Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm working on KFT1 now. I need a partner so I can finish up the first 3 tasks. Is anyone currently working on this class or already completed it and can help me? How did everyone else do the partner portions? The instructions for this class are pretty bad.
    @CenturionMario I kept my .txt files in the main folder of the NetBeans project, that way you don't have to enter the full path, only listings.txt. Obviously you can keep the file elswhere and type in the full path.

As far as writing to the overview.txt file its hard to help without seeing some code. In the try block you should have something like:
    BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("file.txt"));
    bw.write("Text here");
    The assignment asks for more than that but that code should write text to your .txt file.

If you need more help PM me and I will try to help you.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So start of term 3 was the beginning of this month, unfortunately with only 3 CU left that puts me below half time and no longer eligible for federal student loans. Which puts me into a bit of a bind as I hadn't planned on the expense, so currently waiting to hear back from my bank on if they can help cover the cost for me. Test is scheduled for Oct. 18th, not sure how i'm going to do on it honestly as i'm not particularly enthusiastic about the situation. Really need to get some motivation, but the subject matter is so dull that it's really difficult. Going to give it my best shot, but this one is up in the air honestly.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Just got awarded the Military Service Scholarship ($2,000 total, $500 each term). Definitely recommend others to apply for scholarships @ WGU as it was a very easy and quick process.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tycar86, check your PMs. Thanks.
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got awarded the Military Service Scholarship ($2,000 total, $500 each term). Definitely recommend others to apply for scholarships @ WGU as it was a very easy and quick process.

Nice, looks like I qualify for everything except the 40 credit transfer requirement. I transferred 34, did you have 40 or more?

WGU must have an extremely laid back work environment, everyone I speak to displays their own personality and doesn't act like a robot like most companies require. My enrollment counselor would cuss here and there but still very professional, my mentor is really chill and gives me straight forward, no BS answers, and doesn't waste anymore time than we need to during our weekly calls. The guy I just talked to in live chat regarding a testing center was typing in all lowercase, using texting slang lol. And this one lady from transcripts loves to shoot the **** and always talks to me about Germany(where I'm stationed), she's a hoot. Some may think it's unprofessional but I think it's pretty awesome that they can act like normal people and still maintain the reputation that they have. It's definitely a unique experience.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Codyy wrote: »
    Nice, looks like I qualify for everything except the 40 credit transfer requirement. I transferred 34, did you have 40 or more?

Good catch, I didn't even realize that was a requirement. I transferred in 82 though.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• almosttherealmostthere Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for some help with KET1 Task 1 if anyone would be so kind!

I have the program mostly complete but am having some trouble passing data into the array and having it read back out correctly in the first part of the output text box.

I have tried incrementing the array in various places (inside of main class and outside) but have not had any luck. The last entered data overwrites the previous data. Also I am not sure if I am printing out the data correctly.

I just need a quick review from someone who really knows what they are doing!

Thanks guys! (also trying to up my post count so that I can PM)
    I've tried rearranging some of the variables for Task 2B (KET1), as well as changing println() to write() but it still doesn't seem to print to the overview text file. I'm pretty much out of ideas, but I won't give up.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    any advice on progressing quickly at WGU? Strategies?

Learn to manage your time. I do best when I set a schedule for myself, usually on a weekly basis.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    tycar86 wrote: »
    Learn to manage your time. I do best when I set a schedule for myself, usually on a weekly basis.

This, this, and more this. I am lucky when work is slow my bosses let me study, they even asked me to take the night shift to give me extra time to study. Even with doing 18+ credits a semester I work full time and I make sure to dedicate a few hours a day to my son, I still try to study around 3-4 hours a day and 6+ on the weekends.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have tried incrementing the array in various places (inside of main class and outside) but have not had any luck. The last entered data overwrites the previous data. Also I am not sure if I am printing out the data correctly.

Curious how you are going about incrementing your array? Your initial array cannot be incremented, of course.

From the documentation: "An array is a container object that holds a fixed number of values of a single type. The length of an array is established when the array is created. After creation, its length is fixed."

That said, I created a 2nd array that incremented the row size by 1 for each entry. Then, I copied the information from the first array into the 2nd and then set the 1st array equal to the 2nd array. This essentially grew my array size by 1 for each user entry.

Not the best approach (that would be to use an arraylist which doesn't have a fixed length), but it worked within the guidelines of the assignment.
    I've tried rearranging some of the variables for Task 2B (KET1), as well as changing println() to write() but it still doesn't seem to print to the overview text file. I'm pretty much out of ideas, but I won't give up.

This is how I handled it (note, this just gives you a hint how it could be done, you'll need to work out how to make it work for you). I left my comments in to explain why I went this route.

