Options

Anyone ever worked for support.com ?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Saw this link over on ComputerWorld, and they are supposedly offering 100% work from home support jobs. Im not looking, but I know a few folks on here have been searching for a work from home job.

Career Openings - Support.com

Comments

• Options
    KosmatikKosmatik Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have worked for support.com for a little less than a year. You will be mostly doing wireless network troubleshooting phone calls for a major ISP. First schedule will be set for you by HR with any shift they deem fit (they're open 24/7), but you're most likely to get a shift that starts anywhere between 8AM and 1PM EST. When shift bid comes around you'll be able to get a better pick for your shift. All of this is assuming you don't have any other obligations like school. With wireless troubleshooting, you will be following a flowchart to solve your issue and QA seriously checks on that you do. Any deviation from the flow chart needs supervisor approval (chatroom).

They have an extensive internal wiki for all kinds of problems you will face and steps to take to resolve them, so all of you will need is general knowledge and you will be trained for everything else.

Your pay is probably going to be around 10.50 per hour and you might get a bonus $200 at end of year if you've been with them for 6 months. Break-fix techs get paid 13.50 per hour. Usual working from home standards apply, quiet place, high speed internet, etc. You get a tax write-off from your rent/mortgage and utilities.

Company is very legit and used to have over 900 techs just for the major ISP.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I applied to one of the job openings a few years ago but apparently I wasn't good enough with A+ and Network+. They also only offered $13/hr but at that time I needed a job desperately. Never got a call back though.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I'm pretty sure Support.com does the IT services (virus removal etc...) that places like Office Max and Office Depot sell. I applied for them once and got a job offer but I was just looking for part time work on nights and weekends to supplement my full time job for extra cash. Apparently they only hire full time.
  • Options
    KosmatikKosmatik Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure Support.com does the IT services (virus removal etc...) that places like Office Max and Office Depot sell. I applied for them once and got a job offer but I was just looking for part time work on nights and weekends to supplement my full time job for extra cash. Apparently they only hire full time.

This is correct, I had to sub in for a couple of days there when there was not enough techs for the tickets coming in.
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Thank you for posting this!
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good lead. They seem legit. The main con seems to be salary. Their average employee gets $11-$14/hr, technical leads $17/hr. Their "leads" earn less than many entry-level employees or even some interns. On the plus side, you could probably live somewhere with a negligible cost of living and still earn these rates so long as you had high-speed Internet!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On the plus side, you could probably live somewhere with a negligible cost of living and still earn these rates so long as you had high-speed Internet!

Genius... Live on a beach somewhere with a low cost of living, doing a low stress job. Hm early partial retirement comes to mind. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Kosmatik wrote: »
    I have worked for support.com for a little less than a year. You will be mostly doing wireless network troubleshooting phone calls for a major ISP. First schedule will be set for you by HR with any shift they deem fit (they're open 24/7), but you're most likely to get a shift that starts anywhere between 8AM and 1PM EST. When shift bid comes around you'll be able to get a better pick for your shift. All of this is assuming you don't have any other obligations like school. With wireless troubleshooting, you will be following a flowchart to solve your issue and QA seriously checks on that you do. Any deviation from the flow chart needs supervisor approval (chatroom).

They have an extensive internal wiki for all kinds of problems you will face and steps to take to resolve them, so all of you will need is general knowledge and you will be trained for everything else.

Your pay is probably going to be around 10.50 per hour and you might get a bonus $200 at end of year if you've been with them for 6 months. Break-fix techs get paid 13.50 per hour. Usual working from home standards apply, quiet place, high speed internet, etc. You get a tax write-off from your rent/mortgage and utilities.

Any tips you could share that would help to get hired on with this company? I just picked up a couple paperbacks to improve my help desk/customer support skills. What should I expect in the interview(s)? Are they pretty intense?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Saw this link over on ComputerWorld, and they are supposedly offering 100% work from home support jobs. Im not looking, but I know a few folks on here have been searching for a work from home job.

