I have a confession...--Windows 8--

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    I cannot see this being adapted in the work place for a long time.

We are still on XP icon_sad.gif
    bdub wrote: »
    Hyper-V is that its a type 1 hypervisor vmware workstation is not.

Neither is Hyper-V as a role enabled surely. If you want the Type-1 Hypervisor then you are talking about the free Core Edition.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    We are still on XP icon_sad.gif

Majority of us too. As well as our SMB customers we support. It will be a busy next couple years as we will recommend Windows 7 once end of life for XP get's closer.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I had a tablet to throw it on, i'd give it a shot. I did download a copy a while back and run it in a VM, wasn't impressed at all. Will more than likely stick with 7.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    Majority of us too. As well as our SMB customers we support. It will be a busy next couple years as we will recommend Windows 7 once end of life for XP get's closer.
    icon_eek.gif

We are mandated to complete the migration to windows 7 by end of year, and six months from next year to clean up the remaining PC's, if not we would have to pay Microsoft several thousands per month.

there is no time to think, just start migrating.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I had a similar reaction to Server 2012 - which is a game changing Server release for MS. Windows 8, its quick but its weird. I expect there will be a quiet release with an option for "Windows Classic" shell or something.

Server 2012, that is where the meat is at. Did you know you can convert a Server 2012 box from Full GUI, management GUI only, or Server Core without re-installing the whole darned thing?
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Neither is Hyper-V as a role enabled surely. If you want the Type-1 Hypervisor then you are talking about the free Core Edition.

Actually there is no difference between the server core hyper-v role or the full installation of 2008 R2 hyper-v role.

Hyper-V Architecture

I am not sure where you heard this but I'd be interested in any links you might have explaining it because it completely goes against everything I have read about hyper-v architecture.

Here's a few more links:

http://4sysops.com/archives/the-difference-between-the-microsofts-hyper-v-and-the-vmwares-esx-hypervisor/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chenley/archive/2011/02/23/hyper-v-microkernelized-or-monolithic.aspx

From above link:

"We could install Hyper-V server which is a free download command line version of Windows Server with only the Hyper V role as an option for install. This is the lightest footprint option.We could install Windows Server 2008 R2 server core edition. This is also a light footprint option that is command line based but does come at a cost. We could install standard edition Windows Server 2008 R2. We could install Enterprise edition Windows Server 2008 R2. Finally, we could install Datacenter Edition of Windows Server 2008 R2. All of these options have the install files (called the Hyper-V role) to write Hyper-V to the underlying hardware. Everyone asks me, “What’s the difference between Hyper-V in each of these editions of Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V server?” The answer is absolutely nothing."
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    im gonna wait until a 3rd party (or ms caves) and puts back the start menu with out metro ...

at work on windows xp/7 we have a hard enough time with users with out radically changing a gui
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    AlexNguyen, try to uninstall the default drivers first and then do the setup. If it doesn't work, use the *.inf files.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    The main reason I like it is cloud integration. I had been wanting a Chromebook for a while, just because I liked the idea. But in truth, I've always talked myself out of it because I felt like...despite the fact that the idea was great...the implementation was not good. I feel like Windows took the idea (really stole the idea) and ran with it. The implementaiton is excellent. Its very intuitive. I don't have a supporting touchscreen, so I can't really speak much for those functions. But other than that...I just really like the feel of it.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    wd40 wrote: »
    icon_eek.gif

We are mandated to complete the migration to windows 7 by end of year, and six months from next year to clean up the remaining PC's, if not we would have to pay Microsoft several thousands per month.

there is no time to think, just start migrating.

If I could, I would. It's a $$$ issue though. Internally and our SMB clients have Pentium 4's, 1.8 - 2.6Ghz with 1GB of RAM, lots have 20GB IDE drives. They would not run Windows 7 and our AV, let alone all the other programs. Some of them make a stink about having to pay money to upgrade ram or buy a new hard drive. I don't see new PC's coming anytime soon.
    i see windows 8 being a huge issue to home users buying new pcs

alot of them have a hard time with windows 7 let alone a new gui that windows 8 has
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Personally I have no sympathy for people who have difficulty adjusting to a new GUI. That's kind of the point of a GUI...is simplicity...

That being said...I actually found it very intuitive. I live with two tech-illiterate people and they really didn't have any trouble either
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will keep Windows 8 as a VM, and use Windows 7 until Microsoft makes its next OS. icon_cry.gif

Microsoft is already working on Windows 9:
    Microsoft Explorer : On to Windows 9: Here are the early details

If you want Type-1 Hypervisor for laptop (not server), check out Citrix XenClient:
    Citrix Systems » Desktop virtualization, virtual desktops - Citrix XenClient
    sratakhin wrote: »
    AlexNguyen, try to uninstall the default drivers first and then do the setup. If it doesn't work, use the *.inf files.

OK. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

I've removed the Microsoft ION LE driver. I've tried to run the setup installation of Nvidia driver but it still can't detect my graphic adapter. I've installed the .INF file. I've tried to add a new device and manually select the Nvidia ION LE driver, but the system said this driver is not compatible with this version of Windows.

