Options

Are you surprised more people don't skip CompTIA and go for MS/Cisco certs?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was thinking with the cost of everything and deflation of a lot of currencies and all the debt going on with most consumers wouldn't it be wise to grab a certification that is specific to the industry you want to go into. Even if you don't really know what you want to do isn't there more return on knowledge to get a MS certification or Cisco certification rather than a Comptia.

Let me explain

IT professional 1 gets A+ or N+ or S+ for the cost of 300+ USD. If he gets all 3 it's looking like 1,000 USD. That's a lot of money for some Comptia exams

IT Professional 2 gets MS Windows 7 or Server certification or CCENT/CCNA. This would look a lot better IMO. Sure it would take a bit longer, but quality over quantity is critical. I would gladly trade all my Comptias for a CCNA or MS Windows 7 cert along with it's knowledge. Wouldn't generally speaking professional 2 be better off financially and credentially? The more I am exposed to this industry and chat with you all on this forum the more I feel that is the route most up and coming IT professionals should go.

Comments

• Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, some times it's not about what certs that person may want, but what their job wants them to have. Currently I'm taking Sec+ because of DoD 8570/military unit required, someone must have some good amount of stock in CompTIA to make us DoD people get them. I would rather finish up my studying for CCNA so I can move onto a higher level cisco cert. And yea..... 300 each..... no. I have to go through 5 day "classes" (bootcamps) to take the test. Those are about $2k each, and the exam is included in it. Took and passed N+ last week, tomorrow Sec+.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    CompTIA certs are more or less mandatory for most industry jobs as they are foundation exams. Microsoft and Cisco certs are whatever the employer (usually a contractor) requires for the purposes of maintaining some level of partner certification with Microsoft and Cisco and to be marketable with potential clients. Most of the stuff you pick up for Cisco and Microsoft certs will be forgotten or will never get used to a great degree beyond the low-end certs so the value is dubious unless you are one of those people who lives, eats, and poops specific tasks/rolls that don't fall under the umbrella of general IT work.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CompTIA is entry level. You want to break into the IT field: do those. Are you already an experienced IT pro? Microsoft or Cisco. I wouldn't trust someone with a 5 day boot camp with an MCITP:2008R2 managing my network. Put a guy with 5 years exp. and the same cert and we'll talk. I would also think twice about hiring a guy with a CCNA and no experience as a PC technician. He'd jump ship any time - he wants to be in networking, not PC repair. A+, Net+, Sec+ are great starting points. They get your foot in the door. After a couple years of experience, they really aren't needed (apart from Sec+ and DoD). Microsoft & Cisco become relevant then.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I was thinking with the cost of everything and deflation of a lot of currencies and all the debt going on with most consumers wouldn't it be wise to grab a certification that is specific to the industry you want to go into. Even if you don't really know what you want to do isn't there more return on knowledge to get a MS certification or Cisco certification rather than a Comptia.

Let me explain

IT professional 1 gets A+ or N+ or S+ for the cost of 300+ USD. If he gets all 3 it's looking like 1,000 USD. That's a lot of money for some Comptia exams

IT Professional 2 gets MS Windows 7 or Server certification or CCENT/CCNA. This would look a lot better IMO. Sure it would take a bit longer, but quality over quantity is critical. I would gladly trade all my Comptias for a CCNA or MS Windows 7 cert along with it's knowledge. Wouldn't generally speaking professional 2 be better off financially and credentially? The more I am exposed to this industry and chat with you all on this forum the more I feel that is the route most up and coming IT professionals should go.

Are you referring to the RIO(Return On Investment) being low, because Comptia requires recertification every three years?

I think the Comptia certs still do carry a lot of value, because they teach you the basics.

I can only tell my experience from a job hunters perspective. This has been my experience:

• Some companies will care if you have your certs, and others will not.

• Document…. document…What did you learn from each cert? Make sure you know what you learned and what you didn’t. Remember if it’s on your resume, it’s a talking point, or open for discussion.

• Think like a marketing department, and think about how your certifications, can help you land a job. Always be ready to speak about what you learned and your experience with systems and technologies that you have worked with or studied.

• The certification isn’t as important, as what you do with the knowledge.

• I believe there is a wall everyone could hit, where they get, or have to many certs and don’t have enough experience to back up those certs.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    • I believe there is a wall everyone could hit, where they get, or have to many certs and don’t have enough experience to back up those certs.

This is what I am worried about right now. I'm currently in a position that has absolutly nothing to do with IT, and I am pretty muched forced into it for, as far as I'm told, 2 years. By that time I am hoping to be working on CCIE written, or at least CCIE professional development reading, but will only have the expirence that I had of my last position being the only "networking" guy in a combat arms unit. I am just hoping that how I word everything will make up for some shortcomings when it gets time to get out of the military. Hopefully after this next 1 1/2 years, or shorter, I can get my wish and get put in the networking section.
  • Options

No doubt about it. Back in the days of help desk we used to joke about having your PHD and answering phones. Hello this is Dr So and So how may I assist you :)

I always have been a firm believer that your qualifications should match your certification or vice versa. I don't think a help desk tech should get their MCITP Virtualization or CCNP or higher. It looks bizarre.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are several valid reasons not to skip the Comptia certs.

First, every cert carries some independent value. A candidate with MCITP:EA, MCSE, A+, and Net+, ceteris paribus, is better than a candidate with just MCITP:EA and MCSE. Perhaps the former candidate isn't much better, but every little bit counts.

Second, the skill level and knowledge required to take a given cert will vary greatly. I would contend that A+, Network+, and Security+ combined are easier than any two exams of the MCITP:EA and SA tracks and easier than ICND2. Each as some incremental value and can be obtained more easily to help an individual get a promotion or better job (or job in the first place)

Similarly, you have to consider the value of time. I value my time at about $25 /hr... seriously. If it takes me 40 hours to pass 70-680, +$150, my "cost" is about $1150. If it takes me 20 hours to pass A+ & Net+ along with $500, my cost is $950. Those two certifications combined are roughly equivalent in market value with MCTS Win 7 Pro Conf, and possibly of higher value. As such, there is greater ROI with Comptia in this horrible straw man example. My point is that time is valuable and some people have limited time or an urgent need to get more certifications.

Even if one doesn't put a dollar value to one's time, also consider that the chances of failing an MS or Cisco exam attempt are astronomically higher than failing CompTIA, especially for entry-level professionals. Comptia exams are less valuable largely because they are easier to obtain. On the same note, study materials should never cost more than $200 per Comptia exam, while I would easily justify and recommend spending closer to $300 on a Cisco or MS entry-level exam, especially for someone without experience.

Anyway, I don't view any of this as mutually exclusive. Comptia's exams test different material than Cisco and Microsoft. There is no equivalent to A+ or Net+ by any other vendor, IMO. Yes, ICND1/CCENT overlaps with Net+, but they are different material. Microsoft's exams don't cover hardly any of the material in A+/Net+, and Microsoft's client exams are notorious for not actually certifying individuals on how to troubleshoot basic problems with computers running those operating systems (whereas A+ does do this fairly well).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    There are several valid reasons not to skip the Comptia certs.

First, every cert carries some independent value. A candidate with MCITP:EA, MCSE, A+, and Net+, ceteris paribus, is better than a candidate with just MCITP:EA and MCSE. Perhaps the former candidate isn't much better, but every little bit counts.

Second, the skill level and knowledge required to take a given cert will vary greatly. I would contend that A+, Network+, and Security+ combined are easier than any two exams of the MCITP:EA and SA tracks and easier than ICND2. Each as some incremental value and can be obtained more easily to help an individual get a promotion or better job (or job in the first place)

Similarly, you have to consider the value of time. I value my time at about $25 /hr... seriously. If it takes me 40 hours to pass 70-680, +$150, my "cost" is about $1150. If it takes me 20 hours to pass A+ & Net+ along with $500, my cost is $950. Those two certifications combined are roughly equivalent in market value with MCTS Win 7 Pro Conf, and possibly of higher value. As such, there is greater ROI with Comptia in this horrible straw man example. My point is that time is valuable and some people have limited time or an urgent need to get more certifications.

Even if one doesn't put a dollar value to one's time, also consider that the chances of failing an MS or Cisco exam attempt are astronomically higher than failing CompTIA, especially for entry-level professionals. Comptia exams are less valuable largely because they are easier to obtain. On the same note, study materials should never cost more than $200 per Comptia exam, while I would easily justify and recommend spending closer to $300 on a Cisco or MS entry-level exam, especially for someone without experience.

