Options

Asking for a raise?

Well here is my situation, I am currently employed at an ISP here in south texas and I have my A.A.S degree in networking and 3 years of previous experience in network administration plus my A+,N+,MCSA,MCSE,and CCNA certifications. I have been working there for about 4 months now. Midway through my 2nd month on the job there the Network Engineer quit to start off his own ISP so I was moved from a tech to the new Network Administrator. I am maintaing all servers (linux and windows), routers, switches, and also doing installations for new customers and the only person doing the help desk. Since then the owner has hired 2 recent high school grads to help me with the outside installations. When I took the job the owner started me off at 8.50 /hr and said that after a 90 day probation he would look at my work and we could work out a raise for me. Well is has been 4 months now and I am still getting paid the same amount of money. The 2 high school kids are getting paide 8.00 /hr and I just found out today that he has made an offer to another installer to come and work for the company and he would give him 12/hr. I have asked him for my raise but he quickly changes the conversation or tells me that he doesent want to giveout raises right now because he has other work problems to worry about. I am currently looking for another job but there are not that many openings around the area where I am at. What could I do now to ask for a raise????

THanks

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    5 years ago you could have demanded a raise and threatened to leave, but you already mentioned there are not that many openings in your area... but I would try to ask again, and at the same time I'd be looking hard for another job. Maybe at the Network Engineer that started his own ISP? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I still keep in touch with the network engineer and he mentioned to me that he will be needing help with his business in January but is not sure if it will be a full time position or just temp. Actually I am looking for job openings all over texas. Hopefully I will be able to atleast land in one. In the meantime I am still taking classes towards my BS degree and looking very hard for any other type of job opening that I can find. I am also studying for my CCNP certification
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Wow that sucks! You got all those credentials and he's paying you that much. The guy is an idiot.
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    You shouldn't sell yourself short, you are getting paid squat.

You should request a raise and if he doesn't give it to you get out of east bumblef&^k, Texas.

Just make sure you have some $$$ before you make your demands cuz you'll need it in case he doesn't meet your demands, etc.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    To give you an idea of how underpaid you are, I only have my A+ and Network + and am currently working on my degree and I am getting paid over 18/hr to do tech support. Tell that guy to kiss your A$$ and leave.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To get the raise all you have to do is tell your boss your quiting!
    Everytime i've quit a job the company comes back offering more cash, standard practice.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    If you are still being paid $8.50 per hour - with your credentials, you are being taken advantage of.

In my experience, employers will be happy to give you a raise if you are doing a great job, you get another job offer for more $$, then hand in your 2 weeks notice.

You just may be amazed at their willingness to offer you more $$ to stay.

BTW - A smilar scenario happened to me - and I was bumped up $7,000 per year immediately! The important thing to realize is that your labor is a commodity - much more valuable when employers are competing for your talent.

-Mike
  • Options
    Well this morning I asked him again for a raise and he told me that he will look into it as soon as he can. In the meantime he mentioned to me that he wanted to train one of the high school students all that I know so just in case I would leave or be sick he will have someone else who knows what is going on. I am not trying to be a prick but I am not here to train people especially when he mentioned "just in case you are no longer here". I have been applying for jobs all over texas and hopefully I can get a job somewhere else. I dont know what other way to demand for a raise but to just tell him that I will quit. The problem is that in the meantime I really need a job right now to atleast try to pay off for some schooling and bills. Pretty mych I feel stuck right now and there is not many possible ways of getting a raise right now or another job.
  • Options
    Force his hand because it sound like he is beating around the bush and will continue as long as he can. It sounds like he doesnt have anyone else that can do your job so let him know that you can't work there and survive off the wage he is paying you. Thats Mcdonalds money that you are being paid.
  • Options
    In reading your post again, I would simply leave. He is not going to give you a significant enough raise to compensate for what you do. I mean he would have to start paying you 20 dollars or more an hour. You maintain his servers, both Linux and Windows, maintain his routers, do tech support and more. You are the companies Network Engineer. Anything with engineer, even sanitation engineers get paid WAY more than you do. He is being a jack A$$ by not giving you what you are worth, you know it and everyone who has read this post knows it. I would just leave.
  • Options
    DionysusDionysus Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, my sister-in-law works at McDonalds and makes 8/hr... she's just a cook (and still in high school).

I would leave before you train the other guy... leave 'em in a tight spot. Screw the 2 weeks notice....

As someone one else mentioned, your WAY underpaid. Up until last week I was only A+, and I'm making over 22/hour for tech support.

What you're is doing is almost slave labor.

