Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just make sure that you don't mix the two as it could have serious consequences! icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

TechJunky wrote:

That bright yellow cable is for the spare IP Phone that I use when I am in the lab, so dont mind that cable. It's bright yellow for multiple reasons. icon_lol.gif

Actually, I thought that if you pulled on that yellow cable then everything would unravel! icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you guys know, if those skeletek will handle heavy 2U server? like Dell/HP?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Heres mines:

Skeletek 28U Rack-

In order from top to bottom:
    Patch Panel- 192.168.1.x (Home Network)

Netgear Switch (24 Port)- 192.168.1.x Network

Patch Panel- 172.16.0.x (Lab Network)

Cisco Switch- Unused, just wanted to mess with one. Kind of cool having command line interface. (192.168.1.254)

Netgear Switch (10 Port)- 172.16.0.x Network

4 Port KVM Switch

Dell 2550 Server (Static IP)

Sun Microsystems Server (Was given, have no idea how to use it)

Ghost Server- Nothing special, 400 mhz CPU running 2003 as well. (192.168.1.100, moving to the 172.16.0.x network. Used this temporarily as my router just to mess around with).

th_HPIM3353.jpg

He's got some beefy stuff in there (click to enlarge). I'm actually curious how he has that setup. Maybe he has something underneath on the bottom that provides support in the back. I have a couple of 1U HP DL360s, and it doesn't seem like it would work well at all. They're so long that it seems like there would be too much tension for just a few bolts in the front. I actually laid them on the frame and put a cardboard box underneath them in the back.
  • Options
    Yea, the DL-360s are long and heavy. I also have a couple in a sturdy 25U rack enclosure but not sure about the Skeletek. That might be pushing the envelope or better yet pushing the fulcrum. icon_wink.gif

Is there a full rack that is affordable? kinda inconvenient when your moving your rack around, then you break it cause of this long server...
  • Options
    Probably depends upon what you consider affordable. icon_wink.gif

What do you guys have in mind? 24U or 28U rack would be sweet icon_cool.gif if you give me the name, I'll try to search it on Ebay to see if I can get it there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Man. I need to start using Craig's List more often. I found one guy that would deliver a full rack (good condition) for what I paid for my Skeletek. The Skeletek is a nice piece of equipment, but it's really not made for a lot of larger gear.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    dynamik wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Heres mines:

Skeletek 28U Rack-

In order from top to bottom:
    Patch Panel- 192.168.1.x (Home Network)

Netgear Switch (24 Port)- 192.168.1.x Network

Patch Panel- 172.16.0.x (Lab Network)

Cisco Switch- Unused, just wanted to mess with one. Kind of cool having command line interface. (192.168.1.254)

Netgear Switch (10 Port)- 172.16.0.x Network

4 Port KVM Switch

Sun Microsystems Server (Was given, have no idea how to use it)

Ghost Server- Nothing special, 400 mhz CPU running 2003 as well. (192.168.1.100, moving to the 172.16.0.x network. Used this temporarily as my router just to mess around with).

th_HPIM3353.jpg

He's got some beefy stuff in there (click to enlarge). I'm actually curious how he has that setup. Maybe he has something underneath on the bottom that provides support in the back. I have a couple of 1U HP DL360s, and it doesn't seem like it would work well at all. They're so long that it seems like there would be too much tension for just a few bolts in the front. I actually laid them on the frame and put a cardboard box underneath them in the back.

What do you mean provide support? Are you talking about balancing it because the servers are flushed? I bought these rails online and their rated for more than what the server weighs. Says can be flush or center mounted. There are 2 rails used for just holding regular non-rackmount PC's on the bottom. Everything else is just stacked. Also have coasters underneath. As for those with wood floors know moving a heavy rack on top of it will scratch it up badly. =(
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    There are 2 rails used for just holding regular non-rackmount PC's on the bottom. Everything else is just stacked.

That answers my question. Thanks :D
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    There are 2 rails used for just holding regular non-rackmount PC's on the bottom. Everything else is just stacked.

That answers my question. Thanks :D

http://www.dantrak.net/item/57
  • Options
    Cool thanks. I wonder why they're only compatible with the 28. I only have the 20 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Cool thanks. I wonder why they're only compatible with the 28. I only have the 20 icon_sad.gif

http://www.dantrak.net/item/56
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might post my rack this weekend.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

+1 for not doing research icon_lol.gif

Thanks again.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

+1 for not doing research icon_lol.gif

Thanks again.

NP. I think there are 2 different ones because due to the different length of the base. But vice versa should work. Their the same thing just different lengths.
  • Options
    I picked this up today at Northrop Gruman

It's a 22U rack with wheels, in a brand new condition every manual screws and stabilizer all came with it on it's original packaging just for 200 $ this costs 2000 $, I'll take a pix tonite, this thing is extremely beautiful, I caused a little scratch when moving it, this was extremely heavy, I had to ask help to move it.

They still have 42U up for sale if your interested 2 of them are brand new, I'll take some pix tonite and post it.

http://content.etilize.com/Thumbnail/1010600528.jpg
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:

It's a 22U rack with wheels, in a brand new condition every manual screws and stabilizer all came with it on it's original packaging just for 200 $ this costs 2000 $, I'll take a pix tonite, this thing is extremely beautiful, I caused a little scratch when moving it, this was extremely heavy, I had to ask help to move it.

They still have 42U up for sale if your interested 2 of them are brand new, I'll take some pix tonite and post it.

I'm intrested!
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

I'm intrested!

Actually if they have the 22u I am. If the 42u nevermind. No space!
  • Options
    dscn1024uv9.jpg
    dscn1025hs0.jpg
    dscn1026uc8.jpg

As you can see my bulldog is doing some quality/chemical inspection in here icon_lol.gif

dscn1027uv2.jpg
    dscn1031yw3.jpg
  • Options
    Now I can lock my bulldog inside this rack when she doesn't stop humping my GF legs icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Why's everyone hating on the larger racks? The footprint is the same. Do you just stack crap on yours? Do you have some neat little cubbyhole that the small one fits into? Can't you just put shelves inside of it and store other stuff? Obviously there's a significant financial difference if you're buying new, but I'd go big if someone was just dumping them and I had the option.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Why's everyone hating on the larger racks? The footprint is the same. Do you just stack crap on yours? Do you have some neat little cubbyhole that the small one fits into? Can't you just put shelves inside of it and store other stuff? Obviously there's a significant financial difference if you're buying new, but I'd go big if someone was just dumping them and I had the option.

Go big or go home has always been my way of life too!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    I guess its because its normally easier to justify and/or hide ;)
  • Options
    They got blackbox was insanely huge, it's so scary to even see that actually in your home, I mean transporting that would be a pain... now if you got a garage, that would be awesome, I just wanna be a junior hehe, then a skeletek for all my network equipment... But I agree they stack up high so tendency is the same, and you get more room for what you paid, now some of the smaller racks are actually harder to find and more expensive, not sure why hehe...
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is that a concord fade pearl vision jbaello???
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge wrote:
    Is that a concord fade pearl vision jbaello???

Yes.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    rack.jpg

Top to Bottom Set up for IE WB
    2509 access server
    1760 wic enet wic1t
    2611 FR switch nm 8a/s
    2650 wic1t wict1 nm fa/1
    2620xm wic1t wict1 nm fa/1
    3640 nm 4a/s nm2e2w
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew