What's in your screen name?

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My handle is a character from The Simpsons. I really liked the show back when I got Internet access (late 90s), so I used a character name that was cool but obscure enough (it's only in 2 or 3 episodes) that not a lot of people use it.

I've been using my avatar for about 10 years. It is a picture I took of my cat shortly after I got my first digital camera. The pic showed my cat's personality when around people (very mellow, if you couldn't tell). Sadly he disappeared several years ago. icon_cry.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My handle is a character from The Simpsons. I really liked the show back when I got Internet access (late 90s), so I used a character name that was cool but obscure enough (it's only in 2 or 3 episodes) that not a lot of people use it.

I've been using my avatar for about 10 years. It is a picture I took of my cat shortly after I got my first digital camera. The pic showed my cat's personality when around people (very mellow, if you couldn't tell). Sadly he disappeared several years ago. icon_cry.gif

That's a shame you lost your cat. I like him. He clearly does not give a **** icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■

This is the thing with cats, if I ever have a pet, it'll be a dog (maybe 2), not a cat. Dont cats have a reputation for going AWOL? And I think ehnde is right too...!!

Great posts everyone!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was 1999 and I had just finished my time in the Marine Corps. AOL was the only ISP with a local phone number as I was out in the middle of nowhere, and every screen name I could think of was taken. So I just started adding random numbers to the end of my first name and went with the first one that came back as being available. I've been using it online ever since.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane was a world or warcraft character that I used.
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    and about avatars like ehnde said...

I am more interested in that question. I've never seen anything that I believed to have fit other than one that was already being used by someone (either on this forum or another) and therfore didn't pick one.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    This is the thing with cats, if I ever have a pet, it'll be a dog (maybe 2), not a cat. Dont cats have a reputation for going AWOL? And I think ehnde is right too...!!
    Well, I'd like to think my cat is living a good life and generally not giving a **** somewhere icon_cool.gif, but my area has predators of outdoor pets, such as coyotes, bobcats, and foxes. I've lost other cats (some disappear, but one time I found the remains), and one of my neighbors actually saw a coyote grab their cat in broad daylight. My cat was territorial and a few months before he disappeared I saw him facing off against a young bobcat in my front yard (I scared it away before they could start fighting), so the bobcat might have come back, or a coyote could have got him. But you never know.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    YouTube - The Trammps - Disco Inferno

this is where i get my name from. I find it hilarious being only 21.

my avatar is a character from The IT Crowd. shows hilarious and british. i recommend it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    YouTube - The Trammps - Disco Inferno

this is where i get my name from. I find it hilarious being only 21.

my avatar is a character from The IT Crowd. shows hilarious and british. i recommend it.

I've seen the IT Crowd before, at a friend's place ...pretty sick show, even have that one gothic guy in the server room who seemed like a vampire. My favorite part of the show is the recording they play when people call in, "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I got rid of my TV last summer ...waste of time, must truly be getting old, LOL.

I'm glad you said what your avatar was, I was thinking it was Richard Simmons all this time.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the Army and on tanks, so thats where the Armor comes from, the unit I was in was the 149th Armor Regiment.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Armor149 wrote: »
    I was in the Army and on tanks, so thats where the Armor comes from, the unit I was in was the 149th Armor Regiment.

My last assigned unit was 2/34 armor battalion, 1st infantry division

"Big Red One, patch on my shoulder!"

Hooah!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "What's in your screen name?"

a,h,r,i,k,n....ah, sometimes my wit even marvels me ;)

I made it up, sounded nice enough at the time, CreeD (had it way before the band) is usually taken everywhere so I figured my own word was pretty unlikely to ever be unavailable.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I ran a BBS long ago and the admin ID I used for bannings, etc was named "toaster" because if I used it, your account was toast.

When I left the world of BBS and moved to the WWW, I tried to take toaster with me but it was usually already taken when I would try to sign up for forums. I decided to change it up by adding my first initial and Jtoast was born.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine is my first name with the model and year of my favorite car.
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine is my first name with the model and year of my favorite car.

