Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    arwes wrote: »
    So far it seems that much of my time at WGU is spent waiting LOL. Waiting on scheduling, waiting on Taskstream, etc. My webcam isn't going to be here until Friday, so I'll be taking CLC1 at the local library during work hours because they don't proctor on weekends or after hours it seems. And I'm taking WFV1 tomorrow, which looks to be pretty simple. I finished up the essay for LAE1 earlier, just waiting on Taskstream to open up so I can get it submitted now.

We have the same start dates. Did you have to take any practice exams for your mentor to let you schedule WFV1. Or how did that go? I am still waiting for my AAV which will be tomorrow and I am ready to take WFV1 but don't know if my mentor will want me to pass something first. I am studying for CLC1 right now as well. What have you read in order to prepare you for CLC1?
    WGU Complete: September 2014
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, there's a pre-assessment buried in the course of study that you have to take. You'll know when you see it, it has 85 questions. After you pass it, email your mentor and then request approval to take the actual assessment. Mine apparently thought I was just clicking on the request assessment link for fun, and didn't realize I actually passed the pre-assessment. Kinda figured they would get notified but, nope!

Honestly, for CLC1 I took the pre-assessment right off the bat to see where I was lacking and got 71% (passing is 60%) and my mentor was all gung-ho for me to go ahead and take the assessment ASAP. I'm just skimming through the learning resources on the site until I take the test on Monday.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pixa241 Depending on your mentor, you may not need to pre-assess for any cert at WGU. The only classes I took pre-assessments on were the math classes, and only because I felt I needed them. I imagine it's up to your particular mentor, mine was rather laid back and didn't make me jump through hoops to finish my classes.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    I read somewhere (maybe here?) though that WGU started cracking down on mentors doing that recently, so they pretty much require you to take the pre-assessment before the assessment. The assessments probably cost them a good bit more than the pre-assessments they use online, so I can see where they're coming from.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    It's written in the student handbook as being required, and my mentor sure requires it but defiantly seems to vary
  • Options
    Well I passed WFV1, I hope the rest of the assessments are equally difficult LOL.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as taskstream goes, I submit my work then immediately move on the the next task. By the time the grade pops up, I've finished with another task and have submitted it. Don't wait for taskstream, just keep going. I've submitted my 3rd essay for RIT1 and I'm currently working on the 4th. I told my mentor my that today and he though it was best to go ahead and load CJV1 today so that after I submit task 4 for RIT1, I can start working on the database class without wasting any time.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Reseven - you exhibit more sangfroid that I do. I cannot just ignore a task submitted to Taskstream - I have to keep checking on it. Having said that, I do a lot of tasks in parallel. Right now I have RIT1 Task 1 and Task 2 completed although I haven't even started RIT1 - I just get bored with studying TPV1 and I don't feel like tackling the databases yet, so I just kill time by writing an essay or two.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my last test (CIW Database) scheduled for Thursday @ 3:30 PM. Looking forward to being done and enjoying what little free time I have left before my daughter arrives (due end of February).

I'm all done! icon_cheers.gif With 21 days to spare.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @boredgamelad - let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done! icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□

Congratulations!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Congratulations!
  • Options

Nice job. Now go enjoy your last days of freedom!
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380

WOOT! Congrats man!
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reseven wrote: »
    Nice job. Now go enjoy your last days of freedom!

I know I said I'd take some time to myself but rather than rest on my laurels I've decided to try and finish up CCNA:Sec before my daughter arrives. That is assuming I don't get lost in the closet of my computer room trying to clean it out this weekend.

Thanks to everyone both here and on WGUStudents.com who supported me, gave me advice, and answered my personal messages when I was stuck on something or had questions. Big thanks to TE for introducing me to WGU and swild's 1 term finish thread for inspiring me to try the same.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just finished Strategic Management - moving onto Leadership starting this week. Looks to move quickly 4 - 6 weeks. After this just Finance and the Capstone.

Getting very close!
  • Options
    Very nice! Some of you guys are powering through these courses.

