Options

Anyone else starting the new WGU Masters of Networking degree May 1st?

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Most of the time it's walk out of military and into contracting, main issue is the clearance. They're expensive, and most companies would prefer not to pay for it (in general it's cheaper to train someone for a job than it is to get a qualified person a clearance).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    themagicone - Regarding contract jobs, search on the top 100 defense contractor companies (there is a list out there somewhere) and start looking at the top ten or twenty, at their job postings. Or just look on clearancejobs.com for the companies who have contractor jobs.

I was never in the military, but I had a friend who was a contractor (also never in the military) and she told me about an open position, and that company was willing to pay for my Secret clearance to fill the position. (Then my clearance level increased as I changed companies/positions over the years...) so, it comes down to how badly a company needs to fill a position, and how quickly - usually there is a contract requirement that a certain percentage of positions must be filled by a certain number of days into a contract (although it's sometimes not enforced). You can get an interim Secret clearance in a matter of days, if you have a clean record.

Without a clearance, you could look for jobs requiring Secret clearance (look for the words something like "must be eligible for a Secret clearance"). Those who already have clearances do have an advantage. Getting a job that provides that clearance is the hardest part - once you've got it, it's easier to stay within the system and find other jobs that require your clearance level.
    ~ elizabeth
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I had a secret clearance when I was in the AF 12 years ago. Almost higher than secret though because I had access to a lot of areas that no one else in my job had for some reason. Only issue I'd have re-gaining my clearance is 2x bankruptcy.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Back on the original topic, I was wondering how this degree is turning out? How are the classes? As I understand there are no certs.. can you give us some details on what this has been like?
  • Options
    The degree is strictly writing papers. There is one class with a test but its really easy and worth 1 CU. Most papers seems to be repeating themselves. And most are just what I call "Bull-s##t" papers. Why did this happen, who, what, how can it be prevented, etc. Not much thought has to go into it just jot down some ideas and most of the time it passes. I can't say I've learned that much in the first half of the degree. The last few classes go into some stuff that seems interesting but I'll see. Most of the class I've done so far keep going back to risk management which is getting BORING!
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm glad you are updating this, I had considered it after I finish my B.S. at WGU (8 classes to go), but I think I'll stick with my original plan of WGU MSISA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in the MBA program and like Magic mentioned it's a lot of writing. They are strict on what they accept in the MBA program however. I am currently working on Supply Chain and finished HR and eBusiness.

I am learning a lot from the program more than I expected. If I had to rate it from a scale to 1-10 (5+) with a 10 being Stanford or Harvard Business.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    The MSISA program is a lot of writing as well, and powerpoint.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    I got in the same program with no IT major or background
    htebazile wrote: »
    I just started the MS ISA program today, I already have the CEH so I got 3 credit units for that course - so the course FNV2 requirement is met. If you have CHFI, you'll get another 3 credit units for it and the FMV2 course requirement is met.

No credit was given for my CISSP, but when I told my enrollment advisor that I am a CISSP, she said that I was eligible for the program based on that - before she received my undergrad transcript showing my computer science B.S.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    The degree is strictly writing papers. There is one class with a test but its really easy and worth 1 CU. Most papers seems to be repeating themselves. And most are just what I call "Bull-s##t" papers. Why did this happen, who, what, how can it be prevented, etc. Not much thought has to go into it just jot down some ideas and most of the time it passes. I can't say I've learned that much in the first half of the degree. The last few classes go into some stuff that seems interesting but I'll see. Most of the class I've done so far keep going back to risk management which is getting BORING!

Thank you for letting me know some details. So is it safe to say that its 'easy, yet mundane' ?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do you recommend this masters program? or would you choose a different one if you had the chance?
  • Options
    If they changed the program to be more about networking VS risk management I would recommend it. The courses are too broad, not really much depth. TGT2 was a joke. As a experiment for the paper I just basically filled it with bs, answered the task question with very simple answers, copied like 3 pages from another paper I wrote earlier and really didn't put much of any effort into it. I got all 4's. If I would of turned that in for a degree at any other school they probably would of thrown it in my face with a F. I just can't justify quitting though, with only 4 classes left I am too close to getting a masters - be it not really worth much BUT it's a masters none the less.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LMAO! icon_lol.gif Your post just made my night. Just hang in there. You're almost done.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Thank you for posting your experience with this program. I was pretty sure I was going to start this program in a few months but am a little hesitant with your reviews as I was expecting more of an emphasis on network management/design than what I think the curriculum actually entails.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Wow.

You make me glad I'm not in that program. The names of the classes suggest otherwise, but I guess the best I can go off is what you report here.

I had a paper or two get kicked back when I first started out (MSISA), but I just started being really strict to the rubrics, and wound up with papers usually twice as long as their suggestion. (Disliked the grader's response of "insufficient detail' ... so I figured I would just talk their heads off instead. ... makes assignments take a little longer, though.)

It's kinda funny that you say every class has to do with risk. I can say that risk does play a part in the MS:ISA curriculum, but not to the extent that I'd say every single paper I've written about has been about risk. It would tend to make the program kind of boring.

If you would be so kind, after you complete the program, please make sure to inform the mentors about your problems with the course content (being too risk-focused). That way, the program can get repaired, for the future students (WGU does listen to their students and could adjust the program accordingly.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    JayLQueJayLQue Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I start May 1st on the new masters program. Just realized that it is exactly 2 years from when I started my BS degree (which took 16 months). My plan is to finish in a year. Hopefully finish my CCNP around the same time. And depending on my desire for more school I might jump on a BSEE, which with a MS should only take 1-2 terms. Anyways... Good luck to everyone else.

Hey so any advice on taking this cousre Im about to start also
  • Options
    JayLQueJayLQue Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Need some advice on M.S. Information Technology—Network Management at WGU
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you at least read the whole thread? So far, themagicone gave throughout feedback about this program. You should keep in mind that the program is only 3 months old so take that with a grain of salt. You probably won't find much advice about this program outside of this thread. Although, I should mention that there is another forum designed specifically for all WGU students. You can google them up, and hopefully you find some answers there.
  • Options
    Been a while since I have posted. Work/Life took over and I have not had any time to work on my school work. Which, is bad BUT I did finish 15.5 CU's in 1 term. I have one paper to finish to get to 16, I'm on the odds that isn't going to happen. Work all week (80+ hours), then on October 3rd I leave for my honeymoon in Ireland for 4 weeks. New term starts Nov 1st. I am not even sure at this point if I want to finish the degree. Way too much on my plate at this moment.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulate your SO on my behalf, themagicone, for planning such a great and timely getaway for the honeymoon - SO's seem to have a knack for sensing when you need a break from work/studies, etc. When you return you will be in a much better frame of mind to approach the degree completion.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Finally an update! Been working on my 2nd term for 2 months. Just finished 5 CU's, 2.75 classes to go then capstone. Tonight just blew my mind once again. Taskstream is garbage, pointless, whatever... Not the service but how WGU grades. It beyond that though, it is how the tasks are written. The masters classes are suppose to be written where you have to do research, invoke personal learning, and take time to complete a task. That is utter BS... Course mentor says you can do w/e you really want, try that and you'll never pass. They want answer to the rubics straight to the point. Simple as that. The task I was on asked for a description of some items on a budget request. Do they give you the items? Um no, nor anything to base them off of. How am I suppose to research that? Am I supposed to re-write the task myself? Anyways... about around the 3rd part they ask for a description again. I kept failing the task. Not understanding why they asked for the same thing twice, I just copied the descriptions from the first portion into the 3rd. Guess what? It passed.

There is no real learning going on. It's just answer the question in the rubics, submit, pass. Most of the questions can be answered by just making up some random BS or by google. I know, I could ignore that and just do my thing, research, learn, etc. Just wish there would be a reward if I did that. Its pass or fail.

Oh well... getting close to being done. I was thinking of transferring to the ISA degree but I would have to 19 credits more. I only have 8 now.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear you're almost done, even if the program's been a nuisance.

It's a shame the program is so poorly done. WGU is capable of so much better, and the competency approach lends itself to a potentially fantastic learning experience if done right.

I had to bail out of an MSOL program last summer due to it being 4-week classes (rough) and some household issues. Kicking around the idea of going into another Master's program, but I doubt it will be WGU unless I go for the MBA-ITM.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Good to know I'm not the only one questioning this degree... I'm in my first class, not that great. I'm thinking of just getting my CISSP instead
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Here are the "areas of study" for the WGU Master's degrees:

MS, IT Network Management:
    Risk Management
    Current and Emerging Technology
    Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance
    Technical Writing
    Power, Influence, and Leadership
    Advanced Networking Technology
    Network Security Challenges
    Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response
    Information Technology Management
    Technological Globalization

MS, Information Security and Assurance:
    Network Security Practices and Policies
    Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
    Hacking
    Cyberlaw, Regulations and Compliance
    Vulnerability Assessment
    Forensics and Network Intrusion
    Risk Management
    Security Policy and Standards
    Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response

MBA, IT Management: (this one categorizes under "Business")
    Creating and Maintaining Business Value
    Innovation
    IT Project Management
    IT Strategic Solutions
    Leading People and Teams
    Management and Strategy
    Products and Customer Relationship Management

MBA (classic MBA):
    Creating and Maintaining Business Value
    Innovation
    Leading People and Teams
    Management and Strategy
    Products and Customer Relationship Management

Note: I excluded Nursing, Teaching, and Healthcare Master's degrees.

If you're thinking of getting your CISSP, you should transfer to the MS:ISA program, as that will parallel a lot more closely with your studies. Of course, the degree will probably be a bit easier if you're already studying for the CISSP (since the degree is designed to prepare you for that) ... but it would shore up the CISSP more, if that makes any sense.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was thinking of doing the MS in Networking, but after reading through some of this, I am going to hold off for a bit. I'll probably start on some Cisco certs instead.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I am curious about this statement. Do engineering schools graciously waive credits for folks with masters degrees? I somehow think that is not the case. I can only believe that they would waive requirements for relevant courses completed... and considering that it is WGU (no offense, it is just based on the curriculum for the program), I cannot see that being applicable.

In most traditional universities, a course requirement can be waived at the discretion of the Dean in charge of whatever major field you are studying. It's a fact. With WGU, I do not know.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In most traditional universities, a course requirement can be waived at the discretion of the Dean in charge of whatever major field you are studying. It's a fact. With WGU, I do not know.

WGU does not accept transfer credit from any MA/MS already earned at another institution in place of their own modules or classes...whatever you call them. It's an odd policy but, if you already have advanced degrees, WGU should be pose no difficulty as long as you have time and still have the motivation. Then again, traditional universities can have some of the most illogical policies one could imagine. No "perfect" university exists.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    instant000 wrote: »
    If you're thinking of getting your CISSP, you should transfer to the MS:ISA program, as that will parallel a lot more closely with your studies. Of course, the degree will probably be a bit easier if you're already studying for the CISSP (since the degree is designed to prepare you for that) ... but it would shore up the CISSP more, if that makes any sense.

i asked to go into the sec. masters and they told me now i have to have a CISSP before i could start it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never heard of that requirement. Interesting.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's silly, I don't have a CISSP, and my undergrad wasn't security focused either. I wouldn't think you'd need a CISSP to finish this program. I would clarify that, it sounds like someone may have the wrong information.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.