Options

Motivation - Worlds First 7 x CCIE

down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
Congratulations to Neil Moore - 7 x CCIE #10044!

And to think I am happy with passing just my first CCIE!
CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jesus!! This's a superhuman effort. Incredible!

His LinkedIn profile, Neil Moore | LinkedIn
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder what his motivation was. I have a hard time seeing profitability beyond dual CCIEs.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I have a close friend who is a Double Double (2 x CCIE, 2 x JNCIE) and he is working on additional CCIE paths. It stops being about profitability and becomes more of a personal or professional challenge.

My long term goal is to achieve more than one CCIE track, but I don't have the desire to go after that many. Regardless, seeing someone with 7xCCIE is a very impressive accomplishment!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wowza! Hat off to you sir
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good heavens, and I am struggling with R&S. What manner of man is this???
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That is pure awesome! An inspiration indeed.

I'm already thinking about 2nd and 3rd CCIE's and there's a 4th I could easily swallow up purely out of interest (Voice)
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    More than two CCIE's is pointless IMO unless you just get bored and want to master a new technology. Get Routing & Switching and whatever specialty you enjoy most and go make money. I guess some guys just enjoy the challenge but you can only make so much money being a technical resource for a large company. I guess I have too many hobbies as even one CCIE may be out of my reach.

Also, I wonder if this guy stays up to date on all the tracks or just finishes one and moves onto the next when it's time to recertify. A CCIE Voice from 2006 learned on CM 4 won't do you much good if your not using the product and staying current. Think this guy could design a multi-cluster CUCM environment on 9.1 with globalized dial plan integrated with Unity Connection, Presence, UCCE without having to do a ton of learning and prepwork? I doubt it.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aaron0011, that's along the lines of my thinking. With respect to profitability/usefulness, I can see CCIE R&S plus a CCIE in your specialty area being very helpful. I can also see the benefits of a CCDE, CCNAs in non-core areas, multi-vendor certifications, and keeping abreast of emerging technologies as competitive advantages.

Seven CCIEs seems more like a personal hobby. Which is okay! We all have hobbies, and he's clearly the top of his--besides knowing much more than most of us about networking. Kudos to the over-achiever. :)

Now, if he goes into certification teaching, perhaps this fame is helpful!
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off I don't know if he is or not for 100% sure. But, your Einstein's, Newton's, Darwin's all were on the Autistic spectrum, there is a good chance he is on the Autistic spectrum. His brain is wired differently from "normal" people. In short, he's a genius.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    It doesn't take a genius to get a CCIE. Which means it doesn't take a genius to get 7. Just the right motivation, be it monetary, pleasure, or just boredom.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Now, if he goes into certification teaching, perhaps this fame is helpful!

This, completely agree.
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aaron0011 wrote: »
    More than two CCIE's is pointless IMO unless you just get bored and want to master a new technology. Get Routing & Switching and whatever specialty you enjoy most and go make money. I guess some guys just enjoy the challenge but you can only make so much money being a technical resource for a large company. I guess I have too many hobbies as even one CCIE may be out of my reach.

Also, I wonder if this guy stays up to date on all the tracks or just finishes one and moves onto the next when it's time to recertify. A CCIE Voice from 2006 learned on CM 4 won't do you much good if your not using the product and staying current. Think this guy could design a multi-cluster CUCM environment on 9.1 with globalized dial plan integrated with Unity Connection, Presence, UCCE without having to do a ton of learning and prepwork? I doubt it.

That was my plan aswell and the reason I'm having a hard time motivating myself for a third track. I'm already having a tough time keeping up with all progress in both fields. Do not really like the idea of having an expert certification for a track I no longer master, that would just feel pointless.
  • Options
    If I started building data centers to the point that I was motivated enough to get my CCIE DC, I'm not going to wait two years to intentionally let 6 CCIEs expire before I take my CCIE DC written. He's obviously not retarded :)

Props to him for moving forward.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is crazy (that ish cray). Awesome accomplishment. Maybe he'll walk on the moon next.

He'd make a great consultant. Might as well go for his CCDE and architect.

I can see myself getting 1 IE, possibly 2. But afterward, I'd probably go for a Juniper expert, a Masters or PhD (or maybe just enjoy life).
  • Options
    That is crazy (that ish cray). Awesome accomplishment. Maybe he'll walk on the moon next.

He'd make a great consultant. Might as well go for his CCDE and architect.

I can see myself getting 1 IE, possibly 2. But afterward, I'd probably go for a Juniper expert, a Masters or PhD (or maybe just enjoy life).

I like my tech a lot, and get much enjoyment out of becomming good at it... but yeah, I'm going to hit my "enough is enough, let's go golfing" stage long before 7 CCIEs!
  • Options
    powmia wrote: »
    I like my tech a lot, and get much enjoyment out of becomming good at it... but yeah, I'm going to hit my "enough is enough, let's go golfing" stage long before 7 CCIEs!
    Gotta catch them all.

I applaud his dedication and the fact he passed 7 extremely difficult exams. I also can appreciate a goal orientated person but there is no ROI for 7 CCIE, besides personal gratification. But I don't know Mr. Moore, is he an instructor at INE? I could see the value then.

Now if my employer would pay for 7 CCIEs, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's funny that he works for HP too.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    #holysh*t

Quite an accomplishment!
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    7 CCIEs is insane IMO, but you'd be able to demand some pretty nice rates as a consultant- being an expert in 7 different areas and all.
  • Options
    So HP has a 7X CCIE and 2 CCARs?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    He's not an instructor for INE, he took the CCIE DC class with Brian McGahan because they're both in Chicago.

OT - Zartan did you start CCIE DC yet? icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What a bad bad man. I can only dream.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Very cool, to each his own. I work with 2x, 3x, 4x IE's and no longer look at CCIE as some insurmountable obstacle. I see myself getting it someday, perhaps even a second. Depends on what you want to be an expert at
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is really exceptional. Congrats to Neil.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    So HP has a 7X CCIE and 2 CCARs?

HP probably needs guys like this to support their services strategy.

The rumor was that HP did hire the first 2 CCAr. I heard this from bradreese.com a while back. I'm revealing the source because that guy seems to have a bone to pick with Cisco. That is, it might be considered a biased source.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Incredible. Is he a robot? LOL
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought I read that there was only ONE CCIE DC in the entire world, mainly because the lab equipment costs over 1 MILLION DOLLARS, hence its nickname "The Million Dollar CCIE". Was that this guy or is he the second?

» CCIE Data Center Hardware Cost Estimate Fryguy's Blog
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's only 4 CCIE Tracks that I have any interest in: Routing & Switching, Voice (My Favorite, but sadly being retired), Security, and Service Provider.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    QHalo wrote: »

OT - Zartan did you start CCIE DC yet? icon_twisted.gif
    I bought the INE workbooks and added a bunch of material to my Safari Books shelf, but the problem is lab time. INE is booked solid for like a month out and it's not like I have a spare UCS and Nexus 5K/2K lying around at work.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^ No commitment. :p