Options

Cisco Certifications useless?

13»

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Depends on the job and the role. My last couple of jobs were 25 days PTO per year plus sick days and my current one is 30 days. My security analyst job was usually 40 hours/week, last job was 80ish hours/week, and my current role is 40 hours a week mostly working from home. It all depends on the job, role, company, etc.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a issue more and more since Certifications became marketed as a way to get a job rather than a means of advancing in your current career. I'm with Iris on this one. Getting a job today requires a hell of a lot more than just getting a piece of paper.

She hit just about every important point dead on. Employers will look at two basic metrics, "what can you do for me" and "is this the kind of person who will fit in here"? The latter more than the former.

Me, I didn't get into the game for the money. Goodness knows. I got into the game because I've always had a passion for learning about and working with technology.

Technology isn't something I do for a living but rather something I live to do. When that passion and dedication comes across to the people on the other side of the table during a interview it makes a world of difference.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Exactly! Plus, having a bunch of pro certs w/o any real experiences also doesn't help , it takes time.
    Hit the nail on the head with this one. My view is that you don't get a certification just to get it. Gain (if you can) the knowledge through work and then take the tests. It kinda backs up your resume. Look at it this way - you review a resume. One person has 10 years experience as a network engineer. He has CCNA and CCNP - you know he probably knows his stuff. Take person #2. He has 2 years in a help desk and has his CCNA and CCNP but has no networking experience on his resume from previous jobs. Who will you hire?

Now, like others have said, certifications do not guarantee a job. Experience does. Though, experience and certifications usually does it for me when it comes to reviewing candidates. I would suggest obtaining a lower level job as a network technician or a NOC technician. That way you can spend 1 - 5 years learning the ropes and trying to get a higher level position within the company. If you do get a job as a lower level position, tell your boss you're willing to take on more tasks that challenge you. This shows initiative, which can sometimes lead to a promotion. If it doesn't, then it goes straight on the resume.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How would recommend a current Sophomore in college majoring in IT Management, with entry level of certs, some experience experience (with an internship), and studying for his CCNA R&S (hoping to get it when I graduate or before Senior Year) going into the IT field in the next three years? I am talking about Sys Admin or Net Admin positions.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    How would recommend a current Sophomore in college majoring in IT Management, with entry level of certs, some experience experience (with an internship), and studying for his CCNA R&S (hoping to get it when I graduate or before Senior Year) going into the IT field in the next three years? I am talking about Sys Admin or Net Admin positions.

Bachelors with good grades + good internship will generally be enough to land you an entry level job. A couple extra certs will definitely help a lot. Try to have a job lined up right after you graduate. An employer is more likely to take you right out of college instead of if you have gone a couple months after graduation without a job in IT.

Just keep in mind that you are trying to look more valuable to a company than your peers. Your peers are largely your fellow students in the same/similar major. Try to be better than everyone else in a demonstrable way.