Career Openings - Support.com

I never worked for them, but I saw a bunch of jobs on Craigslist for Support.com.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good lead. They seem legit. The main con seems to be salary. Their average employee gets $11-$14/hr, technical leads $17/hr. Their "leads" earn less than many entry-level employees or even some interns. On the plus side, you could probably live somewhere with a negligible cost of living and still earn these rates so long as you had high-speed Internet!

Keep in mind, with a 100% work-from-home job, you wouldn't be spending money on overhead like traveling to and from work, buying extra work-clothes, bringing or buying lunch, etc. Having a job eats up a bit of your money too. I don't know if it completely evens out the low pay, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have no day-to-day commuting costs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SL4ck3rSL4ck3r Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently got a job offer for Remote Services Technician through support.com. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what exactly they deem as a satisfactory background check? What is it they are looking for or are they just verifying informatoin?
  • Options
    SL4ck3r wrote: »
    I recently got a job offer for Remote Services Technician through support.com. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what exactly they deem as a satisfactory background check? What is it they are looking for or are they just verifying informatoin?

Can't answer your question, but congrats on the job offer! I will be applying with them again once my new laptop comes in. Was your system up to their specs when you applied?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most background checks look into your criminal history, any tickets you've received, etc. Also, if a credit check is required, then they look into bankruptcies, excessive delinquencies, etc.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Yes, my laptop is above and beyond the PC requirements, which is really why even with the somewhat low pay it requires no investment for PC upgrades to meet requirements. And the simple fact that I live in Wichita,Ks where $10.25/hr isn't a bad entry level wage to work for. Other places I can see how the pay isn't good at all.

well I mean I know what background checks are but depending on the company's criteria they are looking for they are done for different reasons. I've seen background checks for previous jobs be done just to verify application information is legit. I don't have anything big on my background... some delinquent chargeoff accounts from 17 or so years ago, a DUI, nothing really serious to most employers. The DUI is only really relevant for jobs that require driving in most cases. It is from 10+ years ago. I don't see what the huge requirements would be for a work at home job. That's a mystery. I just came across this forum and noticed a few people previously stated they did work for them so I'm assuming they required a background check as well.
  • Options
    Yes, my laptop is above and beyond the PC requirements, which is really why even with the somewhat low pay it requires no investment for PC upgrades to meet requirements. And the simple fact that I live in Wichita,Ks where $10.25/hr isn't a bad entry level wage to work for. Other places I can see how the pay isn't good at all.

Thanks for the reply. When I applied the first time about a month or so ago, I didn't get a reply back, but my laptop is way below their standards. I got a new one on order, so I'll see if that will help at least to get a callback.

Again, congrats on the job!
  • Options
    thanks!
    Did you initially take the quiz when you applied? If you pass the quiz you seem to automatically qualify for at least a phone interview. I do recall some kind of PC test but it didn't show me the results or anything so I just kind of shrugged it off. I had a straight forward interview. It lasted about 1 hour. If you have any technical support experience at all it will be a breeze. Basically the interviewer played the part of the customer and gave me different scenarios and asked how I would respond. Again, anyone with Tech Support experience or basic call center experience would know how to respond. They have you download and run a program called Speccy that gives detailed information about your PC. The interviewer asked me to read off everything from the summary list and then asked me to take a screenshot and send it to them. I had a phone call back on Friday after a Monday interview offering me the job and that was that. Today I got my tax forms to fill out and send back as well as my formal job offer. The issue about the background check only concerns me because it says it could take up to 3 weeks to complete (LOL). I just don't want to start a job and 3 weeks later they fire me based on a "unsatisfactory" background check. I guess it's paid training but just a waste of time to me if it doesn't pan out.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    thanks!
    Did you initially take the quiz when you applied? If you pass the quiz you seem to automatically qualify for at least a phone interview. I do recall some kind of PC test but it didn't show me the results or anything so I just kind of shrugged it off. I had a straight forward interview. It lasted about 1 hour. If you have any technical support experience at all it will be a breeze. Basically the interviewer played the part of the customer and gave me different scenarios and asked how I would respond. Again, anyone with Tech Support experience or basic call center experience would know how to respond. They have you download and run a program called Speccy that gives detailed information about your PC. The interviewer asked me to read off everything from the summary list and then asked me to take a screenshot and send it to them. I had a phone call back on Friday after a Monday interview offering me the job and that was that. Today I got my tax forms to fill out and send back as well as my formal job offer. The issue about the background check only concerns me because it says it could take up to 3 weeks to complete (LOL). I just don't want to start a job and 3 weeks later they fire me based on a "unsatisfactory" background check. I guess it's paid training but just a waste of time to me if it doesn't pan out.
    Good Luck!

