Options

"The Veteran's" CCIE Written Thread

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    6.0 hrs
    160.0 : Total

Yesterday was a tough day. While I covered NAT64 and reviewed the PIM-SM RPT-to-SPT switchover, the bulk of my work was bringing my flash card deck reviews up-to-date. I was still about 750 reviews behind. Now, I am caught up! I am finally up-to-date with 1,820 CCIE flash cards (out of my larger networking deck). Granted, only 1125 of those are mature.

My new softest areas--

+ QoS (commands beyond MQC basics, understand ideas behind single-vs-dual rates and how many buckets needed.)
    + BGP (mostly, peer subcommand options like 'allowas-in', but also dampening)
    + SONET ("overhead"--I thought about removing these, but PoS my be on the written.)
    + IGPs (timers, eigrp commands, filtering options)
    + MPLS-L3VPNs (commands. surprising, since I do this so often!)
    + Catalyst (commands & "snooping/inspection" features)

Commands and timers! If my only hang-up were the commands, I would obviously be ready for the written exam. I have a few non-command items to review, and then I am due for another practice exam Wednesday or Thursday.
  • Options
    4.0 hrs
    165.0 : Total

I've improved my knowledge of common protocol MAC and IP addresses, read a couple government guides on routing protocol security (one for IPv4 and the other for IPv6), and re-read ch1 of the ROUTE FLG.

I read "IPv6 Essentials" last week. This week, I'm considering re-reading the entire ROUTE FLG. Already I learned--

+ IGRP is no longer supported (can you tell I don't run Cisco-proprietary IGPs?!)
    + BGP Multipath support has increased from 6 routes to 16 routes.
    + All IGPs can load-balance across upto 16 equal-cost paths.
    + All IGPs, by default, load-balance across 4 equal-cost paths.
    + EIGRP still auto-summarizes by default in 12.4(t)!
  • Options
    blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    Why was I thinking OSPF can only load-balance across 4?

I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about OSPF up until I read this.....

Plus, EIGRP auto-summarization is beneficial over WAN links such as in DMVPN design.
  • Options
    8.0 hrs
    173.0 : Total

Great Scott! A month after my previous attempt, I took a new CCIE Written practice exam, and scored the same. Something must be seriously screwy in my preparation methods for me to have made absolutely no progress?!

58% 1. Implement L2 Technologies (12 questions)
    79% 2. Implement IPv4 Technologies (24 questions)
    88% 3. Implement IPv6 (8 questions)
    75% 4. Implement MPLS Layer 3 VPNs (8 questions)
    45% 5. Implement IP Multicast (11 questions)
    62% 6. Implement Network Security (13 questions)
    75% 7. Implement Network Services (4 questions)
    75% 8. Implement Quality of Service (8 questions)
    67% 9. Troubleshoot a Network (6 questions)
    67% 10. Optimize a Network (3 questions)
    100% 11. Evaluate Proposed Changes to a Network (3 questions)

What topics caused me trouble?

EEM, Logged error messages for HSRP and GRE, TCP default MSS, QoS configuration, NAT order-of-operations, Anycast RP, AutoRP, IGMP PDU message type codes, 'vrf definition', EIGRP 'stub' and 'variance' (nuance), OSPFv3 LSA contents beyond knowing the meaning of each LSA, Loop Guard, full effects of deleting/suspending/shutting down VLANs, VTPv3, MSTP BPDU contents, & EtherChannel.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Veteran:

From looking at the question frequency counts, I'm going to assume that you're using Boson for practice exams, right?

In that case, I'll share what my experience has been like with them (in the past) and also with studying for this exam.

This is what I have noticed with Boson: You will read and study your books, and then when you take the Boson exam, you will see concepts that you did not see before taking the test.

You'll then see that maybe you have holes in your preparation, so you make notes on those areas and review, and when you get to the next test, you'll see a few more things that get you off guard.

I don't see that big of a problem with it.

I took my first practice test, and scored 59%.
    I took my second practice test (new test, a week later) and scored 70%.

What I do recommend is that if you've already taken a test, to review it in "study mode". You obviously won't count how well you do on this to your progress tracker, but you do it for the purpose of reading the explanations for each question.

Also, I believe that Boson has some inside knowledge that empowers them to have a better approximation of what's on the test.

