Is there anybody else that really can't stand Mac end users?

124»

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yes they may not know about computers, but at least where I work the people who work on MAC's are the people who have them for a reason. Such as the graphic designers. And where they might not have a clue about IT, they have graphic qualifications coming out of there ears and can do stuff that goes way over my head. Same with the computer modelling guys, lots of them use MAC's as well, these guys can program in 10 languages and understand maths like you would not believe.

They are use to "knowing what they are doing" there whole jobs are based around it, they don't like having to phone up and ask for help, and many of them know what they can do at home and want to know why they can't do it at work. they have no concepts of the problems regarding a corporate network.

They don't want an IT engineer trying to explain IT to them, and nor to they want to have to spend ages trying to explain stuff to you as the IT person.

Think of it backwards, when a end user asks you to explain some thing to them, most times you will "dumb it down" for them. you don't go in to the fine details of imap settings with a user who doesn't even know what email really is .

I find a lot of MAC users the same, they are use to dumbing it down and carry on doing it, (even when its not needed). My advice is learn enough about MAC's to be a user your self.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I just think people think of anything but Microsoft when it comes to adaptability to wartime environments.

The instructor I had for ISA 2006 had a contract job for the US Army, where he designed and built a system of MS SQL servers to track information regarding incidents in the various theaters of war. It had something like 14 legs and could still replicate worldwild within only a few minutes even if like 80% of the legs were down.

There is some cool stuff being done with just about every vendors stuff....except Apple. icon_lol.gif
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    The instructor I had for ISA 2006 had a contract job for the US Army, where he designed and built a system of MS SQL servers to track information regarding incidents in the various theaters of war. It had something like 14 legs and could still replicate worldwild within only a few minutes even if like 80% of the legs were down.

There is some cool stuff being done with just about every vendors stuff....except Apple. icon_lol.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Mac OS X server is used a lot in the scientific community. A while back the Navy bought a ton of the Xserve boxes for their sonar. Back then the Xserve was the best for low profile and power consumption.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'd rather work on a windows problem than a OSX one solely for the fact that windows will actually give you information. OSX tries to pretend it didnt do anything wrong, it seems.

This is something which I guess differs from person to person, because I can find a Mac problem quicker than in Windows. Maybe because I'm more used to dealing with syslog daemons than I am Event Viewers and the like, but a simple look in /var/log directory has shown me everything I've ever had issues with.

At the end of the day, Macs for me are the best of both worlds in OS, because I have commercial support from Apple themselves, from application developers, yet at the same time I can drop into a command line and control just about anything the same way I would in most Linux/BSD installs. Given my life includes more than just IT (for example, I'm quite into recording, composition and producing music), I find Macs the best platform for me, as I can achieve all of what I want to do.

I'd never say everyone should have a Mac, it just wouldn't suit everyone, but at the same time I've not had Windows in my house apart from the afformentioned bi-annually booted VM for about 3 years now, and I've not felt held back in what I do. Hell, the same work I do on the Windows machine at work (i.e. boot up a ticketing system, open a shell emulator to get to the Linux/Cisco devices in the network, and get email) I can do via VPN from my Macs at home.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
    I remember feeling stupid when I had to google how to uninstall a program on my wife's Mac. Then the Mac user forums got a chuckle when I didn't believe them when they told me to just throw it in the bin. Microsoft Office for Mac has an install or uninstall.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I remember feeling stupid when I had to google how to uninstall a program on my wife's Mac. Then the Mac user forums got a chuckle when I didn't believe them when they told me to just throw it in the bin. Microsoft Office for Mac has an install or uninstall.

Thats another thing that pisses me off. There are 4-5 widely used ways to install or remove an app from OSX. Problem is they are pretty evenly spread acrossed most applications so its anyones effing guess as to what you need to do with what you've just downloaded.

I like to refer to DMG files as "damage" files as in "you'd have to have brain damage to want to deal with these things"
    Most Mac downloads will mount and they will have a read me stating " drag this wherever you want"
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

I was working on a Mac Pro one time and kept looking for the button to open the cd rom drive.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    So Apple took something stupid that users sometimes do (delete an icon from your desktop and think it's "totally removed" from your computer) and actually made it the way of doing it. Dumbing down at its finest!!
  • neuropolneuropol Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    So Apple took something stupid that users sometimes do (delete an icon from your desktop and think it's "totally removed" from your computer) and actually made it the way of doing it. Dumbing down at its finest!!

You don't install programs to the desktop, you install them in the Applications folder. You use shortcuts on the desktop, or more likely the Dock. I've never actually seen someone with an application shortcut on their desktop, but I'm sure it happens.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    earweed wrote: »
    So is the Linux thread that's been going on for some time now.
    True. It didn't quite start off as one though unlike this thread!

Never discuss religion, OS or editor choice it seems...
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, I don't know if anyone posted this already, just too many posts to read through at this point (some serious Mac love/hate here I guess for a 105 post thread in just a day). But here's my view as far as Mac goes...

Mac's are overpriced and in my experience are normally owned by the "preppy cool crowd" of IT individuals. What I mean by this is, if you were in school and you weren't as well off as the other kids you probably wore the Wal-Mart brand shoes and clothes. There's nothing wrong with those, in fact I was in that situation and I had $20 shoes that lasted much longer than $100 pair of shoes along the stretch of my childhood.

My point is that's how I see Mac users, they're the ones who are well off and can afford the $1000+ for a MacBook or Mac and they buy it. It functions the exact same as a PC with the only drawback being the OS. I despise Mac OSX, it's not user firendly at all for anyone who's used Windows for the past 10+ years (so 90%+ of computer users) and doesn't last as long as a PC in logevity (meaning here if you're educated on how to take care of your computer and were take care of a PC and Mac the exact same way).

Bleh, I could rant for hours on this so I'm just gonna cut it short. I find Mac users to be the equivalent of the snobby kids in school who picked on me because I didn't wear the $100 Nikes. The Mac users who come into the shop where I work at tend to just come off very arrogant just because they own a Mac, of course, this is while they're bringing the (in their own words) "Very secure Mac" to me for OS repairs because they somehow managed to get a Mac virus that ripped the guts on their OSX.

Mac users, buy a PC, it's cheaper, you'll save money over the long run. It'll last just as long as your Mac if not longer. It's much easier to troubleshoot if you have any software issues, and yeah, you may get more viruses, but stop going to those **** sites and downloading through Limewire and you should be peachy on that end. Save yourself time and trouble, and please lighten up. I don't need to know that you bought your Mac with your daddy's law firm money.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
This discussion has been closed.