Options

IT Work Attire

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wish I could wear jeans everyday at my workplace. We can only wear dress shirt and slacks, no tie thankfully! Last Friday of the month is an exception when casuals are permitted.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm usually in my boxers...or maybe some shorts. Then again I work from home 4 days a week icon_wink.gif

When I'm in the office I usually throw on some slacks and a polo, usually this is just for meetings anyway.
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    For April and May, non-client facing staff (like IT) can wear jeans for the month if you donate about $70 the relief efforts in northern Japan.

Otherwise, most of the back room IT staff wear slacks and a collared shirt.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After sweltering through another record-breaking summer stretch, we're finally getting a slight cooler change. So what do the office poindexters do? Turn up the heaters! If I had my way, the dress code would be shorts and thongs (flipflops? Not sure what the yanks call 'em).
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    If I had my way, the dress code would be shorts and thongs (flipflops? Not sure what the yanks call 'em).

In America, we call 'em flip flops...thongs usually refer to something else.. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Jeans, colar shirt, are the lowest standard. Dont have to shave or anything. Ofcourse, we work in a secure building with not windows.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nah, the hat serves a couple purposes.

#1 - I like it (this is the important one)

#2 - The ladies like it (this is only slighty less important)

#3 - people are too busy noticing my hat to notice my sidearm

LOL, that reminds me that I need to get around to scheduling a CCW class.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    We have a strict no jeans policy. Dockers, khakis are fine. No athletic shoes at all. Polo or dress shirts.

We have been allowed to wear jeans ONCE. That was when we moved from one building to another across town.

It all depends on your company.

Pretty much the same here. If you donate to certain charities you can wear jeans on Fridays.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Usually dress shirt or polo and khakis. Friday is pretty much tshirt/jeans/tennis shoes.

But in my old job, it was jeans/shorts and tshirts everyday with flip flops. It just depends on the work environment at the company and their expectations.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on the day and the client. Sometimes it's the best suit. Other times it's the most flexible pair of jeans or snickers trousers.
    Generally, dress well and don't give them any excuses to not pay you.
  • Options
    Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to wear a shirt and tie to work - in fact I was once told off by the manager of the company for not wearing a tie one day :S

Its alright when doing remote desktop support but when I have to do onsite visits to messy places its annoying getting nice clothes dirty. However in my last place I got to wear pretty much whatever I wanted, so t-shirts and jeans everyday basically.
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    The job I miss the most was when I was doing Network Consulting for 6 years. My clients all loved me so much that it was totally cool and appropriate for me to come into fix their network with shorts and flip flops on. Well at least 80% of my clients anyway. I wouldn't have dare done that with Avia/AND1 or Experian.

An engineer at my work is a triple CCIE and he comes to work in shorts and sandals with knee high socks daily. He's some special exception, apparently he's given an allowance to live wherever he wants in the world and works remotely. I want that gig.

Somedays I work naked, or in boxers. Those of course are the 2-4 days a week I choose to work from home and not go in to the office. I'm glad all my conference calls arent telepresence calls. icon_cool.gif
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    millworx wrote: »
    It all depends on where you work. Take note of what everyone else is dressed like and dress accordingly.

At my job when I first started I was wearing button up shirts and nice slacks. After about a week I noticed the whole engineering team wears t-shirts / polo shirts and jeans. So I changed, I was overdressed. Not to mention it's not the right attire for working in a datacenter anyway.

There is no such thing as being overdressed.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    working my first IT job here in NYC as a Desktop Support Technician. i've always had the impression that IT guys dont wear ties. That we are too cool to anyways. In my head, I always left that to the business guys.

My work attire is
    1. dress shoes
    2. dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows and one button open
    3. black Chino pants (aka Cotton pants, Twill Pants, Khakis etc)

i would never wear nice pants if I'm setting up computers while kneeling.

also, business casual on friday. jeans and sneakers.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Our office is Business Casual dress M-Thur Fri Jeans are acceptable.

M-F for me is Business Casual. Dress pants and Polo or Dress pants and a button up dress shirt.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My job actually gives us company shirts (basically a polo with the company logo/slogan on it) and a fleeces for the colder weather season as well and I pair it with khaki's and dress shoes
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DPG wrote: »
    There is no such thing as being overdressed.

I'd have to disagree with that. If everyone wears jeans/polo and you show up in a suit everyday, you are over dressed. There is something to be said for fitting in with the company culture.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'd have to disagree with that. If everyone wears jeans/polo and you show up in a suit everyday, you are over dressed. There is something to be said for fitting in with the company culture.

