Options

CCNA Thread

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Scheduled for April the 26th at 11:30. The pressure is on... icon_cool.gif

Good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lesson learned. Read questions carefully before giving an answer. I had to stare at a screen for five minutes to understand why my answer for a practice exam was wrong. I was very mad at myself, but it happens... icon_lol.gif

I read the problem backwards, and really thought I should have been able to select more than one choice.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been playing around with Point-to-Point serial connections using PPP. Very interesting stuff, but one thing I confused about is whether or not PPP forwards MAC sub-layer information across the wire. For instance, in the diagram below:

Would A and B receive ARP requests from each other? I would assume that they would build there tables, but since PPP runs on top maybe it doesn't tunnel this information? I read some of the whitepapers but didn't see any mention about how the MAC sub-layer is treated.

Since they are connected to each other with serial link, there is no MAC addressing. HDLC or PPP has its own layer 2 addressing structure.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    I'm getting to the point where I'm bored with CCENT level commands and labs. Same old, same old :) I'm avoiding moving on to any thing much deeper because I don't want to forget what I need for CCENT. The same goes for picking up the ICND2 book which is tempting me.

I purchased another 2950 for the lab in preparation for ICND2. Repetition is the only way to memorize the commands, so I'm going to be spending some more time with the lab tonight.
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @veritas_libertas...We all have looked at some situations while troubleshooting and missed some things. I have been watching video's on ASA configuration and VMware etc. and I have found myself noticing points that I don't use daily. I hope to be labbing some tonight too or soon.
  • Options
    Added the new 12-port 2950 to the rack, and upgraded the IOS. It took several tries to get the IOS loaded. For some reason the IOS is not nice enough to explain that there wasn't enough room and that was why it was erring out. A little commonsense on my part would have helped, you know, like checking to see if there was enough room initially? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Took a practice test from Sybex and Transcenders free one from the web site. I scored in the 90% range. I'm less than thrilled with the Boson test that came with Cisco Press book. I'm finding mistakes and the material seems poorly written. It could just be the version that came with the book though.
  • Options
    Stabbed the ICND1 in the heart today. On to the ICND2. I bought a second 2950 recently, so that will help with studies.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/76882-icnd1-down-time-study-icnd2.html

Any advice on how long I will probably need to study to pass the ICND2? I'm hoping to be done before July. Also, any advice in general on the ICND2?
  • Options
    I'm in the third chapter of Odom's INCD2 book today. I must say that I'm finding VLANs and STP a bit overwhelming. There is a lot to digest, and I zero experience with either.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the third chapter of Odom's INCD2 book today. I must say that I'm finding VLANs and STP a bit overwhelming. There is a lot to digest, and I zero experience with either.
    I have both Odom's book and Lammle's book. I found that Lammle's book helped me a lot throughout this subject. I also purchased the 24-hour CBTNuggets subscription, I believe that Jeremy's methods of teaching to be very helpful.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I have both Odom's book and Lammle's book. I found that Lammle's book helped me a lot throughout this subject. I also purchased the 24-hour CBTNuggets subscription, I believe that Jeremy's methods of teaching to be very helpful.

Lammle's book is on the way, but I wanted to get a head start. I'm hoping to be done with ICND2 by the middle of July. My wife is due in August and I would like to have the CCNA before then. I know I won't get much sleep after the child is first born.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, congratulations! That's fantastic news. That's a good time frame to look at. I wrote out my study guide for 6 weeks of studying, but I got held up with work for almost a week straight so I'm off by a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to take mine on the 19th of this month.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Veritas!
    Lammle's book is very good and the different angle will definitely help.
    I'd suggest reading through everything once - the whole book. Don't try to memorise everything, but see what you can pick up, and if it makes sense.
    Then, go back and read through the topics slowly. Again, don't try to memorise the little details like header TLVs (type length value). The trick is to see what's going on, why it's done like that and just trying to understand the reasoning behind how the topic works.
    A good example is spanning tree. We need redundant connections in the network in case someone yanks out the wrong cable (or cuts through it when laying carpet) but.... then we have a potential loop - oh dear. Spanning tree is the name given to the process of trying to find the most efficient way of putting traffic controls (bollards, closing off roads, however you imagine it) to allow only working path at the OSI layer 2 level.

When I got my books for the CCNP, I looked at them and felt overwhelmed at what was in them. Read through them, picked up a little. Went through them again and again, and picked up more. Also tested it in the lab (labs are a must!!!).
    At the end of it, I got my CCNP. Mind you, I still went back to my CCNA books for background on some things. That should give you an idea of how important the topics in the CCNA are.

So, my advice based on my experience (with whatever amount of salt you like):
    Read through the books. This is to get an idea of where the topic is going; DON'T try to memorise it all.
    Re-read the books. Slower, more careful analysis of the topic. Pick up the command basics. Understand the theory behind it more.
    And more reading of the topics. You should also be getting into the labs now and practising the commands.
    Draw some mock networks out on paper and make them come to life with whatever equipment you have.
    Oh, and don't be afraid to break it. That's where you can really learn.
    Oh, and if you do it on customer equipement, that's where you really need to learn fast (copies of the old configs on your laptop).
  • Options
    @MickQ: Thanks, and thanks also for some great advice.

Eire as in Ireland?
  • Options
    Reading Odom's ICND2 book has not been as bad as I thought it would be. It's still dry reading that is comparable to a white paper, but it seems better written than the ICND1 book.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The very same. I said it that way to differentiate from Northern Ireland. I've had enough people asking me about all that in the past.

