Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    flashoverrideflashoverride Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ugh.

I am halfway through WGU, on my 4th term, 60 CUs down. For some reason I just can not get motivated to knock this stuff out any more. I am a month into my 4th term and I just can't motivate myself to finish HHT1 and GAC1. I sit down to study these and can't stay focused, even though I know these (in theory) should be cakewalk, especially when compared to a lot of the other courses already done.

I already work full-time and tacking on full-time student w/ the fam and everything is is seriously burning me out. Not to mention I still have the big 3 MS certs left... 640, 42, and 46... and CCNA, which I failed 3 times (missed it by 1 question the last two times). This will be my last attempt at that test, even though it's a new term and Cisco changed the test.
  • Options
    fcatfcat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They are changing the material for the class and the test I believe to be more applied and less theory. The theory part being all that math you are concerned about. I have been told it will not have any math. The new stuff is due sometime in the next month or so.

Took the old exam yesterday, missed it by a 3 or 4 questions. I would not bother learning mathematics but I would say this exam/class suffers from the same problem the other objective based exam/class does. There is a mountain of information to study and no clear direction. So, you are left to try and cram it all. The only real indicators for the test is the pre-assessment, but I would say it is not a fair representation of what you need for the exam. The pre-assessment goes to a high to mid level of detail. The test is much more mid to low level.

I would say MSISA, WGU has there act together for a self pace, self teach degree. They are really struggling though for timed, objective based testing. Unless the approach is the old school here is the book see you for the final. If so, it does not jive with the rest of the degree.
  • Options
    KinesioKinesio Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

If anyone should be looking for a WGU referral, I am willing to offer them.

Kinesio
  • Options
    tam6530tam6530 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hypntick wrote: »
    This is a bit of a cross post from the GIAC section, however...

I FRICKIN' PASSED!!!!! icon_cheers.gif
    As soon as the score is processed, graduation proceedings start, and I am done baby!

Now for the particulars: I used the IT governance book that's suggested in the COS, the ISO standards print outs, all the files that the course mentor provides. I also took my CISSP Shon Harris book with me just in case. Had everything neatly organized in a pair of binders for ease of search. Finished in 55 minutes with a score of 84.3%, not spectacular, but i'll take it. Although I will say when the first checkpoint hit with a score of 73% I kinda got a little worried.

At any rate, aside from upgrading my MCSA to 2012, I really don't have a concrete plan of what I want to do next. More than likely CCNA:Sec and I have to do my FCNSA for work, but that's going to be a cake walk. I may go for the CISSP, eCPPT, or the OSCP. But now, i'm going to finish out my work day, and celebrate a bit!

Any questions or advice needed, please ask.

Congrats on passing! I'm an "older" student who's worked in business most of my life and only have an AS degree. I'm seriously thinking of starting my Ba at WGU in IT and wondered if you have any thoughts on someone that has not worked in IT pursuing this degree without a natural aptitude for it? I enjoy working with computers and can work with just about any software but wouldn't say I have a natural aptitude for IT in general. However, I have found that I do learn best on my own and am able to apply myself with the self study WGU commands. I'm also wondering how long to plan on it taking me to complete the 30 IT classes I'll need. In general, how long does it take to complete each class? Thanks!
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Just finished my first semester with 23 days to go. I think I could have done it sooner if I was not working on so many projects at work.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For those that have completed Tech Writing and Capstone, how long would it take to complete both of those classes if you grind it out and put in the hours? Is 2 weeks combined for both classes doable?
  • Options
    wjwatkinswjwatkins Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Hypntick!!!

I am considering signing up for this program and am wondering how long it took you from start to finish. I know this is a loaded question but I have an AAS degree from 20 years ago and have been working in the IT field since. I am now a manager over a large IT operations group with responsibility for Network, Server, Storage, Virtualization, etc. I have most of my working experience on the networking side of the house with a little experience in all the other areas listed above. I expect to get credit for the majority of the general ed courses if not all but not sure how long it would take to get through each individual course. Is there a standard time per course? Do you take one course at a time? I have done some research and read through many of the posts but just looking for some information from someone who is recently finishing up the program. I see some who have completed the whole program in 6 months but they have certifications moving into the program. I have no certifications that would be eligible as they date back 10 years. Still involved at the technical level but more on the management side these days.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wjwatkins wrote: »
    Is there a standard time per course? Do you take one course at a time?

