Options

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    snadam wrote: »
    Somebody should tell NBC that icon_wink.gificon_lol.gifim-with-coco.jpg

Huh.... I wonder if i can get a 45 million dollar deal to leave CompTIA? icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I do get what you are saying, I must reiterate though, that I do believe that there were/are better ways to achieve the goal of increasing certification values without upsetting people. I think it was a bad move plain and simple.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Huh.... I wonder if i can get a 45 million dollar deal to leave CompTIA? icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I do get what you are saying, I must reiterate though, that I do believe that there were/are better ways to achieve the goal of increasing certification values without upsetting people. I think it was a bad move plain and simple.

I want in that settlement BTW :D

And I understand where you're coming from too. I don't necessarily agree with their new policy, especially the implementation of it either. I just see people making way too big of a deal than it actually is. Its completely understandable and acceptable to express your dislike in the manner of you and others have shown. However, the lawsuit talk and BBB reporting, and 'hoping they go bankrupt and shuts down' talk is a little extreme (and quite frankly, inappropriate).

To reiterate my point from earlier for everyone else, I think CompTIA "+ certs" are great entry level certs, and do a pretty good job teaching you the foundations. Once people stop correlating certs with dollar amounts or job status, maybe people will start realizing that icon_rolleyes.gif . Weather or not they are "worth it" now with this new shelf life, is solely based on the individual.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The CompTIA agreement also states that they are able to revise the terms of the agreement. In the event of an revision, your acknowledgment of a new agreement may be a condition of your continued certification.

And that's called "chickenshit". This happens in business all the time, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Many of the people that go for the entry-level certifications don't have a choice, they have to accept the terms of the agreement if they want that certification, which helps get them the entry-level job. It seems a bit unfair when you have a population of people by the short hairs to yank them around like this and not expect them to take a swing back.

I hold a couple of CompTIA certifications, but I really don't have a dog in this race. I will say this though, in any business to be successful one general rule is that you Don't sh(i)t where you eat. It appears that is exactly what CompTIA has done.

Personally I'd like to see some of CompTIA's certification numbers, especially in the last 3-5 year timeframe. I'm almost certain that they don't release these. I suspect two things. 1) Their overall certification numbers are way down, and 2) that there's more of an economic driver behind this for CompTIA than is being clearly stated.

MS
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think everyone should put on their big boy/girl panties and STFU!

The reason for the change to keep the certification current is for ISO certification. ISO certifications increases the importance/value of the certification.

I really couldn't disagree more with this.

Anything that's in an ISO certification can be exempted. It's as simple as the organization seeking the certification documenting that there is some body of customers to which a different policy applies, and showing a plan of how over time they accomplish whatever their goals are in line with the customer needs.

In fact, from what I know of the various ISO certifications (which is a lot), I would say that what they've done violates some of the things that are often required about communicating with customers and involving customers before making significant policy changes.

MS
  • Options
    However, the lawsuit talk and BBB reporting, and 'hoping they go bankrupt and shuts down' talk is a little extreme (and quite frankly, inappropriate).

I agree 100% with this statement. I personally don't want to see CompTIA go under, it would be bad for all of us. I'm also strongly against a lawsuit, I really think that this era of making a lawsuit for everything is ridiculous. I think this was a pathetically bad move, one that does upset me, but not to the point of joining or condoning a lawsuit.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291

To reiterate my point from earlier for everyone else, I think CompTIA "+ certs" are great entry level certs, and do a pretty good job teaching you the foundations. Once people stop correlating certs with dollar amounts or job status, maybe people will start realizing that icon_rolleyes.gif . Weather or not they are "worth it" now with this new shelf life, is solely based on the individual.