You're worth too much to put up with that s**t.
  • Options
    Where are you guys located that you are making over 15/hr? I am looking desperately for another job that will allow me to make some good money and save up if I ever want to get married with my GF.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I would like to point out that the same job will be paid at different rates depending upon the geographical area of the USA. It's really of little use to compare the hourly rate of a netadmin in Big City, USA with a netadmin in Podunk, USA because of the natural differences in regional pay. Jobs in large metropolitan cities will typically pay more than those in smaller localities. The comparison is only useful if you are looking to move to some place where the pay for the same job is a lot better.
  • Options
    Have any of you had any luck with your resume on monster or any type of online job locations? I have posted my resume everywhere possible that has any type of IT job openings here in texas.
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    netteaser wrote:
    3 years of previous experience in network administration plus my A+,N+,MCSA,MCSE,and CCNA certifications

I'm curious,
    Where/how did you obtain the 3 years experiance?
    What was your salary at the previous company?
    Why did you leave?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't take this in a negative light and get upset with what I'm about to say, but it sounds to me like maybe there's something about you he does not like. It could be something really stupid, but it sounds like there might be something.

The high school is already making only 50 cents less than you per hour, and now you're being asked to train him how to do everything you do/know. I could very well be wrong, but it sounds a little off to me. Do you think the high school grad will stay at $8 per hour after he gains the skills to do your job? Probably not, then again, he could be feeding these kids the same crap he's feeding you.

Being an employer myself, I always cringe when I hear of blatant abuse or just flat out being inconsiderate of the employees needs and well being. Good luck to you and I hope you can get out of there soon. What was the previous engineer/admin making?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, I must say you are severely underpaid. I would just start job hunting with those credentials. You'll find something probably close to doubling your current salary.

What is the cost of living in Texas? That wage wouldn't even be suitable living in Oregon. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Well first of all I got 3 years of experience in my previous job as Network Administrator at a large comapany here locally. After 3 years they had to cut almost all of their employees because they were closing the plant. The previous Engineer before me was getting paid $11/hr but the thing is that he was previously a Network Engineer for AT&T in colombia where he is from and he had his B.S degree in Electrical Engineering and also had his CCNP certification. After taking it for 3 years his family members moved here from colombia and they decided to start their own ISP. I still keep in close contact with him and asked him for a position but right now things are slow because he is just getting all of his equipment in. He mentioned to me that he will give me a call in January but it might not be a perm position, more like a temporary thing. I recently applied for a similar position 20 minutes away for me and the ISP there is paying starting pay of 25000 and max of 45000. I hope that I can atleast get an interview for that position. I came across a job posting for a network administrator that pays between 10-15 /hr. When I clicked on the link to apply I noticed that is what for the same company and position that I have? I am going to go and talk to the owner again monday morning and ask him why he is paying me 8.50/hr and advertising the same position online for 10-15/hr??? THat really made me mad!!! icon_evil.gif
  • Options
    Well while I was fixing the mail server this afternoon I came across an email that my boss sent to another owner from a local computer repair company that we do business with. And in the email it mentioned how my boss didnt want to fire me right now because he didnt have anyone else to help him but that he wanted to wait for me to train the new guys he wanted to get and then he could get rid of me. That explains alot of the things that was happening. Also in the email it said that he wanted to get younger guys because they were more easy to mold into the right person he was looking for. I cant believe he said that, I am 22 years old..... No i really dont know what to do ? any more suggestions?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    netteaser wrote:
    Well while I was fixing the mail server this afternoon I came across an email that my boss sent to another owner from a local computer repair company that we do business with. And in the email it mentioned how my boss didnt want to fire me right now because he didnt have anyone else to help him but that he wanted to wait for me to train the new guys he wanted to get and then he could get rid of me. That explains alot of the things that was happening. Also in the email it said that he wanted to get younger guys because they were more easy to mold into the right person he was looking for. I cant believe he said that, I am 22 years old..... No i really dont know what to do ? any more suggestions?

icon_eek.gif

Ummm, it's time to start looking for a new job ASAP and take your sweet time training the other people while your looking. Did you ever do anything to make him not like you? I'm not sure I could go into the same office as him and not say anything. I would just be professional and get on somewhere else and just part ways. You don't need to work for someone like that. Good luck.
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    netteaser wrote:
    while I was fixing the mail server this afternoon I came across an email that my boss sent
    Hmm. I see two problems here, first the mail server was down and second you read the boss/owners mail. Dude you just lost any credibility with me. Know matter how pissed off or bored you get you don't read others email. My guess is the boss knows you've been reading his mail and set you up. Quit now and take an ethics class.
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    WOW,

No comment to Fondue's comment. Just one thing! FONDUE relax! Wasn't you email now was it!?!

Yeah it might not be right what he did but give him some credit. He has been working his ass of for his boss (at least thats what it sounds like) and he is being treated like **** by his boss.

netteaser, you better look for a job quick. Take a couple of sick days and let your boss hang with his new little highschool friends. You can make so much more money somewhere else. Try one of the big Telco's in your area. They are always looking for Network Engineers.

