2013 Certification Plans

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Too early you say? Nay, for we only have less than four months left in 2012 icon_eek.gif

Besides, I wanted to be the first to start this thread... icon_wink.gif

2011 Certification Plans

Completed in 2012: CCENT

Yet to complete in 2012: ICND2 (CCNA)

Goals for 2013: CCNA:Security, Find a networking centric job.

I have to admit that I'm very uncertain about what I want to do after the CCNA:Security. Hopefully a new networking job will help me know. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up... icon_lol.gif

Comments

• it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Goals for 2013:

BCNE (Brocade Certified Network Engineer)
    BCNP (Brocade Certified Network Professional) - we'll see about that one
    Renew CCNA and CCNA Security
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    CCNP
    Stanford Advanced Security Certification
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    complete the wgu masters in infosec

start the cissp
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Remaining 2012 plans:

A+, Net+, Sec+, MTA Sec, CIW WFA, and maybe CCENT

2013 plans:

CCNA, which ever other CIW and MTAs I need for WGU :), MCITP/MCSA Server 2008, Project+
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bah...I get upset at these questions because I always get skewed off my goals (not always my fault) but hopefully I can complete some of the MCSA 2012 track and get my CCENT for 2013! Aiming smaller than I usually do this time!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Only 4 months? Where did 2012 go?

I'm hoping to kill CISSP before the end of the year. 2013 most likely will be upgrading my MCITP:EA to MCSE:PC and MCSE:SI. I also want to dig more into InfoSec certs such as GSEC or CEH.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Completed in 2012: VCP5
    Yet to complete in 2012: EMCISA, BADCS
    Goals for 2013: RHCSA, RHCE
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2012 Goals: A+ (completed), Network+ (completed), CCENT

2013 Goals: CCNA
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Damn, the 2013 thread is already here..where has the time gone?

Yet to complete in 2012: Network+ (completed), CCENT (completed), Linux+ (completed), CISSP (late October) and CISA (Dec 8th)

2013: Continue the OSCP and finish my degree. I am hoping to spend the majority of my time finishing my degree at WGU and putting certifications on the back burner.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2012 Goals: CISSP icon_study.gif and CTP+

2013 Goals: CCNA, CCNA Security, Linux+, and anything else I can get done! icon_thumright.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Time flies folks, in fact it freaking disappears before you know it. I've been awake 3 hours this morning and before I knew it, it was 7.10am and time to get off my desk to get ready for work.

My problem with these plans is not being able to stick with them. The goal posts move so much. Last year (damn I called 2012 last year!), I intended for get me some Hyper-v certs and the EMCISA and a Citrix cert. Instead I went for the VCP5 and VTSP5. So guys, keep your cert plans fluid and change them to suit you as you go. Dont get a cert if you are not going to put it to some use.

2013 plans: Get the VCAP 5 - DCA (now that's a certainty) and hopefully the DCD too. I'm being introduced to EMC VNX Storage at work, so that may mean getting an EMC cert or two. But all this might change if I change jobs. I may also go for MCSE: PC, but that's just a maybe. But then again, you never know, right?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Original 2012 Goals: Network+, Security+, SSCP - all completed
    Added to 2012: MS 70-642
    2013: Finish MCSA Server 2008, CCNA
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Basically the same as 2012... since well my 2012 plans kept getting pushed back. So for 2013 it will be MCM:Exchange or at least prerequisites towards it... however with some recent news I've received... I might be switching my priority to CISSP and maybe CEH or other security related certs. Hopefully will know more on that by the end of the week.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Completed in 2012: VCP5, EMCISA
    Yet to complete in 2012: VCAP5-DCD, VCP5-DT, VCAP5-DCA
    Plans for 2013: Rest of VCP5 & VCAP5 (Sort of like Pokemon. Gotta get them all.)
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Completed in 2012 70-643, 70-647, 70-647
    Yet to be completed Linux +
    2013 : C|EH, CCNA (Renew), CCNP or CCNA:S and then CCNP:S

Will prob get completed : C|EH, CCNA and CCNA:S
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Goals for 2013: Finish Cisco Networking Academy to prepare for the CCNA, Security+ cert, and maybe some other certs.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2013 - CCNA:Security, CCNA:Wireless, CCNA:Voice, CCNP:Route :D

I have to fix a few problems. Like not having a working computer besides work now. Ah. The smell of burnt silicon.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Ugh. Simply. . . ugh.

Haven't finished one cert this year, and started a couple. I think my goal for 2013 would be. . . finish one. Take one exam and pass.

Anything beyond that would be gravy.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    My goals for 2012 are Comptia A+ (Done) and Comptia Linux+(By end of the year). For 2013 I want to do CCNA at a minimum.

Edit: I think I may add in Network+ before I do ICND1
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Completed 2012: CCNA

2013 - CCNA:Security

Also, hopefully to begin WGU B.S. in IT Security in February.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    2012: CCNP Switch, CCNP Route

early 2013: CCNP TSHOOT

2014: CCIE =p i can always dream, right?
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Stanford Advanced Security Certification

Took a look @ that and it looks pretty cool!
    Best part is no extensive programming specified (has a major in C.S. but no like programming that much)

Back to thread
    2012 went to heck
    But I still able to squish 1-2 certs more

2013 I hope for CCNA Voice, Linux+ and/or LPIC1+2, CEH

Alternative that I would really like in 2013:
    Good job that pays for or pays me well enough to take a VCP
    meh
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Depends on how the masters goes. 1 class in 1 week so far, so maybe if that momentum keeps up I can knock out 1-2 of the certs for that this year. Once I finish the masters next year i'd really like to take ICND2 just as a personal goal. After that, who knows, business need and curiosity will determine that I guess, although I really want to do the social engineer training that Chris Hadnagy offers.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Completed: Network+, Server+, Security+, CCNA./ Originally only planned Network+ and Security+ :)
    2013: MCSA:SA and may be CCNP:Switch.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's too early for me. I have no idea what I'll have finished by the end of 2012; that will determine my cert plans for 2013.

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well right now I'm working on PMP. Perhaps next year I'll reconsider ITIL and I may possibly look at CISSP. Gotta see how my PMP experience holds up though.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Take CCIE written by the end of 2012. Shoot for 1st and only CCIE V attempt by end of 2013.

The reality is is that VMware, UCS and M$ Lync are popping up everywhere, and I already have 2 CCNP's. The only thing separating me from CCIE V's is the number and I have to decide is that number more important than getting the mentioned skills above as I believe they will help me grow my business much larger than a CCIE.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    2012 september >> CCNA

2013 goals >>>>> 70-642, Linux+ &or RHCSA
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    I want to write CCNA Security exam by March otherwise my CCNA will expire!
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I thought, Already! Then I read veritas_libertas' post and though, Wait, only 4 months?!?

2012 finished - RHCSA - Possibly get the Sec+ in December depending on work load.

2013 - Finish off my AS, start WGU at the end of the year. SPSE (finally), VCP5, maybe some Netapp, Puppet and other less known training thrown in.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness