Options

motivation group for folks studying and taking the LX0-101 and 102 in 3 to 4 months.

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I can respect that; I'm getting my schooling done before the wife and I start our family. I have a Belgian Malinois that is like a toddler though, she's about a year and a half old :)

lol yea I know what ya mean. I have a yorkshire terrier...her and my son fight like brother and sister.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I have been trying to follow along with the TestOut videos, but I've been tending to lose interest with them after a little while. Working through LinuxAcademy, and actually starting at the bottom (user interfaces & desktop) because that's the most boring section, IMO. Hoping to get my least favorite stuff knocked out first, then be able to breeze through the networking / security stuff. Still attempting to work on my 30 day goal...but some of this stuff is just so numbing.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started on this about 2 weeks ago. Probably going to study for another week and then take LX0-101.

I've been using the Sybex book which I have to say is pretty awful haha. Tends to jump around a lot and doesn't build that gradually. I've also read The Linux Command Line by William E. Shotts Jr. which is actually really awesome, but somewhat off topic for the Linux+ objectives.

Do a lot of you guys have previous backgrounds in Linux or is this essentially new to you?
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I have lots of experience in Linux and Unix, but over the years have settled into using the same commands and switches. My problems is memorizing all of the additional switches and using things I have never been exposed to. For example we use volumes, but never have I had to extend or reduce a volume size. Just get more space has always been the solution.
  • Options
    linuxarcolinuxarco Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am on the last cbt and section that goes over gpg encryption. I installed ubuntu lts ver 14.04, on a physical machine. my steps I used unetbootin this made the process extremely easy, I booted from my thumb drive ran a menu driven install, I took the dual boot option, I am using grub (the iso download was the longest process) I was on the d/t in no time. Are you guys pure linux? anybody using wine to integrate some exe programs? how about security anti-virus, I am researching it says "linux" really does not need an antivirus, I am still thinking of installing one.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Yes, this is reasonable time frame in which to prepare for both exams. Someone mentioned joined virtual labs, how r u guys going about doing it?
    I have the same time frame set up for my LPIC 2 studies.
    Having questions about LILO isn't fair, even GRUB got an upgrade. So now LILO is a boot loader two generations ago and what are the chances of encountering it out there and being required to troubleshoot it from the top of your head?
  • Options
    I mentioned the virtual labs, I was thinking the hands on can be setup ssh, dns, etc or any other configurations we need to know for the exams.
    I have a ubuntu vm, I am thinking for the desktop show and share team viewer or something unless you guys can recommend something better to show and share desktop.
  • Options
    flyerxlflyerxl Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Starting my studying for LPIC 1 next Sunday, and got my account started at Linux academy today.
  • Options
    Linuxarco, what CBTs are you using? I missed that.
  • Options
    sorry cbtnuggets I finished and it was very good, the virtual instructor and the walk throughs are exactly what I needed, now t I need more. A small beginners project or something would be good, is LinuxAcademy good? I looked over their linux training course looks challenging it has labs and quizzes etc.
  • Options
    The labs are ok, as are the quizzes. I really like the shorter videos (usually < 10 minutes, though some can be upwards of 20 minutes) as well as the ability to spin up virtual Linux environments in a matter of moments.
  • Options
    I have a project, it ain't short though:

LFS Project Homepage

I like to promote this project. It is a great learning tool. I completed LFS twice and then moved on to Beyond Linux From Scratch. The first time I didn't get KDE to work, the 2nd time I did. It is basically build you own distribution. I wrote about it on my blog. It is basically the foundation of what I do day to day. Right now our YUM repo its working, and someone asked for g++. I had built gcc a while ago, which g++. I was able to suplly the user with what he needed, all from what I learned building Linux From Scratch. I have built tons of software on this job and installed it. All from the methods I learned in building LFS.

LinuxFromScratch
    brownwrap
  • Options
    Took some time to work on the studies over the holiday, ended up knocking out the SQL, System Logging (syslog / rsyslog) and Mail Transfer Agent material. All of it was pretty straightforward, no real surprises - most of it was refresher / review. Goal for today is to knock out Bash Shell Customization and Bash Scripting / Automation - figuring I will get some of the longer material knocked out now so that way I can coast through some of the other stuff as it pertains to networking / security / printing.
  • Options
    So running a little behind on the scripting, but if you've done any entry level programming, then the scripting in Linux should just be a refesher. Bash Shell customization was pretty easy and straightforward as well, just knowing how to configure bash shell login / logout commands, modifying the command prompt display, and colors.

