Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hmm.. They weren't very specific with the denial. How did the interviews with the EC go? It looks like you have the work experience, can allow enough time, and passed the readiness assessments.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vanquish23 - the same thing happened to me - I initially received a similar letter. They did not get my certs on time and I had indicated that I did not have any previous college experience on my application. I called my enrollment counselor on the matter and within a few days things made a drastic turnaround for the better - suddenly I received a congratulatory letter. I would advise you to speak to your enrollment counselor or to someone in the enrollment department before you make any further decisions.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    ...Oh well, there are better online schools out there.

When you find one that is as affordable, as accredited, as positive community reputation, and can be completed totally at your own pace (whether that is extremely fast or slow) please let us know.

I don't think you will find one. That's why as others have mentioned, dig a little into why exactly you were denied. It's worth the hassle. My 2cents.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I had a very poor experience with my first enrollment counselor who said I didn't have enough experience and no certs and wouldn't let me in also. I gave up but after I started on my mcts I called the school and asked to work with anyone else. Everything past that has been pretty awesome
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vanquish23 don't give up!!! I'm expecting you to post here with good news of being excepted:) From my experience with college in general, there's always someone screwing up.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    They can have the money. I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have 6 years of IT experience, certs, and now working at a data center. Guess thats to much above thier level.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    At least give them a call and find out the reasoning. Seems like they made a mistake somewhere and a simple call could fix that.
  • tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They can have the money. I have the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have 6 years of IT experience, certs, and now working at a data center. Guess thats to much above thier level.

Find out why they didn't accept you and try again or quit your whining! :)
  • forza_romaforza_roma Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you recommend WGU to someone looking for a career change. I have a BS in Microbiology and looking to hopefully enroll in one of the degree programs from the "college of IT" sometime next year. Let me just say, I do not have real world experience in IT, never held a computer job, so would it be difficult for those looking to step foot in something totally new. Also, in terms of employment I figure experience outweighs any paper/degree/cert, so in that case how would graduating from WGU benefit someone in my shoes looking for employment after attaining degree from WGU. It seems those that attend WGU have several years of experience in had. Thanks!!!!
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    So i haven't posted in a while but i should be starting the MS-ISA program on November first. I already grabbed study materials for the CCNET exam to get a head start.

Those in the program now would you say that the degree could be completed in one term? Only reason i ask is because i was previously able to complete my BS-IT in one term. Just curious if i can do it again.
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    forza_roma wrote: »
    Would you recommend WGU to someone looking for a career change. I have a BS in Microbiology and looking to hopefully enroll in one of the degree programs from the "college of IT" sometime next year. Let me just say, I do not have real world experience in IT, never held a computer job, so would it be difficult for those looking to step foot in something totally new. Also, in terms of employment I figure experience outweighs any paper/degree/cert, so in that case how would graduating from WGU benefit someone in my shoes looking for employment after attaining degree from WGU. It seems those that attend WGU have several years of experience in had. Thanks!!!!

I got denied because I did not have "some college credits," but have 6 years in IT, certificates, and college paid for. Good luck. They want you to have everything.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Thats odd, all I had was exp and certs and they took me without complaint. O.o I'd press the issue especially since you only need 1 of the entrance criteria not all of them.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Got a little hung up in looking for another position, task 3 for TFT2 submitted this evening. Going to go for task 4 tomorrow and be done with that class. Only task 2 and 3 to do for VUT2 and that rounds me out for my minimum. Will probably go for FNV2 next, need some more resume candy. Getting a lot of offers for spots much like where I am now, but really want that security position.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    I got denied because I did not have "some college credits," but have 6 years in IT, certificates, and college paid for. Good luck. They want you to have everything.

Oh wow, really. So even getting accepted for someone looking for a career change is going to be difficult. Only cert I got in IT is software testing (ISTQB). Hopefully everything goes smooth and I don't have to take wait to get started. Thanks!!!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm glad to hear that they don't just accept anyone wiling to pay the tuition.
    DPG wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that they don't just accept anyone wiling to pay the tuition.

So how about for people looking for a career change? Surely someone with little background in computer/IT got accepted. Anyway, I'll talk with the counselor and get a much clearer understanding.
    forza_roma wrote: »
    So how about for people looking for a career change? Surely someone with little background in computer/IT got accepted. Anyway, I'll talk with the counselor and get a much clearer understanding.

Community college and get an AS or AAS.

It doesn't make sense that someone can get a BA or BS without first obtaining some type of associate degree.
    DPG wrote: »
    Community college and get an AS or AAS.

It doesn't make sense that someone can get a BA or BS without first obtaining some type of associate degree.

If you read my first post, you would understand I have a BS in microbiology. Plus community college is quite expensive, if that was the case would have gone to the college I first graduated from by doing a post-bacc program, which is extremely expensive. No sense in going that route. As I have also posted, I do have some sort of cert related to IT, and have done some internship as QA tester. Hopefully that is more than enough. Thanks for your input though.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I don't know if I quite agree with that statement DPG. The process of getting the B.S would cover all the same bases that an A.S. would cover.

Also by that logic I wouldnt be able to attend WGU b\c I'v never taken a college course until 9\1 of this year, yet here I am >40 days in and I'v already got 41CU's (29 were from certs). There is definitly something else that affecting the enrollment for him.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »
    So i haven't posted in a while but i should be starting the MS-ISA program on November first. I already grabbed study materials for the CCNET exam to get a head start.

Those in the program now would you say that the degree could be completed in one term? Only reason i ask is because i was previously able to complete my BS-IT in one term. Just curious if i can do it again.

Honestly, I'd say no. Studying up for CCENT right off the bat is a good move. With that said, there are 3 more certs in the program: CEH, CHFI, and G2700. These will most likely take up (at minimum) 1 term of your time.

2 terms is doable, but still an insane pace. 3 terms is a more reasonable goal.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    I agree with paulgswanson. Anyway, it doesn't matter if you don't have an associate. The program requires 120 credits. For the guy that got denied, he either doesn't have a IT certification, college credit, experience or they made a mistake. Getting into WGU is way easier than my last college.
    So according to some people here, WGU doesn't stick to it's standards for enrollment. I didn't believe this program was for people with no IT experience. Maybe I was wrong.

Here are the specific requirements:

• Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
      • Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable)
      • Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
        • Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
        • Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
        • One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
        • One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
      • Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
      • Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience
    You only have to have one method. My CompTIA A+ alone got me accepted.
    While I met the work requirement they wanted me to get a certification regardless, seems they are becoming more strict
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Yes, I have also noticed that they are making a few changes to the program. When I started, I was required to get the S+ cert for acceptance. Just the other day, my mentor was telling me that there may be some revamping regarding the G2700 exam next year which I think is a good thing. Mostly considering the cost for getting official material.
    The problem with what I am seeing is that your acceptance solely relies on who your enrollment counselor is.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    usagent27 wrote: »

I wouldn't even try a single term, you'll probably burn yourself out so fast it's not even funny. I did the math in my head and came out at an absolute best case scenario for me (with CCENT transferring in mind you) of 9 months. I have completed 2 courses in 1 month and hope to finish out another 2 for this month and start in heavy on the CEH studies. I figure at minimum each cert to take 2 months to study for so yeah, it's not even on the same level as the BS. The writing alone is way more in depth than even the capstone for my BS was.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Technical Writing submitted!!icon_thumright.gif
    Ready to get this degree behind me.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Technical Writing submitted!!icon_thumright.gif
    Ready to get this degree behind me.

When did you start and how many credits did you transfer?
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    When did you start and how many credits did you transfer?
    June 2011, transferred 44 units.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup: