Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xocity wrote: »
    Have a question for whoever knows. I've been looking through the forums but this is a big thread. I want to schedule the "Microsoft MTA Software Development Fundamentals Exam 98-361" for the DJV1 class. When I get to the Certiport website, it asks me if I want to take the C# or the VB exam. Which one do I chose. My mentor just told me to wait for the voucher to come in to have clarification , i'm still waiting but I want to keep studying but don't know where to focus.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advanced.

All of the study material I've seen for 98-361 is in C#, so if you select VB the language and syntax won't look very similar (VB doesn't use curly brackets but does use stuff like "EndIf", also VB doesn't use semi-colons as statement terminators...VB just looks weird to me). If you happen to know some VB already, then that may be a better bet.

I'm not trying to be a downer or make you worry, but brush up on the first three objectives as much as you possibly can. There's been some complaints about the course content vs. the exam content (see the Course Chatter). Know your OOP pillars inside and out and learn what the different swipe menus are called from Windows 8's gestures (MS Learning shows "Store Apps" while all of the content still says "WinForms"...and MS swears nothing has changed). Best of luck, hope you kill it...literally...kill the exam.
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    All of the study material I've seen for 98-361 is in C#, so if you select VB the language and syntax won't look very similar (VB doesn't use curly brackets but does use stuff like "EndIf", also VB doesn't use semi-colons as statement terminators...VB just looks weird to me). If you happen to know some VB already, then that may be a better bet.

I'm not trying to be a downer or make you worry, but brush up on the first three objectives as much as you possibly can. There's been some complaints about the course content vs. the exam content (see the Course Chatter). Know your OOP pillars inside and out and learn what the different swipe menus are called from Windows 8's gestures (MS Learning shows "Store Apps" while all of the content still says "WinForms"...and MS swears nothing has changed). Best of luck, hope you kill it...literally...kill the exam.

Thank you @GSXR750K2 . I have been trying to reach out to my mentor and was insisted on asking the course mentor. The Course mentor hasn't responded. I will be focusing on C# and take it from there. Any books you can recommend that can prepare me for this exam?

Thank you!
  • Options
    Thank you @GSXR750K2 . I have been trying to reach out to my mentor and was insisted on asking the course mentor. The Course mentor hasn't responded. I will be focusing on C# and take it from there. Any books you can recommend that can prepare me for this exam?

Thank you!

Regrettably, the CMs are at the mercy of Microsoft as it's one of their exams. My assigned CM didn't get back with me either, so I got a hold of Cythina Lang (another CM), she responded to my emails in a very timely manner and she even went to take the exam herself after all the feedback they were getting from students. However, there must be a couple of different exam versions floating out there as she responded with...

"I did take the DJV1 certification a week and a half ago, and at that time I did not see the extra materials students had been reporting. Here is a list of resources for what we had been hearing from students:

Windows 8
    Gestures
    Window Store Apps
    IEnumerable Interface
    For your Windows Form Focus Questions the Event is “GotFocus”
    Hash Table
    MVC tutorial
    Boxing and unboxing in C#
    yield return in C#

Of those, I saw only the last item on the list above when I took the assessment."

I personally had the top 4 items and the last item on my two attempts, and the keyword "yield" isn't mentioned anywhere in the book (I had to go to MSDN for it). I ultimately went with the C173/C169 courses (Python/Java) which I sailed through both in a month. I just spent too much time on the 98-361 and programming to me is an infrequent side hobby. Send me a PM and I'll shoot you over the prescribed preparation that I received after my first attempt (too many links to put in here).

-EDIT-

I ended up with a high of 63%, but some have hit 85% on their first go from what I've read. It's not impossible, just confusing it seems.
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Regrettably, the CMs are at the mercy of Microsoft as it's one of their exams. My assigned CM didn't get back with me either, so I got a hold of Cythina Lang (another CM), she responded to my emails in a very timely manner and she even went to take the exam herself after all the feedback they were getting from students. However, there must be a couple of different exam versions floating out there as she responded with...

"I did take the DJV1 certification a week and a half ago, and at that time I did not see the extra materials students had been reporting. Here is a list of resources for what we had been hearing from students:

Windows 8
    Gestures
    Window Store Apps
    IEnumerable Interface
    For your Windows Form Focus Questions the Event is “GotFocus”
    Hash Table
    MVC tutorial
    Boxing and unboxing in C#
    yield return in C#

Of those, I saw only the last item on the list above when I took the assessment."

I personally had the top 4 items and the last item on my two attempts, and the keyword "yield" isn't mentioned anywhere in the book (I had to go to MSDN for it). I ultimately went with the C173/C169 courses (Python/Java) which I sailed through both in a month. I just spent too much time on the 98-361 and programming to me is an infrequent side hobby. Send me a PM and I'll shoot you over the prescribed preparation that I received after my first attempt (too many links to put in here).

-EDIT-

I ended up with a high of 63%, but some have hit 85% on their first go from what I've read. It's not impossible, just confusing it seems.

Sent PM. They have a python course? Im in the BS-IT maybe its for the BS-IT-Software track
  • Options
    Sent PM. They have a python course? Im in the BS-IT maybe its for the BS-IT-Software track

I'm in the Security track. I think some programming is required regardless of focus.

It was offered as an alternative to DJV1. It’s a two-part deal, one easy Python course and a nice Java course. I think many have transitioned or are in the process of transitioning to it.

I'm on my phone at the moment, I'll reply to the PM when I get back to my computer.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So what I gather is that WGU has replaced all of the previous MTA and CIW-based classes with in-house exams. Is that correct?

Does getting the CIW and MTA certs prior to enrolling still give students credit? I'll be enrolling in a few months and would like to get some of it knocked out now.
  • Options
    So what I gather is that WGU has replaced all of the previous MTA and CIW-based classes with in-house exams. Is that correct?

Does getting the CIW and MTA certs prior to enrolling still give students credit? I'll be enrolling in a few months and would like to get some of it knocked out now.

As of now, it looks like yes. Scroll to the bottom and select the degree program you're interested in to see what transfers in.

http://sh.wgu.edu/articles/StudentHandbook/2888
  • Options
    Thanks. Do you think it would be better to go ahead and take the CIW and MTA exams prior to enrolling? I can probably knock them out within a couple months (on top of the other certs I'm working on).
  • Options
    Thanks. Do you think it would be better to go ahead and take the CIW and MTA exams prior to enrolling? I can probably knock them out within a couple months (on top of the other certs I'm working on).

That would probably depend on how many you plan on doing before enrolling. Doing one or two would be a marginal gain for time invested and money spent. If you planned on three or more then it would be worth it from a time standpoint as it would probably put you a month or so ahead. I personally would only go for the CIW or MTA exams for school credit as they are relatively flimsy in the real world (one reason WGU has cut them).

Ultimately you'd have to weigh the combined cost of the certs you plan on taking versus the time you think it would take you to knock out their equivalent WGU courses. If the CIW/MTA topics are easy to you, maybe consider toughing out the WGU courses and start hitting the CCNA content now (depending on your program)...if one fire is under control shift your focus on the next largest one.
  • Options
    OK. I have pretty much everything covered except for the webdev, scripting, and DB classes. I'll pick up those certs, and see how it goes! Thanks for the advice!

MTA & CIW will be used strictly for credit. I doubt I would ever put them on my resume unless I applied for a job that specifically asked for MTA and CIW, and the chances of that are lower than zero.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I'm just wondering out of curiosity how much all the certs I have would count. After the DBA (1.5yrs to go), may be bored, go backwards and go for an MIS. Why not. It's always fun to learn.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    krayskrays Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone!
    I am new here and just wanted to thank you all for contributing to this awesome forum. I am scheduled to begin the BSIT-NA track on June 1st. So far everything with enrollment is going smoothly, aside from a hiccup in access to my student portal. A call to student services quickly resolved that. I was only able to transfer in 6 CU's icon_sad.gif so it looks like I've got a long road ahead. Unfortunately my lousy MTA:OS Fundamentals didn't transfer in or waive any units. Is it advisable to try to blast through all of the objective pre-assessments first, study anything that needs brushing up on then testing out as quickly as possible? I know this is subjective but I suppose I'm looking for general consensus. Thanks!
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    krays wrote: »
    Is it advisable to try to blast through all of the objective pre-assessments first, study anything that needs brushing up on then testing out as quickly as possible? I know this is subjective but I suppose I'm looking for general consensus. Thanks!

I definitely recommend doing the pre-assessments first. The coaching report will tell you what you need to work on. Do you have access to your courses yet?

