Options

Is there anybody else that really can't stand Mac end users?

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I've had the misfortune of having to support Mac users at my last two jobs and it seems that there is a certain sense of arrogance amongst them.

When they have issues they always seem to take them personally, as if the problem exist because people that use Windows or Linux are somehow inferior to them and THEY are the reason they're having issues.

I'm sorry that you weren't intelligent enough how to figure out an OS that doesn't "just work". Windows end users experience issues as well, only when they have a problem they don't take it personally...why must you?

I don't mind Macs in the work place but I really wish they weren't supported. If you want to use an overpriced computer with a shiny exterior that you have to run Parallels on to use your Windows apps, then I shouldn't be forced to deal with your arrogance...period.
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL, you are just trying to get Hyper-Me going aren't you? icon_lol.gif J/K

I think this mentality is often displayed by Linux/MAC users. I'm not going to say it isn't unusual for Windows users, because if I said that than there wouldn't be any explanation for Hyper-Me's behavior icon_wink.gif

J/K
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I am not a big fan of your average MAC users TBH, at least with the Linux guys you can have an intelligent conversation. That's not to say all MAC users are like that and I know they are not, but the cool ones are a minority it seems (the cools ones all have a Windows pc's too btw) ;)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think your projecting based on the wording you used.

I have over a decade of getting my butt reamed by Windows users who blame me for some web site not coming up when I pushed out a patch for Windows Media player lol.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Where I use to work we had a small group of Macs. Mostly the users were pretty cool but we had 1-2 who thought they were "above" everyone else. We would always find "unauthorized software" every time we did our quarterly security scans.

My biggest gripe about Macs is/was there is no centralized management solution ie WSUS/SCCM (or at least none that I'm aware of).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think your projecting based on the wording you used.

I have over a decade of getting my butt reamed by Windows users who blame me for some web site not coming up when I pushed out a patch for Windows Media player lol.

There are some MAC users that are cool, I won't deny that. However, they seem to be few and far between.

In my experience, the majority of Windows users tend to be self-aware of their own computer ignorance and don't try to tell me how to do my job.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • Options
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    There are some MAC users that are cool, I won't deny that. However, they seem to be few and far between.

In my experience, the majority of Windows users tend to be self-aware of their own computer ignorance and don't try to tell me how to do my job.

+1 icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□

Dynamik will be in contact to see if you have any job postings. He will make sure everyone know's how many patches he put's about.

MAC users are users at end of day. If something doesn't work, don't wait for them to snarl and make comment's. Make note of the issue and if you don't know how to fix on spot, go off and research. If they are difficult because they are ignorant, then let them be ignorant

My last MAC environment was a bunch of developers, all of them very open minded IT guys as well, so I guess I had a small advantage there.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Where I use to work we had a small group of Macs. Mostly the users were pretty cool but we had 1-2 who thought they were "above" everyone else. We would always find "unauthorized software" every time we did our quarterly security scans.

My biggest gripe about Macs is/was there is no centralized management solution ie WSUS/SCCM (or at least none that I'm aware of).

There is with their Mac OSX Server. The problem is when you have smaller amounts of a particular OS in a network you have to try and make the minority fit into the majority. I have Redhat Servers and I am always banging my head making the Linux users fit into the Windows domain. We had issues at my old job with the Mac users fullfilling security requirements but DOD started issuing Mac OS X guidance years ago once OSX servers started cropping up in the DOD.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    I have never dealt with Mac users but I have heard about their perception. This thread seems to validate that, so my question is why are people who use Mac's generally like this? Is it because their using a Mac or is it because of the type of person in general (socially, politcally, etc) that they are? I find this weird that just because you use this OS or that OS it changes who you are. Just curious.....LOL
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Every OS has a group of rabid fan boys that fall into whatever irritating stereotype. They're annoying. However, I know many from all groups that are fine human beings, so deal with everyone on a case-by-case basis.
  • Options
    My wife was a graphic designer and her workplace was 100 percent Mac. They were all friendly and sometimes asked me IT related stuff when I visited my wife but they were cool about it.