Ah, the voice of reason. Thank you. That's absolutely right. They helped a lot of us get a foot in the door for an IT job. Although for a general cert, three year renewals might be better as five years. Also, too many people speed through these certs, get an entry level job, and don't know what they're talking about. Continuing education should be enforced by management, but usually isn't. Re-certification would at least reinforce concepts that they should have known already, but often don't.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    either way. Being that I have higher level certs. I don't feel the need to recert their cert after it expires
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vogon Poet wrote: »
    Also, too many people speed through these certs, get an entry level job, and don't know what they're talking about. Continuing education should be enforced by management, but usually isn't. Re-certification would at least reinforce concepts that they should have known already, but often don't.

If they got through it the first time without learning it, what makes you think the second time will be any different ?

If their line manager, co-workers, employer, cannot ascertain their skill level, what chance does a multiple choice computer exam or a web based CEU system have ?

I suspect their employers can ascertain their skill level, in which case what point is there to the changes ?

Is it right to use re-certification as a band aid to poor management ?
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    dmarsh wrote: »
    Is it right to use re-certification as a band aid to poor management ?

That wasn't really the point. It was about those certified being up to date and not simply learning to pass and then forget it due to their lack of initiative.
    Either way, I don't see Comptia as an end cert program, but merely an introduction. Once one moves on to more advanced certs you don't need to worry about renewing.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Vogon Poet wrote: »
    That wasn't really the point. It was about those certified being up to date and not simply learning to pass and then forget it due to their lack of initiative.
    Either way, I don't see Comptia as an end cert program, but merely an introduction. Once one moves on to more advanced certs you don't need to worry about renewing.
    Personally, I think that Server+ and Linux+ should renew A+, Network+, and/or Security+. Linux+ was harder than the Security+ exam.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I have not taken the security+ and I will not now. I am glad the Linux+ was exempted. I won't take Net+ or A+ over again.

Just put on your resume A+ tech certified August 2005. You can let the HR people know that it is "un activated" at the moment. And if you get hired go retake the thing.

Why Net+ when you can CCNA?
    Why A+ when you can MSCA?

A+ as a requirement for tech support jobs is BS if you have experience it is only further adding to the racket that is COMPTia.

CompTIA = highschool
    CCNA,MCSA = 2 year degree
    CCNP,MCSE = 4 year degree
    CCIE = Masters
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    just a gentle correction there

CCIE is more like having a Ph. D than having a masters, especially if you pass it legitimately
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    just a gentle correction there

CCIE is more like having a Ph. D than having a masters, especially if you pass it legitimately

As a future CCIE R&S canidate I am glad to hear you say that. But, in reality if you work with Cisco in the field and have a CCNP at this point you will understand what I mean. It is no harder to obtain a CCIE R&S than it is to obtain a 2 year thesis based Master of Science in telecommunication/networking/IT. Both require 2 years of full time effort.

Opposed to the A+ which I did in 2 months part time. Memorize PC hardware and software troubleshooting tips; regurgitate on test. Not worth redoing every three years.

Cisco's new Architect certification that is above the CCIE on their certification track does a good job of acting as a Philosophy Doctorate equivalent from Cisco, But I would rather have an actual PhD. any day rather than a certification.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    fearisallihavefearisallihave Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I schedualed to take the 602 and the Bridge both before January 1st but did not take them until Jan 5 and Jan 12 respectively. I passed the 601 in Late November of 2009. I think that even tough I passed them both post Jan 1 it's a croc that I have to renew every 3 years because the agreement I made with Comptia BEFORE Jan 1 was that they would be life..I feel extremly cheated. When looking at my list of Certs on the Comptia sites they show as this still however

Active certificationsName Started Active ExpiresDownloadsCompTIA A+
    CompTIA A+ (2009 edition) 2009-Nov-17 2010-Jan-12 Never Logo
    CompTIA A+ (IT Technician) 2009-Nov-17 2010-Jan-05 Never Logo

Having JUST got A+..this discourages me from pursuing any further certs in the IT field at all who knows when Comptia will again or when any other cert companies will just decide to change the deal on me just like that. Is there nothing I can do about this at all?
  • Options
    I have a solution. Keep Security+ at three year rotation. Beef it up to compete with other security arena certifications. Spend money marketing new Security+ to HR departments.

