Options

Affective Today my job has been outsourced!

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Xavor wrote: »
    Is your wireless and esxi separated on different subnets already, or is it all lumped together (hope not!)?

right now wireless is on my LAN primary subnet which is a HP Procurve. On the procurve a 2 port vlan has been created for both of the R610's network facing connections with routing to the primary LAN; so yes the ESXi cluster is separated from the primary LAN and wireless.

I just ordered a Raspberry PI on Sunday and it should be here tomorrow that I'm going to make into a DHCP server that will be on the vlan for the wireless which will be routed directly to the Sonicwall (and only the sonicwall) for internet access with content filtering.

On a postive note of the job front, I got 4 confirmed 2nd "in person" interviews for next week. 2 of them notified me via email that they are very interested in me and my skillsets. Now it's on to money I'm sure.

What do you guys think? - I make 45k right now but would it be reasonable to ask for 60 to 65k as in what I make right now? and then ask for 70k? - or what do you guys think?
  • Options
    Update: had two very successful 3rd interviews last week; one on Thursday night at a diner and the other at a coffee cafe last night. Both of the employer's understood I'm currently working and were flexible meeting.

All in all they were technical interviews and I spruced up the meetings with the flowchart of my home lab with descriptions and pictures to show them I'm not just a resume builder but a technical person. They were shocked by the degree of planning and fiscal investment into the hardware in the multi-vendored lab.

We talked for about 2 hours on both of them but it didn't seem like 2 hours. we talked about numerous topics and I could see I peaked their interests in the the fact I knew what I was talking about and passionate about it.

In closing both of them said my technical forte was higher than most they interviewed and I was in the top 3 of their selections. They said they would give me feedback in a week or two. They said also I'm more a mid-ranged engineer than a novice person compared to other they interviewed.

See I don't consider myself a expert since I don't know everything but apparently I know more than I think to impress a MCSE and a CCNP in both technical interviews (they were inspired by the fact I think with the mentality that I still have a lot to learn - I guess a ton of people they interviewed think they know everything).... I surprise even myself.... the conversations just flowed...
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep the updates coming. Very inspiring!
  • Options
    Had another 3rd in-person interview today and it went surprisingly well. They said my skill-sets are intermediate to advanced with technical support and Networking/System administration. I took a quick 20 minute 25 question quiz then got asked about 20 interview questions.

One question they asked was: what is the difference between TCP/UDP; well duh... connection-full and connection-less! - well apparently I was the only person ever to get it correct that they have on-board. and I said it so quickly they were like I guess you know networking; I said "some"....

all in all it was a good interview, dressed accordingly as always, business casual (ironed shirt, tie and pants); they said I was looking very sharp.

they asked about salary and I said 60k which I think is acceptable; would be a 15k increase over what I make now and the job is only 5.2 miles from the house. Right now I spent $850 a month on gas for a job that is 58 miles; one way!

in the closing they said the position was for one person initially but they lost a network and system engineer the week prior so they have 3 opening to fill and they felt my skillset were pretty good and that they would be in-touch soon....

now to just wait....

another phone interview tomorrow and Thursday.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, it sounds like you're knocking the interviews out of the park. Reading some of the things your current/soon to be old boss says are so aggravating. A nice revenge would be a shorter commute and a large pay raise, hah.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I figure you have a new job by now lol :) Good luck. I see something coming your way in next week or two.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Sounds great @Deathmage! Glad to hear your interviews are going so well.
  • Options
    Just has another phone successful interview with a company called Safari Networking (they are the company that setups and takes down the new stands and press area's for PGA gold courses - you know those NBC or Gold Channel news stands - they set those up with mobile IT networks). They were a referral from my current job's CFO (whom was a IT Director at his last job) - I just spoke with 3 guys on the phone and they liked my resume and the fact I mentioned the home lab and I explained it to them and they all followed it exactly which was impressive since they were like wow you know a ton!

Anyways I sparked their interests for them to re-work there calenders for me to meet them tomorrow morning for a in-person interview....

One more phone interview on Thursday morning and I'm done with interviews and then I guess I just need to wait and see...
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep it up man, look forward to reading what job you land.
  • Options
    Things are looking good. I got two emails this morning, the one company that did a in-person interview last Thursday and the one I did on Tuesday both want me to come back in for a 4th interview.... icon_cheers.gif

the excitement is um.... icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take advantage of this opportunity to ask them all the questions you can think of. Take a note book with you and write down there responses.
    Ask about what kind of technologies they have that you would be working with, ask them what they all do for hobbies ect.