No, and it's up to you. You have to take 12 CUs per 6 month term to be considered full time, other than that it really depends on what you can handle. You can read stories from 100s of different people in how quickly or slowly they've done their program, none of which will apply to how you'll handle it.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Completed TXP1 over the weekend and attempted the TXC1 exam. Failed it at 59 at a cut of 70. You'd think I've done better but the project was much easier than the actual test. Feelin' frustrated. Anyone else gone through TXC1 yet?
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    For those that have completed Tech Writing and Capstone, how long would it take to complete both of those classes if you grind it out and put in the hours? Is 2 weeks combined for both classes doable?

Yeah, it's doable, but the biggest issue is how long it takes to get the Tech Writing graded and returned to you. I was lucky; I submitted late Saturday night in the middle of the month and had my score by the time I got up the next morning. Do NOT count on that happening; figure a minimum of 72 hours. IIRC, it took 5+ days to get my Capstone graded as it was submitted closer to the end of the month.

The Capstone, for me, was a lot of changing things from future/present tense into past tense, there was a fair amount of new material, but a lot of it was recycled. You can probably start on the Capstone as soon as you submit the Tech Writing and then use the feedback once you get your score to make adjustments.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, PurpleIT. I have read about people being able to knock it out within one or two weeks (combined), so that gives me a little bit of relief.
  • Options
    wjwatkinswjwatkins Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Hypntick! I have started the application process and I guess we will see how fast I can move through the courses.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started my 3rd term back in September, after a 3 month hiatus. I would have done better with a 4 month break, but didn't want to withdraw. Needless to say, my first month back wasn't as productive as I hoped. Once October came around, things started falling into place.

I'm nearing the end of my studies for FMV2. I finished the EC-Council books and iClass videos a little while ago, and will finish the iLabs today. Honestly, the iClass videos struggled to hold my attention. So I listened to them while working. I'm enjoying the iLabs thus far, despite their not being very in-depth. The books were adequate; nothing special. After taking the practice exams, I will use the books (and NOT the videos) for remedial study. I'm looking to sit for the exam before Thanksgiving.

EDIT #1: I just completed the CHFI v8 iLabs. I noticed 2 of the 15 modules failed to register as completed the first time around, which was annoying. My opinion on their lack of depth still holds true. Than again, they are designed for use as a study aid for the certification exam. Overall, I found them to be useful.

EDIT #2: Apparently, there are multiple versions of the CHFI v8 iClass videos. I originally viewed the iClass modules through videotrainer.com. I now have access to the iClass modules through eccouncil.org. My initial review was aimed at the modules from videotrainer.com. I'm finding the iClass modules, from eccouncil.org, to be much more polished and riveting.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    So after some debate, indecision and frustration...I decided to pursue a MS:ISA with WGU. I didn't see the referal stuff and went ahead and sent in my app. I did my assessments and I've spoken with the enrollment/va depts and requested all my transcripts to get sent in. I guess I'll be waiting a week or two for all that to get worked out and find out if I can pursue a degree with them. I'm thinking my CCNA will transfer in as credit but everything else I'll have to do. I was hoping to start Jan 1st, 2014. The enrollment counselor said it on average takes about 2 years to complete.

Everyone seemed nice and helpful on the phone, they def stressed that I need to be self motivated which I don't really see as an issue for myself.
    Nothing bad to say at the moment. Any heads from those currently in the MS:ISA program would be cool, potential pitfalls, etc.
  • Options
    sameoldgsameoldg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

I am enrolled for my first term at WGU starting Dec 1 in the BS:IT-Sec program. Transferred in 18 credits from existing certs and just got cleared for EWB. Still waiting for my student mentor to be assigned. Overall the enrollment process was fairly straightforward.

I have been poking around the forum for a while and it helped in making the decision to choose WGU. Any helpful tips for getting out of the gate quickly would be appreciated. Looking complete the program as fast as possible without driving myself nuts in the process.
  • Options
    JuliusgJuliusg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking about starting WGU soon and have been looking through these post. How do I get the application fee waved?
    Goals: Updated 14 Mar 2014
    2013: CCNA R&S COLOR=red]X[/COLOR 2014: ​
    CCNP Switch[ ], CCNA-Voice[ ], CCNP Route[ ] 2015: CCNP Tshoot [ ], CCIE Written[ ] 2016: CCIE Lab [ ]
    WGU Progress: EUP1 CDP1 TBP1 CIC1 TCP1 TJC1 AGC1 TJP1 BVC1 CLC1 COV1 CQV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 GAC1 CJC1 CDC1 UBT1 EAV1 EBV1 WFV1 UBC1 EUC1 AJV1 BNC1 BOV1 CSV1 CTV1 CUV1 IWC1 IWT1 TPV1 AHV1 AIV1
    Start date: 4/1/2014 Transfered To do Currently Working On Completed
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Juliusg wrote: »
    I'm thinking about starting WGU soon and have been looking through these post. How do I get the application fee waved?

They no longer have the referral waive the app fee, it now covers a large portion though. Post up in the referral thread and a current student will contact you.
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Juliusg wrote: »

Also, if you are active duty or prior military they will wave the complete application fee for you.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received my CHFI voucher from WGU and scheduled the exam for November 23rd. After passing the exam, I will complete FYT2 and FYV2 concurrently. I plan to sit for the G2700 exam by January 25th, 2014. This will leave me a month to catch up on JIT2. If all ends well, I will have earned 10 CUs this term (compared to 6 CUs each of my first two terms). If not, then I can retake the exam and still earn my 8 CUs for the term.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    If you are close to graduation, does WGU give you an extra month for the semester like it used to have?
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sirbloody wrote: »
    Also, if you are active duty or prior military they will wave the complete application fee for you.

AD military here, didn't know this, oh well!
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let them know when you talk to them and they will refund it.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As I go through admissions again for my graduate degree, I am reminded of how bad the process is...

I am supposed to start on the 1st but noone will tell me if my corporate tuition letter of credit was accepted. I had to send it to 5 people before they credited the 5% discount but they didn't confirm if the invoice was sent to my employer. Also, I still do not have a mentor assigned to me. With the upcoming holiday, I question if I will still be starting next month.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have the DGC2 (Cryptography) COS? I have the book already so I would like to get a head start.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've spent the past couple of months taking Straighterline courses and rounding out certifications in preparation for starting the BS:IT-Software track and now I find out that enrollment for students in Arkansas has been "temporarily" suspended. *sigh*

Arkansas Admission Requirements | Online Degree Programs
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colby_ar wrote: »
    I've spent the past couple of months taking Straighterline courses and rounding out certifications in preparation for starting the BS:IT-Software track and now I find out that enrollment for students in Arkansas has been "temporarily" suspended. *sigh*

They may be getting sponsored by the state like Washington and the other states. If thats the case, it should be worth the wait as the state will sponsor testing centers in addition to any other testing locations.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colby_ar wrote: »

Strange, I'm from the Cabot area and plan to move back there in a couple of years, hope this is all resolved soon.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are close to graduation, does WGU give you an extra month for the semester like it used to have?

They certainly didn't for me... all I had left was the capstone course and my term ended at the end of July, and I turned in my capstone around Aug 20 I believe. I had to pay the prorated tuition rate for four credit hours. Which in theory could have been useful, as I would have had until Dec 31 to finish, and I could have zeroed out my Ch. 30 GI Bill, clearing the way for Hazlewood Act funds (in Texas, if you enlist there, after you deplete GI Bill funds, you receive 150 hours of tuition/all fees for any Texas public higher education school (TAMU, UT, Texas Tech, etc.)... so if I go back to school it will be very complex sorting out the finances and making it work. I chose to knock it out and be done, in large part so I could attend the WGU Texas graduation ceremony, and was a student speaker at the commencement.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah I didn't get the extra month myself as that was all I needed to complete the G2700 on my MS:ISA. Had to pay my prorated tuition as well, which since you have less CU in the MS programs, ended up to around $1200 or so.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    How much is the prorated tuition rate? I only have 2 classes left and I think I can get them done in a couple weeks, maybe less (but they might not allow me to open up any more classes this semester, so I might have to do those 2 classes next semester).