Ok now retire Net+. You saved money not up keeping this exam CompTIA.

Now leave A+ at lifetime because it is like a high school diploma. My high school isn't making me go back to non-repudiate my skills.

Now create a new certification that is a windows and TCP/IP hybrid lets call it CCIA+ CompTIA certified IT Associate (I know there are better names) and make it 3 year rotation and spend a healthy chunk of change, buy TV ads, marketing the new certification.
  • Options
    dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think we all have various workable solutions, the optional bridge exam was fine for DoD purposes.

Lifetime certification with optional upgrade was fine for most people's purposes.

Sure drop the other exams if they are loss leaders, however don't take peoples certs away if you say they are for life.

I think people realise the two most marketable certs are A+ and Security+. Probably so do CompTIA hence the move, shoehorning N+ in just helps earn them more cash.

A certification is only as good as the word of the body that created it, right now CompTIA's word is worth nothing.

None of CompTIA's arguments make sense, I'd just wish they'd level with us, Server+, Linux+, Project+ don't expire, Server+ is similar to the A+ and Linux changes gradually over the years.

CompTIA were fine as entry level certs which were for life, if they try and beef up Security+ they will probably get nowhere, there are many pre-existing incumbent security certifications.

Most people took CompTIA certs because they were different, because they were entry level, vendor neutral and for life, these three prongs were the USP for CompTIA. This was their business model, this was also of benefit to entry level techs, the very people CompTIA profess to care about, why they are destroying it now I don't know. 100,000+ certified individuals a year for 10+ years isn't bad is it ?

I hear CompTIA have what around 1.2 million certified, Microsoft have 2.5 million, so CompTIA are doing pretty well for a vendor neutral cert from a not for profit company.

I don't care about TV ad's, glossy pamphlets, corporate branded web sites, none of this means anything if the company has no integrity...
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jeanathan wrote: »

Why Net+ when you can CCNA?
    Why A+ when you can MSCA?

A+ as a requirement for tech support jobs is BS if you have experience it is only further adding to the racket that is COMPTia.

Because not everyone wants to do Cisco, and some people aren't ready for Cisco. I can tell you that It was Net+ that gave me a passion for networking, not because of the material particularly, but it was a nice introduction that made me want to learn more.

Lol, comparing A+ to MCSA is completely out of the ballpark. A+ is designed to teach the skills of a desktop support/repair technician. MCSA Is specifically geared towards systems administration. MCDST would have been a better example there.

Bull. Studying for the A+ added a very decent amount to my knowledge base, even after working DS for years. Experience is limited to the situations you have encountered. I think there are very few people who dont believe in the benefits of the A+ cert, but at $300, retaining that certification is not generally a good business expense.
  • Options
    bsm2bsm2 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just image if every High School and College pulled this crap
    Sorry we changed the rules and your HS and College Degree are now set to expire and the only way is recertification through us every three years to keep your degree!

NO WAY

LIFETIME MEANS LIFETIME PERIOD!
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    jeanathan wrote: »
    As a future CCIE R&S canidate I am glad to hear you say that. But, in reality if you work with Cisco in the field and have a CCNP at this point you will understand what I mean. It is no harder to obtain a CCIE R&S than it is to obtain a 2 year thesis based Master of Science in telecommunication/networking/IT. Both require 2 years of full time effort.

Opposed to the A+ which I did in 2 months part time. Memorize PC hardware and software troubleshooting tips; regurgitate on test. Not worth redoing every three years.

Cisco's new Architect certification that is above the CCIE on their certification track does a good job of acting as a Philosophy Doctorate equivalent from Cisco, But I would rather have an actual PhD. any day rather than a certification.

Agreed with the Ph. D over any certification, but also your analogy is good but a little flawed, Cisco recommends you have 2 to 5 years of real world experience before you tackle the CCIE, and also consider the fail rate of the lab itself, only 20 percent can pass it on the first try, and the average is 3-4 times to take it before finally passing.

