Completey stuck :(. Need help and push in the right direction

blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'll try to hold it short. I'm studying for the CCENT since 2-3 months. I've read following books:

Cisco Press Official Exam Guide
1/2 through Todd Lammle

I've watched following videos:
Trainsignal ICND1
CBTNuggets ICND1

Now I'm at a point where I completely lost track of my goals. I'm totally confused on what topics to concentrate for the exam.
I'm also losing my motivation as my studying seems to go nowhere and the longer I'm upset with myself and not learning, I forget more and more what I've learned.
Would you start over and stick to one book all the way to the exam? It's just like... I've lost the hook and can't grab a point to continue icon_sad.gif.

Not certain if you got my point, I just feel lost at the moment and that with my 34 years....
«1

Comments

  • akboyboyakboyboy Posts: 14Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try taking a practice test, that should be a good indicator on what area's your weakest in. then you can tailor your studying around those topics.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Posts: 2,472Member
    Yep!

    You can also go through the outline and check off what you don't know.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    Pictures:
    Office / Lab
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Posts: 329Member
    One way to make preparing CCNA a bit fun is keeping this in mind: network is of a layered model. Here is a RFC,

    http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/rfc1112.pdf

    I'm not intended to ask you to read through this documentation, but just take a look at the diagram of section 5. It gives a brief description of model of layer 2/3.

    When I hit a new subject in CCNA, I keep asking myself, which layer this is about. For example, all the routing protocols belong to IP module. Though some of them use transport layer PDU, like RIP using UDP, essentially they serve to build the routing table.

    Another interesting example is VLAN. Which layer does it belong to? Datalink? Not quite. VLAN does not touch frame header. Instead, it tags the frames. So, it seems like even lower than datalink.

    I want to use CCNA to polish my understanding of network knowledge. This way serves this purpose and everything becomes a bit more meaningful. This way could be longer but I believe it's promising in the long run.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Posts: 2,008Member
    Are you labbing or just reading and watching videos?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Posts: 400Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am sure that happens to all of us, It has happened to me.
    Do you have Packet Tracer?

    You just need some little successs.
    It does not matter if you don't get it all figured out today, just don't give up!

    Their are some great labs to do on utube, google any protocol in utube.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33E07ECCA73C0755

    jump right in if your further along
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXuRotZq3Q&feature=plcp

    go through this guys courses ( danscourses ) This guy is ok, not great he makes some mistakes but corrects his mistake pretty quickly. He is easy to follow along with.


    (Get hold of packet tracer 5.3), you can do lots of lab work with it. Packet Tracer is cool, and lots of fun!
  • NewInBussinesNewInBussines Posts: 28Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I just passed CCNA last week.
    I just read the courses from cisco.com because I attended al the classes, watch video tutorials from CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Cioara and is very important to do all the labs from courses in Packet tracer.
    This is waht I did and I passed CCNA from first attempt.
    An also you should take some practice tests to see how much you know and where you should learn more.

    Thanks
  • NewInBussinesNewInBussines Posts: 28Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I watched both series ICND1 and ICND2
  • JeanMJeanM Posts: 1,117Member
    AS others have said, since you've already read the chapters/material, it's time to lab and review, maybe re-read some chapters that aren't 100% clear.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • BeTheNetworkBeTheNetwork Posts: 18Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    We've all been there... The only way out is through. I personally never read books cover-to-cover. I get exam blueprints from the Cisco website and make checklists out of the topics. If you begin feeling like the whole process is all wretch and no vomit, then take a break and do something else for a while.

    Best,
    Brent
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Posts: 1,104Member
    Post the practice tests everyone, we should all take them and see how we do.ha
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

    Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • BIGDubBIGDub Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm having a problem myself. I started a few weeks ago. I was doing just fine until I got to subnetting. Now it feels like I've run into a brick wall. I understand the general concept but I'm missing something. I don't know what I'm missing, it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I'm wondering if I should skip it and come back to it later.
  • blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great advises. I'm familiar with packet tracer and am able to setup a complete network including TFTP, DNS, HTTP servers, multiple networks, VOIP and WLAN. My problems lay in the details the theory one just has to memorize. I'm getting ICND1 and ICND2 topics all mixed up but would rather like to concentrate on ICND1 first.

    I think what I need are labs which ask you to do something or to solve an error which is in the already configured lab network.

    Anyways, I'll go through the links you've posted and just keep going until I either throw the books out of my window, which I'll open first, or until I pass the exam.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Posts: 667Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will learn alot about yourself while studying for Cisco exams. There are days where I want to smash all my equipment, throw it out the window and kick my dog. And there are moments when I finally figured it out and wonder what all the fuss was about. Thats the beauty of the Cisco tests. Keep Grinding it out, no said it would be easy but thats why there is a forum here for mental support. It normally takes a full year of study for the ICND1/ICND2 course because there is just so much to take in. CCNA is a humbling expierence!
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • it_consultantit_consultant Posts: 1,903Member
    blueoceans wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great advises. I'm familiar with packet tracer and am able to setup a complete network including TFTP, DNS, HTTP servers, multiple networks, VOIP and WLAN. My problems lay in the details the theory one just has to memorize. I'm getting ICND1 and ICND2 topics all mixed up but would rather like to concentrate on ICND1 first.

    I think what I need are labs which ask you to do something or to solve an error which is in the already configured lab network.

    Anyways, I'll go through the links you've posted and just keep going until I either throw the books out of my window, which I'll open first, or until I pass the exam.

    If you are mixing the topics, just take the composite exam. They all kind of feed off of each other. I think you are in the position where you are not seeing the forest through the trees.

    You need your hands on some Cisco or Cisco like equipment. What they don't tell you is that most manufacturers' CLIs are practically the same as Cisco aside from some insignificant details. Get some equipment and configure it without going to the books. Use the question mark and tab complete commands religiously. You will learn this stuff. Remember, the basics are always harder and more irritating. Eventually you will do some complex network stuff and you will think, "Man, I wish this was like CCNA".
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    blueoceans wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great advises. I'm familiar with packet tracer and am able to setup a complete network including TFTP, DNS, HTTP servers, multiple networks, VOIP and WLAN. My problems lay in the details the theory one just has to memorize. I'm getting ICND1 and ICND2 topics all mixed up but would rather like to concentrate on ICND1 first.

    I think what I need are labs which ask you to do something or to solve an error which is in the already configured lab network.

    Anyways, I'll go through the links you've posted and just keep going until I either throw the books out of my window, which I'll open first, or until I pass the exam.

    When it comes to details and theory, you have to be good at taking notes. What did I do ? I took notes through the Trainsignal series in a Notebook, I also filled in missing info with Odom book notes, like the key topics. And a great tool is the Memory tables that comes with the cisco book, it is good at getting you to memorize certain details. That and practice tests, whenever you aren't sure of an answer, don't answer, first study about it, then come back to the question.

    BTW I also went through Odom's ICND 1 book comepletely twice. Dying to take the test already, just don't have the cash till next week.
  • blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    BTW I also went through Odom's ICND 1 book comepletely twice. Dying to take the test already, just don't have the cash till next week.

    Regarding cash.. I thought about buying the Boson Exam Practice... but $100+ really?! Gotta be kidding me.

    *Heading back to my desk for more studying*
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Posts: 211Banned
    Imo, it is a failure on the author's part if after reading one book completely you are lost and times that by 2 if you then move to another author and half way thru it, you are completely lost. This is directly related to the organization and content of the book. I still feel both Odom and Lammel's effectiveness is in the "different strokes for diff folks" as in it works for some and not for others. Should cast a wider net, imo. how can it be an exam pre "guide" if you are lost...rahter then odom, anyone like any of the older mcquerry icnd 2 books?
    Memo to me and procrastinators: Don't bother. You are too lazy to study and by the same token too lazy to do the job. Hell, the way I see it you are too lazy to even live.
  • blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright, I bought Boson ICND1 prep exam and failed miserably, miserably is even understated. Failed hard.

    Might as well just just take a test in rocket science icon_lol.gif
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    Imo, it is a failure on the author's part if after reading one book completely you are lost and times that by 2 if you then move to another author and half way thru it, you are completely lost. This is directly related to the organization and content of the book. I still feel both Odom and Lammel's effectiveness is in the "different strokes for diff folks" as in it works for some and not for others. Should cast a wider net, imo. how can it be an exam pre "guide" if you are lost...rahter then odom, anyone like any of the older mcquerry icnd 2 books?

