Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a good link for basic FRTS:
    Understanding Frame-Relay Traffic Shaping | INE
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I just wrapped up WB2, Lab 17. It wasn't that bad and I've noticed my QoS skills are beginning to come around. That is a huge relief.

Here's what's next:
    Week 40: Mock Lab 3 (scheduled for 1/6, but may try to move this up)

Week 41: VOL1 Missing Topics (Core/QoS/IPv6/Multicast)
    Week 42: VOL1 Missing Topics (System Management/Core)
    Week 43: VOL2 Lab 18
    Week 44: VOL4 Labs 7+8

Week 45: VOL2 Lab 19
    Week 46: VOL4 Labs 9+10
    Week 47: VOL2 Lab 20
    Week 48: Mock Lab 4 (I will take this 2 weeks before my Lab, but I have several Mock Labs scheduled between now and then consisting of labs 3, and 5-7)

I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to complete most tasks, but I want to spend more time fine tuning my configs and locking down the details. I will probably try to crack open the QoS Exam Guide and Routing TCP/IP volumes to hit some weak spots/review. I've been trying to write all of my configs in Notepad and this has certainly helped. Occasionally I just think of configs to write out and I'll write out the whole thing in Notepad and then check it out. This has been really helpful especially with MPLS, ZBFW, and I want to start doing it for some of the multicast features next. Anthony S once said to create network designs utilizing various features and then write the configs out in Notepad from memory. This will really help with retention. I want to start doing that soon.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I was also thinking that I might go through these again before Mock 3:

Bridging & Switching: 1.1-1.15
    Frame-Relay: 2.1-2.8
    IP Routing: 3.1-3.11
    RIP: 4.1-4.11
    EIGRP: 5.1-5.10
    OSPF: 6.1-6.14
    BGP: 7.1-7.12
    IPv6: 9.1-9.9
    Multicast: 8.1-8.10
    MPLS VPN: 14.1-14.7
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I just wrapped up WB2, Lab 17. It wasn't that bad and I've noticed my QoS skills are beginning to come around. That is a huge relief.
    PITA lab. The last two tasks in the QoS section conflict with each other per the stated requirements. I tried like hell to find some way for it to work, but it wouldn't.

The ZBF section also breaks the BGP peering between R6 and R5 and they don't even mention it. When you apply the configs, it's fine, but if you reset the peering, they won't come back up. When we talked to the proctor at Narbik's bootcamp, he said they don't reboot your rack before the grader, but power issues do happen. Definitely something to be mindful about when configuring any type of security on a transit router.

I've also gotten in the habit of hard coding all MPLS/OSPF/BGP router-IDs because of the above and the possible creation of loopbacks later on. That combined with a power reset could tank a huge portion of your lab.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    It would be interesting to know exactly how the lab is built. Is the hardware DC powered utilizing a DC power plant with battery back-up or is strictly AC powered. Either way....it's like they have always told us...save your work frequently.
  • Options
    Happy holidays!
  • Options
    Happy holidays!
    My Christmas present is lab 18 today. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    My Christmas present is lab 18 today. :)

Nice! How'd it go?
  • Options
    I just paid for my lab. I'm scheduled for 3/29/2013.
  • Options
    Nice! How'd it go?
    When I first saw the diagram and how simple it was at L3, my first thought was "OMG what are they gonna do to me in here?".

The IPv4 section is pretty straightforward though, although there's a few points you can miss if you aren't careful. The QoS is also straightforward, especially if you're comfortable with all the L2 QoS stuff.

The Services section wasn't to my liking though. I think task 7.7 (mislabeled as 7.4) is blatantly unfair. If you're going to require a vlan access-map for non-standard traffic types, they should provide the EtherType code. I get that they were trying to not come right out and tell you to use a vlan access-map, but at last pick a protocol that's in the DocCD somewhere. And I say this as someone who has a bunch of EtherType codes memorized: IPv4, IPv6, IPX, ARP, RARP, CDP, VTP, DTP, UDLD and STP. Guess I have one more to add to the list. :) After it was over, I googled around trying to see if that protocol code was mentioned on the DocCD somewhere. Best I could find was a couple of links on Cisco's site that I don't think you have access to during the lab.

