Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    rt27rt27 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This thread has really helped alot....although I'm not looking at an IT degree (yet) - I'm looking at WGU MBA program, and am 50-50. MCPWannabe, I'm not sure if I recall from the thread, did you get your MBA from WGU?

My main concern, like skrprune, is I want to make sure that this degree will be recognized, and obviously lead to an advanced pay. It doesn't have to be $100+K right away, that will come with time.

I know they're accredited, yada yada, and so far my experience has been good up till now getting accepted - although I'm not scrutinizing them as much as skrprune is. I had quite a few mishaps with Admissions, Financial Aid, professors, records, and dept administration when I attended a brick and mortar state run school for undergrad, so these kinds of things will happen and I don't put a lot of weight as to the education one will receive.

I just don't want to get laughed out the door when applying for jobs related to the field and waste $10k+ and precious time.
    I'm here to learn - gaining knowledge from the cradle to the grave.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    skrpune wrote:
    I don’t find fault with an independent learning program or certification-based program, but I do find fault with how WGU has chosen to waive three different classes/certs based on a completely unrelated certification. The Programming I & II and Database I requirements are supposed to be verified by CIW & Sun Java certifications…that’s got a big fat nothing to do with the topics covered on my Vista 70-620 exam! I find it somewhat scary that they’re willing to pass me on those three classes/certs based on me studying Vista for a month. Granted, I studied very intently, but I learned nothing about databases or programming. The other 'core' requirements being met or not met can be highly subjective and I know this, but in my opinion it's pretty clear cut that they made a judgment error in how they applied the Vista exam to unrelated topics/certs.

I just haven’t had a very good experience with them so far. I’m not trying to say that all online programs stink or that certification based programs are bad, but this particular one just doesn’t seem to be my cup of tea from what I've seen up until this point. It might work out okay for some, but it's not looking like I'm a member of that group.

Skrpune,

A very wise decision given your desires. As I've said before, online schools aren't for everyone. I chalk the Vista situation up more to someone making a mistake than anything else. The reason for this is because I'm completing my MCPD -- Enterprise Applications Developer (.net 2.0) this week. I called the school and asked if they would waive the programming requirements in response to this certification, which, other than the highly expensive Master's series, is Microsoft's highest certification for programming.

They told me 'no' and I am also Vista Certified. In fact, I'm a MCITP-- Enterprise Support Technician. The MCPD Enterprise Admin is way more advanced than the Sun Java Certified Associate or the CIW Professional. But oh well..

My guess is that you got someone who reviewed your records who was new or something else to that effect. That kind of stuff happens with online schools.

For my MBA, a graduate course in marriage and family counted as elective credit but a graduate course in Physiology didn't count.

Either way, reading about your situation, it seems more and more clear that you would be making a better decision to not attend an online school. If you not in a hurry and you have the time to go to school, the classroom is much better. Plus, you won't have to deal with people questioning you about your degree.

For me, the curriculum is extremely advantageous, but that is for a number of reasons. First, I am not in the situation where I can attend a classroom environment and not work. I have a wife and family depending on me. Second, I'm getting a second Master's degree in a computer related field. To do that requires that I take a year of computer related catchup courses at the graduate school, or that I just get a Bachelor's in a computer related field. Getting the Bachelor's was a no-brainer.

Last, the whole entire school for the sole sake of learning thing is something I did but left in my twenties. A number of humiliating jobs since my early 20's have done a lot to make me look at the degree as strictly a means to an end. It's fun to sometimes speak Chinese to people, point out logical theory, or talk about interesting history and science, but now, I'm at the point where I expect my degree program to deliver the bucks. If you aren't restrained by these demands, then you should take the opportunity to enjoy your program.

My wife is giving up her job and going to law school next year. She's doing it because it is something that she has always wanted to do. I tell her to go for it if it is possible.

Plus, I've talked to some older students who've gone back to the college life in their 30's. All of them appreciate it much more the second time around.

For me, the ship of full-time class learning has sailed, but I see where you could have more advantages going somewhere else.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    This thread has really helped alot....although I'm not looking at an IT degree (yet) - I'm looking at WGU MBA program, and am 50-50. MCPWannabe, I'm not sure if I recall from the thread, did you get your MBA from WGU?

My main concern, like skrprune, is I want to make sure that this degree will be recognized, and obviously lead to an advanced pay. It doesn't have to be $100+K right away, that will come with time.

