Options

File sharing

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »

Are you being serious?

Wifi upstairs = wifi downstairs = wifi throughout your whole house. The wireless signal doesn't choose which rooms to be in....

Not if he has crazy walls or other interferences or if downstairs really means in a basement. Try a repeater or making that second router a repeater. Or powerline networking

HowStuffWorks "How Power-line Networking Works"
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Lee H wrote: »
    i supose i could replace the 2nd router with a switch but i do want wifi upstairs aswell as one downstairs

when i try to change the IP of the TP router i get the following error

Error code: 5008
    WAN IP address and LAN IP address cannot be in a same subnet. Please input another IP address.

Can you change the WAN port to 192.168.1.1 and leave the LAN port as 192.168.0.1 and have all LAN machines on 192.168.0.0/24 network?

Silly question maybe, but are you trying to connect to the windows 7 box by name or ip?
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i am struggling with this one, cant seem to make the router act as just a switch

i cant disable dhcp cos after a reboot the pc plugged into it loses all connections

i cant give it a static ip as i get the following message

"Error code: 5008
    WAN IP address and LAN IP address cannot be in a same subnet. Please input another IP address."

I knew all along that there would be a switch in this room, i have just finished making a cupboard for 4 PC's, i opted for a wireless router as my house is pre war and all solid walls

regardless of what kit i have this should be possible i can get internet on the xp machine but its totally blocked from my win7 pc
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    You should be able to change the LAN IP on the TP router. This router isn't connected to the WAN so it shouldn't have an IP configured to it?
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Ok lets review here:

You have this

Router 1:
    192.168.1.1 /24
    PC 1 (win7) 192.168.1.X

Router 2:
    192.168.0.1 /24
    Pc 2 (winxp) 192.168.0.X

If you want to want to make this work, you want this:

Router 1:
    192.168.1.1 /24
    PC 1 (win7) 192.168.1.X

Router 2:
    192.168.1.2 /24
    Pc 2 (winxp) 192.168.1.X

If you post what type of routers you are using, I'm sure we can figure this out.
  • Options
    gateway wrote: »
    You should be able to change the LAN IP on the TP router. This router isn't connected to the WAN so it shouldn't have an IP configured to it?

I can only change the LAN IP as long as the third octet stays 1

My WAN ip is dynamic, the third octet of this also cannot be changed from 0 to 1 or i get same message, LAN and WAN cannot be in same subnet
  • Options

My WAN ip is dynamic, the third octet of this also cannot be changed from 0 to 1 or i get same message, LAN and WAN cannot be in same subnet

What type of router are you using?
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□

Maybe you need to flash that annoying router with firmware from www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router, the firmware phoeneous is using.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    What type of router are you using?

D-LINK DIR-615 downstairs with Win7 client

TP-LINK TL-WR740N Upstairs with XP client connected

• Options
    So I'm reading the manual of this thing on the bottom of this page:
    Download

And I have to say, this thing looks pretty weak. I know you can do this on any linksys and netgear but it doesn't do a good job of showing the gui. DD_WRT for the win like P said lol.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Routers usually have a 4 port switch with a internet connection port. Bypass the internet connection port, plug both sides into the 4 port swich, kill NAT and DHCP on the router and it should be a switch.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    Maybe you need to flash that annoying router with firmware from www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router, the firmware phoeneous is using.

I have never tried to change firmware on my routers. Is there any danger to doing this? What if it mucks things up and I want the default firmware, is that easy to stick back on it?
  • Options
    Gonna try to change the downstairs IP to 192.168.1.104 see what happens

Think I paid about £17 for it, lol

My Dlink is off Virgin Media
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I have never tried to change firmware on my routers. Is there any danger to doing this? What if it mucks things up and I want the default firmware, is that easy to stick back on it?

Here is the router compatibility page to see if it's safe to work for your particular router:

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

For your second question I would assume that you could, but I would ask phoeneous as I have never done it myself.
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    Here is the router compatibility page to see if it's safe to work for your particular router:

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

For your second question I would assume that you could, but I would ask phoeneous as I have never done it myself.

