Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

1434445464749»

Comments

• Options
    mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I regret that I never made a physical lab in my studies, I always worked through GNS3 or PT. When I hit the field I was shocked when I had to do the physical layer crap too. I'm now a pro at it though ;p Cool labs, love it. Keep workin' we're all reaching for the top!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^^^ That's why when asked, I still recommend picking up a couple of pieces of physical gear if possible if you've never touched a router before, even if you do plan to do your studying in GNS3 or PT. It doesn't even have to be good gear, just something you can actually get your hands on. The first time you spend an hour pouring over your configs only to realize you just had an Ethernet cable not pushed in all the way, you'll get it.
  • Options
    the_dude7the_dude7 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since my two laptops don't have ports for direct Ethernet cable connections (RJ-45s), I assume I will need some kind of converter into a USB then? To connect them to these routers and serve as the "hosts" in my lab setups. Seem affordable on Amazon, just around $13.

Also, can you simultaneously use the Console connection and an actual Ethernet connection on the same computer to a router/switch? And use the Console one just for management of the router/switch through a terminal program like Putty, while the Cat 5 Ethernet cable is used for the actual main connection?
  • Options
    Shinjusn0wShinjusn0w Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I currently dont have any certs but persuing my CCENT.
    I got some old switches and routers from my current job.

I have 2 routers
    1x Cisco 2600 series Router
    1x Cisco 2500 Series Router
    1x Cisco switch 3550
    Maybe getting another 3550 as well.

Once I get through my todd lammle CCNA R&S study guide a bit more. I cant wait to get started with labs.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes you certainly can run a console connection and an ethernet connection.

but, if the piece of equipment is reloaded, the connection is lost. and you can not get back in until the system is up. you will only be able to see the system startup messages from the console.

and also any ethernet connections that went through the piece of equipment that reloaded is also lost. and will need to be reconnected.

easier to do the config from the console. then when everything is up and running to use the ethernet connections.
  • Options
    Shinjusn0wShinjusn0w Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shinjusn0w wrote: »
    I currently dont have any certs but persuing my CCENT.
    I got some old switches and routers from my current job.

I have 2 routers
    1x Cisco 2600 series Router
    1x Cisco 2500 Series Router
    1x Cisco switch 3550
    Maybe getting another 3550 as well.

Once I get through my todd lammle CCNA R&S study guide a bit more. I cant wait to get started with labs.

Is this a good learning setup?

also should I also use GNS3 and Packet Tracer as well or will the home lab be sufficient?

Please ignore that last quick post. #1448 or delete it for me please

Thank you
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!