Options

Dealing with the opposite sex at work

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Or just go home and bang one out.

This.

When I first started dating my then gf now wife a coworker approached me. I told her I was in a relationship but she basically didn't care. Eventually it became too much to handle and I told her that I would tell HR. She told me she didn't care. Knowing she had a young son (whom I didn't want to go hungry) I did the next best thing: I told my gf. She talked to her and I didn't hear anything from here. Plus it was a major turn on to see my gf put her in her place.
    Plantwiz wrote: »

@shodown,
    If you are married, why do you think this woman is hitting on you?
    Just because a cute guy or girl says something nice or fun doesn't mean there is somethine else tied to it.

There are some females out there that SPECIALIZE in getting married men. There are CCIEs in adultery out there. No lie. I remember when I worked at a fast food joint and one of my managers said she was willing to **** on her fiance for some fun with me (I really should wanted to as she was so beautiful but I respect relationships so I just couldn't. I had more cold showers because of her than I care to admit).
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    There are some females out there that SPECIALIZE in getting married men.

People suck :)

There are men who hit on anything with legs and boobs though too.
    And one thing that helps is simply delaying marriage and serious relationships until this nonsense is flushed out and one CAN commit to a spouse for life. Nevertheless, crossing over that marriage line or forcing another to do so really says a bit about that person's character (IMO).

And those who have recommended methods to satisfy these feelings likely offer up good advice.

There are CCIEs in adultery out there. No lie. I remember when I worked at a fast food joint and one of my managers said she was willing to **** on her fiance for some fun with me (I really should wanted to as she was so beautiful but I respect relationships so I just couldn't. I had more cold showers because of her than I care to admit).

It would take a rare non-IT person who would know the significance of a CCIE over anyone else, so perhaps you just have a 'way' about you :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    It doesn't matter who is a married. Never shag a woman you work with. Honestly, it's the best policy!

My wife was a client of mine.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    It doesn't matter who is a married. Never shag a woman you work with. Honestly, it's the best policy!

+10,000
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Listen...don't be that "I'll run to HR guy...." believe me, you want to save HR for some serious issues. You go to HR for this....believe me, it will get out, and you will be looked at a bit differently...

If this lady is impacting your work directly, then yeah, that might be a bit different. But if she's just some chick in another department, who you might happen to bump into and she starts talkin' the yap...you just simply keep it moving.

Yes, sex at work is never a good idea, but we're human beings. Doing "the professional thing" only gets you so far. I work on a college campus and being here on the first week of the fall semester is always a treat for me. However, I'm just content with looking (from a respectful distance, and without looking like a creep about it...lol) I don't hit on students at all. (Professional and of course, wifey.... :) ).

Just to define sexual harassment for you guys, for sexual harassment to have been committed (and I'm talking about the US...don't know or care how other countries define it), the harasser MUST be told that the unwanted behavior is not welcomed. If the harasser continues to persist, then yeah you'll have to pursue other options. But, personally, and maybe it's a sexist thing on the part of males, I wouldn't run to HR UNLESS there was a serious issue...some chick wanting to hit on you....well some guys would call that a bonus. LOL. There would have to be some boiling bunnies or something to run to HR.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mad props to this thread as I have really enjoyed it! While I want to agree with the "don't crap where you eat", I happen to be in an office full of good looking women...oh you're having a problem with your computer? I'll be right over! All kidding aside, I treat each person equally as everyone is very very nice where I am at. To the op, reiterate that you are married and you believe in the institution of marriage (I would put it that way if being subtle isn't working). I have a lot of respect for married people as it is probably one of the hardest things to do (I always joke that I can barely put up with myself, can't imagine anyone else could). I also agree with leaving HR out of it, besides the stigma of being a male and saying you've be sexually harassed, HR should be the last resort. Having just completed my sexual harassment training it seems that the whole process is a giant pain in the butt and once that ball starts rolling there is no stopping it.

If you haven't seen "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People" I highly suggest it. At one point Sidney gets told by his boss that there have been complaints from the female staff members that he had been skulking by the water cooler. Sidney replies "but you always chat up the staff!" to which his boss replies "When I do it, it's called flirting. When you do it, it's sexual harassment." LOL love that film!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've been involved in some weird triangles... the strangest was the co-worker who's husband and she became roommates, and then he stepped out on her when she got pregnant, so she stepped out on him with me.

