Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Take the tuition rate and divide it by the fulltime time credit load. For graduate programs, that's 8. $2890 / 8 = 361 and change per credit hour. For me, the capstone was 4 credits so roughly 1444 was my cost. If you are undergrad, use the same math just replace 8 with whatever the full credit load is.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I have a couple of questions. I just applied yesterday. And for those who are applying in the near future there is a code for waiving the application fee. NOV13 gives you a free application.

1.) Does anyone know how Chapter 31 works with WGU?

2.) Transferring credits in. I read that WGU requires a B equivalent. Does that mean any course I got a C in at the traditional brick and mortar schools I attended will not transfer?

3.) How does the learning work? Is it Trainsignal/CBTNugget type videos? Are they WGU made videos?

4.) What hardware is required? Do I only need a PC, or will I need switches/routers and such?

5.) Does WGU give access to MSDN Academic Alliance software licensing?

6.) Other than the industry certification exams, how are you tested? I read about proctored exams via webcam. How does that work? Are books allowed during exams that are proctored in such a manner?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2. Their classes are a B equiv, as far as I know you can transfer Cs in to the school just fine.
    3. Can be either, for the IT cert classes expect commercially available videos like learnkey, CBTNuggets, etc
    4. PC, they'll send you a webcam. For networking stuff you can use simulators, you don't need actual hardware
    5. You get access to premium Dreamspark, which gets you licenses for Windows, Servers, etc
    6. The webcam exams you can not use books, you can't even read the questions aloud, just imagine taking your test like you would in a testing center, and behave the same way at home. If anything I can probably stretch and glance around more in a testing center than you can when being monitored over the webcam. Just assume people will try to **** in any way possible, and they try to eliminate those options.
  • Options
    Any tips or pointers for someone just getting into WGU? I've been reading a lot of threads, but I'm certain I couldn't cover it all without missing something.

To give you some background on me. I have been working on/with computers since back in 1992 when I was in middle school and had to dial the public library to access the internet. I took a programming class in high school that was in C. I joined the Marines right out of high school. I did minor IT work while it not being my MOS. Which led me to want to pursue a degree in IT when I got out. Due to medical issues and what not I didn't start a degree until 2004. I went for a semester and dropped out as I couldn't afford it.

I was finally approved for Chapter 31 when VA Comp/Pen went through in 2008 and started back in school at a local brick and mortar. I currently have about 112 semesters hours. However I am about 15 classes away from a degree at this school as I changed my major a good way through. I was focused on programming just long enough to realize I hated programming and I should stick with the networking side of things.

I got a job in 2010 as an intern at a local MSP. I started doing help desk and quickly was transitioned to project work. I have been there just over 3 years and have been working 50+ hours a week for the last 2. This made me take a break from school. At this point if I did go back I could only take 1 maybe 2 classes, and it isn't a sure thing. I tried in the spring and ended up failing 2 classes because of attendance. I couldn't miss work and the professors didn't care that I was acing the tests.

I have at home my own server set up for testing virtual environments. A certificationkits cisco training kit. As well as the Cisco ICND1/2 Training books from Cisco Press, and the MCITP Enterprise Admin kit. Both are about 8 months old. I just haven't had/made the time to use them. I also an IT University 3 year subscription for all CISCO videos they have, and the CBT Nuggets/Train Signal for Microsoft if I need through work.

Which brings me to WGU. Granted if/when I get accepted by WGU I still need to get the transfer approved by my Vocational Rehabilitation counselor. But I don't foresee that being an issue as long as it wouldn't take me more than a year to finish.

So now that you have a little back ground on me. I have an appointment this evening to speak to the enrollment counselor. I have already submitted my application and requested my transcripts be sent to WGU. I have the links to the admissions tests, but haven't had a chance yet to take them. Though I am not worried at all about that.

Any suggestions of things to do? I.e. requests/info I should get from the EC tonight on the phone? I think I should be prepared with for the phone call?

Once this is over what's the estimated time for acceptance/denial and guesstimate of how long until being able to start schooling?
  • Options
    Start date, I'd guess if everything else fell into place quickly, 1/1/14.

