Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i just emailed with the enrollment guy (jeff) he told me that the network masters is 11 papers/projects, 1 wgu test, 1 oral defense

im sure i can complete it faster than the info sec path

i can always cert out the info sec path i want after, it seams that wgu only does the pen testing route

Wow, thats pretty cool. I enjoy writing papers, so that sounds like the Masters I should probably pursue. I liked the GIAC cert on the security track, but it really sounds like this one would be much easier.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about their IT MBA degree? I wonder how that one measures up to the other masters they offer.
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    lelei wrote: »
    Wow, thats pretty cool. I enjoy writing papers, so that sounds like the Masters I should probably pursue. I liked the GIAC cert on the security track, but it really sounds like this one would be much easier.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about their IT MBA degree? I wonder how that one measures up to the other masters they offer.

i dont know the sec one maybe faster for ya cause ya already could knock out 2 classes with your c|eh and ccna
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i used CIW Foundations Study Notes and thumbed over some of the topics i wasnt good at

That's about what I did.
    @paul - Since you have the A+ N+ and S+ you have the majority of the material already under your belt. Don't sweat this one, its not hard.
    any one here taking the masters in networking, if so how do you like it

I was wondering the same. After wasting a fair amount of time on certs, especially certs that I have don't really need, it would be nice to just go through regular classes. I really enjoy doing research and writing papers.

Once I finish up my B.S. IT - hopefully in the next 6 months, then I was thinking of continuing with a M.S. or start on the CCNA.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Passed CLC1 and WFV1 today. Both were pretty simple. BTW Paul, with the study guide and the skillsoft modules you will have more than enough material to pass the exam.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LOT2 task 1 and VUT2 task 1 have been submitted. First time i've worked on two classes at once, not bad. Hope to knock both out by Wednesday if possible.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Melika635Melika635 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Today I passed the ABV1. I have been flying on cloud 9 since 10am. I have officially met the graduation requirements and will be walking the stage in November in Texas. I am so excited to have free time again!

Thank you all for the encouragement when I would sporadically pop in here. I do expect to return to WGU in a couple years for my MBA (IT Management), but I'm gonna take a few years and let my husband be the student for awhile. :)

Good luck to all you current students. It's possible and WORTH it. :)
    M.
    Completed BS, Information Technology
    MBA- IT Management- Targeted Start Date 9/1/2013
    Courses left: QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Courses Completed:

• kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Congrats!!

I can't wait to have some free time again as well:)

Melika635 wrote: »
    Today I passed the ABV1. I have been flying on cloud 9 since 10am. I have officially met the graduation requirements and will be walking the stage in November in Texas. I am so excited to have free time again!

Thank you all for the encouragement when I would sporadically pop in here. I do expect to return to WGU in a couple years for my MBA (IT Management), but I'm gonna take a few years and let my husband be the student for awhile. :)

Good luck to all you current students. It's possible and WORTH it. :)
    M.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
    Congrats Melika635!
    I know you say you're taking a bit of a break, but any thoughts to a Masters program?

On a related note, wow I had forgotten how crappy taskstream is after the 15th.
    Congrats Melika! Enjoy your well deserved break.
  • hougeekhougeek Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll be starting WGU on November 1st for my BS-IT NDAM! I'm transfering a significant part of the program and my transfer evaluation was better than I expected.

I plan to devote 12 hours M-T and all of the weekend as needed to get this done.

With the classes that I have to complete, which ones are cakewalks and which ones will require me to dig in a bit?

Cheers!!!