I know they're accredited, yada yada, and so far my experience has been good up till now getting accepted - although I'm not scrutinizing them as much as skrprune is. I had quite a few mishaps with Admissions, Financial Aid, professors, records, and dept administration when I attended a brick and mortar state run school for undergrad, so these kinds of things will happen and I don't put a lot of weight as to the education one will receive.

I just don't want to get laughed out the door when applying for jobs related to the field and waste $10k+ and precious time.

rt27,

Very, very good points... So, the market is quite hot for MBA's with IT expertise right now.

But what of the school. Essentially, it is generally recognized in the MBA world that there are 20 schools that have a monopoly on jobs -- everyone else goes down to the far lower tiers. These 20 schools are the ones where all their graduates get out, get top jobs, and eventually become big time executives.

Then, there is a second tier where people get decent jobs but not quite on the executive level or executive honing level. There is a third tier where some of the graduates get jobs but many of them have to find jobs on their own. Then, there is the fourth tier where there is no recruiting at the school and one gets the MBA, has to find themselves a job, and very few people have heard of the MBA.

Furthermore, people from the upper schools will not respect the MBA.

My MBA was from a fourth tier school and that is where most online schools are from. I didn't get my MBA from Western Governors, but I did get it from a similar type of institution. In my case, I got it from a tax-funded, small state school that was looking to generate extra money by enrolling people in an online program. The school, I kid you not, is surrounded by tons of farms with cows and it is located in a very rural, poor area. One would be hard pressed to find someone who had heard of my MBA program outside of my state -- even within my state there are many people who've never heard of it. Yet, this was the first MBA program to be offered exclusively online in my state (now other low-money/poor schools are doing it also).

Within my school, there was no recruiting. The secretary's (who are often notorious for telling way too much) would often mention the fact that many students graduated only to be saddened that they couldn't find a job -- even before the economy tanked.

I applied for many internships as I was completing my MBA and I was rejected by every singe one of them. I ended up having to get a job for $6.50 an hour at a call center and it was embarassing. My manager, a high school GED, would often laugh at me for getting a Master's and having to work as a phone representative.

It became evident to me that my MBA didn't really hold much clout. However, I noticed that things quickly changed as I got my certifications in conjunction with the MBA. Last week, I turned down two Fortune 500 companies for jobs that only a year ago, I would have jumped up and down for an opportunity.

I had to remove my resume from the career sites because I was getting tired of recruiters calling me. All of them have mentioned the MBA in some form of Awe when talking to me.

Sometimes, I still find myself in surprise at the situation. It's become pretty clear to me that within 2 years, I'll start to clear the 100K mark pretty easily.

So, here is what I've learned. The MBA from Western Governors or other fourth tier schools won't do much by itself until you combine it with another high demand skill. Then, you start to get huge offers from jobs. Essentially, you have to let the MBA piggy back off other high demand skills to become of value in that situation.

Of course, if I had all the certifications that I do now, I probably could have gotten into one of the top 20 MBA schools, but oh well. My MBA has turned out to be quite worth it and is starting to pay for itself.

So, if you go to WGU, just realize that you will have to create your own value for the MBA.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    Excellent advice, my wife is trying to convince me to do the Bachelor's in IT, just for the certifications if nothing else, either before or after the MBA...your review seems glowing enough so I put more value in that program at WGU than I did before.

I'm so on the fence. I guess in one respect I"m lucky, because I already work for a Fortune 500 company albeit a small role for now. I am confident that with an MBA from WGU, perhaps I can get a business analyst role or something of that nature which would be under 100k but a definite jump in salary. I mean one of the middle managers graduated with a Bachelor from Phoenix University, so I think it's definitely possible to get a salary increase with the MBA from Western Governors. And then per your advice, quantify the MBA with relevant certs in IT or other specialization. I guess a question to ask would be does the MBA in IT at WGU also put one in a position to gain certifications, or is the Bachelor's necessary. I would have to ask them that question - that will have a big impact on which MBA program to pick.

I mean, I'm not expecting to be a director or executive right out of the box. The Senior director of my dept and I get along, he's about 35 or so a little older than me - I'm 32. So perhaps I'm in the right position to move forward. Plus I ran my own business for about 5-6 years before I had to get out for health reasons, so I have great business experience already.

As you can tell, I'm at a serious crossroads and because of health, money, time, etc I can't even consider a B&M for my MBA, even though I would have no problem getting accepted to a Tier 2, possible Tier 1 school.