Goal for today: Accessibility, Localization and CRON/Automation
  • Options
    I got the linux academy, its good, its online, priced right, it has various linux distros that you can ssh to, video lectures, labs, and quizzes. The thing with linux its not hard its command line driven.
  • Options
    Had some things come up yesterday, so had to hold off on CRON until today. Accessibility is really easy, knowing where to go to locate the accessibility features and how they work. Localization has to do with time zones and language settings, such as knowing how to edit environment variables to change either/or, using the locale command to see available locales / character maps, etc. CRON was just knowing how to schedule jobs (user / system level) as well as one time jobs with AT, and restricting who can schedule CRON / AT jobs.

Goal for today: Linux Date and Time, since it's New Years Eve.

Looking to be completed with the LinuxAcademy videos / notes by end of the week, review some topics in the book next week, and do some practice exams before I schedule 102.
  • Options
    Happy New Years! Have to say as someone with no background in Linux, this has actually been fairly difficult. I'm getting close though and feeling really motivated lately. (Maybe it's the thought of the new year icon_lol.gif) 88-90%'s on WGU's pretests for LX0-101. I should have the voucher by the end of this week, hopefully testing and passing sometime before Monday.

The official Linux+ study guide has started to grow on me haha. Still not a huge fan, but I've found a lot of uses for it as a reference.

5ekurity you're a workhorse man! I like how you split things up on a day to day basis and review progress regularly. I'm going to try implementing some of that into my own habits. I tend to review/study for 7-8 hours in a day then do nothing for 2-3 days. I'd rather get something more consistent going.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm taking this soon too (and the LFCE). I've been using the Sybex book and various training videos. I have good experience but I know I get lazy with "autocomplete" and "--help". icon_cool.gif Good luck everyone!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

fuz1on, are you taking LFCE (Engineer) or Admin?
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    5ekurity you're a workhorse man! I like how you split things up on a day to day basis and review progress regularly. I'm going to try implementing some of that into my own habits. I tend to review/study for 7-8 hours in a day then do nothing for 2-3 days. I'd rather get something more consistent going.

Haha..thanks aderon, I am taking this via WGU also with the goal of completing my bachelor's degree in 2015 so I'm very determined to get this done. Posting my daily goals on here has helped to keep me consistent and honest with my studies. I was in the same pattern as you for 101 re: study a lot one day, then nothing for 2-3 days, and it just kept pushing back the completion date i had set for myself. I've found it much more easy to manage to just set realistic / achievable goals each day and be consistent with the studies. Outside of the WGU curriculum, I also have some SANS training in 2015 and will likely be sitting for the CISSP-ISSAP, so I have a lot of work to do.
  • Options
    Took care of the Date/Time topics on 12/31, biggest takeaway from this was NTP - what it is, how it works, commands to sync your BIOS time w/ OS time. The rest was closely related to the topics already reviewed in Localization.

Goal for today: In Depth User & Group Management, Linux Networking, and Linux Security.
  • Options
    It has been a long time since I took a Pearson Vue test. Do they have scratch paper there in the room? I ask because in order for me to compute umask settings I need to convert to binary and 'and' the settings. I can't do that in my head.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

They give you a dry erase board / pad that you can put whatever you want to on there.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    fuz1on, are you taking LFCE (Engineer) or Admin?

LFCE (Engineer). I bought a voucher for this exam first. Then I saw the 5-in-1 deal (or at least 3-in-1) so I had to sign up since all CompTIA exams went up in price yesterday. $277 for each exam now. YUCK! icon_twisted.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    I have signed up for Admin, but I need Linux+ for my job. So I need to get that out of the way first. Engineer is going to be harder, and neither one is recognized by the DOD. I told the Linux Foundation they should try and get on the approved list of DOD certs. They thought that list was only for security certs.
  • Options
    One last question. I read on the Pearson email that I was sent you need two picture IDs with a signature. I have my driver's license with my signature on it, but that's it. I have a US Government issued ID, but it doesn't have my signature on it.
  • Options
    I always use my drivers license and credit card with signature and have never had a problem.
  • Options
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I always use my drivers license and credit card with signature and have never had a problem.

Oh wow, didn't think of a credit card as an ID.
  • Options
    Yeah so long as it's signed and presented with your drivers license, that will classify as the two forms of necessary ID.

Got the User/Group Management, Networking and Security all taken care of. Again, nothing really groundbreaking here - although LinuxAcademy goes over IPTraf and I've never seen or heard anyone talk about this tool before (the preference of course being Wireshark). Anyway, only three more modules to go - Printing, Host Security and SSH / Secure Access. Started on the printing tonight, should have that and the other two modules completed tomorrow. Then it's back to the Sybex Linux+ book to just review a few things, then practice test. If I could sit for this test by the end of the week, that would be about a week ahead of my 'schedule'.
  • Options
    So I haven't tested yet, but my voucher request has been submitted to WGU. I should be able to take LX0-101 sometime this week. Wish me luck! icon_cheers.gif