The one thing I've learned from getting involved with married women is that there is no such thing as sex good enough to put up with all that drama. I don't discuss my private life at work, and I don't bring my private life into work. If I get a whiff of a coworker flirting with me, I ignore it. If it persists, I tell her flat out that I'm not interested. Since I'm kind of a dick, and have a way of getting my point across, it tends to end there.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I work for a service provider, and no I think it's not healthy to be friends with clients at all (males or females). Your job is to fix the technical problems. Of course, random conversations with clients are okay, but not to the extent of IM's. I once had to train clients, most of them were females, and some IM'ed me technical questions ===> I didn't even reply, and they understood. Some asked me why I didn't reply, and I simply told them that I don't check my IM' messages, and advised them to use email instead.

If you are too friendly with clients, they will start asking you to do things outside the scope of your job (like shaging for example icon_lol.gif ) don't do it!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    If you are too friendly with clients, they will start asking you to do things outside the scope of your job (like shaging for example ) don't do it!

that could be seen as a perquisite of the job. anyway to the Op, if you get hot under the collar you could (literally) take matters into your own hands. wink wink icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ask her if she wants to see your Pez collection, that might scare her off.
  • Options
    MiskiMiski Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    For the people here that work with attractive women, what are some of your TIPS on dealing with it. I've been use to only seeing a bunch of IT guys or working from home. Recently I've been going on site and I notice them and they notice me. It wasn't a big deal until I worked with this one woman now she always sends me emails or is Im'ing me, and her tone is a little to open when we have phone conversations. Keep in mind I just got married last year so I wonder if marriage has anything to do with it.

Pretend to be oblivious to the open tone of her conversation, deflect from anything too personal and keep the work/home divide.

I'm fine with my male colleagues. They are all lovely but we understand banter and harmless flirting is just that, meaningless. I've seen some crazy drama that has led to the only other female in my department leaving because she slept with the manager who was married and the wife found out and it all blew up. Not worth it
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never shag a woman you work with.
    This /thread icon_lol.gif

Edit: Or just seed her good, and reap the consequences.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^ icon_lol.gif
    When I was young and dumb someone once told me the following: "Never get your honey from where you get your money...." :D
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never shag a woman you work with. Honestly, it's the best policy!

Unless your prepared to end up marrying them! Met my wife at work and it all worked out great :)

Just don't have affairs and don't get caught up in other peoples. And remember the fall out can be hard if it doesn't work out.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Ask her if she wants to see your Pez collection, that might scare her off.

That doesn't always work either. I once had a girl that I wasn't interested in at work that was looking for the horizontal mambo ask "What was I doing tonight?" As a joke I told her I was going to dust off my Star Wars collection. I wish I was making this up, but she asked to come over and see my light saber. I do have to give her credit though it was pretty funny.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That doesn't always work either. I once had a girl that I wasn't interested in at work that was looking for the horizontal mambo ask "What was I doing tonight?" As a joke I told her I was going to dust off my Star Wars collection. I wish I was making this up, but she asked to come over and see my light saber. I do have to give her credit though it was pretty funny.

LOL that is hilarious
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never shag a woman you work with.

/thread

as temptin as it may be, even if you're single, its just not a good idea...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

HAHA! We got a winner! May the force be with you.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□

I was going to stay out of this thread but that is just awesome, lol!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    shodown wrote: »
    For the people here that work with attractive women, what are some of your TIPS on dealing with it. I've been use to only seeing a bunch of IT guys or working from home. Recently I've been going on site and I notice them and they notice me. It wasn't a big deal until I worked with this one woman now she always sends me emails or is Im'ing me, and her tone is a little to open when we have phone conversations. Keep in mind I just got married last year so I wonder if marriage has anything to do with it.

Supposedly married men are "more emotionally available", thus the appeal.

Be friendly, but keep your distance.

And post pictures LOL
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    And post pictures LOL
    This! lol
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Come on guys, I thought we are computer nerds, girls never hit on us :P
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

They did in 1999 when the money and power was in IT. Today we are just nerds and the money has flowed elsewhere ;)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534

They dig the tan I get from my monitors. HAHA
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    never get your honey, where you get your money. a great pimp taught me that
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    They did in 1999 when the money and power was in IT. Today we are just nerds and the money has flowed elsewhere ;)

Much truth to this.

But, if you're still considered a top wage-earner in your organization, don't be surprised if you get hit on by gold-diggers.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    ^^^ icon_lol.gif
    When I was young and dumb someone once told me the following: "Never get your honey from where you get your money...." :D
    keenon wrote: »

LOL! That's what's up!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    keenon wrote: »

I see we had the same master. HAHA!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I see we had the same master. HAHA!
    yup icon_thumright.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Whatever you do...make sure you stay away from the boss' sister.....

(Yes that is based on a long story....but to satisfy the jist....no, nothing happened, BUT...the interest from both parties was there. I pretty much had to bite my tounge for the obvious reasons.....but the doe was definitely in my rifle sights...I just couldn't take the shot...for obvious reasons.)
This discussion has been closed.