Either way, I'm all set to start WGU Jan 2. I"m trying to do some serious soul searching between now and then.....
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    It doesn't look like the masters in IT has any IT certs associated with it. It does however include a "Certified MBA" exam, which is supposed to be "the only universal measure of an MBA's command of the core business fundamentals." I haven't heard of the exam before, so I'm just going off what's included on the website link...it seems to be used to certify some base level of knowledge in finance, marketing, operations, etc. - business management type stuffs.

rt27 - if the only reason you're thinking of switching from the MBA program down to the BS program just because of the certifications, FYI you can do most if not all of them on your own if you wish. I'm not trying to knock the BS program, I'm just saying that you can make the choice to not downgrade the degree and to do the certs on your own...saving yourself some money and you'll get both the final degree AND the certs you want.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:
    rt27 - if the only reason you're thinking of switching from the MBA program down to the BS program just because of the certifications, FYI you can do most if not all of them on your own if you wish. I'm not trying to knock the BS program, I'm just saying that you can make the choice to not downgrade the degree and to do the certs on your own...saving yourself some money and you'll get both the final degree AND the certs you want.
    Yeah you're right, I don't think the MBA IT offers the certs...

As far as getting certs on my own, although WGU is still more of a do it yourself school - I still need a little more direction and resources than just the book to pass the certs and stay motivated. I am a do-it-your-selfer, but I'm not a do-it-all-aloner :). But you do have a point, that's why I'm committed to doing this MBA first, and then if I feel comfortable with WGU, either taking some single classes or Bachelor's in IT. I should be able to complete the MBA in a year or so. I'm confident it won't take the full 2+ years.

I feel having a Bachelor's from a an accredited university means something, so I'm not too concerned. I have a degree from a credible university already and lots of experience. But something is missing and I'm finding it hard to rise above the level I'm at now, partially because I'm not specialized in something but rather a Jack of All Trades.

Having good knowledge in IT coupled with the piece of paper saying "degree" might be the difference of making 90k or 60k.

I'm really enjoying this conversation, I'm able to think out loud so to speak and come to some good conclusions. I hope others are feeling the same. This is the ONLY viable and relevant thread in cyberspace about this topic of WGU. In fact, Bachelors in IT or just getting certs, I'm so happy I found this board to help out in the future - in that regards WGU has already proven helpful!
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    Excellent advice, my wife is trying to convince me to do the Bachelor's in IT, just for the certifications if nothing else, either before or after the MBA...your review seems glowing enough so I put more value in that program at WGU than I did before.

I'm so on the fence. I guess in one respect I"m lucky, because I already work for a Fortune 500 company albeit a small role for now. I am confident that with an MBA from WGU, perhaps I can get a business analyst role or something of that nature which would be under 100k but a definite jump in salary. I mean one of the middle managers graduated with a Bachelor from Phoenix University, so I think it's definitely possible to get a salary increase with the MBA from Western Governors. And then per your advice, quantify the MBA with relevant certs in IT or other specialization. I guess a question to ask would be does the MBA in IT at WGU also put one in a position to gain certifications, or is the Bachelor's necessary. I would have to ask them that question - that will have a big impact on which MBA program to pick.

I mean, I'm not expecting to be a director or executive right out of the box. The Senior director of my dept and I get along, he's about 35 or so a little older than me - I'm 32. So perhaps I'm in the right position to move forward. Plus I ran my own business for about 5-6 years before I had to get out for health reasons, so I have great business experience already.

As you can tell, I'm at a serious crossroads and because of health, money, time, etc I can't even consider a B&M for my MBA, even though I would have no problem getting accepted to a Tier 2, possible Tier 1 school.

Either way, I'm all set to start WGU Jan 2. I"m trying to do some serious soul searching between now and then.....

I understand the situation. I went through something like that before starting my MBA. Anyway, you made a comment about the 100K. If you do it right, it will come a lot faster than you believe.

The hottest field in IT right now is not the CCIE, but the so-called ERP software (Peoplesoft, Oracle Financials, Microsoft Dynamics, JD Edwards, etc). This is an extremely specialized skill because it involves an understanding of the business side and the IT world. One must have mastered the concepts of databases while mastering the concepts of employee best practices.

If you check Dice, you will see a large number of unfilled positions, offering over 100K a year, to work in these positions. Oracle and Microsoft have started aggressive training programs to encourage us trainers to start producing qualified people. The problem is that the numbers are still remain low because this double skill set is very low. There are lots of dba's but very few of them who have business knowledge. There are lots of MBA's but very few of them who have the necessary programming and database knowledge.

Anyway, right now, I'm a trainer/contractor. I can charge $500 a day to teach programming and be inundated with work. In fact, next month, I'll be teaching .NET. For my own schedule, I am working 3 weeks out of the month and then I take a week off for my sanity. In those 3 weeks, I pull $7500, which seems pretty decent to me -- though I end up losing a little more from paying my own health insurance and social security. Still, you can't beat 12 weeks of vacation a year.

One of my good friends, who happens to be an MBA, is an ERP trainer for Microsoft Dynamics. He charges $1250 a day and is inundated with companies calling him. He listed his profile on the training sites that that is all that it took. Companies have begged him to work for them at some pretty impressive offers. He also dosen't work every day, but he is set to gross over 250K this year.

After this certification, I am getting my Sharepoint, and then I will finish my MCITP: Microsoft Business Intelligence Developer. I, too, will charge $1250 a day to train.

Right now, ERP certifications are one of the few areas where you can make over 100K a year without any experience. As I said before, you can easily pull more than a CCIE.

But with that being said, you deal exclusively with deep-pocket business people. It's a different animal as these people will expect for you to understand the concepts in your MBA inside and out. But if you want to make a lot of money quick, master the MBA concepts and make sure that you then master Database concepts. Get the paper Bachelor degree in a computer related field so that business HR people trust you. And you'll make some really good money.
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:
    It doesn't look like the masters in IT has any IT certs associated with it. It does however include a "Certified MBA" exam, which is supposed to be "the only universal measure of an MBA's command of the core business fundamentals." I haven't heard of the exam before, so I'm just going off what's included on the website link...it seems to be used to certify some base level of knowledge in finance, marketing, operations, etc. - business management type stuffs.

I haven't had a chance to tell you, but I deeply enjoy your posts. You bring up a lot of concerns that I wish I would have had before starting my first foray into the IT world. Your clearly a very deep-thinking individual.

Regarding the cMBA, I was very excited about this when I first heard about this coming out a few years ago. It was supposed to 'even the playing field,' and prove that an MBA actually knew the MBA curriculum. The idea was that if you could make a standard process for proving a person's knowledge independent of the school, then companies would be more likely to hire an individual based on their knowledge rather than school. The top tier schools rejected it while those in the third and fourth tier loved it.

In reality, it has done absolutely nothing. The recruiting order is still the same as earlier -- with the top schools getting all the jobs and the bottom tier school's graduates having to create their own value.

Oh well.. But it was a nice idea.
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    skrpune wrote:
    Yeah you're right, I don't think the MBA IT offers the certs...

As far as getting certs on my own, although WGU is still more of a do it yourself school - I still need a little more direction and resources than just the book to pass the certs and stay motivated. I am a do-it-your-selfer, but I'm not a do-it-all-aloner :). But you do have a point, that's why I'm committed to doing this MBA first, and then if I feel comfortable with WGU, either taking some single classes or Bachelor's in IT. I should be able to complete the MBA in a year or so. I'm confident it won't take the full 2+ years.

I feel having a Bachelor's from a an accredited university means something, so I'm not too concerned. I have a degree from a credible university already and lots of experience. But something is missing and I'm finding it hard to rise above the level I'm at now, partially because I'm not specialized in something but rather a Jack of All Trades.

Having good knowledge in IT coupled with the piece of paper saying "degree" might be the difference of making 90k or 60k.

I'm really enjoying this conversation, I'm able to think out loud so to speak and come to some good conclusions. I hope others are feeling the same. This is the ONLY viable and relevant thread in cyberspace about this topic of WGU. In fact, Bachelors in IT or just getting certs, I'm so happy I found this board to help out in the future - in that regards WGU has already proven helpful!

Make sure that you go on Dice and look at the positions for ERP software. Then, change that 90K figure. The 90K is for people who manage IT but are not up with the current software. The big boys and girls can manage IT and hold their own in doing it. Just take a look. You may be pleasantly suprised. I call it the best kept secret in IT. It's turned my fourth tier MBA degree into something that can bring me a good amount of money.
  • Options
    MCPWannabe, coming from you and your experience, I highly regard this advice and it is much appreciated. I will research DICE and see what I come up with.

However, what will I need to do to get ERP certified? I noticed WGU has a Bachelor's in IT Database that deals with Oracle, which is exactly the program I'm considering, as my uncle is in MIS and making alot of $.

