Options

WGU trying to finish in 1 term - KET1 Java questions

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you for the info. I think I'm mostly confused with the examples from the chapter 9 on polymorphism. I've seen lots of examples and I completely understand them, but something about the rectangle measuring example trips me up. If the author didn't use poor programming practice such as

- Interface named "Measurer"
    - Method named "measure"
    - Instance of class Measurer named "aMeasurer"
    - Instance of class Measurer named "measurer"

I think I could understand it more. I used to work at a software company where I sometimes would program little bits and pieces. If I used variable/class names like that, I would have been fired immediately.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Dietel book. :)

I haven't started the Java class at WGU yet (I'm in my first term) so I have't read chapter 9. However, I work at a software company and have a lot of experience coding. I did take a class on C# and read several books on C#, JavaScript, Java, HTML, VB.NET, SQL, ect.

I agree the example you show is a poor way to introduce a concept. I am a bit confused that you say an instance class of aMeasurer - you are instantiating an instance of your interface? I am only familiar with applying an interface to what we would call a 'Worker' class. The best way I've found is to do like C# and place an I in font of the name of each interface. For example, C# includes an interface named IDisposable. Any class implementing IDisposable must include a method named Dispose. This makes sure that any object (instance class) which should have a way to dispose of itself includes such code. That's really all it is.

If you can post more information about the specific question I can try to help.
    petedude wrote: »
    Let me take a quick stab at this.

Polymorphism in Java terms basically means you can have multiple methods with the same name doing different things, but you have to somehow differentiate them. So, you could have, using a restaurant analogy:

MakeMyOrder(drink, what kind)

as well as

MakeMyOrder(meat dish, what kind, how well cooked)

and Java could tell by your parameter list which one you're after.

Let me know if that helps. . . or doesn't. :)

I think what you are trying to describe is called Overloading. You can make several methods with the same name but different signatures and the correct method will be used based on the parameters you pass it.

For example, in our Honda class we could have:

Go(int Speed, string Destination)

Go(int Speed, string Destination, int passengers)

If I call the method like this:

Honda myhonda = new Honda() //instantiate an instance of our class Honda
    myHonda.Go(10, "Seattle"); //this would use the first method
    myhonda.Go(10, "Seattle", 2); //this would use the second method
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I'm in the Software emphasis at WGU and I was wondering if after I complete the 2 Java courses KET1 (Indtro to Programming) and KFT1 (Objected Oriented Design and Development), will this be enough to go ahead and take ANV1 which is the java cert course? Or will I need to do some additional studying after KET1 and KFT1 before I'm ready to take the Java Cert exam?

I'm coming into all of this with no prior programming knowledge except Javascript.

Thanks!
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    briandy81 wrote: »
    I'm in the Software emphasis at WGU and I was wondering if after I complete the 2 Java courses KET1 (Indtro to Programming) and KFT1 (Objected Oriented Design and Development), will this be enough to go ahead and take ANV1 which is the java cert course? Or will I need to do some additional studying after KET1 and KFT1 before I'm ready to take the Java Cert exam?

I'm coming into all of this with no prior programming knowledge except Javascript.

Thanks!
    I was wondering this as well, as I might switch to the software emphasis from the database emphasis. Not sure how many people on tech exams have completed the java cert exam through the software emphasis though. :)
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So redline5th, where do you stand now? What remains to complete this thing within the term?
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i got the gui done and exit button and now im stuck

any help would be great

this is where I'm at... this java stuff sucks
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Can you guys post the code you are stuck on?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i finally finished ... now im on kft1 task 4 ... i havent done parts 1~3 because i cant find a partner
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    i finally finished ... now im on kft1 task 4 ... i havent done parts 1~3 because i cant find a partner

I'm planning to take that Java course probably this time next year, but I don't think that helps you now.
  • Options
    techgirl23techgirl23 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ARRG! I too am trying desperatly to finish KET1. I have read that entire MONSTER of a book that they are using through Wiley Plus. I have spent weeks trying to get through it and all the problems and review. I've been working on the darn thing since April and I'm still not done. I have not done anything with Java before and had years ago some C++. MANY years ago.

I have to get this done. I'm lost. I'm on Task 1, I have developed the GUI and I've started to program the ENTER button information. I don't understand how/where to insert the data into my two dimmensional array. I have declared the array.

I'm so relieved that I am not the only one struggling with this. I breezed through Chapters 1-4 and then stuck.

I have lost MONTHS of my life on this, and it will not likely be anything I'll ever use. icon_sad.gif

Thank you all for the recommendations on the other book. I am going to find it and buy it tonight... praying for an electronic version desperatly. Any help/suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    You insert data into an array by indexing into it and using and assignment operator. Try this example:

String myString = textbox1.text;

String myArray[] = new String[9];

myArray[1] = myString;
  • Options
    techgirl23techgirl23 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the sample Carl. My issue is more that... how do I get information from a form into the array? I've been able to use the array run through the compiler to just add to an array using the scanner or initilizing in the code directly, but when using a form... haven't been able to determine to tell the data where to go.
  • Options
    Is it a textbox on the form? I think in swing the textboxes have a getText() method, I would try that first like this:

nameTextbox.getText();
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    techie2012 wrote: »
    KFT1 took me about 6 weeks to complete.
    KFT1 took me about 6 weeks to complete.

Y'all are just plain mean. :D

The Java courses took me long enough that my WGU gig ran an extra term because of them. :: sigh :: And it's not like I never programmed before that, either!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'll be taking these classes soon. Few months if I keep accelerating like I've been.

One thing I read that I'm not going to like is the must find a partner. I agree with the applicability of remotely working with other programers, but with how WGU is set up, you are at the mercy if there's even people at the same stage you are at. I actually do a little java at work, have been teaching myself for a little bit now. But, I work with a java guru, so I'm not concerned with getting stuck (well, not for too long anyways). I just hope when the time comes I can find a partner that wants to knock it out fast.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll be switching from the Database emphasis to the software emphasis when my term ends in September. Before then, I'll be completing KET1/KFT1 and after that I'll complete the third and final java course. I'll be looking for a partner for KFT1 in late August or early September.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Hey guys!

I got task 1-3 in KFT1 done. They approved my idea paper for technical writing. I've written my 20 pages. While they're grading my paper I'll start on KFT1 task4.

After I get these 2 knocked out I'll be ready for my final capstone Starting to see the end... And hopefully a vacation.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    redline5th wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I got task 1-3 in KFT1 done. They approved my idea paper for technical writing. I've written my 20 pages. While they're grading my paper I'll start on KFT1 task4.

After I get these 2 knocked out I'll be ready for my final capstone Starting to see the end... And hopefully a vacation.

Very nice!!

The light at the end of the tunnel is near, keep it up!
  • Options
    I've submitted my proposal for SBT1 technical writing, anxiously awaiting response(s) on that and working on KFT task 4. Only a hair less than 2 months left in my term. I'm also about done with project 4 in KFT1. What a pain... it's a real booger.

When I'm done with KFT1 I'll be selling my Java book (Deitel). Anyone interested? I payed $35 on amazon.

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    this is where I'm at... this java stuff sucks

The graphics stuff is one thing Sun could have done much, much better at. They made the graphics implementation overly hard and kludgy.

Now, to the exit button question. . . you have to define event handlers for the buttons, for starters.
    kgb wrote: »
    One thing I read that I'm not going to like is the must find a partner.

You just need someone to review things and fill out a form. You can even use different people for each task if you have to, and you can even utilize WGU BS-IT alumni.

The partner thing is one of the OOP class items that screams for revision. It's not easy, though:
    Yes, it pays to have exposure to group work. Yes, it pays to have the experience of working with multiple people, often in different time zones, to accomplish a given task. I really get all that. But, you need something more substantive than having people simply rubber stamp your program (task 1) or listen to you babble on over some slides (task 3). But, to be fair to WGU, without letter grades how can you design a more substantive team effort and grade it fairly? The team leader may put in more work and not get anything beyond the same 3 from Taskstream.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Yes, you define event handlers for each button.

For ex: if you're designing your GUI you can actually double click on the exit button to define code for that button.

From what I've gathered the partner thing is just busy work for the most part. It's good stuff, but it's not exactly even required.

• Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started KET1, and I feel like the book "Horstmann, Java for Everyone" is going to take for ever. I have spent a full week on this and only on Chapter 2. I see that people are saying to use "Java for programmers", is this the best noob book? I have very little programing experience, and need something that will carry me thought both KET1 and KFT1. Makes perfect since to just learn Java and don't worry about the book so much. I have these last two classes and I am done. I have already finished my Capstone and all my other courses. I have put this off mostly because I knew it would take sometime.

Thanks
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    I think it depends on whether or not you are planning on doing development/java work outside of school. If you are and it's totally new to you, in order to learn it, it will probably take some time.

If however, all you care about is passing these classes my recommendation is to skim through the book(s) and dive into the assignments utilizing google.
  • Options
    chob11chob11 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for Java for Programmers by Deitel. All you need for KET1 and KFT1. It has a ton of example code that you can just change up to the task requirements.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I really want to finish up, I have a little over 4 months to get KET1 and KFT1 done. Then I am finished with my Degree, and plan to move on to CCENT or something different. I have spent that last year doing Web development stuff, which I will likely never use at my current job. We already have a Web Ninja that has 10+ years of development on everything under the sun. He has Zero certifications and thinks its funny I have four CIW web certs. I will say it's been nice to see all these things during my time at WGU. But I have little to no interest in building web sites or programs for websites. It sounds as if I should skim the COS book and watch the NewBoston stuff, use the Java for Programmers for the Tasks. Thanks again for the replay.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

• Options
    I definitely wouldn't be stressing, 4 months to complete those 2 classes is a lot of time.
  • Options
    Just a update, mostly because I know others have updated their progress for KET1 and KFT1 and like the feed back. So I did get the Deitel book "Java for Programmers". I used it over the holiday's since I was half way across the country and didn't mess with remoting to my mac at home. I will say for me it was better to read a little and watch the New Boston Video's and then jump in feet first. And I really hated programming before I started this class. I won't say I love it now, but see that it may be helpful down the road in my career. I spent a week on both Task 1 and 2, keep in mind I work full time and have kids. So weekends are the best time for me to get at it. Just found out today I passed Task 2 with almost all 4's. Funny I had two parts of the rubrics I just blew off. Got stuck on sorting and the For-each and just winged it. Wonder if the graders just once over it and if they don't see anything big they pass it?

So I am off to KFT1 and as of 3 hours ago have a partner and seems like Task 1 will be done soon. Really want to get to Task 4 so I can focus my energy on the beast. I have looked at the rubrics and task requirements in Task Stream and it is going to take sometime to get through. But I have a little under 3 months, should be enough. I am just happy to be done with KET1.

Thank God I am on my Last class at WGU!!!!!

• Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Quick Question guys, I start WGU March 1st and I want to get ahead of the game. I have a little C++ and HTML experience that I havnt used in like 5 years. Which book should I get that would get me a good overview of Java and teach the objectives of the class? I read about 3 different book on this forum, which one would be good for a beginner? Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!
  • Options
    I used Head First Java and liked it a lot. In fact, I like the whole Head First series. Amazon.com: Head First Java (9780596009205): Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates: Books
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Java for Programmers, by Deitel. I had zero Java experience and it helped me get through the courses.