You'll definitely want to finish as quickly as possible to save both time and money on your end. This doesn't mean rushing through and barely skating by though.
  • Options
    krayskrays Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LordSevink wrote: »
    I definitely recommend doing the pre-assessments first. The coaching report will tell you what you need to work on. Do you have access to your courses yet?

You'll definitely want to finish as quickly as possible to save both time and money on your end. This doesn't mean rushing through and barely skating by though.

Thanks for your quick response LordSevink. No I don't have access to my courses yet. I am still waiting for WGU to get their ducks in a row with my enrollment. It certainly makes sense, considering the objective assessments appear to be the 'low hanging fruit' so to speak. Not implying that they are easy, but just that they can be tested out of, rather than requiring any projects, essays etc. I already have a mortgage and car payment, so I just want to do whatever possible to keep my costs down. For now I am in limbo, but I'm sure I'll have more relevant questions soon!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received my evaluation and got a letter stating what I need to finish my Bachelors degree. These are the 'banner codes' I need to complete (Pardon my post not being spaced out, for some reason the enter key doesn't do anything when I'm on techexams at work) Here are the codes (C176, C179, C246, C247, C299, C435, C436, C480 and C484). Can anyone give me some insight on any of them? I see that I don't need a programming course any more, woohoo!
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I received my evaluation and got a letter stating what I need to finish my Bachelors degree. These are the 'banner codes' I need to complete (Pardon my post not being spaced out, for some reason the enter key doesn't do anything when I'm on techexams at work) Here are the codes (C176, C179, C246, C247, C299, C435, C436, C480 and C484). Can anyone give me some insight on any of them? I see that I don't need a programming course any more, woohoo!

*C176 - CompTIA Project+ (Drink coffee...the study materials are extremely "meh" as is the exam...I watched Trainsignal's (now Pluralsight) video series, more informative in my opinion than that uCertify crap)

*C179 - Business of IT (Not sure about this one, may be a revamped version of Principles of Management?)

*C246 and C247 - CCNA

*C299 - CCNA Security

*C435 - Technical Writing (basically proposing a project)

*C436 - Capstone (basically how the proposed project went including any problems that occurred)

*C484 - Organizational Behavior and Leadership

C176 and C484 share some similar content, do these back to back in either order. *IF* C179 is indeed a new flavor of Principles of Management, then it too ties in with C179 and C484 as far as content goes.
  • Options
    I think I will struggle with C435 and C436. I have to make all of that stuff up since I am in no position to write anything security related due to me not being in the field currently. Thanks for tip on 176 and 484, I didn't think about that :). I'm going to assume C179 is programming. The catalog page WGU provided me with doesn't fully match up with the PDF file that they have on the home page so there is a little confusion as to what that course really is. It's named:

Business of IT - Applications

• Options
    I think I will struggle with C435 and C436. I have to make all of that stuff up since I am in no position to write anything security related due to me not being in the field currently. Thanks for tip on 176 and 484, I didn't think about that :). I'm going to assume C179 is programming. The catalog page WGU provided me with doesn't fully match up with the PDF file that they have on the home page so there is a little confusion as to what that course really is. It's named:

Business of IT - Applications

From the program guide...

Business of IT – Applications
    This course introduces IT students to information systems (IS). The course includes important topics related to management of information systems (MIS), such as system development, and business continuity. The course also provides an overview of management tools and issue tracking systems. It covers the following competencies:
     -The graduate defines the general principles of information systems (IS) and the role of IS in the business process within an organization.
     -The graduate defines the different methods of system development and selects the appropriate method for a project.
     -The graduate identifies the role of management in information systems and the necessity for security and contingency plans.
     -The graduate recognizes the need for support center tool, and identifies ways to manage the support processes.
  • Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got an email saying they've received my transcripts from my current community college. That was the last thing I was waiting for; already submitted proof of my certifications 2 weeks ago. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to receive your evaluation after they get everything?
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Just got an email saying they've received my transcripts from my current community college. That was the last thing I was waiting for; already submitted proof of my certifications 2 weeks ago. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to receive your evaluation after they get everything?

It took a little over a week from them receiving transcripts to deciding what would transfer and giving me the eval.

If you start next month, they may not take that long.
  • Options
    From the program guide...