Take care,

Michael
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    netteaser wrote:

I say good thing you found/read the email, at least you have a heads up and can plan or line up something else...

I would get another J.O.B just so you can get out of training the new guy...

Sorry to hear that, he must not like you for some reason, I had a manager that fired me because I wasn't part of his social life going down the pub after work everyday... he tried to say it was because i didn't do any work, but the truth is other team members would leave me with the harder jobs that take longer to troubleshoot and it would look like I did nothing compared to the easy jobs they did.....

he gave me 2 options... icon_eek.gif

1. I leave with my pay and a good reference icon_lol.gif
    2. get fired the hard way..... icon_redface.gif

man I was mad both options where out the door I couldn't win..... I picked number 1. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Well I would take a couple of sick days but the problem there is that he doesent give any. I didnt get thanksgiving off because we have alot of customers in Mexico and they were open for business. I work 95 hrs every 2 weeks and he doesent pay overtime he wants to give comp time instead but he has to verify the time I want off first before I can take it. I am glad that I read that mail because it really opened my eyes to what is really going on. THe email was dated Oct. 31 so he didnt set me up to see if I would get it. I am looking for another job non-stop and hopefully I will get one soon. In the meantime I am going to continue working towards my CCNP certification and try to squeeze some time in there to go to school. I have called a couple of people I know and hopefully I can get another job at least something part-time.
  • Options
    I have recently applied at another ISP locally and for many jobs that are located in the Austin area. No matter where they call me I am ready to go and work.
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    netteaser wrote:
    I didnt get thanksgiving off because we have alot of customers in Mexico and they were open for business. I work 95 hrs every 2 weeks and he doesent pay overtime.

I'm sorry, but you're too nice! icon_eek.gif I would say F@&% *** & quit!.. icon_twisted.gif

With the holiday shopping season, I'm sure you could find a job that pays the bills(even if it's not in IT) until you find something you want/pays better! I know it's hard to say to quit, but RU really going to use him as a reference?
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you read my earlier post, I was hinting to him trying to replace you with the younger kids, and now it turns out that this is exactly what's going on.

Ok, here's the bottom line. The situation is now very nasty. Yes maybe you shouldn't have read his email, but it's also very "not so professional" to send emails to other companies eluding to firing of an employee, this kind of thing can get you in a law suit (depending on the state). Trust me, after sitting in about a 6 hour session with my insurance people and attorney's last month, I'm pretty up to speed with this type of thing. As a matter of fact, I was advised not to say anything negative or deflamatory about anyone, at anytime via email, phone, or any other form of communications. This is just business 101. It's hard not to think of Texas without thinking Enron. And if you remember, email played a big part in that particular case. As I've already mentioned your situation has gotten to be very nasty. So I would suggest immediately trying to find another job. Then when you find one, go talk to your boss professionally, not inflamed. Let him know that you just feel that the fit wasn't good and that you feel it's better for both of you if you left. Even offer to help train the new guys on your way out. Might as well even offer to do consulting work for him after you leave (cause it sounds like he'll need it). Be nice, and by all means, DO NOT go into his office ranting about the email you read. Take this situation and try to diffuse the tension. Besides you never know if he'll be called as a reference on jobs in the future. And if that happens, you want to at least have left a decent taste in his mouth. Just imagine if you were trying to actually KEEP this job (which I wouldn't). But act as if you're trying to keep it and make him happy. Even though it's obvious that neither of you have much respect for the other, might as well try to repair as much of the relationship as possible on the way out. You never know what could happen down the road. Good luck man.
  • Options
    Your right, I am not going to go and rant and rave over how everything has turned out. I dont want him to give me a negative reference in case any future employers call him because they see that I worked for him on my resume. I am going to try and get another job ASAP and get out. I am going to do everything in a professional manner.
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    That is complete **** bro. You are definitely qualified for more pay. I'm currently in a position similar, but my boss treats me good, and I get time off when I want. The only thing that sucks is that I'm being paid ****. I'm making 10$, but I'm suppose to being getting a raise. I'm currently managing a couple *nix servers, website designing, domains, activating new accounts, and doing technical support. So making this little cash is totally crap! I know that I am under paid, but the problem I have is that I have no other experience other then where I am now.

Anyways, I'd get your ass out of there man! The guy is obviously to **** stupid. :)
  • Options
    Well this past week I have been doing some contract work for some recruiting companies that found my resume on Monster. I have a potential contract to hire position locally. THey are paying 30,000 a year and 2-3 days out of the week I would have to drive into mexico (10-15 mts away) and fix some machines over there. I really hope that the company will give me a chance to get the position. Currently my boss wants me to train the new college kids and start making instructional papers on how to install, configure, and troubleshoot servers and routers and then email it to him. He tells me not to be selfish and train the other employess because he is paying me good money and then hung up the phone.
This discussion has been closed.