Options

CCIE R&S study group forming

NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
A lot of us are finishing out CCNPs at the same time due to the July cut-off date. Since there seems to be a bit of interest in getting a CCIE R&S study group going I thought I'd ask here who else would like to join.

Reasons to join:
  • You could be part of the select few (less than 1% of network professionals) who obtain a CCIE.
  • Once you have obtained your digits you will need a larger office that can contain your awesomeness.
  • This is a long, hard journey - you will need someone to encourage you when you feel like giving up.
  • If you get stuck on your studies, someone in the group probably has a better knowledge of the subject than you and can help you understand.
  • If you are *VERY* serious about this we can probably get group discounts from INE, IPexpert, etc if we attend class or practice lab together.

I'm going ahead full force with mine. The goal is to be ready for the mach lab by December-February and take the real lab two weeks after that.

So...who's with me.

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I just looked and the IPexpert workbooks (all 3 bundled) are 1000 bucks.

I can get a 3560 for that price!

but on topic, I'll join. I think I'm ready to attempt to slay the beast.
  • Options
    I just looked and the IPexpert workbooks (all 3 bundled) are 1000 bucks.

I can get a 3560 for that price!

but on topic, I'll join. I think I'm ready to attempt to slay the beast.

Sweet, welcome aboard. There is punch and pie in the corner.

Yeah, the training material is very expensive. I'm looking at it as an investment though. I'll probably end up spending $5-10k before I'm all done. I'd rather spend money on training and know I'll pass than keep **** money away on travel + lab fees.
  • Options
    morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also interested in joining the group. However, I am not a CCNP yet, I will be starting my CCNP journey in July. I am sure I will learn a lot from the CCNP bunch and contribute whenever I can. This will be a short term goal for me while shooting for the CCIE in the not so distant future.

Nuul wrote: »
    A lot of us are finishing out CCNPs at the same time due to the July cut-off date. Since there seems to be a bit of interest in getting a CCIE R&S study group going I thought I'd ask here who else would like to join.

Reasons to join:
    • You could be part of the select few (less than 1% of network professionals) who obtain a CCIE.
    • Once you have obtained your digits you will need a larger office that can contain your awesomeness.
    • This is a long, hard journey - you will need someone to encourage you when you feel like giving up.
    • If you get stuck on your studies, someone in the group probably has a better knowledge of the subject than you and can help you understand.
    • If you are *VERY* serious about this we can probably get group discounts from INE, IPexpert, etc if we attend class or practice lab together.

I'm going ahead full force with mine. The goal is to be ready for the mach lab by December-February and take the real lab two weeks after that.

So...who's with me.
    MCITP : Enterprise Administrator
    MCITP : Server Administrator
    CCNA : Cisco Certified Network Associate
    ITIL V3 Foundation
    CompTIA : A+, Network+, Security+, Server+

Currently working on Cisco Certified Network Professional CCNP's ROUTE Exam.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can count me on board. I am doing my CCNP track now. I like to be finish with two exams by the summer.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd like to be apart of this although I am not a NP yet. My new job role makes the NA:Voice and NP likely for me in the not to distant future. IF I could get done with at least the stuff in my sig and route, I would be very happy. Any more and I will be icon_cheers.gif I won't be going back to school until January so I may be underestimating myself.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'm interested, of course lol. If you guys are serious, make a Google group. We can share notes, diags, etc, and also have a mailing list. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    I was thinking about google groups, or some sort of CMS, like drupal or joomla. I dunno if anyone has webserver access, but I have a couple buddy's that said I could use theirs.
  • Options
    I was thinking about google groups, or some sort of CMS, like drupal or joomla. I dunno if anyone has webserver access, but I have a couple buddy's that said I could use theirs.

In my experience, things like this need to be as simple as possible, especially in the beginning. Otherwise nothing will happen. Again, just my experience/opinion.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Why not just join GroupStudy no?
  • Options
    Most of us are on GroupStudy, I'm sure. I wouldn't mind a tighter-knit group though. Less spam too, lol.
  • Options
    ArmageddonArmageddon Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what are the requirements to join this study group?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would like to join as well. My friend that is a CCIE said he would be willing to moderate the study group to get us all pointed and going in the right direction and help us along the way! icon_thumright.gif He said he would be able to use Dimdim Web Meeting to moderator the learning sessions!
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Most of us are on GroupStudy, I'm sure. I wouldn't mind a tighter-knit group though. Less spam too, lol.

Ok I see...I'm on GS as well, not the CCIE though, just the regular professional networkers group.....

I think this is a good idea, smaller groups, less "anonymous" people just joining....
  • Options
    I think this is a good idea, smaller groups, less "anonymous" people just joining....

