Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    earweed wrote: »
    2 or 3 hours. More on weekends unless I'm working that weekend.

Thank you for the info.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for the info.

20 hours a week (and mind you that's 4 hours Monday-Friday) and more on weekends is very doable. If you are a family man, that gives you time to spend with the wife/kids for an hour or two and then you can spend your 4 hours on your studies. If it's something easy, like say LAE1, you can focus all of your time on that to be done by the week. (You not only want to write the essay, but make sure it's written properly, APA formatted, etc, and you'll spend most of your time making sure you're writing it "correctly")

The weekends are even great. If you're not working/busy (in my case, the weekends just became consumed with other things during the last couple of weeks...prior to that, not so much), you can get a lot of studying, writing, test prepping done.

What is great about WGU, is that I have yet to use "work" time to do any WGU (other than fixing a revision, but that only took 5-15 minutes with wifey finding the proper document and emailing it to me...when you do something like LAT1, you get into the habit of saving drafts every 5-10 minutes and in different file names...I had submitted the wrong file...lol). Aside from that, work and WGU has yet to collide so far. My only issues and I'll try to see how I work with them, are my MS certs...those are without fail my only bottlenecks, but I will hopefully get through them.

It's doable...you'll really be surprised. :)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It's doable...you'll really be surprised. :)

Thank you. I graduate from a local CC here in December, and I plan to immediately to try and start at WGU.
    *Another Question* What track do most people decide to go with? I am wanting a career in networking whether it be in the Security side of things or the Admin side.

The track I was considering was the Networking Design and Management. I also considered the security track, but I figured it was to granular.

Any info is appreciated - Thanks!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Security is basically the generic IT major with the 2 Cisco certs thrown in. NDM you do the MCITP:EA and you don't take database, site design, and Java programming. If you are still early in your career the generic IT or security would probably be the best route to go. If you're a little further along then I'd recommend NDM or even just Network Administration (like NDM but you only do MCITP:SA)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    If you're a little further along then I'd recommend NDM or even just Network Administration (like NDM but you only do MCITP:SA)

I am not for a long, but I am certain that I want to get into networking.
    *Another Question* What track do most people decide to go with? I am wanting a career in networking whether it be in the Security side of things or the Admin side.

The track I was considering was the Networking Design and Management. I also considered the security track, but I figured it was to granular.

Any info is appreciated - Thanks!

This is one of those "it depends on you" type of things. I can't tell you that you should go with Network Design and Management, but I can tell you why I went with Networking Design and Management.

When looking at WGU (and other online colleges, as I have done every other year...lol), I looked at all the majors. I was initially into the Business degree with IT emphasis, but I ruled it out, as I figured if I want business in my educational background, I'd be better off with an MBA or MS in IT Management. That would look much stronger than a BS in Business (IMO). I then looked at the IT degrees. I initially was drawn to both Security and Databases. Either of those would have been great for me, but the CCNA really put me off (labbing for it would be an electricity killer, and I've never been a fan of simulators), and going into Oracle databases would have really been a pain. (Even though that a good number of databases running PeopleSoft are on a Oracle platform...and that would have translated into more money, it would have been too much for me). So the next degrees I looked at was just the general IT degree, the Network Admin and the Network Design and Management. For me having over 13 years of experience, the general IT degree was out of the question. The Network Admin degree I saw as a step down from the Network Design and Management degree (an MCITP:SA vs. MCITP:EA) and the NDM emphasis allowed me to kill two birds with one stone [a real bachelor's degree AND a MCSE-like cert]. Plus, I like that it had "management" in the title of that emphasis, as that's really what I'm shooting for after I graduate WGU (either at my job, or elsewhere).

That's why I chose it. Maybe you want to do Security, maybe the Admin track is good. Perhaps you want to be a generalist and go the regular IT route (which I have no qualms in saying it is has value if you have no practical experience). Or even NDM, but the point is...it's what YOU want to do.

What works for me (or others) may not work for you, and vice versa.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I came into WGU knowing that some bullcrap was going to occur...just didn't know what or when, but some bullcrap (story of my life and everyone else...lol). My plan then is my plan now...deal with it for x amount of time, and then move on to finish WGU in the frame of time I wanted to...by 2012 or sooner. :)

Yeah, I was a little too optimistic when I signed up, but you're right-- stuff happens.

I still did 28 CUs the first term and I should wrap up this term, so I oughta be happy.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Thank you. I graduate from a local CC here in December, and I plan to immediately to try and start at WGU.

Good plan. Even before WGU made their admissions changes, I would have said the best route would've been to transfer in with an Associate's.
    --Will Rogers
    sthompson86,

Are you coming to WGU with an A.S or an A.A.S?
    sthompson86,

Are you coming to WGU with an A.S or an A.A.S?

A.A.S in Computer Technology
    A.A.S in Computer Technology

I know the certs will get you a good number of CUs, but the AAS you might not transfer in a lot of credits. Just something you want to keep in mind. I don't know if the changes in Admissions applies to that or not.