Odom is good, but is dry reading, as you said. I found it a little hard going to read at first, then enjoyed it later having read one of Lammle's earlier CCNA editions to give me a good introduction to it all.

Take your time through it. It can often help to read something, and then come back to it with a refreshed mind. Also, other people will explain things in different ways, and that might be all that's needed to make that lightbulb work. Youtube might be a friend here ;)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats on the pass and if you go at it the same way for 2, you'll be fine! I love VLANS!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Studying VLSM today. So far I'm finding it interesting, and that is saying something since I use to hate subnetting. According to USPS tracking I should have my Lammle CCNA book in the mailbox when I get home. Nice.
    Congrats on the pass and if you go at it the same way for 2, you'll be fine! I love VLANS!

Thanks! I'm excited to play with commands and network technology that is new to me :)
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    hey man grats on the pass on ICDN1 ! also I've been thinking about buying the Boson software is it worth it?
  • Options
    jsb515 wrote: »
    hey man grats on the pass on ICDN1 ! also I've been thinking about buying the Boson software is it worth it?

If you buy the Cisco Press book it comes with the Boson software. At least with Second Edition it does.

I think it's worth it because it gives you a honest feel for what the test is like. It's also tougher than the exam, which means if you pass Boson test in the 90's than you are most definitely ready to take the exam.
  • Options
    hrmm I bought the 3rd edition set with the network simulator let me look on the cd.. is it the same one that boson sales on their site?

**edit**

Just checked its the Pearson IT practice test and not Boson.. so maybe the second edition came with Boson and third comes with Pearson.
  • Options
    jsb515 wrote: »
    hrmm I bought the 3rd edition set with the network simulator let me look on the cd.. is it the same one that boson sales on their site?

**edit**

Just checked its the Pearson IT practice test and not Boson.. so maybe the second edition came with Boson and third comes with Pearson.

Ah yes, now I remember that was reason I didn't buy the newer version. I was also told that there is very little difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition. I don't think you HAVE to do a Boson test exam to pass the test. I didn't spend a lot of time with the test simulator and still passed INCD1 exam. I never went through a full practice test, only 10 at a time since that is most that I had patience for at any give time.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know it's late, but Congrats on the pass! I am looking at doing the CCENT, CCNA route next year. Is this something that can be done with simulators and without the physical equipment? I know there are a lot of factors (experience, amount of daily time, etc), but on average, how long do people study before taking the tests?
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Keener wrote: »
    I know it's late, but Congrats on the pass! I am looking at doing the CCENT, CCNA route next year. Is this something that can be done with simulators and without the physical equipment? I know there are a lot of factors (experience, amount of daily time, etc), but on average, how long do people study before taking the tests?

I don't know about others, but for me I only spent a dedicated 2 to 3 months on the ICND1. I'm going to spend the same amount before my shot at the CCNA. At this time I prefer real equipment because I don't work with Cisco for a livin. If you get a simulator avoid GNS3 (my opinion only) and pay for a good simulator like RouterSim (my coworker is a huge fan) or NetSim by Boson. They give you all sorts of routers and switches to play with, and you don't have to constantly troubleshoot the software, which just takes time away from lab practice. I know others disagree, but I've found GNS3 to be nothing but a pain.
  • Options
    i've been enjoying the network simulator that comes with the CCNA package from Cisco Press. Got it on Amazon with the two ICND books for $130. I also use real equipment and GNS3.. but really anything I can get to help me actually learn this stuff the better.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about others, but for me I only spent a dedicated 2 to 3 months on the ICND1. I'm going to spend the same amount before my shot at the CCNA. At this time I prefer real equipment because I don't work with Cisco for a livin. If you get a simulator avoid GNS3 (my opinion only) and pay for a good simulator like RouterSim (my coworker is a huge fan) or NetSim by Boson. They give you all sorts of routers and switches to play with, and you don't have to constantly troubleshoot the software, which just takes time away from lab practice. I know others disagree, but I've found GNS3 to be nothing but a pain.
    Cool. Thanks for the input. You too, jsb515. I have been in IT support (help desk, desktop, supervisor, now everything), but haven't worked with Cisco equipment or anything in depth on networking before. Budget going to be tight so I wouldn't have a lot to go buy equipment with either. Good luck with your next test for the CCNA!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Keener wrote: »
    Cool. Thanks for the input. You too, jsb515. I have been in IT support (help desk, desktop, supervisor, now everything), but haven't worked with Cisco equipment or anything in depth on networking before. Budget going to be tight so I wouldn't have a lot to go buy equipment with either. Good luck with your next test for the CCNA!

According to JSB515 the new Cisco books come with the simulator. That to me sounds very nice. A coworker of mine used RouterSim for the CCNA, and the nice thing is that you pay less for the hardware (virtualized) and have access to more hardware.
  • Options
    here is the set i'm talking about

Amazon.com: CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition, Updated (3rd Edition) (9781587204371): Wendell Odom: Books

Good price really for all you get. I also use the Todd Lammel CCNA book to go a long with it because it gives me a different angle on what Wendell is teaching.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    ine ccna vids are free again (for now) for streaming. CCNA Associate Course - 640-802

I had to put my certs on hold for the moment.
    Scored a great job working on hardware development, get to work with optical networking with fpgas.
    Ton of reading and a lot of work. Two days a week for now, full time once semesters over(finally finish my engineering degree - 12 years part time)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats with the new job. have fun
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]