But Linux users back a few years ago before it became more mainstream made me want to punch myself in the face when I asked a question.

"The command line is more efficient"

"Really? I just click and drag here and I am done"

"But this is more efficient because well I can enter a bunch of commands and make people think I am smart" (sarcasm)
  • Options
    There is with their Mac OSX Server. The problem is when you have smaller amounts of a particular OS in a network you have to try and make the minority fit into the majority. I have Redhat Servers and I am always banging my head making the Linux users fit into the Windows domain. We had issues at my old job with the Mac users fullfilling security requirements but DOD started issuing Mac OS X guidance years ago once OSX servers started cropping up in the DOD.

We had one Mac OSX server that we tried to do remote management from - however we had some users decide they wanted to not allow remote control/access. All in all we only had less than 10 Macs so it was easier to manage "by hand".

For security compliance, we had a script we got from NIST that would go in and lock down the Macs - so we started to run that on any new/replacement Mac we got in.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I worked as a DSL Tech for AT&T and I found that more often than not Mac users were more annoying. They were positive the problem could not possibly be with their Apple product.

My brother is the most annoying of all. He has a windows desktop and laptop, but will go on and on about how great a Mac is. Until his recent iPhone purchase he had no apple products at all, not even an iPod. And anytime he has a problem with his pc, he would say he wouldn't have that problem if he had got a mac. He's a HR/PR guy and has a gift to break every piece of technology, computers, tvs, cellphones, etc. if he has it, something will be wrong with it soon
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I worked as a DSL Tech for AT&T and I found that more often than not Mac users were more annoying. They were positive the problem could not possibly be with their Apple product.

My brother is the most annoying of all. He has a windows desktop and laptop, but will go on and on about how great a Mac is. Until his recent iPhone purchase he had no apple products at all, not even an iPod. And anytime he has a problem with his pc, he would say he wouldn't have that problem if he had got a mac. He's a HR/PR guy and has a gift to break every piece of technology, computers, tvs, cellphones, etc. if he has it, something will be wrong with it soon

LOL, OSI Level 8 issue...
  • Options

How much control can you get over desktops with MAC OSX servers?
  • Options

If I remember right you can download/install patches to the other computers (Mac) via their remote control application.
  • Options

There are some basic tools:

Apple - Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard - Client Management

Centralized software updates, remote installs for clients, directory based management. Their Workgroup Manager sounds like a policy based system for managing users.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I'm an arrogant Mac user, so I'm getting a kick out of these replies......

I do use Mac, but I don't feel I'm superior or my shiny overpriced computer is superior in any way. I think the Apple crowd has it's good and bad like anything else. Now excuse me while I go back to my OS that just works. icon_lol.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    I'm an arrogant Mac user, so I'm getting a kick out of these replies......

I do use Mac, but I don't feel I'm superior or my shiny overpriced computer is superior in any way. I think the Apple crowd has it's good and bad like anything else. Now excuse me while I go back to my OS that just works. icon_lol.gif

Bonus: Do you use Parallels to run Windows or Bootcamp?

If Macs are so great then why does everybody run Windows on them? :)

I didn't realize this thread would become so popular...guess I'm not the only one who has had these types of experiences!
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The worst for me is when someone calls me and says, "My computer is dying and I'm looking at buying a new one. A friend of mine says go Mac but I wanted to see what your thoughts were."

I'm not your personal assistant, you should probably do your own research to decide which computer is best for you. But since you want an answer, you can go ahead and take your friends advice. But then you won't be able to do your job because our company doesn't support Macs. So tell your (I'm sure extremely tech savvy) friend to STFU because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

EDIT: I forgot to add that he called the wrong number. So that was part of my frustrations with him. He called the number for internal employees and not the one for external customers and business partners.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So the general consensus is that:

Windows users are stupid and know it.
    Mac users are stupid and don't know it.
    Linux user are smart but there is only 4.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I don't like supporting MAC networks for this reason. I have brought Mac Book Pros to the apple store for a hard drive replacement (Hard Drives fail in macs too) and all the mean time the user complained that there was no way the mac was at fault.