On my most recent practice (the 70% one), I calculated that if I had perfected the top 4 (in quantity) sections: IPv4, Network Security, Layer 2, and Multicast, I would have cleared 85%. (These sections account for about 60% of the test.)

This basically tells me that I really need to batten down the hatches on those sections.

My two best sections are Network Services and Network Security, which I usually perfect. Of course, with Network Services having so few questions, it's not that much of a boost to the overall grade.

In your case, I'd advise a focused effort on the following:
    Layer 2
    Multicast
    Network Security

The reasoning is that if you focused on Troubleshoot, Optimize, QoS, and Network Services, you'd only add a max of 6 points to your score if everything else remained the same.

If you focus on the former three I listed, you could add a max of 20 points to your score if everything else remained the same.

It's a kinda cold and calculating way to look at it, but I just see it as making sure you're studying most efficiently. Does it make sense to study something for the "chance" that you get 1 or 2 more questions right, or for a chance to get 5 -8 additional questions right?

EDIT: One more thing. Once you get to the end of taking the practice tests (there's four in the pack I purchased), you can still do area-focused study, using custom tests. So, if you wanted to work at Layer 2, you chould choose to specifically study Layer 2 questions only (47 questions). The focused study and review might be a good tactic when you've already cleared all the practice exams, and you want to stay fresh by going through study mode prior to upcoming test dates.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    5.0 hrs
    178.0 : Total

Instant, thanks for sage advice and words of encouragement. Last night was discouraging, but I suppose I believe my knowledge is increasing (rate of learning > rate of forgetting), and this was just another wall to push past on my way to victory!

Read CCIE R&S Study Guide, chapter one. Really thought about it, and researched my weaker subjects on Google and CCO. I streamlined and increased my "Ethernet" flash cards from 65 => 103, and increased my SPAN flash cards from 6 => 16.
  • Options
    5.0 hrs
    183.0 : Total

2 x Daily Reviews. Read CCIE R&S Study Guide, chapter 2: VLANs, VTP, DTP, 802.1Q, ISL, & PVLANs. Further refined my flash cards and compared to another's CCIE mind maps. Also read the RFC for IGMPv3 and updated those, too. +34 cards / 1918 CCIE cards.
  • Options
    4.0 hrs
    187.0: Total

I plugged several gaps in my knowledge. implemented RIP, OSPFv2, and OSPFv3 topologies. I cleared up why IGMPv2 querier elections use the lowest IP address rather than the highest one, that OSPF SPF calculations do not need to occur in a couple situations where I thought they should, and a tidbits about discontiguous networks. I read the ROUTE FLG OSPF chapter (first half) and added more OSPF flash cards (packet types e.g. LSR/LSU, state meanings, and acronyms). More card streamlining. +21 cards / 1938 CCIE cards.
  • Options
    2.0 hrs
    189.0: Total

Completed an "Advanced OSPF Topology" lab with 11 routers in about 45 minutes. No issues, except the final question. It asked me to redistribute four static routes on an ASBR (redistribute subnets), summarize them there via OSPF's tools (summary-address), but in addition to advertising the summary, for the ASBR to also advertise one component route, using only OSPF's tools.

The BGP aggregate-address command offers more knobs. ::sigh::

Daily reviews. Read a bit more about OSPF network types. +5 Flash Cards = 1952 CCIE cards.'
  • Options
    1.0 hrs
    190.0: Total

Simple day. I finished reading the OSPF chapter in the Route FLG. This was clearly not the area with the most bang-for-the-buck to study, but it is an area I am supposed to know intimately, and it was good to plug gaps.

My streamlining of the flashcard deck is paying dividends! I can do significant review in only 5-10 minutes.
    Studied 78 cards in 11 minutes today.
    Again count: 3 (96.2% correct)
  • Options
    0.0 hrs
    190.0: Total

Little to report. I was lazier yesterday than I intended to be! Today I will make some progress.

Studied 64 cards in 9 minutes today.
    Again count: 0 (100.0% correct)

• Options
    1.5 hrs
    191.5: Total

Read/skimmed the ROUTE FLG chapter on BGP. Unlike the OSPF chapter, which I felt was deep and CCIE-level, the BGP chapter was superficial--I suppose not aimed at ISPs! +19 flashcards = 1976 CCIE cards. ++Daily reviews.