Business of IT – Applications
    This course introduces IT students to information systems (IS). The course includes important topics related to management of information systems (MIS), such as system development, and business continuity. The course also provides an overview of management tools and issue tracking systems. It covers the following competencies:
     -The graduate defines the general principles of information systems (IS) and the role of IS in the business process within an organization.
     -The graduate defines the different methods of system development and selects the appropriate method for a project.
     -The graduate identifies the role of management in information systems and the necessity for security and contingency plans.
     -The graduate recognizes the need for support center tool, and identifies ways to manage the support processes.

Sweet deal. Thanks again. There were multiple things labeled applications and I just stopped looking.

Great. No programming for me, thank God
  • Options
    TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone here know if WGU Bachelors degree will satisfy an E2 Visa?

Also with my current certifications, with Security+ soon to be added to my list, which would be the quickest route to a Bachelors degree?

I think the Security flavored bachelors would compliment my current skill set, but I could be wrong.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Say that I took the ICND1 exam while attending WGU and pass it, will they give me the credit for it? I want to buy a voucher from someone just to get a feel for the exam before WGU makes me take it but there is a chance I will pass. I don't want to take it twice but I have a feeling that I will fail it the first time. Maybe I'm just super antsy
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    doesnt WGU let you have 2 tries?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Say that I took the ICND1 exam while attending WGU and pass it, will they give me the credit for it? I want to buy a voucher from someone just to get a feel for the exam before WGU makes me take it but there is a chance I will pass. I don't want to take it twice but I have a feeling that I will fail it the first time. Maybe I'm just super antsy

WGU will pay for two exam attempts. After failing twice, you have to pay for each subsequent attempt.

You can take and pass the exam at any time (granted your student mentor has to enroll you in the class first if you want WGU to provide the voucher to you). Then you simply submit a special form and your exam printout to WGU and the class will be complete. The course information within your student portal will give you all of the details.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options

In addition to srabiee's explanation, if you do fail once, you have to jump through some hoops in order to satisfy the course mentors (each course has it's own criteria of what you have to do). Once they think you are more prepared, they will permit your student mentor to let you schedule the exam again.

Also, you must have any certifications that are to count for credit turned in so many days/weeks before your first term starts. If you pass on the April 28th and are starting May 1st, there's a pretty definite chance you'll be taking the exam over again. Check with your enrollment counselor on the time frames. I had passed the CCDA in February of 2014 trying to do what you are, knock out one more class, but I was told if I wanted it to count my start date would be pushed back to April 2014 (I was slated to start in March 2014) because certs for credit must be in one month before my start date. I went ahead and started in March and when the program changed in August they did a reevaluation at my request (technically I changed programs from the old to the new) and counted my CCDA for CRV1 (Net+), so it ultimately worked out in my particular case.

The one month prior requirement may have changed since last year. Better to be safe than sorry, check with your enrollment guy/gal about when things need to be done and submitted.
  • Options
    TheReceiverTheReceiver Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can someone PM me the information for someone within WGU that seems competent. I really need to know if this school's bachelors degree can satisfy the E2 visa, it really shouldnt take a week to figure this stuff out
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like WGU but i hate how you got prove you can pass a test before they let you take a test. It's like they hold their tests hostage.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Curchel wrote: »
    I like WGU but i hate how you got prove you can pass a test before they let you take a test. It's like they hold their tests hostage.

Nothing stopping you from Googling the answers while you're taking it. A lot of those practice tests too you're able to resubmit the answer. If I'm confident in the actual test or exam, I have no problem doing that to get my voucher or test.
  • Options
    Curchel wrote: »

Consider how many students in traditional schools would love to have the option to say "Look, I know this stuff, here's the proof, let me take the final." Plus the exams cost the school money. I'm sure there are proctor charges for objective exams, TaskStream has their own evaluators they have to pay so WGU has that fee probably under a term agreement of some kind, and certification exams (while most likely discounted) can still run up to a couple hundred dollars each depending on the certification in question. WGU is non-profit, but they have to keep the lights on so we can get our degrees. :)

It's a prudent measure from a business standpoint to make sure a student at least stands an okay chance of passing before spending the money on them to take an exam, and if people were free to take finals whenever they wanted the failure rate would be much higher which could hurt the reputation of the school and depict them as some other online universities. The pre-assessments serve a dual purpose.