Most macs are used in home settings and they excel in that arena. When you bring them into the business and use them every day, issues come up that would not be noticed by a home user. Its hard for people to realize that the mac that serves them so well at home can have problems at work.

I haven't had this problem with Linux users. Most of them are in development and they understand the quirkiness of computers, no matter what operating system they have.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Bonus: Do you use Parallels to run Windows or Bootcamp?

If Macs are so great then why does everybody run Windows on them? :)

I didn't realize this thread would become so popular...guess I'm not the only one who has had these types of experiences!

I'm a Mac user that tries my best to not enforce what I like onto other people :)

Do I use Windows in a VM? I have a VM with Windows on it, but it gets used something like once every 6 months. I may have to boot it more when I get into trying to do more with ESXi (for VSphere), but besides that, its only to run a few Windows only tools (of which there are very few that there is no Mac/Linux alternative to)

Besides that, I'm Mac and Linux as much as possible :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Funny. When I moved 50% of our developers to Mac, as well as our CEO, I haven't heard anything out of them for the past two years. They took to them like ducks to water. My CEO has never touched a Mac before, and he has yet to ask the first "How do I ..." question. I "converted" 2 years ago myself. Why do I still run Windows? Because not everything I use is on Mac, but that doesn't make Windows "superior". I run VMWare Fusion in Unity mode for that stuff. OS snobs should learn that there is no "superior" OS. It's your own personal tastes, just like the old Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. whateverelse debate/argument.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't mind having Mac users at work if the users that bought them knew how to use them. Ignorance not arrogance is our problem. Just because their friends told them they won't get virus' and it won't crash, they've gone out and bought one without trying one beforehand.
    And then they whine to us that we aren't able to solve their mac problems straight away. Maybe I should hide the copy of "Mac OS X Support Essentials" that's on my desk as apparently that book makes me a Mac expert, or maybe tell my boss to stop telling people i'm a mac expert, just because I have that book on my desk.

Devilsbane - Ah tech savvy friends are the worst. Full of BS most the time.
  • Options
    Yeah I never get questions from my wife. The PC side of our family would call me every week with their latest toolbar or MySpace malware.

The one thing I like about Microsoft Office for Mac was the help feature. It would lead you with an arrow to the menu selection you needed.

Sort of like somebody on the helpdesk remoting a user lol
  • Options
    Based on some of theses responses I can see why IT people have a negative image to the general public. I think its not the Mac user but the tech being angry because they are working on systems outside their norm.
  • Options
    Based on some of theses responses I can see why IT people have a negative image to the general public. I think its not the Mac user but the tech being angry because they are working on systems outside their norm.

Doing that is what techs love, what they don't love is people giving them a hard time when they are trying to help....where else in life do you give the person who's help you need a hard time? We are generalising but truth be told MAC users are right up their with sales staff and middle managment with their bad attitudes and over inflated ego's.

I guess middle management and sales staff own a lot of MAC's icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Its the "This is a mac, it shouldn't happen" attitude we hate. They were sold by Justin Long's commercials!

Its our fault too, if you company is just totally gung ho to get macs, what the hell, its their dime! Just do it right, get a mac server and all the mac management stuff you need and enjoy working on a new system. Whether or not they are getting ripped off is their problem. Get rid of exchange too, use the mac server...
  • Options

Working with Macs isn't outside the norm for many of us, myself included. I haven't come across any issues that I haven't been able to figure out, so that isn't the case.

Besides, if people in tech don't love to learn then they picked the wrong industry. I worked in hospitality for several years before coming over to IT so I tend to be quite good with my end users...but if I can't vent on here then where would you suggest?

Venting to my g/f often isn't very effective as she simply doesn't understand the way you guys do!
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
This discussion has been closed.