As for advice, it sounds like time is an issue for you, and has been in the past. You're going to have to dedicate time and you won't have a teacher pushing you or a schedule to follow. Just be honest with yourself, if you know you won't spend 15-20+ more hours a week on studying then it might not be a great setup for you.
  • Options
    Time isn't the issue. I can definitely allot 10-20 hours per week. The problem with school was having to leave work EXACTLY at 5 to make it to class by 530. And then sit in class from 530 until 10 pm 4 nights a week. That required then spending 2-3 hours a night the other 3 nights a week working on homework. Issues come up at work where I have to work late, or work into the night. Going to a traditional school as I stated makes getting to class an issue in those instances. I have Sundays to myself every week. I can and often do spend 10 hours Sunday(until football season started) researching or learning things related to work. I can definitely make the time investment if it's on my own terms.
  • Options
    tescosamoatescosamoa Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wrapping up my first class WFV1. Just waiting for approval to book the exam. Next up CLC1 So far I am enjoying the school. Been getting 20 to 30 hours in a week. Which is good.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well only five courses left to go. I've had some personal issues that caused a bit of a delay but I've managed to keep my SAP up and stay in good standing. LAT1 has really been an issue for me for some reason so I'm putting LAT1/LUT1 on hold and focusing on TWA1 and CWP3. I've got the release signed and I think I will use our WSUS implementation, I think it should be a good subject.

The end is in sight! :D
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    If anyone is curious, WGU credit transfers to UMUC (I decided to go for Computer Science instead of IT)
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I do wish WGU had a BSCS program. Shame UMUC is so slow/expensive. I wonder how much it would cost to turn an almost-degree from WGU into a BSCS from UMUC..
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Well I'm using the GI Bill, the out of state tuition is steep though yeah. They accepted all my WGU credits and a bunch of random Air Force crap which counted for 30% of the credit requirement.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any MSISA students following this thread? I am setting up my AAV for my first term and I am trying to understand why they recommend Cyberlaw in between Hacking Countermeasures and Ethical Hacking. Don't the two hacking courses use the same CEH learning resources? I would assume it would be better to take these back to back.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1st term ends tomorrow for BS IT: Network Admin. Transferred in 55 CUs. Completed 43 CUs this term. 22CUs left to go.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @nerdinhiding - which CUs did you complete this term?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Term 1 | June 1, 2013 to November 30, 2013

Total CU: 43
    Good

Education Without Boundaries Orientation - ORA1
    P
    Foundations of College Mathematics - AGC1
    O
    Communications Foundations - BBC1
    O
    Reasoning and Problem Solving - CLC1
    O
    IT Fundamentals I - WFV1
    O
    Language and Communication: Essay - LAE1
    P
    Language and Communication: Presentation - LUT1
    P
    Project in Web Development Fundamentals - EUP1
    P
    Web Development Fundamentals - EUC1
    O
    Web Technologies - CUV1
    O
    Web Programming - BOV1
    O
    Finite Mathematics - GAC1
    O
    Finite Mathematics Applications - HHT1
    P
    Geography - BVC1
    O
    Organizational Behavior and Leadership - BNC1
    O
    Principles of Management - MGC1
    O
    Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications - QLT1
    P
  • Options
    My AAV is setup for my first term. I will be taking Cryptography, Ethical Hacking, Vulnerability Assessment and Risk Management. Hopefully, I will be able to also knock out something else by the end of the term.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @nerdinhiding - Wow that's quite a list!! Congrats.

I really need to step up my 1st term but my mentor wouldn't open up my voucher until i'd completed E..v...e...r...y.....t....h....i...n...g!!!!!!! in testout.

Kind of annoying, I was hoping to have completed IT foundation II in 1 week, not 4!
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed the CHFI v8 exam this past afternoon. FMV2 is now complete.

EDIT: I will attempt to tackle FYT2 and FYV2 concurrently. I will also study for exam 70-450. I need to pass this exam by the end of January to (finally) complete my MCITP. I have 3 months to accomplish all of this. As long as I stay focused it shouldn't be a problem.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    amcnow wrote: »
    I passed the CHFI v8 exam this past afternoon. FMV2 is now complete.

EDIT: I will attempt to tackle FYT2 and FYV2 concurrently. I will also study for exam 70-450. I need to pass this exam by the end of January to (finally) complete my MCITP. I have 3 months to accomplish all of this. As long as I stay focused it shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats! How long did CEH and CHFI take you to complete?
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    @EngRob Thank you. My Mentor is pretty laid back. I am working on INC1 now (Science). It is interesting, my only complaint is it is ALOT of information. Tons of different science subjects. It should have been split into two courses IMO. I have reached that point when tiredness and burn out set in, but as close as I am getting I try to keep pushing forward at the same pace. I hope to go for a MS in the future. Whether I will start it immediately after this degree is completed or not remains to be seen.
  • Options
    @Nobylspoon - Thanks. I dealt with some family issues (siblings) during the majority of the year. So it took me longer than expected to study for CEH and CHFI. I spent a couple of months on each. I didn't spend too much time with uCertify because I'm just not a fan. I did use the other resources provided by WGU. Thankfully, I passed both on my first attempts.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • Options
    amcnow wrote: »
    @Nobylspoon - Thanks. I dealt with some family issues (siblings) during the majority of the year. So it took me longer than expected to study for CEH and CHFI. I spent a couple of months on each. I didn't spend too much time with uCertify because I'm just not a fan. I did use the other resources provided by WGU. Thankfully, I passed both on my first attempts.