It's not easy by any means . . . . if it truly were as easy as you're suggesting, then there'd be a lot more CCIE's, let alone more CCIE's with multiple CCIE disciplines

as it is, there's less than 20? quad CCIE's
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    securageeksecurageek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone, CompTIA backs down: past certs remain valid for LIFE!

I guess the folks at CompTIA realized it wasn't fair to do that the people who were already certified. Thank goodness.

In addition to that, anyone who takes those exams during this year 2010 will remain certified for LIFE. But starting 2011, new certs will expire after 3 years.

I have a B.A. in Business Information Systems and I'm looking to getting the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+. I guess I would have to get to work ASAP so I can get the LIFE certs.

Source from Ars Technica: CompTIA backs down; past certs remain valid for life
    -SecuraGeek
    I.T. Assistant Administrator
    Tech Support
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    securageek wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, CompTIA backs down: past certs remain valid for LIFE!

I guess the folks at CompTIA realized it wasn't fair to do that the people who were already certified. Thank goodness.

In addition to that, anyone who takes those exams during this year 2010 will remain certified for LIFE. But starting 2011, new certs will expire after 3 years.

I have a B.A. in Business Information Systems and I'm looking to getting the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+. I guess I would have to get to work ASAP so I can get the LIFE certs.

Source from Ars Technica: CompTIA backs down; past certs remain valid for life

Thank you. For all of those who were complaining I told you this was going to happen. Now guys/girls you have a full year of notice.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Proud to say I am one of the first to complain with an email to CompTIA. Thanks to everyone who joined the protest.

Nerds Unite!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Sorry if this a repost, but I just had this forwarded over. Comptia has set the renewal policy to take effect on Jan 1, 2011... good news for me.. I now have 11 months to get Sec+... where's my book?...

Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome! icon_cheers.gif

Press Releases > CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy Clarified

Quote from CompTIA Press Release:
    All individuals currently certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and/or CompTIA Security+ will retain their “certified for life” status with no requirement to recertify or retest.

Can we all just quit fighting about this now?
  • Options
    This is great news. I think it goes to show that they (CompTIA) do listen to the community. I still think they should adopt a plan to add a mid-level certification program into their future.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    securageek wrote: »

Looks like Ars Technica carries more weight than I thought they did. Very interesting...
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like Ars Technica carries more weight than I thought they did. Very interesting...

and its also on CompTIAs official blog

I am happy that made this decision.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Can we all just quit fighting about this now?

Of course we can. Tomorrow's a new day, and there'll always be something else to fight about. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    On a more serious note, though. Aside from the short notice and the attempt to make existing cert-holders start renewing, I think it's a good move for CompTIA to make this change, requiring a cert to be up to date adds to its value in the long-run. CompTIA exams will still be a stepping-stone for newbies and low-level IT folks, and anyone not wanting to commit to updating their entry-level certs on a regular basis now has plenty of forewarning and can make an educated decision on what cert they want to pursue.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    securageeksecurageek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I'm glad that the protesting worked against CompTIA's decisions on LIFE certifications.

I don't have the certifications yet, and even I wasn't happy about it.

Like I said before, I'm going to work smart and try to get the CompTIA A+, Network+, and hopefully Security+ by the end of this year. I know it's a lot of work and study, but I'm willing to go for it to earn the LIFE certifications.

It's not a requirement from my employer, but it's something I would like to have as part of my credentials while I further in my career as an I.T. Security Professional. My career goal, Chief Information Security Officer.

Has anyone taken the CompTIA Training DVD courses from TrainSignal before? Because I'm looking into doing that to prepare for the certification exam and it looks really good. I have my own security lab set up at my home office with hardware and virtual machines for the hands-on part. Will these DVDs help me prepare for the exam when it comes time for me to take them?

Thanks in advanced.
    -SecuraGeek
    I.T. Assistant Administrator
    Tech Support