Courses Remaining: AGC1|BBC1|CLC1|LAE1|LUT1|QBT1|INC1|INT1|BOV1|GAC1|HHT1|QLT1|BNC1|IWC1|IWT1|SBT1|RCT1
    Courses Transferred: WFV1|AXV1|CPV1|DFV1|CUV1|DHV1|CSV1|CWV1|CRV1|DEV1|CTV1|BVC1|TPV1|AHV1|AIV1|BHV1|BIVI
  • Melika635Melika635 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep, I plan to come back for the MBA- IT Management. Probably about 2-2.5 years from now, as my husband is about to start attending CSU for his Masters in English somethingorother.
    Completed BS, Information Technology
    MBA- IT Management- Targeted Start Date 9/1/2013
    Courses left: QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Courses Completed:

• paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @hougeek
    AGC1 BBC1 CLC1
    INC1 INT1
    Id say the ones above are your best bet at flying quickly. Taking my AGC1 test on the 22nd (basic algebra) already passed BBC1 (was basically a phonetics class)

Those are probably gonna be the classes your Mentor recommends you take 1st anyways
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hougeek wrote: »
    I'll be starting WGU on November 1st for my BS-IT NDAM! I'm transfering a significant part of the program and my transfer evaluation was better than I expected.

I plan to devote 12 hours M-T and all of the weekend as needed to get this done.

With the classes that I have to complete, which ones are cakewalks and which ones will require me to dig in a bit?

Cheers!!!

Courses Remaining: AGC1|BBC1|CLC1|LAE1|LUT1|QBT1|INC1|INT1|BOV1|GAC1|HHT1|QLT1|BNC1|IWC1|IWT1|SBT1|RCT1
    Courses Transferred: WFV1|AXV1|CPV1|DFV1|CUV1|DHV1|CSV1|CWV1|CRV1|DEV1|CTV1|BVC1|TPV1|AHV1|AIV1|BHV1|BIVI

AGC1|BBC1|CLC1|LAE1|INT1|IWC1|IWT1|BNC1

LUT1 is an easy one too, but you need to do QBT1 first (which is not so much difficult as it is onerous...QBT1 is NOT to be taken lightly.) INT1 is easy by itself, but INC1 from what I hear is a bear.....(elementary sciences...) people had told me to be thankful I did not have to take it. However INT1 is just going back to fifth grade...and doing a fifth grade science project....but they are very particular in how they want it done.

You can probably do the BS math course you have to get it over with (AGC1.) But then you will have the other maths to do. They are doable, but you have to put in work at Mathlab....even if you're a math genius. Then you got tech writing and capstone.....a lot of writing, but QBT1 will prepare you for that.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Semester is over for me. Starting back up in October...... Strategic Management, Leadership, and Decision Analysis. Hopefully I can get those done at a decent rate and then finish up with Financial Analysis and then the Capstone.

Good times.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @hougeek
    AGC1 BBC1 CLC1
    INC1 INT1
    Id say the ones above are your best bet at flying quickly. Taking my AGC1 test on the 22nd (basic algebra) already passed BBC1 (was basically a phonetics class)

Those are probably gonna be the classes your Mentor recommends you take 1st anyways

Checking out your blog! Awesome that your tracking your progress for others to read about!
    Both task 1 for LOT2 and VUT2 came back as a pass. Submitted task 2 for LOT2 this evening and started the powerpoint outline and target website for task 3. Hope to knock it out more or less tomorrow. Then I go on call for a week, so no real opportunity to study for a week. I may try and knock out the other 2 tasks for VUT2 if possible, neither some overly difficult.

I'd like to finish TFT2 before the end of the month if possible, although more than likely will be the first week of October. That'll round out my 9 for the term in just over a month. May throw JIT2 and FXT2 on for good measure and take the CEH to finish out the term. May go nuts and go for the CHFI as well. That leaves me with 3 classes left for term 2, which puts me right at my goal of 9 months. icon_study.gif
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Both task 1 for LOT2 and VUT2 came back as a pass. Submitted task 2 for LOT2 this evening and started the powerpoint outline and target website for task 3. Hope to knock it out more or less tomorrow. Then I go on call for a week, so no real opportunity to study for a week. I may try and knock out the other 2 tasks for VUT2 if possible, neither some overly difficult.

I'd like to finish TFT2 before the end of the month if possible, although more than likely will be the first week of October. That'll round out my 9 for the term in just over a month. May throw JIT2 and FXT2 on for good measure and take the CEH to finish out the term. May go nuts and go for the CHFI as well. That leaves me with 3 classes left for term 2, which puts me right at my goal of 9 months. icon_study.gif

WOO!!! You can do it!!!
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Anyone take the exam for MGC1 yet? I took the pre-test last night and got a 70 on it. The cut score is 52 so I think I'm ready but will go over my weak areas from my score report. Anyone have any tips for the exam? I'm going to try to schedule to take it from home this Friday evening.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @Nemo Glad you noticed! I wasn't sure anyone was even reading it lol
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed my first assessment today. I won't even lie, I barely studied for it. I was supposed to read 8 chapters but only read 3. I just read the summaries of the rest of the chapters and used common sense for the rest of the questions.

MGC1
  • chob11chob11 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any one have advice for approaching KFT1? Also, for task 1 and 2 is it required to have a partner? Thanks.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chob11 wrote: »
    Any one have advice for approaching KFT1? Also, for task 1 and 2 is it required to have a partner? Thanks.

I would contact your mentor on that one. I talked with my mentor briefly about KFT1 yesterday and I believe he told me that he put together partners for the class.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    For the first two task in KFT1

Task 1 = yes you need a partner / just post in the communities asking for one
    Task 2 = no you do not use a partner / you will need a "group" and two of those to fill out the stupid checklist (I plan on using family members)

I know task 4 will make up for these "easy" task but KFT1 is leaps and bounds more stupid as an assessment then the science INT1 class. At least for the experiment you have to submit your findings and be a little meticulous in the details.
    LOT2 done. Waiting on TFT2 task 1 to come back, starting on TFT2 task 2 right now. Whee.
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Just submitted JIT2 last night, have FMV2 (CHFI) to do soon and then probably not going to start another course before my term ends (end of next month). Going to get started on the next one, and see where I can go with it... if I think I can make it (with possible revisions) then I might just add it this term. Either way, I should have 3-4 courses (including capstone) left for my second term!
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Submitted my summary proposal for SBT1, Technical Writing, to one of the course mentors via email. All I saw in Taskstream was submittal of the complete project and the associated Employer approval form and competency matrix.

Just waiting for the go ahead so I can knock it out.
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just missed CCENT certification by a few points. Every time I've failed a certification exam, it's been by only a few points. So, I'm not too choked up about it. With that said, I'm pretty sure my performance on the simlets doomed me.

I'll revisit the labs and Cisco practice exam, making sure to use the ICND1 book as strictly reference material (since re-reading from cover to cover is excessive). I'll retake the exam in a couple of weeks.

On the bright side, task 1 for VUT2 is completed. I'm progressing at a snail's pace; but progressing nonetheless.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • scalpelrushscalpelrush Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I need some help choosing the order of classes that I have left. Any advice, tips, and help that you can send my way, I'll appreciate it. Do you think is it possible to finish with the following six classes before December, 31, 2012?

Courses that separate me from that piece of paper:

LET1: Leadership Concepts and Applications
    SST1: General Education Social Science: Analysis and Applications
    IWT1: Literature, Arts and the Humanities: Analysis and Interpretation
    INT1: Integrated Natural Science Applications
    TWA1: Technical Writing
    CPW3: IT-Network Design and Management Capstone Project

Some things I should add, English is not my first language, writing is not something I enjoy too much and I hate Taskstream!!!! However, I know I have to do it and I have the time to focus and finish all those classes. I was thinking to start with TWA1 but I don’t know if that is such a good idea.

Thank you.

Leo.
    Courses Required to Graduate WGU with BS - IT: NDM: BVC1.
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, CLC1, BBC1, BAC1 | GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 | ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, SSC1, IWC1, INC1 | INT1, IWT1, LET1, TWA1, CPW3
    Courses Transferred: AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1.

• leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would try to knock out TWA1 and your capstone first, while working on LET1 and INC1. Write the papers and while they are pending in Taskstream, study the materials for the other two classes. Also, if you get stuck while writing and need to take a break, you can switch to studying for the other classes as well. I think a system like that is your best bet for knocking out as much as possible before the end of your term.

INT1 was a monster of an exam. It covered a very wide range of subject matter and was the toughest out of the classes I took due to amount of material it covered. Its not deep, but its very wide.
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15