Is the right program which will put me on the path you are recommending?
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    MCPWannabe, coming from you and your experience, I highly regard this advice and it is much appreciated. I will research DICE and see what I come up with.

However, what will I need to do to get ERP certified? I noticed WGU has a Bachelor's in IT Database that deals with Oracle, which is exactly the program I'm considering, as my uncle is in MIS and making alot of $.

Is the right program which will put me on the path you are recommending?

Your thinking is correct. An Oracle or Microsoft DBA is a first step towards getting an ERP certification in my opinion. You will make good money off these alone, but the ERP is more specialized. With the ERP, you take your DBA certification and apply it in a business sense.

Here are some major ERP certifications:

1. Microsoft Dynamics

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/dynamics/default.mspx

2. PeopleSoft
    http://certification.about.com/od/erp/p/peoplesoft.htm

3. Oracle 11i Financial Consultant

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=44&p_org_id=1001&lang=US

Any of those will yield a ton of money.. So basically, the Oracle Database Certification is a very good start. Then, you delve technically deeper with the ERP certification. It's technically deeper because you need to learn how to apply the database knowledge in a business way, and you need to have an understanding of business in order to help you understand the business side.

This is extremely skill-prohibitive at the moment, and those of us in it won't see any drop in demand anytime soon.

Edit: Note: Right now, demand is so strong that you don't even have to advertise for business. Advertising is simply listing your profile as a certified professional on Oracle or Microsoft's website. After that, companies come calling. You essentially take out the number 1 difficulty in running a business -- attracting sufficient demand.
  • Options
    Ammo4AFAmmo4AF Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this topic. I, too, am looking at WGU for my 2nd Bachelor's degree. I had a bad initial feeling about the school until I read these posts. At this point, I am looking for nothing more than a quick 2nd Bachelor's with the certifications this degree offers. Again, thank you to all who posted here and gave their opinions.
  • Options
    rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Came to check out the hype over WGU. They are ranked #39 by OEDB [ oedb.org/rankings ].

skrpune
    Go apply for financial aid yourself through the governments website. You might still be eligible for the MAP grant. You are required to list prospective schools so figure out the likely candidates before hand. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Private institutions initially tapped this market to make money. More and more universities are providing online courses, in fact dedicating a separate website instead of combining with the other curriculum. For example, http://www.online.uillinois.edu They only offer CS bachelors and Masters related but are very reasonably priced too.

To do an IT related MBA you will have to have certain coursework completed, some business classes that weren't covered by gen. eds. and also computer courses. Take a look at the prerequisites first, you may have to complete a few courses to get into the program.

There are some distorted views of what one can receive as a salary for a particular IT position. Also, there seems to be some confusion of what educational route to go. The best way to determine what is required is to get up on the job boards and search around. Anything other than your typical support position is going to require education, in the bigger companies at least a bachelors.

IT is dynamic, that is why places want a bachelors degree because you are taught the logic behind the technologies focusing on that rather than a specific technologies. There are many technologies to achieve different business requirements and goals.

I don't think that one could move very far beyond a support role without an education above and beyond certs in most cases. Not too far off, I can expect masters being the norm as it almost is now.
  • Options
    rubberToe wrote:
    Came to check out the hype over WGU. They are ranked #39 by OEDB [ oedb.org/rankings ].

skrpune
    Go apply for financial aid yourself through the governments website. You might still be eligible for the MAP grant. You are required to list prospective schools so figure out the likely candidates before hand. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Private institutions initially tapped this market to make money. More and more universities are providing online courses, in fact dedicating a separate website instead of combining with the other curriculum. For example, http://www.online.uillinois.edu They only offer CS bachelors and Masters related but are very reasonably priced too.

To do an IT related MBA you will have to have certain coursework completed, some business classes that weren't covered by gen. eds. and also computer courses. Take a look at the prerequisites first, you may have to complete a few courses to get into the program.

There are some distorted views of what one can receive as a salary for a particular IT position. Also, there seems to be some confusion of what educational route to go. The best way to determine what is required is to get up on the job boards and search around. Anything other than your typical support position is going to require education, in the bigger companies at least a bachelors.

IT is dynamic, that is why places want a bachelors degree because you are taught the logic behind the technologies focusing on that rather than a specific technologies. There are many technologies to achieve different business requirements and goals.