Today I'll return to my remaining L2 topics--STP and Etherchannel.

Studied 45 cards in 6 minutes today.
    Again count: 0 (100.0% correct)
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NV - Are you using GNS3 in Windoze or Linux (Ubuntu?)?? What routers are you using. 3640, 3725? Can you give a little details on your setup?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm using a 3725 with the IOS 12.4 advanced enterprise feature set for all my devices. I've assigned 256MB of RAM. While it's not the most frugal use of resources, this is capable of running everything I throw at it on a Windows PC with 6GB of RAM. To scale beyond 13 devices, I'd either need to add more RAM, or use a lower-spec'd device for the less-intensive tasks.
  • Options
    2.5 hrs
    194.0 : Total

Yesterday, I read the Packet Pushers blogs, specifically all the Cisco and protocol-related entries from 2011 onwards. That may seem unaligned with CCIE study, but I wanted to learn what nuances I could from their headaches. I then proceeding to read all Cisco's design, configuration, and troubleshooting technotes for EtherChannel followed by the SWITCH Simplified's chapter on the same. My mojo is getting deadly! +20 flashcards = 1989 CCIE cards. ++Daily reviews.

Studied 80 cards in 13 minutes today.
    Again count: 1 (98.8% correct)
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just stumbled upon this thread. Glad to see you are making consistent progress on your studies and are sticking to it. This thread has been informative and I will continue to watch you progress.

NetVet, I have regarded you as one of the more knowledgable folks on the form here. I enjoy reading your posts as I feel I always learn something from them.

Good luck to ya! I am excited to see you take this next endeavor into CCIE!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Thanks, Daniel!

::Yawn:: I was up late yesterday with a complex issue in a protocol CCIE R&S doesn't even cover! I added many LAG flash cards and double-checked their coverage vs. Zaleski's mind maps. +17 flashcards = 2005 CCIE cards. ++Daily reviews.

Studied 97 cards in 14 minutes today.
    Again count: 5 (94.8% correct)
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    2.5 hrs
    194.0 : Total

Yesterday, I read the Packet Pushers blogs, specifically all the Cisco and protocol-related entries from 2011 onwards. That may seem unaligned with CCIE study, but I wanted to learn what nuances I could from their headaches. I then proceeding to read all Cisco's design, configuration, and troubleshooting technotes for EtherChannel followed by the SWITCH Simplified's chapter on the same. My mojo is getting deadly! +20 flashcards = 1989 CCIE cards. ++Daily reviews.

Studied 80 cards in 13 minutes today.
    Again count: 1 (98.8% correct)

I always keep an eye on packetpushers.net They have pretty good recurring guests that have given them some quality podcasts. If you haven't already, scroll through their archive of old shows... there are definitely some that will be informative.
  • Options
    Thanks, powmia, I think I will do just that!

Got a bit tied up at work with mVPNs and a couple presentations. Tomorrow is me day! I've reserved 9 hours of CCIE rack time, and after a good night's rest, I intend to go full force on L2 topics. Time to start cobbling together labs. :)
  • Options
    14.0 hrs
    208.0 : Total

Put in a solid study weekend. Chiefly, I did a 9-hour lab focusing on LACP, DTP, 801.Q, DHCP, VTP, STP, and RSTP. I planned to go deeper, but I'm content my knowledge of L2 basics is stronger. +38 flashcards = 2039 CCIE cards. ++Reviews.

Studied 224 cards in 36 minutes today.
    Again count: 5 (97.8% correct)
  • Options
    1.0 hrs
    209.0 : Total

For reading the past couple days, I picked up The Bryant Advantage's switching book. I reviewed the sections on VTP, Etherchannels, Advanced Spanning Tree, and Multicasting. I also watched a video on Reflexive ACLs.

+10 flash cards = 2049 CCIE flash cards. ++Reviews.

Studied 64 cards in 10 minutes today.
    Again count: 1 (98.4% correct)
  • Options
    3.0 hrs
    212.0 : Total

I reviewed the QoS chapter in the Bryant Advantge switching book and unsuspended 20 QoS config flashcards.

Next, I bought "Cisco Firewalls" and read the two introductory chapters. The first discusses security policies in general and where firewalls fit in. The second discusses types of firewalls and compares Cisco's PIX, ASA, FWSM, and IOS Firewall solutions. Today I will read the most on-topic chapters, the first covering CBAC and the second covering the ZFW. With that behind me, I will be ready for another practice test and possibly the real exam. :)

I now have 1828 active CCIE flash cards. ++Reviews.

Studied 46 cards in 7 minutes today.
    Again count: 1 (97.8% correct)

• Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Good luck on your journey, I wish I could dedicate as much time as you do to studying. Also what software are you using for your flash cards?
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    krjay wrote: »
    Good luck on your journey, I wish I could dedicate as much time as you do to studying.
    I've averaged 2 hours, 15 minutes per day for the past 44 days. A little bit of daily study adds up. :)
    Also what software are you using for your flash cards?
    I'm using Anki 2. I have used Supermemo, Memnosyne, and Anki 1 in the past.

I used Supermemo years ago. It's the most advanced and stable, but I realized with it I spent too much time "planning" my studying as opposed to actually "doing" my studying. While the efficiency of my "doing" time was high, my overall efficiency wasn't. They do offer some excellent articles on knowledge formulation on their website I encourage reading.

I used Memnosyne a couple years ago. The primary problem was that it began crashing once my deck grew to a large size--1000 cards? I also felt the workflow was too much focused on the "doing" and not enough on the "planning".

Anki was "just right" for me and supports decks much larger than I have!
  • Options
    4.0 hrs
    216.0 : Total

I studied chapter 9 of Cisco Firewalls and spent some time implementing its scenarios.

..but what I am thrilled to say, is I finally passed a practice test!!

83% 1. Implement L2 Technologies (12 questions)
    96% 2. Implement IPv4 Technologies (25 questions)
    67% 3. Implement IPv6 (6 questions)
    67% 4. Implement MPLS Layer 3 VPNs (6 questions)
    64% 5. Implement IP Multicast (11 questions)
    85% 6. Implement Network Security (13 questions)
    75% 7. Implement Network Services (4 questions)
    78% 8. Implement Quality of Service (9 questions)
    71% 9. Troubleshoot a Network (7 questions)
    75% 10. Optimize a Network (4 questions)
    100% 11. Evaluate Proposed Changes to a Network (3 questions)

I've been avoiding looking up my missed answers, since Exams A-D are similarly worded. :)

Missed questions involved: MSTP BPDU format, IP SLA, EIGRPv4 k-values, EIGRPv6 neighbor addresses, OSPFv3 packet formats, MPLS aggregate, MPLS VRF Lite options, Auto-RP/BSR addressing, IGMP message addressing, Auto-RP/BSR show commands, NAT order of operations, Tacacs+/Radius ports, NTP configuration, queuing method selection, shaping configuration, TCP configuration, ICMP filtering best practices.

I'm considering a last-ditch Multicast review and sitting the exam Friday!
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice! Good job man. You are probably more prepared than you think. Congrats on the practice pass!
  • Options
    carterw65 wrote: »
    Nice! Good job man. You are probably more prepared than you think. Congrats on the practice pass!

Thanks, mate. :) I have passed the CCIE Written before, but it's been many years. My idea this time was to take it slow and build a stronger foundation before the sprint to pass the actual lab.

I am curious how the exam today compares to yesteryear!
  • Options
    1.0 hrs
    217.0 : Total

I put in one more hour last night understanding Zone-based Firewalls. The most interesting difference between CBAC and ZFW (besides scaling) is that the former is intrinsically open while the later is intrinsically closed.

I am fairly confident that I will make my first written attempt on Friday.

Studied 62 cards in 9 minutes today.
    Again count: 2 (96.8% correct)
  • Options
    3.0 hrs
    220.0 : Total

Tomorrow is D-Day, the day I take the CCIE R&S Written exam!

I feel confident. I began this push 45 days and 103 hours of study ago. A fair portion of this time has been reviewing the CCNP Route and CCNP Switch. A lesson that one shouldn't cease to review lest they get weak and forget!

Today I reviewed ZFW, NTP, and CCIE R&S Exam Guide chapter 12: Classification, Marketing, and the MQC. +20 new flashcards, + 20 unsuspected flashcards, for a total of 1,888 active CCIE flashcards. ++Reviews.