Anyway, I don't view any of this as mutually exclusive. Comptia's exams test different material than Cisco and Microsoft. There is no equivalent to A+ or Net+ by any other vendor, IMO. Yes, ICND1/CCENT overlaps with Net+, but they are different material. Microsoft's exams don't cover hardly any of the material in A+/Net+, and Microsoft's client exams are notorious for not actually certifying individuals on how to troubleshoot basic problems with computers running those operating systems (whereas A+ does do this fairly well).

I like your reasoning for not skipping Comptia Certs.

I’m currently studying for my Windows 70-680 certification and it takes a lot more time to lab ,read, and understand vs a comptia certification. Seems like the more advance Comptia certifications became easier for me to obtain.

Comptia seems to focus on more ..hey remember this table or that table, while Microsoft wants you to know exactly how to use their technology. At least this is my opinion.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    I would go as far as to say it would depend on ones HR department, the role and skills you would be performing.
    I agree that those 3 are easier and faster to obtain than 2 MCITP courses, however those 3 wouldn't be quicker than 1 MCITP in my opinion. Maybe the same duration.
    You make a valid point. I would contend though if you are planning on getting your CCNA or MCSE within the somewhat near future, then why bother with A+ or N+? I suppose it's based a lot on timing. Personally I don't like philosophy of getting all 3 Comptias before you start MS or Cisco. I don't see the value in that.
    You can get one study book for ~50 dollars with a version of the application or operating system you are studying/labbing. I don't buy into the cost model you represented at 300 per certification, not with Microsoft. ***Training only not the exam

I think you make a good point that they are not mutually exclusive so it would not make much sense for everyone to follow the A+, N+, and S+ trifecta. I think for some it might be the right way to go, but for others it might not. You also have to take into account which country the individual is from. In some countries CompTIA's are relatively unknown where as MS and Cisco is globally known.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only Comptia cert I am going to get is the Security+, again a DoD requirement. After that going the MCTS and MCITP route. Not interested in shelling out big bucks and re-certing every 3 years.
  • Options
    daviddws wrote: »
    The only Comptia cert I am going to get is the Security+, again a DoD requirement. After that going the MCTS and MCITP route. Not interested in shelling out big bucks and re-certing every 3 years.

You make a good point. The big 3 do expire.

I'm just shocked that so many people do the Comptia's and follow such a structures lesson plan. A+>N+>S+
  • Options
    I would go as far as to say it would depend on ones HR department, the role and skills you would be performing.
    Absolutely. In a security engineer role, Security+ might be more valuable than an MCSE, as an extreme example.
    I agree that those 3 are easier and faster to obtain than 2 MCITP courses, however those 3 wouldn't be quicker than 1 MCITP in my opinion. Maybe the same duration.
    I would agree with this, conditionally. With enough experience with the product being tested on, even two exams could be quicker (contrary to my claim), and one would usually be quicker. On the other hand, I would argue someone with almost no experience could get the Comptia trio faster than most of the MCITP:EA MCTSs. I would argue that even an experienced professional could get all three of them faster than 70-643. It all averages out to be about what I said, but the overall point is that someone with little to no experience can pick up a Comptia book, read it, and pass the test. The same cannot be said of Server 2008/R2 MCTS exams nor of ICND2.
    You make a valid point. I would contend though if you are planning on getting your CCNA or MCSE within the somewhat near future, then why bother with A+ or N+? I suppose it's based a lot on timing. Personally I don't like philosophy of getting all 3 Comptias before you start MS or Cisco. I don't see the value in that.
    If you have no experience or very little, the Comptia trio helps get you another $5,000 to $15,000 yearly income and fast. MCITP:EA is a long road, 6-12 months for most people. So is CCNA. MCTS exams are there own have very little value or market recognition, and so does CCNA. There is a lot of immediate payoff -- instant gratification, if you will -- for taking Comptia before starting into MS.
    You can get one study book for ~50 dollars with a version of the application or operating system you are studying/labbing. I don't buy into the cost model you represented at 300 per certification, not with Microsoft. ***Training only not the exam
    I've taken six MS and four Comptia exams in my career, not counting retakes, and here's what I did:
    A+: $35 Exam Cram book, $100 practice test = $135 total
    Net+: $35 Exam Cram book = $35 total
    Security+: $35 Exam Cram book. $100 practice test = $135 total
    70-270, 20-290, 20-291: $50 MS Press book each, $150 practice test each, $~1000 lab hardware (~300 each, if you want to look at it that way, even though individually they did not individually result in any cert) = $500 each
    70-680, 70-648, 70-643: $50 MS Press book each + $35 R2 Unleashed book, $150 practice test each, $200 lab hardware (thanks to virtualization) = $200 each plus $235 spread out over these and 70-649 = $258.75 each