    Yup. I felt the Odom book was really good. I've read a little of Lammle's just for comparison's sake, and it's good too. I don't think 2 books targeting the same things is necessary. I think the blame will fall on the reader in this case, not the author's if they don't understand the material. I would say the reader has difficulty concentrating on learning, and they are just trying to blow through topics and expect to automatically pass the exam.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    blueoceans wrote: »
    Alright, I bought Boson ICND1 prep exam and failed miserably, miserably is even understated. Failed hard.

    Might as well just just take a test in rocket science icon_lol.gif

    Since I'm naturally a blunt person. Get medical attention. You might have problems with memorization, or even Attention Deficit Disorder. I'm just saying bro, you never know, and it could explain your difficulty. 2-3 months is plenty if you've gone through all those training videos and books.

    Also did you try what I told you to try?
    Go back to the results of your practice exam.
    1. Look at the first question you got wrong.
    2. Now, without looking at the correct answer, take your time and think about why you are wrong. There is no timer so relax.
    3. If you can't figure out why, then ask yourself what topic is being covered in the question? Is it switches? Is it ARP?
    4. Still without checking the answer once you know what the topic is, study that topic only!! I mean, view the CBT Nuggets video relating to that topic and then go the Odom's or Lammle's book, and read about it.
    5. Now go back to the question, and try to answer. You should be able to get it correctly.
    6. Rinse and Repeat. Just keep doing these steps, until you've gone through those weak spots.

    A good thing to do, is go through Trainsignal series entirely, and taking notes. Don't touch the books or other videos until you are done, after that never look at the videos again and rely on your notes, and Memory Tables from the CCENT book.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    blueoceans wrote: »
    Regarding cash.. I thought about buying the Boson Exam Practice... but $100+ really?! Gotta be kidding me.

    *Heading back to my desk for more studying*

    I've wanted to get it but it's too expensive for me, and I don't think it will improve me much at all anyway, I know I'm ready.
  • blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    I think the blame will fall on the reader in this case, not the author's if they don't understand the material. I would say the reader has difficulty concentrating on learning, and they are just trying to blow through topics and expect to automatically pass the exam.

    You might have nailed it, if I'm honest. It's has been so long since I was in school, I probably have to learn how to learn again first icon_redface.gif.

    I will do following, as I don't want to give up yet:

    1. Watch the Trainsignal videos again from A-Z without touching the books or labs - take notes
    2. Read Official Exam Guide ICND1, add to my notes and do labbing after each chapter -if applicable
    3. After completing the book, I'll do the practice exam and follow "Ismaeljrp" steps

    Does this sound reasonable?

    Thanks guys!
  • jsb515jsb515 Posts: 253Member
    As long as you read, lab what you read, lab some more, subnet practice (set a goal of doing 5 subnet questions or more a day), and use the videos as a tool to help you further understand the material you will be fine. Use practice test to find those weak areas in your studying and go back and hit the weak areas and you will ace the test.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    blueoceans wrote: »
    You might have nailed it, if I'm honest. It's has been so long since I was in school, I probably have to learn how to learn again first icon_redface.gif.

    I will do following, as I don't want to give up yet:

    1. Watch the Trainsignal videos again from A-Z without touching the books or labs - take notes
    2. Read Official Exam Guide ICND1, add to my notes and do labbing after each chapter -if applicable
    3. After completing the book, I'll do the practice exam and follow "Ismaeljrp" steps

    Does this sound reasonable?

    Thanks guys!

    Sounds good, remember, don't be in a rush to learn. Take your time to understand things before moving on to another subject, Most likely you'll notice this time around that you know a lot more than you did when you just started out. That's good. That's progress, keep at it though , consistency brings success.
  • Ignus3Ignus3 Posts: 1Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I've been working on my CCNA studies (including taking the courses at college) for over 3 years now. ADHD is what's been getting in my way. Without getting into it too much, ADHD is an inaccurate moniker. Motivation Deficit Disorder is much more accurate. I, and others with this disorder, are extremely less effective at self motivation. The parts of our brains responsible for it are just under-sized, and under-utilized.