/* Buffered print writer created. This is wrapped in a PrintWriter
    * due to some problems I experienced with integers being written as
    * malformed unicode characters.
    */
    PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter(new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("overview.txt")));
    Excellent1: That is almost exactly what I did, except the parameter for the FileWriter() is a File constructor that calls the overview.txt file.
    Did you get it working, then? I know when I started KET/KFT, I had no programming background at all so it was pretty intimidating.
    I've had that statement for a while now. When I click run and enter the listings text file, the program just runs... it doesn't stop (no sign of "build successful"), and nothing is outputted to the overview text file. I have no issue with this in Task 2A, but I don't know why Task 2B is giving me issues.

Something that I recognize is that when I run the program, in the directory/folder where the overview text file is located, it updates to the specific time the program is ran, so the program recognizes that the overview text file is there, but it doesn't output to it.

Edit: Wow, something weird just happened. I placed the BufferedWriter's println method (which includes the "total properties listed" and the property count incremented), and when I ran the program, the text file's size kept increasing dramatically. I had to stop the program immediately to prevent the text file from consuming the computer's memory. Here is my example:

while (line != null){
    propCount++;
    }
    pwOut.println("Total properties listed: " + propCount);
    bfIn.close(); //Doesn't display in the overview text file

while (line != null){
    propCount++;
    }
    bfIn.close(); //The overview text file is leaking out a lot of memory
    while (line != null){
    propCount++;
    }
    bfIn.close(); //The overview text file is leaking out a lot of memory

Looks like your while condition is never returning false. I used:
    while ((line = in.readLine()) != null)
    Excellent1: Wow, thanks for that. I am able to see the output for the property count. I also edited a few things for the property total and the property id numbers, and got the rest to print, although there is still one issue. It is supposed to print:

Total properties listed: 7
    Total value of properties listed: 2120000.00

But I am getting:

Total properties listed: 7
    Total value of properties listed: 2500000.00

I suspect the for loop that I am using is causing this. Although I am not sure why the total is 2500000.00 and not 2120000.00. I'll try correct this, later, when I'm more focused.
    Yeah, something is off in how you're iterating through the arraylist, or you've added the values multiple times to your arraylist. If you want to PM me, I can take a look at your code. I'm no expert in Java, but I've been programming in C# for about a year now--which is similar to Java.

Anyway, I passed these courses in September of 2011, so I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I am also looking for a list of upper classes that essentially pass lower classes like cuv1 does. I emailed my mentor today asking for a list, if noone replies before he does I'll post his reply. He mentioned it to me other day but then backed off of subject, so I am wondering if its only for certain students with a start date after x date.
    Mentor didn't mention cuv1 but did give me more classes that will cover lower ones. i asked to confirm cuv1 for me as well.

CJV1 - Database 1 will give CVV1 – Database Fundamentals

TXC1-Introduction to programming & TXP1 –Project in Introduction to Programing will give DJV1 – Software Development Fundamentals
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    santaowns wrote: »
    Mentor didn't mention cuv1 but did give me more classes that will cover lower ones. i asked to confirm cuv1 for me as well.

CJV1 - Database 1 will give CVV1 – Database Fundamentals

TXC1-Introduction to programming & TXP1 –Project in Introduction to Programing will give DJV1 – Software Development Fundamentals

I don't understand how people are getting this, I've asked my mentor repeatedly and he keeps insisting it's not how it works.
  • milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My mentor mentioned it today. He said it was new, but certain classes will give you a cert which you can then use to bypass the Fundamentals class. He specifically mentioned Networks I as one that would give Net+, that then allows you to skip Network Fundamentals.
    My mentor mentioned it to me a few weeks back and then it was mentioned here. I emailed him for confirmation as I have a ton of classes left and if I am able to lower the amount of classes by even 1 I wanted to find out. I will be taking the four that eliminate lower classes this semester and next semester, which will eliminate the need for 3 other classes. Ill take that any day,
  • allenfeydallenfeyd Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My mentor said there is one case she knows of with the older version of Web Development but not any of the "fundamentals" courses.
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got finished discussing with my enrollment counselor that I was deciding to take another path(Going for a CS degree). I was pleasantly surprised to see that he did not scramble to retain me and instead was pretty much saying that it was a good time in the process for such a decision. Overall, I have been impressed with the whole of my experiences with WGU limited as they have been.
    My experience with the enrollment counselor was not bad at all either. I actually told mine I had to wait a few months before applying and he had no issues. I had 0 certs before starting the process and used my resume to show I would be capable.
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    santaowns wrote: »
    My experience with the enrollment counselor was not bad at all either. I actually told mine I had to wait a few months before applying and he had no issues. I had 0 certs before starting the process and used my resume to show I would be capable.

I was just a bit surprised because I've heard the horror stories of more aggressive online school recruiters. Instead of being asked to re-evaluate my decision or told that their degrees are equitable to a CS degree - the only question I was asked was whether I had found another school.