The test was pretty easy, I think I got them all right, but I don't have any traditional help-desk experience. I worked in a NOC for 6 years, fielding calls and tickets from network admins and engineers concerning problems with hung servers, switches/routers.

Thanks for the details about the process so far. Hope you will continue to update the thread with your experience with the company.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I looked into this last fall when I was looking to get started in IT. They were advertising rates around $12.50/hour at that time. I see now its dropped to $10.90 (I think?). Thats a bummer, at $12.50 in the rural area I live that would be close to $15-16/hour after you factor in work clothes/gas/etc...

There is another company like support.com that paid a little better, but I cant remember the name right now. They were the contracted support for companies like Staples, Office Deport, etc...
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□

well I mean I know what background checks are but depending on the company's criteria they are looking for they are done for different reasons. I've seen background checks for previous jobs be done just to verify application information is legit. I don't have anything big on my background... some delinquent chargeoff accounts from 17 or so years ago, a DUI, nothing really serious to most employers. The DUI is only really relevant for jobs that require driving in most cases. It is from 10+ years ago. I don't see what the huge requirements would be for a work at home job. That's a mystery. I just came across this forum and noticed a few people previously stated they did work for them so I'm assuming they required a background check as well.

Take it from a guy who wrote a book on credit repair; charge offs will fall off your credit file 7 years and 180 days from the date of last delinquency, so you don't have to worry about that.

My guess is background check is soley to make sure you don't have outstanding warrants or criminal background. I highly doubt their background checks will encompass anything more than that.. I have a couple old traffic arrests in my background and I passed a very robust background check for the state of Illinois...
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Kosmatik wrote: »

I've applied to numerous IT jobs even those through friend referrals but have been turned down because of 0 experience and have considered applying to Support.com to gain some help desk/ remote tech experience that I can put on my resume. Did the experience working for them opened better opportunities for you? Will one be able to apply to a help desk II, III, even Jr. Admin position after about a year to this?
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would consider this before applying for a job there:

"On December 31,2013 Both Support.com and Comcast entered in to a termination agreement as reported during the quarterly reporting which would set to end the contract between the two companies which would end the Signature Support Services on March 31, 2014.This resulted in Support.com to downsize and terminate several hundred employees in the workforce as well as subsequently downsizing their corporate office employees as well."

I understand this is just one client, and businesses like this weathers storms like this all the time (I work for a much smaller IT services provider) but anytime a company suffers a big client loss, it reverberates.

-scott
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    user1138 wrote: »
    How often do the issue they paychecks? Do they hold you back a week before you are paid? Do remote support technicians receive tuition reimbursement? Any other helpful information would be appreciated. Thank you.

When I was looking to get my foot in the door I emailed them once. They are very helpful with questions of this sort, just contact them directly.
  • Options
    Navi+Navi+ Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I just recently got hired here and I start on September 2 as an RST (remote service tech).

I'm trying to get my foot in the door in IT and I'm going to be using this job for just that, since I don't really have much experience outside of my own home network in terms of computer repair or networking skills.

Do you guys think this is a legit company? And if so, how do they treat their employees?

This is not a long-term job by any means. But I'm scared they'll just terminate me whenever they feel like it without any notice.
    Also, this would be my first tech support job ever. Hopefully the training goes well in September.

Hope I'm making the right choice to work from home.
  • Options
    powdered toast manpowdered toast man Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone else worked here before that can share their experience? I was thinking of applying here to get some IT experience to put on my resume.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Thanks for sharing this website OP, gonna apply here soon!
  • Options
    Awesome Betrayal :)

I'm thinking of applying myself but just wanted to see if anyone else on this forum has worked here as remote tech support and what they thought about it.
  • Options
    user1138user1138 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've worked for SDC for the passed 6 or 7 months. Remote Service Technician (RST) at SDC is an entry level, tech support, tier 1 position. Remember, it is an *entry level* position. They expect you to have some experience, although minimal. You must show technical aptitude during your first and second interview in order to be hired. The job pays $10.25/hour starting and over time is available on a regular basis.

Support.com's major contract is with Comcast so it does include customer service, although minimal. You follow a call "script" but they want you to put it in your own words. Comcast just acquired Time Warner so there is definitely room to grow.

If you have any other questions please ask me.
  • Options
    I've worked for SDC for the passed 6 or 7 months. Remote Service Technician (RST) at SDC is an entry level, tech support, tier 1 position. Remember, it is an *entry level* position. They expect you to have some experience, although minimal. You must show technical aptitude during your first and second interview in order to be hired. The job pays $10.25/hour starting and over time is available on a regular basis.

Support.com's major contract is with Comcast so it does include customer service, although minimal. You follow a call "script" but they want you to put it in your own words. Comcast just acquired Time Warner so there is definitely room to grow.

If you have any other questions please ask me.

User1138: Do you think it's a good way to get started in IT? Do you like the job? How stressful is it? Are you able to work 40 hours per week?
  • Options
    user1138user1138 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I average 38 hours a week and I have no desire to work anymore due to attending WGU full time for my Bachelors Degree in IT. There are quite a few shifts available to pickup outside of your normal schedule so working more than 40 hours is easy. The maximum amount of hours you can work is 55, no more than 4 extra, 30 minute shifts (2 hours), per day. No raises unless you are promoted. Part of your hours are not factored into your normal taxed paycheck so some of it is not taxed (for work-related materials).

I start my day by logging into company chat using XMPP, clocking in using the payroll companies website, opening the new call center software (VoIP), loading the internal Comcast website after connecting and authenticating through VPN.

Then I change my mode in the VoIP software to green so I can start taking calls. Cable modem/Wireless Gateway factory resets, soft resets, password resets for the router, wifi password resets, Comcast.net account creation, password resets, email client setup, identifying malware issues, activating/provisioning modems for new accounts, sending trucks, identifying hardware malfunctions, and identifying line and splitter issues.

The job is 100% over the phone so customer service skills are a must and you have to have patience since most of the people that call don't have much experience using computers.

That pretty much covers it.
  • Options
    I average 38 hours a week and I have no desire to work anymore due to attending WGU full time for my Bachelors Degree in IT. There are quite a few shifts available to pickup outside of your normal schedule so working more than 40 hours is easy. The maximum amount of hours you can work is 55, no more than 4 extra, 30 minute shifts (2 hours), per day. No raises unless you are promoted. Part of your hours are not factored into your normal taxed paycheck so some of it is not taxed (for work-related materials).

I start my day by logging into company chat using XMPP, clocking in using the payroll companies website, opening the new call center software (VoIP), loading the internal Comcast website after connecting and authenticating through VPN.

Then I change my mode in the VoIP software to green so I can start taking calls. Cable modem/Wireless Gateway factory resets, soft resets, password resets for the router, wifi password resets, Comcast.net account creation, password resets, email client setup, identifying malware issues, activating/provisioning modems for new accounts, sending trucks, identifying hardware malfunctions, and identifying line and splitter issues.

The job is 100% over the phone so customer service skills are a must and you have to have patience since most of the people that call don't have much experience using computers.

That pretty much covers it.

Thanks User1128 :)

I am getting my A+ very shortly and I will only have that with no degree or experience so I thought it could be a good opportunity to get in the field.. Not having to pay for gas or wear and tear on the car would be a plus too..

Sorry, just had a few more questions

You don't have to file for self employment tax at the end of the year right? They take out all the taxes for you?

Also what is the training like when you start?

How exactly are their performance-metrics measured? By how many calls you can resolve the problem first time around or quickest?

Thanks for the description i'm sure this will help other people too that might be interested in starting somewhere like this.