Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just submitted my Capstone, now for the waiting. Just have to finish up KFT1 tasks 2-4 and I am done.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Just passed CCNA Security.... all I have left is Win 7, CIW database, the second java class and my capstone
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Mike-Mike - well done! Good luck on the remaining exams! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    WGU is taking forever. I was supposed to start January 1st 2013, but looks like I am not going to make it. My previous school sent an outdated transcript with some missing classes so I had to resend the newest one and also sent in a Microsoft transcript but am still waiting on the evaluation. Has been over 2 weeks. Looks like im going to have to wait till February. My enrollment counselor is out on vacation and the replacement he referred me to is not responding to my emails or calls. :/
    WGU Complete: September 2014
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Not to make excuses for the school, but being realistic, enrolling at this time of the year has to be one of the worse. It's "the" major family holiday in the US. I think everything has to be done by like the 23rd or something, and with it being the holidays... It sounds like the school has been suffering from some serious growing pains since November.

Just shedding some light on it. I know it doesn't really help, you are anxious to start.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm supposed to be starting on the first as well, but as far as I know they pushed back the deadline to have everything in for a January 1st start date to December 26th. So as long as everything had been received and all the financials worked out by yesterday it should be fine. I'm still waiting on having the orientation open up myself, but a woman I talked to today stated that I'm not the only one and due to the holidays and what not they're pushing back the orientation completion date to something like the first week of January.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got my Capstone idea approved (a secure, non-intrusive, low-bandwidth remote desktop monitoring program). Kicker is, I've already got most of the project itself complete. Should have tech writing done over the weekend and the Capstone paper done by the end of next week. Then I just gotta finish up this pesky database class and I'll have achieved my 1-term BS :D
    And then there was one, KFT1, that is. Passed my Capstone today. Task 4 looks like a bear, I think its going to take some time.
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    You definitely want to rattle their cages. They had my transcripts for over 2 weeks and didn't even look at them until I made noise with my enrollment counselor.
  • AmonixAmonix Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just checked my resume and the certs I have are on there. I also included my Xerox, Lexmark, Dell, Lenovo, HP, and various other vendor certs I have as well. I went from no printer experience to Xerox Expert in 2 months. I am thankful for all your comments and suggestions. I think this is got to be one of the best groups out there for encouragement and support. You guys are awesome and thank you again.
  • egakegak Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how early should one apply? i finish my associates after this term (jan-march) and they send me stuff in the mail every month...but from my understanding, you can only start in the beginning of each month.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a make-or-break ICND2 CCNA exam tomorrow morning. Any last-minute tips to pass this thing on the first attempt would be welcome here or to my PM box. I've been using the Boson Ex-Sim Max practice exams, the INE videos, the Tod Lammle study guide, the CCNA Portable Command Guide by Scott Empson, my Home Lab, and of course the LearnKey videos provided by WGU.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    egak wrote: »
    how early should one apply? i finish my associates after this term (jan-march) and they send me stuff in the mail every month...but from my understanding, you can only start in the beginning of each month.

New students start at the beginning of each month. You should aim to have all documentation received by the month prior to starting. If you graduate with your AS degree in March, then you'll probably be looking at a May 1 start.

Your AS degree should clear most of the lower level courses, too.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, I'm back from a few months of hiatus. Life's gotten in the way, and I'm due to resume my graduate study on Jan. 1st, but I may will have to push it back further to next July if the financial aid paperwork fall through before my tuition due date. I plan to call the bursar and financial aid office next Monday to confirm everything.
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Congrats to everyone on their recent triumphs, accomplishments and degree completions. I finally finished up CTV1 (Security +). I am not knocking out the CUs as fast as I had hoped. I am at 12 CUs with two months left in my term but I start a new job soon that will most likely interfere with my studies. Next up on the list is CUV1. I really need to learn the basics and not blaze through the material. Does anyone have any suggestions for supplemental content or is the CIW labs provided by WGU good enough?
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • tekalontekalon Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Krones wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone on their recent triumphs, accomplishments and degree completions. I finally finished up CTV1 (Security +). I am not knocking out the CUs as fast as I had hoped. I am at 12 CUs with two months left in my term but I start a new job soon that will most likely interfere with my studies. Next up on the list is CUV1. I really need to learn the basics and not blaze through the material. Does anyone have any suggestions for supplemental content or is the CIW labs provided by WGU good enough?

I also just got my Security. I finished the CIWs earlier this year and I would say that the content WGU gives for CIW is all you need. Read the material, do the practice tests and you will be fine. I had trouble with Databases but that's because I only skimmed the material rather than actually studying for it. If you've passed any CompTIA, CIW should be a breeze.
    Anyone ever have two classes not completed at the end of a term?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    Are you only worried about SAP? you have 76% which is fine. Student services I think are open give them a call with your concerns.
    Yeah, but according to the student handbook SAP is calculated at the end of the term. Right now it is 77%, but with these two classes it may knock me out of eligibility for financial aid which will be a MAJOR setback... but something that can be salvaged.

For those wondering why we are talking about this, I failed the ICND2 exam this morning, which means that CQV1 and CNV1 won't be finished before the end of the term....
    Just talked to student services. I'm still ok. I just have to kick ass next term. icon_cheers.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    Humm according to the student handbook under SAP -> continuing students = all points are referenced using cumulative SAP. For example my SAP is

Enrolled

Completed

%

Current Term SAP

Cumulative SAP

So you should be fine regarding SAP and financial aid. Now for your mentor and probation "shrug"
    Yep, exactly. This is what was explained to me. I just have to kick ass next term.
  • tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @matavi - I'm starting 1/1 as well. I was also waiting for orientation as well. My enrollment counselor told me he'd take care of it then went on vacation. The enrollment counselor he referred me to also didn't do anything. So I called student services and they sent me an email with a link to orientation. I completed that 2 days ago and received an email from my mentor yesterday. So if you still don't have access to orientation try calling student services.
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @tycar - Yeah, it opened up for me like really early on the 28th. I didn't even get the e-mail they told me I would to start it. I was just impatiently checking the student portal at like 2 in the morning and found it active. I had to quit shortly into it though because I didn't have access to the communities yet for some of the stuff they wanted me to do. lol. But now that's done and it's time for the good stuff. :D
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    My mentor did the same thing, but i sent in some transcripts to the mentor he referred me to but never got confirmation or anything so I wonder if that will not be transferred in. I hope everything I sent in get transferred in since that would greatly knock off some classes
    WGU Complete: September 2014
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did anyone else get an email about EWOB having issues?
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I just had a very interesting experience! I attempted to give my enrollment counselor a call using the number in his email signature block and was out for a big surprise, his numbers listed goes to a sex hotline! icon_lol.gif Completely serious, I triple checked to make sure I had dialed the right number. The last digit of their number is an 8, his shows 6. I thought it was hilarious but feel bad for him, I can't imagine how many students have tried calling his number today. I tried to let him know but they are closed for the holidays.
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    My Capstone CPW3 has been submitted for grading!! Wish me luck everyone! Pass the Microsft exams and I am done!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its settiling in that today i start the future of my career. I am currently going over material for my first class: WFV1.

Side note for anyone that sees that that is looking to register and start at WGU. Jan 1 is not the best start time due to the number of days that are closed between the holidays. I'm finding that my mentor is not available when i am because the school is closed.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Jack2 - congrats on completing the Capstone!

@Nemowolf - good luck on your first course at WGU!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]