I don't think that one could move very far beyond a support role without an education above and beyond certs in most cases. Not too far off, I can expect masters being the norm as it almost is now.
    Yeah, I already applied for financial aid on the federal site, and unfortunately I'm not eligible for grants as far as I can tell. I already have a BS so that counts me out for most federal and state grants, MAP included, but thanks for the info.

I'm coming to the realization now that WGU is what it is and I perhaps expected too much from it. I don't want to get in & get out with a degree...I want to be educated, and the program is one that doesn't really do that - it gives you some tools to educate yourself and gives you certs along the way and gives you a degree at the end of the journey. Not really my cup of tea and not really a program for those who are just starting in their IT careers. I think it's meant for those who already have sizable on the job experience and just need the degree to go along with it. It caters to folks who want to spend as little calendar time as possible on their degree, which is great for some and is great on the pocket book, but I've found my experiences to be troublesome.

It's no surprise that I haven't heard back from that email to my enrollment counselor yet. He's probably catching up on email from the holiday weekend, but I wonder if I ever will hear back from him to be honest. I basically called out them out for not doing a proper transcript review, so not sure if they're going to want to deal with me. And that's fine, as I've . I just think it's kinda sad that I had to call them out on that. If they had a newbie reviewing transcripts like MCPWannabe suggested, then it's clear that they need to either do better training or they need to supervise new reviewers.

I did check into the University of Illinois online program, but it's a degree continuation program...I'd have to have two semesters of programming before I went there, as well as statistics/discrete math, so it would require that I at least start somewhere else first to get those classes before transferring into the program. UofI online is actually my backup plan. If I can't hack it schedule-wise with the "live" classes at the local uni, then I'll transfer over to the UofI program after I get those intro level classes done. I plan to do one programming course inthe spring and another in the summer, so worst case scenario I can probably transfer if I need to in the fall of next year and continue online. They've got a pretty good reputation locally in IL too.

I doubt I will end up going for an MBA after a BS though...I'm more of a scientist than a business person, so if I continue on I'll likely for for a Masters of Computer Science. Depending on how things go with my bachelors studies, I might transfer into a masters program once I get the intro stuff out of the way. Not quite sure about that yet - I figured once I dip my toes into the pool, then I'll figure out if I want to dive into the deep end.

• Options
    I will admit that I'm a bit surprised - shortly after my last post, I got an email from my enrollment counselor, saying that he's forwarded my request over to the transcripts department for their review. About an hour after that, he forwarded me a revised transcript review. They now show the humanities/ethics course requirement as fulfilled, but alas still no waiving of the essay/research & communications requirements. I did get one bit of additional info - if I want any AP courses I took to apply, I'd have to forward them a college board/CLEP transcript. I'm really not wanting to pursue WGU any further, so I'm not going to put in that effort, but figured I'd share the info for anyone who does want to attend. They also revised my transcript to show programming I/II and Databases I as NOT being waived, as I asked.

At this point, my application is kinda dead in the water. I don't want to enroll unless I know for sure about financial aid. And unless I apply for a loan, my financial aid process won't be considered done. Also, I'm not going to go through the trouble/cost of getting AP transcripts forwarded to them, so I think my adventures with WGU are just about done. It's been a strange but informative journey. If nothing else, I've learned what I do not want for my education.

• Options
    skrpune wrote:
    I will admit that I'm a bit surprised - shortly after my last post, I got an email from my enrollment counselor, saying that he's forwarded my request over to the transcripts department for their review. About an hour after that, he forwarded me a revised transcript review. They now show the humanities/ethics course requirement as fulfilled, but alas still no waiving of the essay/research & communications requirements. I did get one bit of additional info - if I want any AP courses I took to apply, I'd have to forward them a college board/CLEP transcript. I'm really not wanting to pursue WGU any further, so I'm not going to put in that effort, but figured I'd share the info for anyone who does want to attend. They also revised my transcript to show programming I/II and Databases I as NOT being waived, as I asked.

At this point, my application is kinda dead in the water. I don't want to enroll unless I know for sure about financial aid. And unless I apply for a loan, my financial aid process won't be considered done. Also, I'm not going to go through the trouble/cost of getting AP transcripts forwarded to them, so I think my adventures with WGU are just about done. It's been a strange but informative journey. If nothing else, I've learned what I do not want for my education.

No fault there Skrpune... I think that you are going to have a ball going back to school full-time in a classroom environment. Not many of us get a second chance to do that. One of my wifes' close friends quit his job to go back to school full-time in his early Thirties.