That way when you start to get offers coming in you will an idea of what company you may prefer to work for.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Things are looking good. I got two emails this morning, the one company that did a in-person interview last Thursday and the one I did on Tuesday both want me to come back in for a 4th interview.... icon_cheers.gif

the excitement is um.... icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif

4th rounds??? damn man...companies love dragging out these interviews. If its more than 2 rounds, I'm not really interested...no reason for more than that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    4th rounds??? damn man...companies love dragging out these interviews. If its more than 2 rounds, I'm not really interested...no reason for more than that...

Agreed, seems pointless, but congrats to him to getting to the 4th round.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree with those above me, I couldn't imagine going through 4 interviews with a single company. I've never experienced anything like that, although I know it isn't unheard of either. Best of luck to you though, hopefully you land one of them soon, and there won't be a 5th round!
  • Options
    Update: the interview I did on Tuesday morning landed me a 2nd interview yesterday and i saw they were unsure of at 1st (little did I know it was the Marketing and Sales Director) then the NOC Manager came into the room and he started asking me system and network question and I knocked his socks off with the responses you could see him relate with the answers and he gave them all like a smile of approval and there demeanor changed instantly....

after that we chatted for another 40 minutes about the company and how they need another systems/data engineer since most of there techs are voice guys. I'd be coming on-board to support and teach other user on system/and networking which focuses on data to the rest of the company while working with one guy that was my reference point that is there data/system guy.

all in all it went well and they said they'd talk to me very soon.... icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif

Is it normal to get better and better at interviewing as you do them more and more?
  • Options

Is it normal to get better and better at interviewing as you do them more and more?

Congrats, and absolutely! I often will entertain calls I get about jobs even though I don't intend on taking them just to simply improve my discussion skills.

Hopefully you will hear something soon
  • Options
    I thinking waiting sucks the most! - I so want out of my current job so badly it's nutso!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BradleyHU wrote: »

+1

Same here I've passed up jobs because of this nonsense.

I am working for a fortune 25 company and they got it done in 2 interviews. No reason for anymore, that just reeks of a sloppy HR department and a indecisive hiring manager.
  • Options
    I think I found a job I'm taking as a Network Engineer. MY job would be a mix of office remote work and "make-face" customer visits were I assess networks and present recommendations for improvements.

They are one of the MSP's in my area; they are offering me 50k to start as a probationary period and then going to 57k after the 3 months; which would be a 9% increase from what I make now. it's 30 minutes from the house compared to the 1:12 minute drive currently; one way, so I'll save on gas! - spending $850 a month on gas alone.

The company is small only about 30 people and very close-knit, so I'm really looking forward to it. I will be putting in my notice next Monday and starting the new job on the 2nd of September. :) - the new company said if my current employer cuts me loose sooner I can start sooner, just doing my professional part and giving the 2 week notice.

icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I think I found a job I'm taking as a Network Engineer. MY job would be a mix of office remote work and "make-face" customer visits were I assess networks and present recommendations for improvements.

They are one of the MSP's in my area; they are offering me 50k to start as a probationary period and then going to 57k after the 3 months; which would be a 9% increase from what I make now. it's 30 minutes from the house compared to the 1:12 minute drive currently; one way, so I'll save on gas! - spending $850 a month on gas alone.

The company is small only about 30 people and very close-knit, so I'm really looking forward to it. I will be putting in my notice next Monday and starting the new job on the 2nd of September. :) - the new company said if my current employer cuts me loose sooner I can start sooner, just doing my professional part and giving the 2 week notice.

icon_bounce.gificon_bounce.gif

Congratulations :D Glad you found something with no problem and in so short time. Best luck to you!
  • Options
    Congrats! I know right where the town is too, it's a nice little town. Glad you were able to find something close to home, that area can be tough
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
  • Options
    thanks guys I'm kind of excited. I do have two more companies over the break that are still "processing" other applicatants they said; so if they provide something better I'll weigh my options. I just can't wait forever, I guess I wasn't exactly what they were looking for, the current offer seems very excited to bring me onboard, so I guess that must count for something...

I told the one company that offered me the job yesterday that I'd like to start on the 1st week of September, giving my 2 week notice next Monday. If one of the other companies get back to me I'll see if there better and make a decision. I won't sign the contract with the current offer until the last week of August if nothing else turns up.