I have a couple older Linksys routers lying around, I might have to sit down and have a weekened project sometime.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Sure is. Just make a backup of your factory firmware. ddwrt has soooo many features! Ive had my linksys wrtg flashed for years.
  • Options
    Now all we need is an all-in-one BIOS firmware for OEM machines, locked-down OEM BIOS is an Abomination!
  • Options
    Hi

Does anyone have any idea why i cannot have my LAN IP in same subnet as my WAN IP

LAN
    MAC Address:
    00-27-19-FF-43-FA
    IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:

WAN
    MAC Address: 00-27-19-FF-43-FB
    IP Address: 192.168.0.102 Dynamic IP
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 , 0.0.0.0

The WAN i on Dynamic IP, and i can change it to static

If I give it an IP of 192.168.1.100 and the gateway 192.168.0.1, it tells me its a bad gateway, am i right in saying without 192.168.0.1 in here I would have no internet, which means the WAN ip has to have "0" in the third octet
  • Options
    Hi

Does anyone have any idea why i cannot have my LAN IP in same subnet as my WAN IP

Because that's not how networking works. It's like having an office building with 50 offices, each one has it's own suite number.
  • Options
    Because that's not how networking works. It's like having an office building with 50 offices, each one has it's own suite number.

That doesn't really explain the need for 2 different subnets, when you reach more than 255 clients isn't that when you introduce a new subnet

I also could do with learning CCNA, maybe that would help but for now I just need access to my win7 pc, grrrrrrr
  • Options
    That doesn't really explain the need for 2 different subnets, when you reach more than 255 clients isn't that when you introduce a new subnet

I also could do with learning CCNA, maybe that would help but for now I just need access to my win7 pc, grrrrrrr

You don't need different subnets for this if you are using the TP router as I described. I honestly think at this point you need to just plug everything into a switch and call it a day. you could have configured rip by now as well.
  • Options

The number of clients is irrelevant, the path that traffic takes is more important. If you need to get IP traffic from one router to the other, the sending router needs to know what destination address to send it to. Just like if you need to visit someone in that 50 office building, you need to know their suite number. If all 50 offices had the same suite number, you wouldnt know which office to go to. You cannot have two different interfaces on the same subnet, it doesnt work like that.

If you want access to your Win 7 pc then plug it into an open switchport on one of your routers. Then plug your xp machine into an open switchport on the same router that the Win 7 pc is connected to. Disconnect the other router completely and put it away, you don't need it.

You're making this too difficult for yourself when really it is very simple.
  • Options
    The number of clients is irrelevant, the path that traffic takes is more important. If you need to get IP traffic from one router to the other, the sending router needs to know what destination address to send it to. Just like if you need to visit someone in that 50 office building, you need to know their suite number. If all 50 offices had the same suite number, you wouldnt know which office to go to. You cannot have two different interfaces on the same subnet, it doesnt work like that.

If you want access to your Win 7 pc then plug it into an open switchport on one of your routers. Then plug your xp machine into an open switchport on the same router that the Win 7 pc is connected to. Disconnect the other router completely and put it away, you don't need it.

You're making this too difficult for yourself when really it is very simple.

I totally agree, if I knew I was going to have this issue I would have bought a switch and not a wireless router, will be purchasing a 6 port switch, plugging 4 PC's and the link from downstairs into it, leaves 1 port for the TP router to give upstairs wireless, no PC's will be plugged in to the wireless router so this should work fine

Thanks for your help guys really appreciated
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    This thread hurts my head.
  • Options
    I wonder if this ever got fixed....
  • Options
    No it didnt

My TP router will not allow me to put it on the same subnet as my Dlink, same arror keep coming up

Seems I have to buy a switch instead, shame cos I thought it would be possible to make my TP router to work as just a switch?

It funny how the TP picks up my gateway as being 192.168.0.1, which is the IP for my Dlink

Dont know enough about this area of IT to fix IT myself so will have to buy a switch
  • Options
    No offense but this is extremely basic networking. I suggest that you pick up a network+ book (NOT a CCENT/CCNA) and take a week to read it. It will only help make you better. Just my 0.02.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No it didnt

My TP router will not allow me to put it on the same subnet as my Dlink, same arror keep coming up

Seems I have to buy a switch instead, shame cos I thought it would be possible to make my TP router to work as just a switch?

It funny how the TP picks up my gateway as being 192.168.0.1, which is the IP for my Dlink

Dont know enough about this area of IT to fix IT myself so will have to buy a switch
    The TP picks up your dlink address as the gateway because you're dlink IS the DG for your TP and gives it via DHCP.
    Anybody know what port network discovery uses? He could unblock that port on the TP and the Dlink and have the problem fixed.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So from what the article says netwok dicover doesn't work across routers so set up a upstairs and downstars switch and anything youy want to "see" each other has to be on the switch. He can still use the wireless router upsatirs but none of them can see each other.

>---router--switch---upstairs---switch--router
    and plug all comps that want to see each other into switches. The problem with using the router as a switch is that it's built(internally) like --router--switch
    Has the OP tried devilsbanes suggestion of plugging the cable form the downstairs router into one of the switch ports of the router?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.