He had to move into a cheap little apartment, but he absolutely loves it. He smiles sometimes when he talks about his little bit of gray hair when compared to the younger people, but he is so appreciative of the opportunity.

You'll have to keep us all updated on it as I'm sure that you will have many interesting experiences.
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:

Hi skrpune,

Not to sway your vote, so to speak, but more as an FYI for anyone else who read your post:

I'm enrolled and waiting on word for financial aid approval, however, I've made it clear to WGU that no financial aid = no attendance. I will know a few days before my scheduled start date if I'm approved for sure. Also, from previous experience, whenever you sign up for financial aid it was my understanding that you can accept a loan or not accept it. Just applying doesn't mean you have to take it. You can always deny the loan and accept any grants that come. Perhaps a second bachelor's changes things, I'm not sure how that works.

My experience has been a breeze, from application to confirmation of enrollment took exactly 1 week including Thanksgiving. I did already have transcripts and such ready to go, so there was nothing holding things up on my end. Perhaps the Graduate business programs are a lot less busy in terms of attendance, compared to undergrad programs, so maybe that's why i got quicker attention. My wife who is considering MA in education didn't get as quick as service.

Anyways, good luck wherever you attend!
  • Options
    hi rt27 - glad to hear things are going smoothly for you. I've got a question though - if you're enrolled, aren't you obligated to attend & pay tuition regardless of whether you get financial aid? I'm certain that you will be able to get student loans (the costs for the school are below the annual max disbursement for both undergrad & grad school), but are you banking on grants/other aid?

I did realize that I didn't have to accept any loans that were offered to me if I were to apply for them, but I just didn't want to have to apply for loans that I wasn't sure I needed. Seeing how things turned out, I'm glad I was a little hesitant on that.

@MCPWannabe - you're so right about older students being appreciative of the opportunity to go back to school. I've been waiting for this for about a decade. I was thiiiiiiis close to going to grad school for geology - got accepted and was ready to go...but they had no funding for me. And it wasn't something that I could fund myself, so I ended up moving to AZ with my then boyfriend/now husband to help support him as he went through grad school. That pretty much ended my scholastic career in geology...I took an admin job to make ends meet and the rest is history. This time around, my husband is now stable in his job and so now I can run off and go to school for a bit. I still have to get at least a part time job to help make ends meet, but I can focus the majority of my efforts on school for a while. We won't have tons of money to spare and we won't be able to get a second car or a new TV or oodles of Christmas presents, but it's an investment that we're willing to make for the long run.

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Actually, I enjoyed the older students while in undergraduate. I'm in grad school now, and I most definitely enjoy the older students (30+) in my classes. They are the best group members, I can relate to them more, they take the course and assignments more seriously, and I think they become better professionals because of the hard work they put into their education. Including myself, a lot of young adults took receiving a post-secondary education for granted and didn't get the most out of undergraduate education. I'm three years out of undergraduate and appreciate Grad school very much with a different attitude. There are a bunch of young adults in my classes that are going straight through undergraduate to graduate, and a lot of them have the same mindset as I and many other young adults had in undergraduate...just get'r done and who cares about retaining knowledge as long as I get a B or better.

My experience of course :) .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    @famosbrown, I agree. I was a TA for a couple classes when I was an undergrad in geology, and the "older" students (those who were in their 30's rather than their late teens/20's) were SO much more into it and were a lot of fun to work with. It was truly wonderful to see the light bulbs turning on in their heads...such joy and gusto for learning. Nothing against the young bucks out there, but in most cases, nontraditional students seem to have a better understanding of what the opportunity to learn actually means.

• Options
    http://extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/programs/it/masters/concen.jsp#engin

On other topics, I've said that after I get my Bachelor's degree, I will get one final Master's degree. I have a school that is currently ranked number 1, but I've wondered about trying this one. Even as an extension college, you can't beat the Harvard Name at a reasonably priced tuition and open admissions.

I won't make up my mind about my second graduate degree until around September/October of 2009. I want to see what WGU comes up with for their Master's in IT.
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:
    hi rt27 - glad to hear things are going smoothly for you. I've got a question though - if you're enrolled, aren't you obligated to attend & pay tuition regardless of whether you get financial aid? I'm certain that you will be able to get student loans (the costs for the school are below the annual max disbursement for both undergrad & grad school), but are you banking on grants/other aid?