I've downloaded a beta driver from Nvidia web site and still got the same problem. The Nvidia drivers are for Windows 8 preview, not for RTM. So I have to wait.

I've installed the basic Microsoft display driver and the flickering stopped. But the display is not smooth when playing videos or scrolling web pages.

I've found out and installed this freeware to bring back the old Start menu:
    Welcome to Classic Shell

You can also configure it to boot directly in Windows desktop, bypassing the Metro interface.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • CamargovilleCamargoville Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    That would be the only option I would even consider to use this junk(Windows 8 )
    Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yep, the built-in Hyper-V is the killer feature for me as well. Now that I've been using it for a few days I don't miss the start button at all. There's a few quirks to get used to here and there, and while the metro style apps definitely feel more touch oriented it doesn't really bother me. Especially since all of my productivity is taking place on the desktop.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The start Menu is full screen now, it is not gone, just different!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So you guys don't think they'll pull a Vista/7 with Windows 8?

The complaints about the UI seem to be many. Game developers are complaining about the platform (mostly Valve).

I have the RTM, but I don't have any issues with Win 7 and there's nothing completely compelling about upgrading besides faster boot ups and integrated virtualization (though I'm sure there are other benefits).
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had the unstable beta version. Is it on dreamspark? I'll need to sign up for that.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    That would be the only option I would even consider to use this junk(Windows 8 )

Thanks for posting that, I actuall miss having that back in the day till my dad stepped away to take a shower and I made myself a admin.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Lol kind of funny but you cannot honestly compare AOL to windows 8. AOL was one of the most pathetic internet providers in its time. Back in the mid-late 90s you'd find aol hostmasks on akick/ban on IRC. Most people don't realize the true complexity behind windows 8. Do you have any idea how many lines of code went into that? It was a massive project and designing an operating system is very difficult not to mention one as advanced as windows 8. I'm sure there are bugs and some issues right now but if you consider everything that went into it from the design/specification/planning phase to the coding phase, to the integration and stabilization phase. Windows 8 has millions of lines of code and it was coded with multiple programming languages. I'm not saying it is the best OS out there I also love linux and I don't even mind Macs. All I'm saying is I see lots of complaints about bugs which will be ironed out it is still an amazing piece of software. I guess being able to code I have an appreciation of what they have done with it as I'm sure others on here will too.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
    I have the RTM, but I don't have any issues with Win 7 and there's nothing completely compelling about upgrading besides faster boot ups and integrated virtualization (though I'm sure there are other benefits).

The security improvements of Windows 8 over 7 worth for me to upgrade:
    5 ways Windows 8 beats Windows 7 at security | ITworld
    Windows 8 Much More Secure than Windows 7

For example, I've downloaded Classic Shell and saved it on the desktop. It refuses to run saying that the executable can harm the system because it was downloaded from the internet. I have to "unlock" the executable from its file properties to be able to run it.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unblocking executable downloaded from internet is there in windows 7, not sure why it is selective of what it blocks but it is there.
    I've never encountered that problem before with previous version of Windows.
    By googleling, I've found out that feature existed since Windows XP SP2:
    http://www.k9ivb.net/files/This%20file%20came%20from%20another%20computer%20and%20might%20be%20blocked.pdf

It seems that in Windows 8, that feature is enable by default.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Most exe files downloaded from the Internet could not be executed without confirming that the file was safe even in XP. The question is why it only applied to legitimate files and not to viruses...
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Any WGU students know if you can get the RTM on Dreamspark? Due to the revised Technet Licensing, I'd like to obtain a few more so I can setup VMs, etc.
    @sratakhin: We're not talking about the pop-up warning message demanding confirmation before execution. We're talking about the pop-up saying "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer". You can't execute it unless you manually "unblock" it via its file properties.

@spiderjericho: If it's for testing purpose, you can download a 90-day evaluation of the final version of Windows 8:
    Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    OK people am going to be the stupid one and ask where do I get a Subscriber ID, I have in the past been MCP with XP Pro but am sure that has lapsed, would I have had an ID back then or can you only get one when you pay?

Thanks
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Windows 8 is a piece of trash. I'm sorry, I know there's a bunch of Microsoft fans about, and folks are going to be MSFT apologists and all, but this OS is going to be a disaster that has the potential to make Vista look like a success.

Simply put, Windows 7 will be the new XP, and 10 years from now, you're going to find Corporate America unwilling to come off of it. Windows 8 will achieve some market share simply due to the fact that folks like Dell, HP, etc will pre-install it. I'm sure the server line will enjoy more success, but Microsoft simply lacks the ability to compete with Apple when it comes to making something pretty *and* functional.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have had files that need to be unblocked but it was not consistent on Vista and 7.
    to me this is to drastic of a change for the normal user to get accostom to and it will end up hurting ms/pc makers in the end

if people have to learn a whole new os (gui wise cause most normal users are gui only) whats keeping them on a pc.

they go to bestbuy and play around on all of them before they buy and if its radically different, which windows 8 is, it opens up the thought of "hay i got an iPad/iPod/iPhone lets go look at a mac"