KFT1 Task 4 is coming along, the documentation for this task could be another whole course. I am hoping to be done and submitted by end of next week.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just finished Strategic Management - moving onto Leadership starting this week. Looks to move quickly 4 - 6 weeks. After this just Finance and the Capstone.

Getting very close!

Great job, keep it up!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Assessment for FNV2 scheduled for the 9th of Feb. Just finished up the AIO book on Saturday, took the day off on Sunday, and tonight going to hit the CBT nuggets vids. Went to boot up my lab server, RAID card died apparently. So waiting on a replacement to come in, hopefully soon, however my desktop has enough horsepower to do a few labs. Been working on some of the Mutillidae stuff, really interesting and fun.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Just passed CLC1! Got a 71% on the pre-assessment, and got 76% on the assessment itself. I'll be glad when the webcam gets here, because the only proctor around here is the local library and there were a lot of distractions going on. I honestly think Books-A-Million is quieter than the library, LOL.
  • Options
    Pass for RIT1 just popped up in my mailbox. Looks like essay 4 was good.

I'm over halfway through the DB class material now. For me, it's pretty much a rehash of the Oracle class that I took when I got my AAS. This one should go down quickly. I think I'll schedule it for Monday. After that, Tech Writing and Capstone...
  • Options
    Nice! You are moving right along. RIT1 was a good break for me from JavaScript, with 4 easy essays.
  • Options
    foofightersfoofighters Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I submitted Task 4 for RIT1 on Sunday, waiting to hear back. Moving on to the next course...
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am doing my first class, WFV1, and it says i need to complete the practice exam three times to have my mentor let me take the real test. For those that have taken or in the class, does this mean the complete question test for each section or is it just the sample more like the real test with 90 random questions?

Also, it says that i would receive an email with the results of the big ~300 question test and i have not received anything. Should i be worried they dont have the correct info?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am set to meet with my leadership group Thursday night at 8 pm.

The group seems like some highly competent professionals. I look forward to engaging with the group and then moving on to financial analysis.

After Leadership all I have left is financial analysis and the capstone and then I receive my MBA. I am so stoked, I have to admit receiving a degree is 10 times more rewarding than a certification. It requires so much more effort, at least for me.

For all of you who are still working on your MA or BA, keep at it. It is so worth it at the end of the day.

Good luck
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    I am doing my first class, WFV1, and it says i need to complete the practice exam three times to have my mentor let me take the real test. For those that have taken or in the class, does this mean the complete question test for each section or is it just the sample more like the real test with 90 random questions?

Also, it says that i would receive an email with the results of the big ~300 question test and i have not received anything. Should i be worried they dont have the correct info?

Is WFV1 the CIW Foundations? If so, my mentor just had me do the practice exam 3 times. You can take a screenshot after passing each time and send it to your mentor, if they aren't receiving notifications you've completed them. After 3 times through the practice exams, you'll be ready to go. CIW prep materials are excellent.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Is WFV1 the CIW Foundations? If so, my mentor just had me do the practice exam 3 times. You can take a screenshot after passing each time and send it to your mentor, if they aren't receiving notifications you've completed them. After 3 times through the practice exams, you'll be ready to go. CIW prep materials are excellent.

Very well developed and thorough! I am finding material i honestly never knew or didnt know correctly in their study material. I am going through Site Development now so hopefully by end of month i will have my first class under my belt.
  • Options
    Nice. Don't over think this exam, its not hard. I found it to be a mix of A+, N+, S+ with a sprinkling of HTML v5 tossed in.
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello, I am close to finishing 4 classes after about 6 weeks, and I wanted to know what other classes I can finish off. I have read that MGC1, RIT1, BNC1, and TPV1 aren't too hard and can be done quickly if you put in the time. What about DFV1 and CUV1? Are the latter 2 courses similar to WFV1 or are there actual HTML programming scenarios?
  • Options
    MGC1 is pretty easy, but I had done a lot of org behavior and management courses earlier. You can probably knock out MGC1, BNC1, and RIT1 in less than a month. My AAS cleared DFV1, so I'll let someone else answer that. CUV1 was a lot of background stuff, but I'd know how to create the web pages, use CSS, Flash, and be familiar with Dreamweaver and AJAX.