I did realize that I didn't have to accept any loans that were offered to me if I were to apply for them, but I just didn't want to have to apply for loans that I wasn't sure I needed. Seeing how things turned out, I'm glad I was a little hesitant on that.
    well basically, I'll know 100% if I qualify for financial aid/loans a few days before I'm set to start. If I don't get it, I will un-enroll myself. If I don't enroll in any classes officially then how can they charge me? I mean they won't let me even start until I've paid, either with cash, credit, financial aid etc.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    MCPWannabe wrote:

On other topics, I've said that after I get my Bachelor's degree, I will get one final Master's degree. I have a school that is currently ranked number 1, but I've wondered about trying this one. Even as an extension college, you can't beat the Harvard Name at a reasonably priced tuition and open admissions.

I won't make up my mind about my second graduate degree until around September/October of 2009. I want to see what WGU comes up with for their Master's in IT.

I wouldn't trade a Masters from Harvard for anything. I've never thought about online schooling for a post-graduate degree, but I never thought about Harvard as an online graduate school candidate...that would be cool :D .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    skrpune wrote:

well basically, I'll know 100% if I qualify for financial aid/loans a few days before I'm set to start. If I don't get it, I will un-enroll myself. If I don't enroll in any classes officially then how can they charge me? I mean they won't let me even start until I've paid, either with cash, credit, financial aid etc.
    I was just curious. As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm uber-cautious about that stuff, but it sounds like you've got the situation covered.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the financial aid gods are smiling upon you! :D

• Options
    skrpune wrote:
    I was just curious. As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm uber-cautious about that stuff, but it sounds like you've got the situation covered.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the financial aid gods are smiling upon you! :D
    LOL, thanks I hope so too...But I'm in constant contact with my Enrollment counselor who also happens to be enrolled in the MBA program so I'm getting some decent communication on that front.

I quite honestly expect lousy service from the financial aid dept, both from your experience and from my experience at JC AND the B&M University I attended. Both messed with my mind more than I'd like to recall icon_sad.gif.
  • Options
    rt27 wrote:
    skrpune wrote:

LOL, thanks I hope so too...But I'm in constant contact with my Enrollment counselor who also happens to be enrolled in the MBA program so I'm getting some decent communication on that front.

I quite honestly expect lousy service from the financial aid dept, both from your experience and from my experience at JC AND the B&M University I attended. Both messed with my mind more than I'd like to recall icon_sad.gif.
    If you run into problems with WGU's financial aid office, try to get through to Stephanie - she comes highly recommended by the folks at the valvetrades WGU forum, and she was the one person I spoke with in that office who really had her shite together.

• Options
    skrpune wrote:
    @famosbrown, I agree. I was a TA for a couple classes when I was an undergrad in geology, and the "older" students (those who were in their 30's rather than their late teens/20's) were SO much more into it and were a lot of fun to work with. It was truly wonderful to see the light bulbs turning on in their heads...such joy and gusto for learning. Nothing against the young bucks out there, but in most cases, nontraditional students seem to have a better understanding of what the opportunity to learn actually means.

That's why I've said it's a really good opportunity, and you deserve it. I have no doubt that you will go on to get your Master's or Doctorate. It sounds like you have waited quite awhile for a second chance at the classroom. I think that you have a lot to look foward to in the future.
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    MCPWannabe wrote:

I wouldn't trade a Masters from Harvard for anything. I've never thought about online schooling for a post-graduate degree, but I never thought about Harvard as an online graduate school candidate...that would be cool :D .

I know. There are some really nice online opportunities right now.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCPWannabe wrote:

WGU just announced a Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance.

http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_security_assurance_degree.asp

I must also agree with you about the Harvard Extension masters. There is one catch; students must spend a semester on campus. The Harvard Extension graduate certificate in IT can be earned completely online. Compared to Phoenix and other for-profit schools, Harvard's tuition isn't that expensive.
  • Options
    oldbarney wrote:

http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/information_security_assurance_degree.asp

I must also agree with you about the Harvard Extension masters. There is one catch; students must spend a semester on campus. The Harvard Extension graduate certificate in IT can be earned completely online. Compared to Phoenix and other for-profit schools, Harvard's tuition isn't that expensive.

Very, very nice. This is the exact reason why I wanted to see what WGU came up with before making a decision on my second IT degree. They've been very, very innovative so far. Thank you for letting me see this link. This is a top of the line program for security and I haven't saw anything this cheap; plus, a core in the CISSP! Wow!

But I have to wait on WGU on this one because my interest isn't security. I want to see if they can offer a database or software track with an IT degree. But definitely, a very nice program.