Yeah, I rarely used uCertify when I did my BS:IT degree. I have signed up to take CEH this term and CHFI next term. My occupation is a pentester so I don't think the CEH exam will be too hard for me but I always get nervous when I have a cert related course at the end of a term, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    You shouldn't even bother with nervousness. As long as you put in some study time, you'll do just fine.
    Aristotle wrote:
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I do wish WGU had a BSCS program. Shame UMUC is so slow/expensive. I wonder how much it would cost to turn an almost-degree from WGU into a BSCS from UMUC..

I got my first Bachelor's from UMUC. I thought it was worth it. If you care about the journey, the learning experience, participating with a group of students (though obviously not the same level as a class) then UMUC is a good school.

I took courses there back when they were 16 and 12-week long semesters (ugh).

But if you're just trying to get that paper (deegree) and some certs along with the way then WGU is definitely the preferred option, since it'll take a lot less time.

So does anyone know the time table of when WGU will add the CASP to the MSISA degree plan?
  • Options
    Any of you do the JIT2 bootcamp? I just registered for the next one.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    manifest3rmanifest3r Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! A little introduction, I'm 23 working as a Jr. Admin. I'm excited to continue my education at WGU. I submitted my financial aid, sent over my transcripts and going to do my assessment tests tomorrow.*

I'm planning on doing BS: Network Administration, however I feel intimidated by the CCNA exams. I took the Cisco Academy course a couple years ago, but I've retained very little of what I learned. Would it be better to go with BS:IT then take the CCNA and MCSA: Server 2008 on my own dime?

I really want to excel in Cisco because I think it'll really open up prospective job offers in the future. I guess I just don't want to set myself up for failure (I've had enough of that!)
  • Options
    manifest3r wrote: »
    Hey guys! A little introduction, I'm 23 working as a Jr. Admin. I'm excited to continue my education at WGU. I submitted my financial aid, sent over my transcripts and going to do my assessment tests tomorrow.*

I'm planning on doing BS: Network Administration, however I feel intimidated by the CCNA exams. I took the Cisco Academy course a couple years ago, but I've retained very little of what I learned. Would it be better to go with BS:IT then take the CCNA and MCSA: Server 2008 on my own dime?

I really want to excel in Cisco because I think it'll really open up prospective job offers in the future. I guess I just don't want to set myself up for failure (I've had enough of that!)

Speaking as someone who went the Network Design & Management route, I wish I would have done the Network Admin focus instead. M$ is too inconsistent in the way they handle their certifications and it really devalues them due to a lot of HR filters not knowing what to really look for regarding an applicant with Server certifications.

If they would have stuck to the original MCSE/MCSA, there would be no issues but when they changed to MCITP, it took several years for HR to know what that was and seek applicants with it. Now that they were finally starting to do so, M$ has reverted back to the old acronyms but now calling them something different. I personally feel like a lot of time was wasted obtaining an MCITP:EA because of this.

I still haven't taken a Cisco exam but I will be doing so next term as it is a Master's requirement. I'm not really sure how far I want to pursue the Cisco path but I am looking forward to beginning on it.

One thing to keep in mind, it doesn't matter what your focus is regarding the BS:IT. All of them grant you the same degree since the focus is not listed on it.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Interesting, so if I were to put my degree on my resume I wouldn't say BS:IT with focus in network administration?

I totally agree with you with Microsoft always changing the names on their certifications. I really with they were more consistent. It is what it is I guess. I would love to do BS:IT, but I still want the MCSA, so that's why I think network administration is the best fit for me.
  • Options
    manifest3r wrote: »
    Interesting, so if I were to put my degree on my resume I wouldn't say BS:IT with focus in network administration?
    Correct. Are you planning on bringing your diploma to job interviews? I just list mine as BS in IT, Security focus, or however you want to read it. If they want to call the school to verify, that is legit, but the actual diploma will say BS in IT
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Correct. Are you planning on bringing your diploma to job interviews? I just list mine as BS in IT, Security focus, or however you want to read it. If they want to call the school to verify, that is legit, but the actual diploma will say BS in IT

No I will not be planning on bringing the diploma to job interviews. Thank you for the clarification :)

I can't wait to get started!