    Taking medication for it has allowed me to sit down and just absorb the information from the book, reading it straight through with no skipping and being able to get back to it after interruptions. It's pretty amazing. I highly recommend.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Posts: 211Banned
    Ignus3 wrote: »
    Honestly, I've been working on my CCNA studies (including taking the courses at college) for over 3 years now. ADHD is what's been getting in my way. Without getting into it too much, ADHD is an inaccurate moniker. Motivation Deficit Disorder is much more accurate. I, and others with this disorder, are extremely less effective at self motivation. The parts of our brains responsible for it are just under-sized, and under-utilized.

    Taking medication for it has allowed me to sit down and just absorb the information from the book, reading it straight through with no skipping and being able to get back to it after interruptions. It's pretty amazing. I highly recommend.

    Thank you for your very important work in this post. I will certainly try sitting through the eight books I just got this week with no skipping and getting back to it. I hear ADHD pills is the latest rage with those who take and pass any exam but I will try it without first.
    Memo to me and procrastinators: Don't bother. You are too lazy to study and by the same token too lazy to do the job. Hell, the way I see it you are too lazy to even live.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Posts: 480Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ignus3 wrote: »
    Honestly, I've been working on my CCNA studies (including taking the courses at college) for over 3 years now. ADHD is what's been getting in my way. Without getting into it too much, ADHD is an inaccurate moniker. Motivation Deficit Disorder is much more accurate. I, and others with this disorder, are extremely less effective at self motivation. The parts of our brains responsible for it are just under-sized, and under-utilized.

    Taking medication for it has allowed me to sit down and just absorb the information from the book, reading it straight through with no skipping and being able to get back to it after interruptions. It's pretty amazing. I highly recommend.

    Yeah, completely understand. I have a few friends with the condition and it's not uncommon, that's why I mentioned it to the OP. I also know of a few people who take those medications illegally to get an edge, when they don't need it. Always check with a physician first.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Posts: 211Banned
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Yeah, completely understand. I have a few friends with the condition and it's not uncommon, that's why I mentioned it to the OP. I also know of a few people who take those medications illegally to get an edge, when they don't need it. Always check with a physician first.

    I just heard on the AM radio news that we LIVE in the ADD-Attention Deficit Disorder age.. this is subsequent to the brief Information age I previously thought we lived in. But interesting bit about those without having been diagnosed is that they will take the pills because they already know they are ADD without even visiting to get official diagnosis but who needs that right when you already know you are ADD. It used to be when I was growing up that if you couldn't study, you didn't want it enough or you didn't want to work hard but with this ADD pills, they have effectively bypassed all of that. I think everyone should be on ADD pills whether they are studying for something or not like athletes etc.
    Memo to me and procrastinators: Don't bother. You are too lazy to study and by the same token too lazy to do the job. Hell, the way I see it you are too lazy to even live.
  • blueoceansblueoceans Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Arghs.. just noticed that the Trainsignal videos I got from work are the old ones icon_sad.gif. CBTNuggets and Exam Guide Book it is.

    Take 2 starts now.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Posts: 2,472Member
    I'm not a full-blown believer of ADD. I do agree that in this time of "Instant Everything", the patience and motivation to do anything that takes development and time is going to be harder and harder. Studying is one of those things that we can't "Download" the information.

    The world is changing, how we get information is definitely changing. Tablets, for example is a brilliant idea. If I wasn't such a dinosaur and enjoy having my trees killed for my reading and if they weren't such a target for theft, I'd be more for them!

    I known a friend in canada - he had "Jeremy" like ADD. If you've watched the series long enough on CBT nuggets, you'll know what I'm talking about. Which, is to say, isn't a mark of stupidness or ignorance. Personally it seems that the "Normal" persons don't have the capacity to do great things as someone a bit obtuse.

    I don't think that taking pills isn't always an answer. It takes time to be able to sit down and do anything, which is against the wood-work with my first paragraph; I understand this. I'm sure everyone could benefit in just take a few moments to slow down and go below the speed limit. Take a moment to breath, clear the head of the millions questions and problems we all face. We can only do so much trying to speed up things doesn't always work.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    Pictures:
    Office / Lab
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Sign In or Register to comment.