There is, and there isn't. Fitting in doesn't necessarily have to mean total conformity. Unless there are practical reasons for dressing otherwise (ie, have to get dirty), and it's not against the dress code, there's nothing wrong with 'outdressing' your co workers. Some folks simply enjoy wearing nice clothes, and if the folks who prefer and are comfortable in jeans/polo shirt are indulging their whims, there's no reason you can't either.

I overdress compared to my coworkers, but once they got used to it, now they notice when I don't.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There is, and there isn't. Fitting in doesn't necessarily have to mean total conformity. Unless there are practical reasons for dressing otherwise (ie, have to get dirty), and it's not against the dress code, there's nothing wrong with 'outdressing' your co workers. Some folks simply enjoy wearing nice clothes, and if the folks who prefer and are comfortable in jeans/polo shirt are indulging their whims, there's no reason you can't either.

I overdress compared to my coworkers, but once they got used to it, now they notice when I don't.

No, fitting in doesn't mean total conformity, but if the office environment the company is going for is relaxed or very casual dressing in a suit is bucking that. You can wear nice clothing without having to have a suit or slacks on. Thats my 2 cents anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    staub81staub81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What would you guys where to an interview?
    Is a suit a must?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    staub81 wrote: »
    Is a suit a must?

Yes. You should always wear a suit to an interview.
  • Options
    mikezmikez Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when I first started out I wore khakis and a button-down shirt with nice dress shoes. I quickly learned that it was not the attire. Jeans and a polo t-shirt is the norm.
    Whatever makes you comfortable to get the job down.
    On occasion when we have meetings I will dress up...all depends on your work place.
  • Options
    bigbadsadbigbadsad Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suppose it depends on the job. Ive only had a couple of placements (no real job yet), but most of the time if we dealt with clients/customer we went in suited and booted to impress, if we were installing a load of gear it was polo shirt and a pair of khaki style pants.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My requirement is for a dress shirt and pants, no tie though. I wear sports jackets generally, too, by choice.
    My reasons? It's the only piece of outerwear I feel is relaxed yet smart enough to accompany the required garments, and I hate carrying things in my pants pockets!
    I have my phone, change, wallet, USB key and car keys on me at all times, so I have 4 pockets full, always.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is a suit a must?

Are you going for burger flipper in McDonalds or a job in an office?
    You can always dress down, but if you want to make a good impression, dress to impress.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is a suit a must?

I normally asks the HR Recruiter whether suit is required or not. Current employer recommended shirt and tie, no suit. [unless it's a management position]
    rsutton wrote: »
    Yes. You should always wear a suit to an interview.

this is what I was told during my college years. But, I made it a habit to ask the HR recruiter for a recommended attire...works for me.

Anyway, my IT work attire consists of dark jeans/khakis, polo shirt, and adidas superstar on Mon-Thurs. Fridays, plain t-shirt and lighter shade jeans.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    The 1st 4 years of my career I wore BDUs most of the time, and Blues on occasion. :P

My 1st civilian IT job was khaki and polo. If we had to come in after hours, we could wear t-shirt and jeans. The place I work at now started out as khaki's, button up shirt, and a tie. They changed it about a year ago to khaki and polo. My manager still wears a suit every day though.

The last couple times I went job hunting, I asked what the dress code was before going to the interview. Although for the job I have now, I only interviewed over the phone, since I lived 1500 miles away. Got hired without an in person interview, never saw the people that interviewed me until after I had completed my new employee orientation.

I wish I could get away with t-shirt and jeans.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Even if I was applying at McDonalds I would wear a suit to the interview. My first job was bussing tables at a chain restaurant. I had my suit dry cleaned and everything ironed, my shoes were so polished they looked better than the day I bought them. I was hired on the spot.

I would feel like I am selling myself short if I interviewed in anything less.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bun17 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm going to be beginning my first job in the IT field as an IT Assistant. I'm curious to know what your everyday work clothes consist of. My impression of the company I'm going to work for is that the IT department dresses more casual. Of course it all depends where you work and what your position is but for the most part, does IT = Khaki + Polo shirt?

I suggest you wear smart stuff but not too expensive as you will be doing some lifting and some dirty jobs. Bring a bag to work with jeans and a t-shirt for those really dirty jobs.

But in the office wear some office acceptable clothing. In the late nineties the overpaid IT folks wore 'what they wanted' and it grated on the general office staff and the corporate types. So dont wear what you want because you are IT. It happened back then and it hasn't been forgotten. Times have changed, forever. It's just a job now. The boom is over.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wear shorts, tshirts, and flipflops to work. Lately the AC has been blasting so today I wore jeans, a Foo Fighters t-shirt, and my chuck taylors. This probably isn't the norm for most people, but then again, my company keeps free beer, sodas, and snacks in the break room for us too. I love this place...

I hate you, haha JP :P that is epic!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!