The Traceroute task was just a stupid router trick IMO. One thing I need to get in the habit of, is doing things that break the rules if I think that's the only way to solve the problem since they ask you to do things that break the "no static routes, no additional IP address, no PBR" rules in the solution and I'm trying to find another way to do it. That was Narbik's suggestion in the bootcamp as well, especially if it affects core connectivity. Just get it working however you can.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Zartanasaurus, thanks for the review. This sounds like it's going to be interesting. I will probably complete that lab next week.
  • Options
    Only have the following left from my mini review before Mock Lab 3:
    IPv6: 9.1-9.9
    Multicast: 8.1-8.10
    MPLS VPN: 14.1-14.7

I've been deviating from that layout as necessary to touch on my weak areas. I'm looking forward to going back to WB2 and 4.
  • Options
    I didn't get in any labbing in at work today because it was too busy (11 hour day), but I stayed up until 1:30am to get some time in.

I only have MPLS VPN: 14.1-14.7 left before I move forward in Petr's plan. (to Week 40)

I have ML3 this weekend so that will be fun.
  • Options
    Mock lab 3 today...
  • Options
    Mock lab 3 today...
    Starting ML5 in 30 minutes. Enjoy, I thought 3 was the hardest of the first 3.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options

I actually found this one easier than 1 and 2. I guess its all in what your strong points are. I worked up until the very end though.
  • Options
    I am starting to figure out what I need to change about my time management to make sure I can finish in time. I feel much more confident in my IPv6, multicast, and security. However, I do need a lot of work on QoS.

I'm anxiously awaiting my Mock Lab 3 grade.
  • Options
    I just got my ML3 grade back... That was my best grade yet. I need to stop wasting so much time verifying after every single step. I should wait until the end.
  • Options

How'd ML5 go?
  • Options
    How'd ML5 go?
    I never know for sure until I get my score. :):)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    I just got my ML3 grade back... That was my best grade yet. I need to stop wasting so much time verifying after every single step. I should wait until the end.
    I don't know what the right call is here. Time is generally not my issue. If the technology is something that is completely out of left field for me, I just make a note to come back. I verify everything as I do it, but I also do a hard stop with 1 hour left to use for verification. Any extra time I have after that and I'll try to figure out those last 2-3 tasks that I couldn't get.

One thing I do know is, almost everyone who posts a success story on INE emphasizes verification. It's probably +EV to spend more time assuring you got the tasks right that you should get right vs trying to spend that time on some task you're completely unfamiliar with.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
  • Options
    I tried TS Lab 1 and got crushed. I started 15 minutes late because I got stuck in traffic and it was downhill from there.

I need to really start studying more each day because that was awful. I've done really well on the TS sections of ML1-3, but this one killed me.
  • Options
    Excellent write-up on troubleshooting by Deepak on IEOC.com:
    Troubleshooting last-ditch tactic - IEOC - INE's Online Community
  • Options
    I just wrapped up Lab 18 in WB2. It was fun. It wasn't too difficult.

What's left:
    Week 44: VOL4 Labs 7+8

Week 45: VOL2 Lab 19
    Week 46: VOL4 Labs 9+10
    Week 47: VOL2 Lab 20
    Week 48: Mock Lab 4
  • Options
    I dont know if anyone else has seen this, but here is a guide to where topics are located in the DocCD:

Cisco DOC-CD Locations « Routing-Bits

3560 Guide:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/3560SCG.pdf
  • Options
    On to WB4, Lab 8...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Awesome links!

Looks like you'll be wrapping up the WB's soon enough, the finish line is coming into view for you!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS