Options

IT Work Attire

Comments

• Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work in a hotel that's a bit more corporate so I dress up with slacks and a buttoned shirt. Depending on the function a jacket with tie.

I still have to get on my hands and knees and do wiring at times though... I'm suprised my clothes are still presentable after that, lol
  • Options
    geeksquad09geeksquad09 Member Posts: 177
    Slacks and Button-Up shirt. icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Studying for Network+, Server+, and Security+

The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wear shorts, tshirts, and flipflops to work. Lately the AC has been blasting so today I wore jeans, a Foo Fighters t-shirt, and my chuck taylors. This probably isn't the norm for most people, but then again, my company keeps free beer, sodas, and snacks in the break room for us too. I love this place...

Same here, to all of these things. icon_thumright.gif

We have Beer Bashes on Friday @ 3:30 too.
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So after the pleated pants discussion of the other day, I am curious how people dress for work. Not the details like pleated or flat-front, but casual, dressy, etc.

I've only ever worked in super casual environments, jeans and a button down type of environments. Actually lots of people I've worked with don't even do that, jeans and t shirt is popular, but I try to dress up a little more. I'd love to get into an environment where I could dress more professionally--business casual at least. But I suppose on the lower rungs when you might be crawling under the floor to trace wires it makes sense to be casual.

Also, I have a theory that different areas of IT have different cultures in terms of the way people dress. Whenever I deal with software developer types they always seem to be wearing ties. Any other areas that people work in that are more or less dress or casual? Just curious.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Real casual - jeans and sneakers with a polo or button down. I will usually wear a sports coat with the button down.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wear dress shirts and ties though.

No pants? That's a bold fashion statement. icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You betcha. I show up, briefs flapping in the wind. ;)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zenhound wrote: »
    So after the pleated pants discussion of the other day, I am curious how people dress for work. Not the details like pleated or flat-front, but casual, dressy, etc.
    I try to dress in a similar manner to that of my customers. Sometimes that means dressy, and sometimes that means casual. I adapt, though all my clothes are unique to my tastes.
    But I suppose on the lower rungs when you might be crawling under the floor to trace wires it makes sense to be casual.
    That's a fallacy. I've seen many people who barely make over minimum wage "dress to impress"... while CEOs pull in huge wads of cash while wearing jeans. If dress is important to you, it's more about finding a workplace that embraces or at least tolerates your style.
    I'd love to get into an environment where I could dress more professionally--business casual at least.
    Are you sure people mind you dressing up? In some places, if you're not customer-facing, they don't care too much how you dress (business casual vs. t-shirts). They may tolerate your business casual attire as long as you tolerate their t-shirts! Give it a shot. :)
    Whenever I deal with software developer types they always seem to be wearing ties.
    That's probably peculiar to your circles--I've known thousands and thousands of software developers and that's not a trend I've noticed.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I'll wear a polo and khakis and leather shoes not dressy dressy but leather non-sneakers or cords and a polo untucked of course
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When I was working (finished work study) I wore plain tshirts, athletic shoes, hoodies, and khaki cargo pants. I even got away with wearing a hat indoors.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Business casual usually.....buttons down and chinos/khakis. I'll be glad when I start working remotely one day #shortsandflipflopflow
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have a business formal dress code. Nice shirt, pants, and tie. I take it fairly seriously, and always wear nicer clothes and not just the minimum to meet the letter of the requirement. I have co-workers who wear short-sleeve button downs or no belt, and I think it reflects poorly on them, given our image.

However, if it were a more casual environment it would be very different. At my previous position, it was pretty much jeans and any shirt I wanted (had to be long pants for safety reasons). I think how well you dress really needs to be reflective of the culture in which you work. Wearing a nice suit in a business casual workplace makes you look out of place. Wearing a nice suit, sports coat, or vest in a more professional environment is smart.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ptilsen wrote: »
    We have a business formal dress code.

What kind of business?