Either way the current solo offer is a better job overall than my current job and it's closer to home, they just don't have dental but have health insurance. But I just finished getting my teeth all fixed 2 months ago and I can't imagine a cleaning to cost me massive money.

I just don't want to stay at my current job longer than September. I've already started resigning myself from my current job already, the excitement of the one job is amazing. I didn't think I'd get a response so quickly but the chemistry of the company and the people was great, the culture of the company last week was nice. Plus I get 16 days of paid time off (vacation) and 12 sick days!

so many options, so many options!
  • Options
    NYWomanNYWoman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would branch out geographically, and be willing to move where the good tech jobs are. There's a tech triangle (Research Triangle) in North Carolina. Your area comes up as a higher salary area than most - so that's good - however, how many jobs are there available? San Francisco brings in good salaries, and of course Boston - but both of those are also have high living expenses. Search on Monster for your ideal job - and analyze the trend of how many jobs are available in that niche by state/area. I wish you the very best of luck. Always speak highly, or not at all, or make a face, about your previous employer - you must always be the one seen to take the high road. Here are 230 tech jobs with salaries over $60,000 in the US for someone who has experience, non-managerial - Full Time Experienced (Non-Manager) IT Computer & IT Services Technical Support Jobs
  • Options
    Hey guys so I got my contract I will be signing on the 2nd of September; my new boss is rather down to earth and very helpful, a polar opposite of the negative boss I have currently.

I told him my skillsets are limited to a flat single domain topology with 3 satellite locations and a complete corporate network with a simple WAN but is limited to about 6 vlans as being the most complex of any of the networks; he said you can learn the rest from your peers and experience (3 of my other coworkers are CCNA/CCNP Engineers) so it going to be neat to learn from others instead of doing all the learning by-myself.

Nearly 80% of what is expected of me I did on a daily basis before I was essentially demoted. I'm no expert and I told them this, I consider myself novice with IT even thougyh so many call me intermediate-advanced just because I know I can learn so much more and I'm hard on myself too.

Below is a snippet of what my job roles will entail:

• Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is awesome. Congratulations man, and best of luck at the new job.
  • Options
    A little update:

Submitted my resignation on Sunday to the owners of the company not my boss. After the way he treated me over the years I didn't want him to throw me under the rug.

I actually had a better than anticipated meeting with the owners than I thought. They said everyone likes me and that he and his brokther like me alot. More-so on so many levels that my predecessor.

He told me it like I was going to say it that I need to learn as much as I can since I'm young and they both have seen me not learning for months.

On a positive note he said if in 5 years I feel I've learn all I can to contact him and I could come back. icon_bounce.gif

He did tell me he understands another reason why I'm leaving and it's becasue of my boss. He told me he told my boss this "you couldn't get alone with Mike and he left, and now you couldn't get alone with [me], maybe the problem isn't them [my boss] maybe the problem is you"

Overall he made it better for me since I've gotten close to everyone in the company but I've just stopped learning since everything is working now. I need to see other stuff in order to grow...
  • Options
    It's kind of interesting; I put in my 2 week notice and now my boss is all nice to me. I've been sitting back and doing pretty much nothing so the new IT company can transition into the stuff I wasn't supposed to be doing but was doing anyways the past 4 months they have been on-board and they are dropping the ball big time.

Meanwhile people are coming to me like [me] can you please help us! .... I'm like nope I can't call the other company and ask them to help and everyone is like they are soo slow, they really suck! - with you it was fixed right away.

People are seeing that a world without me handling matters 24/7 that the company will fall apart as soon as I leave...

I don't wish this upon them but people are seeing my bosses decisions to remove me from IT as a huge mistake.... essentially he pushed me to this point and all my current co-workers see this and they understand why I'm moving on but they are fearful of what will happen when I leave...

its a nice feeling and scary too...
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

People are seeing that a world without me handling matters 24/7 that the company will fall apart as soon as I leave...

I would be interested in seeing a followup to this in 3 months. It has been my experience over the years that when a key employee that can't be replaced finally leaves the company just keeps on going without them.

I do wish them and you both well and I am sure it's going to work out for everyone. This is just something I suggest you reflect on in a few months to give you perspective on the situation after you are removed from it and have seen it play out. I find many people live in the moment and forget the importance of reflection.

Great news on the new job!

Jon
  • Options
    Well interesting enough today i got a email from a company i was hoping for, it's the one 12 minutes from the house. They want a 4th interview with the two owners tomorrow at 4. I asked for 65k the last I spoke to them.

This job would be close to home and a 20k increase. Kind of hoping for this one...