Exactly. The problem I've had with the mailing lists is that random people show up, ask the same question that's been asked 100 times before and never really contribute anything. I was thinking if we had a small (10 or so) group that is dedicated to getting their digits we can benefit from each others experience. I like the idea of bill's IE friend dropping in from time to time to check on us and move things along.

I'm starting my VoD from IPE on Monday. I'll probably be through those in a week or two and start working on the labs after that. I'm going to price out some training pretty soon too.
  • Options
    Exactly. The problem I've had with the mailing lists is that random people show up, ask the same question that's been asked 100 times before and never really contribute anything. I was thinking if we had a small (10 or so) group that is dedicated to getting their digits we can benefit from each others experience. I like the idea of bill's IE friend dropping in from time to time to check on us and move things along.

I'm starting my VoD from IPE on Monday. I'll probably be through those in a week or two and start working on the labs after that. I'm going to price out some training pretty soon too.

What was your rationale for going with IPE, rather than INE?

Also why are the workbooks like $500 a piece....just crazy!
  • Options
    What was your rationale for going with IPE, rather than INE?

They have passed the most CCIEs, that was my main reason. At the time I bought my blended learning solution (USB HD with videos and PDFs on it) it was cheaper than it is now too. I'll definitely be using them for a mach lab as I get closer to my lab date. I'll still shop around though for classes, etc. One of my reasons for wanting to get a group together is the group discount at the training vendors. Nearly all of them offer study buddy discounts...and it's pretty substantial.
  • Options
    Is it possible to verify any of these training vendors actually have CCIE's that have passed the new exams?
  • Options
    CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    I would join in but my plans are to finish my bachelors once I get the CCNP. Good luck to you all.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'll see how cash is for training materials, I wouldn't expect to be looking at this until at least the end of the year though, which may miss the boat a bit on this.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    add me to the list:)
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Yeah, it's possible to verify if you really want to take the time. If you go to the vendor's "hall of fame" they will post the name and number of the person who passed. The big vendors won't risk their reputation by putting people who didn't use their materials on their site. Bubbajoebobs discount ccie shop might though.
  • Options
    My concern about this list as of today is that it looks like there are a lot of people interested in it but not exactly ready for the CCIE.

So participation would really be mainly eavesdropping like if I were to join myself.

The question is, how many are interested that are actually in the process or just about ready to begin studying for CCIE R&S?
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to join but I don't want to spend my spare money for INE training (plus the misc fees - airfare, lodging, food, and etc), 3 x 1800s or 2800s, 2 x 3560, and cables because we still don't know if the company we work for is keeping us or not! *sighs*
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    My concern about this list as of today is that it looks like there are a lot of people interested in it but not exactly ready for the CCIE.

So participation would really be mainly eavesdropping like if I were to join myself.

The question is, how many are interested that are actually in the process or just about ready to begin studying for CCIE R&S?

I should be getting the CCNP in the next couple weeks. Then I can start studying for the beast.

However, I'll only be buying the workbooks from either INE, or IPE. I'll go with one of them and build a lab around it.

If I'm not getting anywhere I might think of the classes or something.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm always down for some studying. I should be finishing up the CCIP shortly and then back to the CCIE if I can make the time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    it's possible to verify if you really want to take the time.
    Some vendors like INE only post your name and number after you send your information and ask to be listed -- and not everyone wants personally identifiable information posted on the Internet.

Other vendors post anyone they can track down by email address and list them whether their materials were useful and/or instrumental in passing the Lab or not.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options

Personally, I don't care who joins. Obviously it would be best to have at least a few people who are really working on the IE, but I don't think it'd be horrible to also have people working towards the NP/IP.

Someone needs to make the group so we can start moving.
  • Options
    Hmm perhaps my initial question was confusing regarding verifying...

What I meant was, is it possible to know that these vendors themselves have passed the latest and greatest CCIE exam? Not the students...

It would be horrible if you're being taught my a CCIE who hasn't taken an exam since 2001 for example...

Or for vendors to claim they can help you pass the latest exam, yet they don't even have any instructors who have taken the latest and passed...

That's what I meant.....
  • Options
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Personally, I don't care who joins. Obviously it would be best to have at least a few people who are really working on the IE, but I don't think it'd be horrible to also have people working towards the NP/IP.

Someone needs to make the group so we can start moving.

Well if that is the case then you can count me in. I'm always looking for a few good men.... :D
  • Options
    Well if that is the case then you can count me in. I'm always looking for a few good men.... :D

That's just my opinion though. The other interested parties may feel different.