Just a heads up.
    I know the certs will get you a good number of CUs, but the AAS you might not transfer in a lot of credits. Just something you want to keep in mind. I don't know if the changes in Admissions applies to that or not.

Just a heads up.

Yea, I know for a fact that I will have to take a lot of academic classes like Eng Comp 2 - College Algebra etc.

Nonetheless, why will it not transfer ( not worried,just curious )

_ thanks
    Yea, I know for a fact that I will have to take a lot of academic classes like Eng Comp 2 - College Algebra etc.

Nonetheless, why will it not transfer ( not worried,just curious )

_ thanks

From my understanding, an AAS is considered a professional degree. You had more classes in your profession than you did in liberal arts. An AS, on the other hand, would have had liberal arts classes (your English, math, psych, etc) and your gen-eds would have been good to go.

If I were you, you may be better off just going through WGU for your gen-eds. You might have people in your immediate sphere/circle who could help you bang them out (not to mention us at TE...I don't think there is one class WGU offers that HASN'T been taken by a TE'er...).

Another thing you have to consider is that the programs tend to change within the span of a year or two. Ask earweed and others, they've already seen some classes taken away, or added in. You might be working on a general ed class outside of WGU that might not be needed next year. You may be better of just dealing with WGU as soon as possible is you want the BS. Then just knock out what you need to knock out.
    From my understanding, an AAS is considered a professional degree. You had more classes in your profession than you did in liberal arts. An AS, on the other hand, would have had liberal arts classes (your English, math, psych, etc) and your gen-eds would have been good to go.

If I were you, you may be better off just going through WGU for your gen-eds. You might have people in your immediate sphere/circle who could help you bang them out (not to mention us at TE...I don't think there is one class WGU offers that HASN'T been taken by a TE'er...).

Yea you are right about the A.A.S, for I did not have to take hardly any GEN-ED classes.

I was thinking about taking all my GEN-ED at the local CC where I am attending now, but I take it you recommend jumping and doing all that at WGU?

- Thanks for your help! I have tried to talk to people at WGU about this stuff but they are programmed like robotics..
    Yea you are right about the A.A.S, for I did not have to take hardly any GEN-ED classes.

I was thinking about taking all my GEN-ED at the local CC where I am attending now, but I take it you recommend jumping and doing all that at WGU?

- Thanks for your help! I have tried to talk to people at WGU about this stuff but they are programmed like robotics..

Enrollment counselors are tools. (At least the one I dealt with was...) Most of them seem to be the same way.

Yeah, I do recommend that you do all of that at WGU. Assuming you are a self-motivated individual, you will probably save both time AND money doing it at WGU. That's really going to depend on you as a person though.

You are the best person who can tell you if you can do 3-5 classes a month (irrespective of CUs). Or is beer/chicks/other more important? Only you know for sure.
    You are the best person who can tell you if you can do 3-5 classes a month (irrespective of CUs). Or is beer/chicks/other more important? Only you know for sure.

LOL you are talking to the boring 24 year old married man that sits at home on the weekends glued to a cert book or on a computer trying learn some new skills. No worries here about not getting the job done.

Given that I will be working full time ( I hope ) how many classes do you recommend I register for?

Thanks once again.
    LOL you are talking to the boring 24 year old married man that sits at home on the weekends glued to a cert book or on a computer trying learn some new skills. No worries here about not getting the job done.

Given that I will be working full time ( I hope ) how many classes do you recommend I register for?

Thanks once again.

If you're working a regular 9-5, maybe a 20-40 minute commute each way, then you got maybe an hour or two to spend with the wife with dinner and such...you could start 4-5 hours beginning at 8-9.

My first 12 CUs was done in 26 days. Writing an essay, taking an english exam, EWB (WGU's orientation course that's banged out in 5-7 hours) and Security+ (that's how I can remember 26 days...cause I passed on 8/26... :) ). Mind you, Sec+ I had studied for awhile, off and on, but I really got into it in August and was and felt ready. It's all about what you're comfortable doing, but keep in mind much of this was probably done when you were in HS.

Just pick your 3-4 classes that equal 12CUs that you feel you can knock out first....once you are comfortable with those, you can add more as needed.
    If you're working a regular 9-5, maybe a 20-40 minute commute each way, then you got maybe an hour or two to spend with the wife with dinner and such...you could start 4-5 hours beginning at 8-9.

My first 12 CUs was done in 26 days. Writing an essay, taking an english exam, EWB (WGU's orientation course that's banged out in 5-7 hours) and Security+ (that's how I can remember 26 days...cause I passed on 8/26... :) ). Mind you, Sec+ I had studied for awhile, off and on, but I really got into it in August and was and felt ready. It's all about what you're comfortable doing, but keep in mind much of this was probably done when you were in HS.

Just pick your 3-4 classes that equal 12CUs that you feel you can knock out first....once you are comfortable with those, you can add more as needed.

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to getting started, and thank you for your help.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I see a lot of controversy out there about how they are/are not accredited according to this place or that place. :\
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I see a lot of controversy out there about how they are/are not accredited according to this place or that place. :\

Examples?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology

Nonsense. You're probably reading a lot of BS being slung about on various web sites/discussion boards. The most definitive resource is the CHEA's certified programs database.

http://www.chea.org/search/search.asp

Which says this about WGU:
    Institutional Accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), . Please click on the accrediting organization link for the specific dates of the accreditation.

Institutional Accreditation by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), . Please click on the accrediting organization link for the specific dates of the accreditation.

I also see miscellaneous trolls popping up on various websites to diss various specific programs. You wouldn't happen to be one of those?
    --Will Rogers
    Every masters program I've inquired about (none of the Ivy league or really hard to get into schools) and once they find out WGU is accreditted there is never any other question if I can get in except those that require me to take a test and pass, those schools wont accept you from a non accreditted school period and then you still have to make their cutoff score on a test. The only question about WGU is about is it accreditted and theanswer is YES.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    petedude wrote: »
    Nonsense. You're probably reading a lot of BS being slung about on various web sites/discussion boards. The most definitive resource is the CHEA's certified programs database.

http://www.chea.org/search/search.asp

Which says this about WGU:

I also see miscellaneous trolls popping up on various websites to diss various specific programs. You wouldn't happen to be one of those?

So in your defensive rage you think they're all just liars or trolls? Speaking of which, I am going to try and ignore the fact you just accused me of being one.

Overall without a doubt they look better than most out there.
    So in your defensive rage you think they're all just liars or trolls? Speaking of which, I am going to try and ignore the fact you just accused me of being one.

Overall without a doubt they look better than most out there.

With respect, Steve, how is petedude's use of the word "nonsense" a part of his "defensive rage"? I saw nothing in his response that indicated anger. In fact, he was able to produce evidence that WGU is an accredited university.

Meanwhile, you have not produced any source (credible or otherwise) that would indicate WGU is not accredited.

Friendly advice, that you will hopefully take as NOT full of rage...

If you are going to write something like this:
    at the very least have the courtesy of providing the source so that others can decide if it's credible. Petedude's source is certainly considered credible because it's from the CHEA. By you not providing a source after writing something like that without citing, you can give yourself the appearance of acting in a trll-like manner (why is that word blocked for me?!).

I have no problems though giving you the benefit of the doubt that you probably did not intend for that. :)
    With respect, Steve, how is petedude's use of the word "nonsense" a part of his "defensive rage"? I saw nothing in his response that indicated anger. In fact, he was able to produce evidence that WGU is an accredited university.

Meanwhile, you have not produced any source (credible or otherwise) that would indicate WGU is not accredited.

Friendly advice, that you will hopefully take as NOT full of rage...

If you are going to write something like this:
    at the very least have the courtesy of providing the source so that others can decide if it's credible. Petedude's source is certainly considered credible because it's from the CHEA. By you not providing a source after writing something like that without citing, you can give yourself the appearance of acting in a trll-like manner (why is that word blocked for me?!).

I have no problems though giving you the benefit of the doubt that you probably did not intend for that. :)

Valid points. The site I saw was some kind of online college review site. But not guidetoonlineschools.com. Was also on another computer I was on at the time. Had a huge, but simple list of school names with a yellow star rating system. And like I said, it seemed like a lot of back and forth regarding the issue. Obviously contrary to what's already known with regards to their accreditation.
    Valid points. The site I saw was some kind of online college review site. But not guidetoonlineschools.com. Was also on another computer I was on at the time. Had a huge, but simple list of school names with a yellow star rating system. And like I said, it seemed like a lot of back and forth regarding the issue. Obviously contrary to what's already known with regards to their accreditation.

Quite probably Online Degree Reviews Written by Students. I see people tearing down other schools all the time there, and often get the impression these doubters are employees of other schools' admissions offices. The worst pages are for NA schools, e.g. Aspen and Columbia Southern. Trolls pop in and totally rip on NA degrees as if they're worth less than toilet paper, which is simply not the case.

Back to WGU, there are occasionally unsubstantiated claims posted there that WGU does not have appropriate accreditation. I think these are being posted by people who work for other online schools who are afraid WGU will eat their lunch (and rightfully so).
    --Will Rogers
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Something is up with WGU today... Went to portal and got a screen asking me to setup the default configuration for the OSSO Java System. The site has full root access... Someone is going to be in big trouble. I just left it alone and closed the page. Anyone else getting this?
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    It actually worked right for me today. Usually it just takes me to the OSSO timed out page and wont take me to the login page (except during the early morning hours)
  • JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Something is up with WGU today... Went to portal and got a screen asking me to setup the default configuration for the OSSO Java System. The site has full root access... Someone is going to be in big trouble. I just left it alone and closed the page. Anyone else getting this?
    I couldn't get in a little earlier today. I only got a message stating that the service was down and would be back up in 15 to 20 minutes. I logged in shortly thereafter with no problems.
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3