Full disclosure is that I was provided some material for free, but I would have otherwise paid full price for it. I also feel the Comptia practice exams were wasted money, but I would still recommend them for others. I stand by my cost analysis. MS should be a solid $100 more minimum, even without counting the lab hardware.
    I think you make a good point that they are not mutually exclusive so it would not make much sense for everyone to follow the A+, N+, and S+ trifecta. I think for some it might be the right way to go, but for others it might not.
    I absolutely agree with you here. Comptia makes sense for an entry-level generalist working his or her way into many career tracks. Comptia doesn't make sense for a more established professional who should be going straight for his/her specialization. Given that opinion, I still stand by Comptia Trio followed by MCTIP:SA or EA track as the logical choice for an individual looking to work his way up to systems administration/engineering type work.
    You also have to take into account which country the individual is from. In some countries CompTIA's are relatively unknown where as MS and Cisco is globally known.
    Also very true. Comptia is just shy if worthless in the UK and not much better in Australia, as specific examples I'm claiming off of what I've seen from other professionals on forums.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the OP,

A+ (IMO is worthless, If you are a true techie, you should know the ins and outs of a PC etc)
    Pretty sure I knew most of the info for A+ when I was like Middle School/High School.

Network+: Good to take IMO. Gives you a good foundation into the Networking Path.
    Security+: Another Good one, bought Darrill Gibson's book ($30?) Read it cover to cover, pretty much all you need.

Also to OP, Network+ can be added to MCSE as an elective, and Security+ would give you MCSE Security I believe.
    Not sure if the is applied to Server 08 certs.

But you also have to look at it this way. I'm going by the MCSE Cert line.

70-270 - Config Win XP $125.00 you pass this? You are MCP.

Then you need to pass 3 more certs $375 for MCSA

Then you need to pass another 3 certs $375 for MCSE

Security+ = $250 Done!
    Network+ = $250 Done!

And you have to remember most recruiters are not very technical.

If you list your MS Test say 70-270, 271, 290, 291 etc. The wouldn't have a clue.

But you list Security+ or Network+, ooh he has a security/network certification.

So really, for people looking to BREAK into the IT field? I think CompTIA is absolutely the way to go. Just Avoid A+ (the cert is worthless)
    Unless you really need it for a Help Desk position or something.

That's my .02
    X
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You make a good point. The big 3 do expire.

I'm just shocked that so many people do the Comptia's and follow such a structures lesson plan. A+>N+>S+

I had earned my A+ and Network+ about 8 years after I broke into IT. At the time, I was still a college dropout and was about 2 years into ERP admin status. However, I thought I was going to get an MCSA/MCSE in 2003 and at the time, the A+ and Network+ counted as an elective for the MCSA. Then, I got the current job I'm at now (happened about 3 months after I earned both CompTIAs.)

I also took A+ because I wanted to make sure I didn't fail Network+. I attempted the first Network+ exam and failed it by about 3 questions. I got burned on Novell questions. When I took the N10-003, I got no Novell questions, and was able to go to town. When I started my current job, I had to put certs on the backburner.

It wouldn't be until 2010 that I started back up on certs and got earn every cert + degree on my cert list (including the CIW certs that are no better than emergency TP...)