I wear polos or button downs with jeans or cargo pants for the most part. No ties. Extra nice for board or CIO meetings usually.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zenhound wrote:
    So after the pleated pants discussion of the other day, I am curious how people dress for work.
    My facility is business casual. But some most wear a jacket but no tie. I do miss wearing a suit because at a certain level, it's a lot easier to just wear a suit. At other facilities, it extremely casual, jeans and sneakers are a norm. But it largely depends on the type of work that's going on at that location and the size of it.

I do prefer a more formal dress code but it largely depends on the level of the person and the business. I've worked at business (startups) where I really didn't care if someone wore shorts and sandals to work (usually the developers).

I am curious - do most people consider the dress code a benefit (ie. do you prefer to work someplace with a relaxed dress code?)
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Suit and tie, not bold, or out of the normal for "business". On certain weekends we may be able to wear business casual.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    What kind of business?
    Consulting firm/managed service provider.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Business formal dress code for our division and they are serious about it.

EDIT: After reading N2's post I have to update to agree with that. When not in meetings most of us don't wear the coat. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Business formal when I am attending meetings or giving a presentation.

Business formal (-tie and suit coat on a regular day)
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wore a Nirvana t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops today.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting, I see there is a wide variety.

I saw the pants discussion got removed for some reason. But it is related to jobs/career, no? Oh well.
  • Options
    Actually, after reading up on this I guess the definitions of the various levels of formality are really not universally agreed upon. My organization's dress code is closer to business casual. We have to wear ties, but not suits.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jeans, polo, sneakers. I'd wear bball shorts and tank tops if I could get away with it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I am curious - do most people consider the dress code a benefit (ie. do you prefer to work someplace with a relaxed dress code?)

Any dress code--relaxed or formal--is obviously a negative for the individual perspective as it doesn't allow one to dress as they otherwise would have. Most people are understanding when a dress code is driven by business requirements, especially if the company provides a clothing allowance. It's very rare I've ever been subjected to a dress code--most companies trust my judgement--but I remember one short-lived manager who asked me to nix my $200 shoes for a $35 pair that "looked more professional" and was "better for my feet". My feet feel sore just thinking about them. My clothing has been subjected to great scrutiny before making television appearances--but that seemed fair to me. And the company did cover any wardrobe that they felt was lacking for those television appearances.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I get to wear whatever I want icon_cool.gif .I usually go with shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a polo if I'm feeling lucky.
  • Options
    Any dress code--relaxed or formal--is obviously a negative for the individual perspective as it doesn't allow one to dress as they otherwise would have.
    Actually, the lack of a dress code has the same effect. Given no dress code, someone who wants to dress formally despite no requirement to do so will very likely be viewed differently based on that.
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Blues on monday, ABUs the rest of the week. Pretty casual I would say.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In a suit or proper business attire. I never wear a tie but all my colleagues do. It's funny when i first started working at current company i always wondered why IT guys wear suits even when they are just going next door to fix something, but i got used to it and in fact i like it.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    Probably the image the company wanted to display. Perception is reality, so if you look like a slob you probably are one, if you look well put together you probably are squared away.
  • Options
    a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jeans, polo, sneakers. I'd wear bball shorts and tank tops if I could get away with it.

This....could also apply to strip clubs. icon_wink.gif

Business casual for me, occasional "aloha fridays" every now and then.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Currently sitting in shirt and trousers with smart shoes. I think of it on the smart side of Business casual.

When I go to visit my clients then its full suit and tie, (with time taken to iron shirt ;) )

my new job is a science lab where you only deal with internal customers and managements. Scientists have a different attude to dress code, mainly becasue the lab i work at they have to wear work provided clothes. So the official dress for office workers is smart/casual. So for me this is smart jeans and a clean top.

I like to look like I have thought what I will wear and not just thrown on the first thing that comes to hand, I also cycle to work so I either have to take a change of cloths (that wont get screwed up in my back pack) or wear some thing I can cycle in.

But I do agree with one of the former posters, if there is no official dress code then dress how your customers dress, unless of course they are scruffy, always look "smart" and well turned out in front of customers.

And just wearing a suit does not make you smart, I have see people wearing jeans and t shirt, that are clean and tidy, looking far better than people dressed in suits that look like they went to bed in them .
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.