to nosoup4u - like 3 generations. Isn't she great?
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Oh wow that's cool, she's awesome!

Dang Ivan your not making it easy for me to keep up with you. Here in a bit I'll only have hard classes, maybe I should have went straight BSIT.
  • Options
    Just got KFT1 task 3 back. That just leaves Task 4 and I am done!

btw: for those of you who've done KFT1, did you document every functional requirement for the UML Case diagrams? Reason I am asking is I looked through Cynthia Lang's powerpoint and she listed class creation, subclasses created, database creation via script, toString, and calcCost() With the requirements for task 4, that would be over 20 requirements.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I made one diagram for each of the functions (add, delete, query, update, calculateTuition), a single sequence diagram, and a class diagram. So 7 diagrams total and my test plan was 12 pages long. I got a 4 on every section of my project except one, where I got a 3 for using console output instead of a GUI--using one isn't specified in the requirements but seems to be required for a 4 on that section (note: not trying to brag, just pointing out that it's possible to get a good score in this class without overexerting oneself).

The UML stuff was really daunting to me at first but in hindsight it was actually quite easy. Don't kill yourself trying to figure out what they're asking for like I did.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the requirements.
  • Options
    @nosoup4u - lol, I am the one trying to keep up with you and I have to slow down now as I am not too familiar with the courses left to complete. But I agree, the generic BS-IT is, BY FAR, the easiest of the tracks.

I thought the BOV1 was going to be difficult but it was just watered-down C. You see, I come from the FORTRAN 77 and C (no pluses, just straight K&R - R.I.P., Dennis!) generation.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    If you download the visual paradigm program and "activate?" it to the standard edition you can reverse engineer from your code to create the class diagram. I only had UML of update, delete, query and add users. For the sequence diagrams you can just drag the functions to create them in the visual paradigm program.

I had 13 pages in one document for my test cases (it fills up fast) 22 features I tested. My test plan and diagrams document was 19 pages but that was mostly the sequence diagrams.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Oh wow that's cool, she's awesome!

She is pretty awesome actually. If you guys go into the MS:ISA program, i've got a mentor I can suggest for that as well. :D
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    DACP_timDACP_tim Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Found out last night WGU didn't get my transcripts yet from my local community college and military training. Bummer. I will say this enrollment counselor needs to take better notes because every time I talk to her I need to spend the first 10 minutes retelling who I am and what experience (school/work) I have. Kind of frustrating after a few times. Ah well. Looks like March 1st will be my start date. What should I do with the 2 month down time? I've been in school for the last 18 months so I'm kind of at a loss haha.
    Army OIF Vet - SysAd for the Air Guard - WGU BS-IT Software starting 2/1/2013
  • Options
    DACP_tim wrote: »
    ... What should I do with the 2 month down time?...

I see you are in the Software track. I'd spend those 2 months taking some Coursera/Udacity class(es). Could start learning Java, there's a ton of free stuff on the interwebs. If you are like me, I wasn't interested in the pure networking/IT classes, so I completed them as fast as I could. If that's the case, you could start studying for the Net+, all the networking MTA's, etc, that way you can knock them out quickly.
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been struggling the last month with CLC1. Does anyone have any tips for it? I took a preassessment before I started, and then one last week where I scored lower than I did the first time. I think the information is poorly written, and is more focused on morals than logic/critical thinking. That being said I still need to complete it. I purchased the physical book off amazon and I still am getting no where fast. Any helpful suggestions? I want to get this class behind me so I can work on more interesting IT courses.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    Watch their recorded webinars and actually sit in on a live one. I watched the webinars and sat in on one and asked a few questions.