My CompTIAs are lifetime, and since I'm not DoD or going the DoD route, I will never need to join the CE program. I don't plan on taking the CASP because a) it is not lifetime and b) I would rather take the SSCP and/or CISSP. I really want the PMP, but I'm going to take your advice and wait until after I'm done with grad school. I'm even gonna take ITIL too. (I'm all about IT management jobs from now on... :D )
  • Options
    cvuong1984 wrote: »
    A+ (IMO is worthless, If you are a true techie, you should know the ins and outs of a PC etc)
    Pretty sure I knew most of the info for A+ when I was like Middle School/High School.
    I disagree with this. Most adults, young and old, who work with computers on a daily basis do not have anywhere near A+ knowledge. Most of them don't know what RAM is, much less how to hit "F8" to get into Safe mode. Yes, an IT professional worth paying will probably know the majority of the A+ material without needing to study, but the A+ helps prove they have at least some of that knowledge. I mean, if you're saying studying for it is worthless for a natural techie, I agree. Anyway, it's moot to argue about the knowledge provided by the cert since the market value of it is undeniable. Someone with no other certs will have a harder time than someone with just A+, all other things equal.
    cvuong1984 wrote: »
    Also to OP, Network+ can be added to MCSE as an elective, and Security+ would give you MCSE Security I believe.
    Not sure if the is applied to Server 08 certs.
    All three and Server+ can be used as electives for MCSA and MCSE, but not with any current-generation MS certs. MCSE will be around another year or so, IMO, so I don't think this part adds too much value. However, it is a good point since Comptia was the easiest and best way to get MCSA/MCSE electives. It made sense to get Comptia for anyone getting those.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I had earned my A+ and Network+ about 8 years after I broke into IT. At the time, I was still a college dropout and was about 2 years into ERP admin status. However, I thought I was going to get an MCSA/MCSE in 2003 and at the time, the A+ and Network+ counted as an elective for the MCSA. Then, I got the current job I'm at now (happened about 3 months after I earned both CompTIAs.)

I also took A+ because I wanted to make sure I didn't fail Network+. I attempted the first Network+ exam and failed it by about 3 questions. I got burned on Novell questions. When I took the N10-003, I got no Novell questions, and was able to go to town. When I started my current job, I had to put certs on the backburner.

It wouldn't be until 2010 that I started back up on certs and got earn every cert + degree on my cert list (including the CIW certs that are no better than emergency TP...)

My CompTIAs are lifetime, and since I'm not DoD or going the DoD route, I will never need to join the CE program. I don't plan on taking the CASP because a) it is not lifetime and b) I would rather take the SSCP and/or CISSP. I really want the PMP, but I'm going to take your advice and wait until after I'm done with grad school. I'm even gonna take ITIL too. (I'm all about IT management jobs from now on... :D )

Good write up.

I'll tell you what even though I am doing the PMP the CISSP is the way to go. I know a lot of high level people from the positions I have obtained and most of the operational guys like directors, high level team leads, process managers, operational managers have Six Sigma, CISSP, ITIL. Those 3 are the only certifications I see the bigs having. I lurk linked in consistently reading peoples profiles looking at jobs and requirements. Always keeping myself aware of the market. I would consider myself and expert in the field if not only for my OCD behavior and obsession with social media. Trust me when I say this, as of now CISSP, ITIL V3 Foundations, and Six Sigma (If in quality, healthy care, manufacturing) are the big 3. I see it time and time again.

The PMP is great if you want to be a PM or even leverage into a BA. But for raw leadership and management go with the ones I suggested. ERP you know my goal is not a PM it's a BA and that's where I am attempting to head. It's been a battle but I am making it there. I had several BA interviews in the cities, but I couldn't pull the trigger. My kids just were up rooted from St. Louis to Rochester and to uproot them again would be tough.

Even though I am driven to succeed I just can't find myself putting my own wants and needs infront of my kids.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I am surprised that more people do not skip these. I'd never get a CompTIA certification unless it was mandatory for a job or something. Something like Cisco or MS has a much better ROI IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am surprised that more people do not skip these. I'd never get a CompTIA certification unless it was mandatory for a job or something. Something like Cisco or MS has a much better ROI IMO.

I completely agree. Security+ and A+ have some value, but Cisco and MS is where it's at.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I completely agree. Security+ and A+ have some value, but Cisco and MS is where it's at.