Tell me you sported one at least once before. I have a 99 Z28 T56. Im a Camaro fanatic :D
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrRyte-
    I chose that because my name is Howard WRIGHT. Even had it on the license plate of my car. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/225640/1995-infiniti-g
    It was a hit with all the chicks-icon_cool.gif

....till my girl moved in and forced me to make some changes.icon_cry.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Tell me you sported one at least once before. I have a 99 Z28 T56. Im a Camaro fanatic :D

No I never had a 68' Camaro which sucked. I did however have a 68 Firebird, a 70 Camaro Z28, and a 67 Nova so I jumped around a 68 Camaro but never owned one. I have used the SN since I was 14 and it just stuck.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Short for Bertie Bassett, the company mascot of Bassett's who make my favourite sweets - liquorice allsorts!

No idea why I chose it, though I seem to recall I was stuck for a name on MSN Grapevine chat in the 90's so it was probably the first thing that popped into my head at the time :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I never had a 68' Camaro which sucked. I did however have a 68 Firebird, a 70 Camaro Z28, and a 67 Nova so I jumped around a 68 Camaro but never owned one. I have used the SN since I was 14 and it just stuck.

Oh yes I love the first gen Birds too! Well pretty much any gen Fbody. An LS1 T56 combo has been my dream for quite some time, go get yours man!
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My screen name is the user ID my college assigned to me. It's first two initials and then part of my last name and some numbers.

My avatar is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. It is from the Columbus Zoo. They have a few rays that come up to the glass on the tank. I have a video of one eating right against the glass that is pretty awesome too.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I love anime, mechs specifically, and I love massive weapon overkill, I used to go by heavyarmscustom but I got tired of writing it out so I was watching Zoids one day and this was one of the mechs

Liger_Zero_Panzer_Pose001.png

Liger Zero Panzer - so I coupled that with one of my favorite numbers 919 and there you have it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • galorybergaloryber Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get mine from my name actually. (Gary Lobermier)

I just pull two letters at a time Ga-Lo-ry-be... and I added the "r" since it seems better that way. icon_lol.gif

It works well with a lot of peoples names I find. Try it out!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Mine is my last name with "erz" added to the end. My screen name back in the "Counter Strike" days.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got this from a handle i have been using on different forums for awhile...

Xcluziv = Exclusive typically means not with other things or not including other things

Just like many of us on the forum we have to set ourselves apart from the rest Another reason I like the S/N.

Also, we are the L.O.A.D.B (Last of A Dying Breed) this is where the taglien in my avi comes from
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine is from photography, which is another hobby of mine.

The term comes from the Japanese word boke (暈け or ボケ), which means "blur" or "haze", or boke-aji (ボケ味), the "blur quality".
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    back in the day i ... well... lets just say an acoustic coupler payphone and 386 laptop

it just kinda stuck
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »

I'm glad you said what your avatar was, I was thinking it was Richard Simmons all this time.

hhaha now thats hilarious
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    My name comes from my other profession. I am a firefighter in addition to being in IT. The .com part of my name was an accident when I joined this site icon_cyclops.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My name comes from roughly 14 years ago, when Diablo for PC was in full swing. It was the first game I was starting to play online, and a fellow gamer on the net suggested the name for me. I've used it ever since.

The avatar is a popular symbol of the US Army Infantryman, which has been my only other profession beyond IT.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was about 12 / 13 my friends and I were climbing trees in the rural backwoods of Michigan. My friends and I called each other "Choad Gomper" where choad sounding like toad meant sh*t and gomping refereed to eating. Yes, I grew up talking like this.

Later that night on a quest to access "Adult Files" on a BBS I was prompted to enter in a handle. I thought of a book title I had seen in a mall bookstore called "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton and applied my current language. From that point on I was Deathgomper.

The avatar comes from my love of the steak, egg and cheese bagel meal from McDonald's.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Mine I started using in the late 80's early 90's when I was a kid dialing into a few local BBSs. I thought it was funny because it said stuff like "Everyone has entered the room." and "Everyone says " when I went into the chat rooms. People were actually quite confused by it at the time. I've continued to use it off and on for various things over the years.