I agree they have value. The value people place on them is relative, though. I went from healthcare into IT. My first certs were A+, N+, S+. They gave me a good foundation for the MS certs I've gotten since then. There is also value in that you can use them as electives for Microsoft. I used all 3 for my MCSE:Security.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549

This depends on your working environment. I work on Solaris, so anything Microsoft has no meaning for me at all. I'm required to have Solaris 10 Admin Certification and the Security+ which I have. Last month I applied for a position that required the Linux+, so to rule out CompTIA altogether will close some doors for you.
  • Options
    The PMP is great if you want to be a PM or even leverage into a BA. But for raw leadership and management go with the ones I suggested. ERP you know my goal is not a PM it's a BA and that's where I am attempting to head. It's been a battle but I am making it there. I had several BA interviews in the cities, but I couldn't pull the trigger. My kids just were up rooted from St. Louis to Rochester and to uproot them again would be tough.

Even though I am driven to succeed I just can't find myself putting my own wants and needs infront of my kids.

You may want to look into getting into higher ed. They are ALWAYS looking for someone who can translate business requirements into technical for whatever ERP they are using (be it PeopleSoft, Banner, or even a homegrown legacy system.) You will gain good experience while enjoying a semblence of a relaxed atmosphere.

They will really be impressed with ITIL. It will make up for any deficiencies you may have in a particular module, and when you spout out ITIL processes, you'll really shine in that type of environment.
  • Options
    You may want to look into getting into higher ed. They are ALWAYS looking for someone who can translate business requirements into technical for whatever ERP they are using (be it PeopleSoft, Banner, or even a homegrown legacy system.) You will gain good experience while enjoying a semblence of a relaxed atmosphere.

They will really be impressed with ITIL. It will make up for any deficiencies you may have in a particular module, and when you spout out ITIL processes, you'll really shine in that type of environment.

ERP

When you say higher ed are you referring to masters in finance or accounting?

What do you think abou this (http://unex.uci.edu/certificates/business_mgmt/business_analyst/)
  • Options
    ERP

When you say higher ed are you referring to masters in finance or accounting?

Neither. I meant as a source of employment... :)
  • Options
    Neither. I meant as a source of employment... :)

You sold me at relaxed! Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    victorastaciovictorastacio Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went directly into Cisco in my IT career, my first certification was my CCNA, it is true that CompTIA does hold value, my first job 1 year ago when I was 19 was a senior network administrator position in Afghanistan, they required the Security+ in order to be DoD/8570 compliant, and make "sure" you knew some type of security, personally, Security+ will be my only CompTIA cert, Cisco & Microsoft is where the money is at !!.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, a lot of companies require CompTIA certs for entry level positions. Also, a lot of educational institutions tell students that they should go for the A+ and Network+ ASAP. There is a good chance that the student might not know about any other certs prior to receiving this advice so they blindly follow it.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    QUOTE=jamesp1983;601950] There is a good chance that the student might not know about any other certs prior to receiving this advice so they blindly follow it.[/QUOTE]

That's a scary thought.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    QUOTE=jamesp1983;601950] There is a good chance that the student might not know about any other certs prior to receiving this advice so they blindly follow it.

That's a scary thought.[/QUOTE]

Scary in what way? The certs are pretty much mandatory if you want an IT job other than router and switch fondling and many educational institutions are CompTIA authorized to give the exam to their students and structure their courses accordingly.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CompTIA certs are more or less mandatory for most industry jobs
    They are?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brownwrap wrote: »
    This depends on your working environment. I work on Solaris, so anything Microsoft has no meaning for me at all. I'm required to have Solaris 10 Admin Certification and the Security+ which I have. Last month I applied for a position that required the Linux+, so to rule out CompTIA altogether will close some doors for you.

I knew someone would say this icon_wink.gif I agree, I was just mentioning the most popular Network Infrastructure, and Server OS certifications that have a good ROI. I wasn't ruling out CompTIA altogether, because I do believe that the A+ and Security have value. When I was first looking for work many of the recruiters wouldn't consider me because I didn't have the A+.

I forgot about the Linux+. The fact that you can get LPIC-1 by passing the Linux+ was good move on CompTIA's part.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I agree they have value. The value people place on them is relative, though. I went from healthcare into IT. My first certs were A+, N+, S+. They gave me a good foundation for the MS certs I've gotten since then. There is also value in that you can use them as electives for Microsoft. I used all 3 for my MCSE:Security.

That is why I said SOME value... icon_lol.gif